RMweb

Blue Peter Returns to full strength.

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Haven't seen anything else on here so I announce that 60532 has been doing Full Load Trials somewhere and is looking and sounding magnificent. I've not knowingly heard an A2 exhaust before and it's superb.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Four shots from last Wednesday taken from the Engine House at Highley. Agree looks and sounds magnificent 

IMG_0419.jpeg.0d67b014ffd28f03440d7df63c0d65b6.jpeg

IMG_0420.jpeg.2d9d558f78f1597c4647ca6e0ba94f77.jpeg

IMG_0422.jpeg.130b0b1ca0714c959771f68aacc8905a.jpeg

IMG_0421.jpeg.1379cc187a94e60b92e27025601f2147.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't apply the final livery until its finished its post-rebuild trials and you can be reasonably sure you won't have to take it all to bits again. See FS in various black liveries. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Ramrig said:

Four shots from last Wednesday taken from the Engine House at Highley. Agree looks and sounds magnificent 

IMG_0419.jpeg.0d67b014ffd28f03440d7df63c0d65b6.jpeg

IMG_0420.jpeg.2d9d558f78f1597c4647ca6e0ba94f77.jpeg

IMG_0422.jpeg.130b0b1ca0714c959771f68aacc8905a.jpeg

IMG_0421.jpeg.1379cc187a94e60b92e27025601f2147.jpeg

Oh thanks matey. Great shots.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I believe it's Air Braked Stock of course. Someone mentioned first AB Stock hauled by an A2 and 'even' Peter?

Phil

I should imagine so, she's only been fitted with air brakes at the latest overhaul.

Still rather baffled why they're going for Express Blue livery however.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Bon Accord said:

Still rather baffled why they're going for Express Blue livery however.

To stop people on Facebook asking why it's green.

• Like 3
  • Funny 10

Happy to be corrected, but whilst the Peppercorn A1's carried early BR Blue, I'd thought that the timing of the A2 builds meant that none of them passed through Works at the time that livery was being applied, so going direct from LNER Apple Green to BR Brunswick.

Obviously the owners can use whatever colour they wish (though hopefully not Porterbrook Purple!) and I'm sure it'll look absolutely stunning when the lining out is complete.

John.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Haven't seen anything else on here so I announce that 60532 has been doing Full Load Trials somewhere and is looking and sounding magnificent. I've not knowingly heard an A2 exhaust before and it's superb.

Phil

The proof of the pudding will be an ascent from Axminster to Honiton tunnel; hopefully not too far into the future..... 

60532 rather blotted her copy book in the 1960s attempt and it would be nice to see how an A2 on form compares with the likes of 35028 and 71000.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Happy to be corrected, but whilst the Peppercorn A1's carried early BR Blue, I'd thought that the timing of the A2 builds meant that none of them passed through Works at the time that livery was being applied, so going direct from LNER Apple Green to BR Brunswick.

Obviously the owners can use whatever colour they wish (though hopefully not Porterbrook Purple!) and I'm sure it'll look absolutely stunning when the lining out is complete.

John.

Only 8Ps got BR Blue I'm afraid.

A2s weren't eligible, same goes for the WC/BBs, Castles, Scots, V2s, etc.

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

John.

At least it’s not Apple Green. Not a big fan of that livery. Looking forward to seeing an in steam line up of A1 A2 A3 & A4 at some point in the future, 2025 in the North East perhaps 😉

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

My Hornby B12 did!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Only the V2 boilered A2/1's (60507-60510) were rated 7P6F, the rest were 8P7F (and utilised accordingly) so should have been eligible for blue.

However, by the time Blue Peter emerged from the works with a double chimney, BR had stopped painting anything blue due to it's poor durability in service.

Pity everybody seemed to have forgotten that by the 1960s!

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

I'm reminded of the response in an open letter to the enthusiast press  by the owners of the last flying Sea Vixen G-CVIX to the howls of protest when it emerged in Red Bull colours. To paraphrase:

"It costs £60,000 to fill up the tank, the Red Bull sponsorship has underwritten our operating costs for the next three years. If those howling in protest would care to send us a check with at least 6 zeros on it in three years time we'll paint it whatever colour they want."

Rule 1 applies, it's literally their train (set). 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 3

14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

That may well be true in principle, but apparently the A3's were 7P6F, at least before they got Kylchap exhausts and double chimneys. Some of them were blue in the late 40's, early 50's.

Sounds like yet another rule honoured in the breach!!

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Paint it blue so people dont confuse it with Tornado.

😀

I for one am someone who can’t tell the difference between blue Peter and tornado, they look the same to me at a glance! 

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Mix of buffered and non buffered (HST) mk3’s…

Are the mk3’s owned by LSL too?

The mk3s are SVR stock, normally parked outside the carriage sheds in Kidderminster when I’ve passed by 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The proof of the pudding will be an ascent from Axminster to Honiton tunnel; hopefully not too far into the future..... 

60532 rather blotted her copy book in the 1960s attempt and it would be nice to see how an A2 on form compares with the likes of 35028 and 71000.

John  

I'd pay for that!

• RMweb Premium

Again, for the weirdly thinking and going on about eligibility for that Blue!

Its a 'cover coat' for protection only. It may be an Undercoat as a blue like this is excellent for under a BR Green. AS someone so kindly pointed out earlier, you don't do a full Paint job UNTIL its' proven and passed 100%.

I'd love to see this on the York to Carnforth Route. Or fast south of York; that would be interesting.

It must be in top condition after the outfit that have sorted it released it for Trials. Brilliant Engineers.

Phi 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/03/2024 at 12:44, big jim said:

I for one am someone who can’t tell the difference between blue Peter and tornado, they look the same to me at a glance! 

The mk3s are SVR stock, normally parked outside the carriage sheds in Kidderminster when I’ve passed by 

...that'll be down to driving too many 66s Jim...the very definition of all the bleedin' same.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4