Roads under stations (location?)

This cropped up in my news feed yesterday: Leake Street under Waterloo (Main Line) in London, known for its profusion of graffiti as "Banksy's Tunnel", though I don't think there's a genuine Banksy anywhere near it. If there was, someone would have started demolishing the station by now.

https://www.mylondon.news/whats-on/whats-on-news/banksy-tunnel-hidden-underneath-waterloo-24342757

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/03/2024 at 17:26, cornelius said:

London Bridge, Charing Cross.

And one of the roads under London Bridge station, which had an atmosphere consisting chiefly of diesel fumes, had a stone set in the brickwork marking the boundary between South Eastern Railway and LB&SCR territory.  Also iron doors leading to former bonded stores - haven't ventured under there for a few years so don't know whether these features survived the drastic reconstruction of the station.

I know you said uk, but I give you Utrecht Vaartsche Rijn. Built over three roads and a canal. (The busiest road is further to the left). New station built in 2016.

Utrecht_Vaartsche_Rijn_2016_7.jpg

Quite a lot of Dutch stations seem to have roads under them - Utrecht Centraal and Rotterdam Centraal are two others that come to mind.

• Thanks 1

There's loads of them.   Just in my neck of the woods in S/SW London and off the top of my head there's Carshalton, Wallington, Purley, Coulsdon Town, Raynes Park, Esher, Byfleet & New Haw, Leatherhead, Redhill, Wandsworth Town, Queenstown Road and Vauxhall.

• Thanks 1

On the Cambrian Coast lines, the down platform at Machynlleth extends over the road on the bridge, though the up platform does not.

Tywyn Station has both platforms over the road, and in some telephoto type images the "hump" in the track is quite pronounced.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TJ52 said:

So many I can't understand why the question was asked!

When I first read the question my immediate reaction was that he couldn't possibly be asking about roads passing below stations (approximately) orthogonally and so he must be asking about examples where roads run under stations approximately parallel to the railway above. I could think of a number of cases of terminal stations where the cab road would qualify for that but I couldn't offhand think of any examples of public roads (except for a possible oblique example at Vauxhall) but there must be one or two examples of that somewhere in the UK surely?

Posted (edited)

Nope, I'm useless with stations/roads. I knew banksy tunnel and also snowhill only because I'm looking at a girder bridge not too far from Snowhill station. Any others (a small handful) I could think of were at the end of the platforms. 

My dad knows is stuff but he is dealing with health issues at the moment.

I'm trying to crack on. In the hope he will get better and he can enjoy the layout. 👍

PS. I'm very grateful for all the suggestions!

Edited by Moley48
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 29/03/2024 at 09:49, bécasse said:

examples where roads run under stations approximately parallel to the railway above. 

This is along those lines, if you'll excuse the pun. It's the forecourt access road rather than a normal public one though.

Screenshot_20240401_073406_Opera.jpg.6acb87720164be30802dc3ee080d6c92.jpg

658d0fff668a011bef01e241b48887c3.jpg.fca19b2f9444964efe484b8c55e4c810.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A road under a station makes most sense, as it connects both sides of an elevated railway line that doesnt interfere with the community it runs through that way.

Norwood Junction

Battersea Park

Queenstown road

Clapham High Street

Wandsworth Road

Peckham Rye

loughborough jn

Elephant and Castle

Carshalton

Wallington

Balham - famously had a bomb hit and going into the tube space taking a bus into the hole with it in ww2

Edited by adb968008

On 29/03/2024 at 09:49, bécasse said:

When I first read the question my immediate reaction was that he couldn't possibly be asking about roads passing below stations (approximately) orthogonally and so he must be asking about examples where roads run under stations approximately parallel to the railway above. I could think of a number of cases of terminal stations where the cab road would qualify for that but I couldn't offhand think of any examples of public roads (except for a possible oblique example at Vauxhall) but there must be one or two examples of that somewhere in the UK surely?

Elevated railways provide one example of railways and (sometimes) stations built above and parallel to roads. More common in the US (and beloved of Hollywood - think about the car chase in the French Connection), the 'Docker's Umbrella' is the obvious example, often with dock railway lines inset into the roadways.

JS100289520.jpg

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/remembering-dockers-umbrella-used-stretch-21635783

Might we still have it if the structural steelwork had bene patched up back in the fifties - or would it have bene swept away in the 'modernism' of the sixties?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The "Dockers Umbrella" gives you the opportunity of having a level crossing under a railway, as well as tracks in the roadway.

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

A road under a station makes most sense, as it connects both sides of an elevated railway line that doesnt interfere with the community it runs through that way.

Norwood Junction

Battersea Park

Queenstown road

Clapham High Street

Wandsworth Road

Peckham Rye

loughborough jn

Elephant and Castle

Carshalton

Wallington

Balham - famously had a bomb hit and going into the tube space taking a bus into the hole with it in ww2

Norwood Junction bridge, a place where a number of Londaon Transport double deck buses have lost their roofs over the years.

My first day driving railway replacement buses for Connex Bus (over 20 years ago)  involved driving right up to said bridge, then taking the turning off to the right.

On 28/03/2024 at 18:34, EddieK said:

On the Cambrian Coast lines, the down platform at Machynlleth extends over the road on the bridge, though the up platform does not.

Tywyn Station has both platforms over the road, and in some telephoto type images the "hump" in the track is quite pronounced.

Further along the line -  Minffordd with standard gauge under the narrow gauge station. Which is a fairly unique combination.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/03/2024 at 20:59, TJ52 said:

So many I can't understand why the question was asked!

Terry

To broaden knowledge, and it also serves as a good resource for future reference. My layout will be over a road and may well need some creative licence to make it fit so a few good examples doesn't hurt.

• Like 1

While not directly under the station, just to the south of Woking station there is a bridge that goes under the four main lines, about four sidings on the down side and some of the up sidings (maybe the old loco stabling point?). I'm guessing about 10 tracks.

From a modelling point of view the bridges both sides of Woking, the roads are fairly narrow and pitch points for road traffic in the middle of the unlovely town centre.