Roads under stations (location?)

@keysan Here you go, not sure about his style but it does show the underbridge you refer to, I imagine it's still there behind those gates but full of rubbish.

It's been bricked up since his video, just a little access panle left where that bolt was in the video.

image.png.90cac1eb3a69558f219c88a68797e312.png

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Fenchurch street station. This has a road under it with a pub in the arches, then an office block on top.

Fenchurch_Street_railway_station_Coopers_Row_entrance_-_DSC06965.JPG.aa223c51a147910fb3e7aa0c8d67ec50.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

@keysan Here you go, not sure about his style but it does show the underbridge you refer to, I imagine it's still there behind those gates but full of rubbish.

It's been bricked up since his video, just a little access panle left where that bolt was in the video.

Thank you for this. The whole 6 part series is worth a watch and remember this line is just about still open. The freight traffic as none stop in the early 80's and bringing Eastern locos over the Pennines after Woodhead closed. My memory was not 100%, I thought it was next to the railway line where the new steps going up are.

16 minutes ago, keysan said:

Thank you for this. The whole 6 part series is worth a watch and remember this line is just about still open. The freight traffic as none stop in the early 80's and bringing Eastern locos over the Pennines after Woodhead closed. My memory was not 100%, I thought it was next to the railway line where the new steps going up are.

The wall is definitely where the gates were, I looked closely at the video and Google Streetview, where the steps are would be where the lower station was.

image.png.d7b0933bbf95caaf2f4b850b6e31e080.png

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I read the last bit like the old drunk in The Fast Show!

tenor.gif

'The Old Drunk' !!!!

Rowley Birkin QC, young man!

Three Bridges station (West Sussex) has Worth Park Avenue going below the platforms. I used to see various trains stopped on the western side of the station from the road below. Google maps shows it as Haslett Avenue East, but the road name sign for Worth Park Avenue was actually on the bridge support walls when I was younger. Maybe that was changed later on. On the eastern side (in Pound Hill, where I used to live in the early to mid 1960s), the East Grinstead branch train could sometimes be seen from the road.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@51.1184997,-0.1616781,3a,75y,84.38h,94.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snC9mrvq4wmGoiZbNcMpL8A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@51.1175833,-0.1611876,17.33z?entry=ttu

• Thanks 1

York, where Leeman Road goes under several platforms en route to the NRM.
Stroud Gloucestershire where the platforms extend onto a viaduct which crosses a road
Nairn Scotland on the Aberdeen - Inverness line the road drops down under the platforms.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Portsmouth and Southsea High level must be a prototype for many unlikely things - and has a road under it! In fact the whole thing is basically a bridge.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Linlithgow, station road still passes under the station although that bit is pedestrianised now.

20240327_083706462.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hoveton and Wroxham station, the original platforms stopped at the road bridge one end and the river bridge the other. But the sidings and the branch line to Aylsham ( now the Bure valley railway) were the other side of the road bridge. So the station limits were over the river and well beyond the road bridge.

• Thanks 1

Well one of the most striking must've been at Hawick, where Mansfield Road left the A7 adjacent to the Station pub, and passed beneath the platforms which spanned both it and the river Teviot on the viaduct of that name.

A dozen miles or so away at the rural market town of Newton St Boswells, the A68 burrowed right under the heart of this classic junction station, whose component parts make for a compelling model.

• Thanks 1

Or for something slightly different.

Opened in  November 1987, Waungron Park (Cardiff) located on 'The City Line'

The 'up' Radyr bound platform supports  are built out from the steel girders of the bridge over Waungron Road, and linked to a further, new girder.

Pre-cast concrete platform sections were then lowered into place. 

The 'down' (Cardiff bound) platform is atop an embankment.

Both platforms are currently being extended for the Transport for Wales 'Metro' tram-trains (Class 398).

Waungron Park-1.jpg

Waungron Park-3.jpg

Waungron Park-2.jpg

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Birmingham Moor Street station where Park Street (now truncated for Curzon Street Station build) goes under Moor Street Station and over the New Street lines, which also go under Moor Street Station:

image.png.60ad385b47a7cf81bb838e80d07665cb.png

Also Bordesley Station (near derelict and likely to close)  which is over the A45 Coventry Road.

The entrance is underneath at road level.

image.png.659ade3e417a2b60f8ea17414e42f924.png

image.png.9a8e80367dc6942eaae1ad0aa930c672.png

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Dockers' umbrella

1200px-Liverpool_Overhead_Railway_-_Every_boys_book_of_railways_and_steamships_(1911)_(14572313920)_(cropped).jpg.b345350628625491ea6e514012ddcf34.jpg

Which for some distance had another railway running underneath it.

Pity it went, it would've been a great facility these days.

• Agree 1