Hornby TT Easter announcement 2024

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Ok well that was to be honest a waste of time. 
The HST in a box set no dates and really just updates on models already listed we can assume are next. Yet nothing on the 50 or 66. 
Oh and they are 45 foot containers not inch! 😆

From the new range link

https://uk.Hornby.com/new-2024/new-Hornby-tt120?langPath=Hornby-uk&filters[mandatory_filter_by][product_group]=Hornby New TT120&page_id=142853&sort-by=8&page=3

The HST pack and other ‘new announcements’ due in Autumn

IMG_5926.jpeg.80c60562b4d6c89c67d60178a1c0c828.jpeg

The signals are described as GWR / LMS look like rail built SR ones to me?

IMG_5922.jpeg.32ced5730623a247066b7dbbe4539f8d.jpeg

50 listed as spring and 66 as autumn releases. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

how can you say that, j50's coming this autumn, new container wagons to go with the 66's, signals might look abit bland but they are needed. all useful stuff

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I guess the J50 makes sense with so much of the range being Eastern Region. 

Hopefully we’ll get the Jinty one day. Think I have what I needed to commit to my branch line layout (J50 and green Class 08) and the scale as it is. Class 37 (since it looks like they’ll be doing an early green livery) or 31 in the future plus a DMU I can be patient for. If Peco bring out some more goods wagons too that’d be great this year.

The pricing without the club discount is a little hard to bear though. £26 for a tank wagon… ouch.

Edited by moawkwrd

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

signals might look abit bland but they are needed.

The signals don’t go with anything they produce. The only place you’ll find a SR rail built signal and any of the locos is on the Marchwood branch (which are both bracket signals) and not with the containers or tanks in the liveries produced. 
Ok for trainset but useless for a realistic model. 
I’ve just bought the HST so yes I like the scale but this is still a mess of a range with no joined up thinking and silly errors in the commentary. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

The signals don’t go with anything they produce. The only place you’ll find a SR rail built signal and any of the locos is on the Marchwood branch (which are both bracket signals) and not with the containers or tanks in the liveries produced. 
I’ve just bought the HST so yes I like the scale but this is still a mess of a range with no joined up thinking and silly errors in the commentary. 

fair point on the signals, i do think the range is starting to get joined up, it was never going to be joined up at the start, they needed stuff that sells and that's well recognised loco's, hence the a3 etc, its starting to come together

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad to have not gone down the TT:120 route for now. I fear this pace of release will not sustain the scale in the way that Simon K had hoped based on the launch 18 months ago. I'm sure they'll be many who are happy with this but for me they need to have released Phase 2 in it's entirety and we should be well into Phase 3 (as they had planned to). I suspect those who weren't going to have held the course would have already jumped (as some youtubers have).

As ever I do wish them the best with this and hope it grows the hobby. The J50 is a smart choice though and nice to see the class 37 development journey.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jonnyuk said:

fair point on the signals, i do think the range is starting to get joined up, it was never going to be joined up at the start, they needed stuff that sells and that's well recognised loco's, hence the a3 etc, its starting to come together

Far too slowly, where are the LNER coaches for the A3 / A4 still? Somewhere in the future on a list. More Pullmans, no use for multiple rakes as they were a rarity. 
The TTA is still the only wagon for the BR blue 08 to shunt. 
The J50 is contemporary with the LNER Pacific’s and has stock being produced for it already so that is welcome as currently nothing for the Peco or Hornby 4 wheel steam era wagons except the vans and BR livery Pacific’s. 

• Agree 2

Hornby seem determined to miss opportunities and deny themselves sales. The range needs to be coherent. 

Flying Scotsman is all very well but nothing steam for GWR or Southern is crazy. A Pannier tank would sell like hot cakes.

And then this text describing a home signal on today's announcements 

"The red arms are often seen before signals with yellow arms, which signify 'distant' or 'caution'. A semaphore signal is used as per early GWR and LMS operating days"

Are they paying these people?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Railpassion said:

Hornby seem determined to miss opportunities and deny themselves sales. The range needs to be coherent. 

Flying Scotsman is all very well but nothing steam for GWR or Southern is crazy. A Pannier tank would sell like hot cakes.

And then this text describing a home signal on today's announcements 

"The red arms are often seen before signals with yellow arms, which signify 'distant' or 'caution'. A semaphore signal is used as per early GWR and LMS operating days"

Are they paying these people?

This is what happens when you run a model train company with people who know nothing about trains!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

This is what happens when you run a model train company with people who know nothing about trains!

CJI.

I think Hornby's designers would take great exception to that statement.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Phil Parker said:

Perhaps so - in that case, it might be best if they proof-read Hornby's press releases, etc.!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

However PECO has already announced signals, so anyone wanting "proper" GWR and LMS ones would be better waiting for those.

These are the GWR ones.

https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Peco-LK-12142-GWR-Bracket-SIgnal-Signal-Kit-TT120_LK-12142_N108752766

Jason

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

new container wagons to go with the 66's

Those container liveries have already been announced by Arnold as a second run of those wagons so those were a bit of a cheat. However, a lot of people won't know about Arnold so it will probably boost sales, especially in shops if they are reboxed as Hornby.

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Surprised there isn't any Gurt Western stuff yet.  I'd have thought a pannier and B set would have kept them Western fans fed for a while? 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

To be fair Phil as most modellers just don’t get the randomness you do begin to wonder if there’s much knowledge as the range is so disjointed. Ok TT is aimed at a new market but by ignoring the modeller end? 
I’ve bought three pacifics with only one set of dubiously appropriate coaches, an 08 for which so far there’s one wagon released and the HST in blue that’s waiting for coaches which are evidently 2-3 months away according to the May / June online?
I also have a selection of PO wagons with no loco appropriate so far. I bought them hoping a 0-6-0 would appear but it’s going to be another 6 months yet it seems. 
They’d have been better launching the range with the sets they did and then either more sets or support for those already released. Instead we are going to see more disjointed releases soon it seems with the 50 but no stock.

I’ll get a J50 to go with the wagons but it seems I’ll be waiting another 12-24 months for LNER coaches?

So for now this set share one set of Pullmans, and only because I’m not picky enough to worry they’re SR ones 😉

IMG_1453.jpeg.7d19efa4565579dbe610094882a48358.jpeg

I'd completely forgotten about the TT:120 announcement today.

The 0-6-0 was a bit unexpected, though it sort of fits in with the Eastern Pacifics, and the green 08 should have been issued months ago. I'm sorry to say that otherwise Hornby seem to have run out of steam where TT is concerned...

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

To be fair Phil as most modellers just don’t get the randomness you do begin to wonder if there’s much knowledge as the range is so disjointed.

Can't argue that it's not that joined up - I'd have launched with a Pannier, B set and some wagons - but with the gestation period of most models being greater than two years, the origins of this date back a lot further than 9am today. So to say the current company has no-one who knows anything about trains is unfair. That's the only point I'm making.

I've met the designers, and they know their stuff. Now, how much say they have over releases I don't know, but I suspect it's more than 18 months ago.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

the origins of this date back a lot further than 9am today. So to say the current company has no-one who knows anything about trains is unfair. That's the only point I'm making.

Fair enough let’s hope those who do know there stuff are now getting a voice. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Surprised there isn't any Gurt Western stuff yet.  I'd have thought a pannier and B set would have kept them Western fans fed for a while?

It has been said many, many times that they can't do everything at once. Also everyone has their own ideas of what Hornby should have started with or what they should be making now.

There is a Castle and a 57xx in the catalogue (the 57xx was subsequently brought forward into Phase 4) but there have been a lot of production delays to the original schedule and these are still years away by the looks of things. But then Hornby aren't the only ones hit by production delays.

Edited by Porfuera
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

It has been said many, many times that they can't do everything at once. Also everyone has their own ideas of what Hornby should have started with or what they should be making now

But to an extent the established market evidence would say the pannier was always going to be a strong seller and works with a single auto coach, conventional coaches and freight. 
That’s why it’s a little odd, they could just keep running that in various GWR liveries for years. It’s certainly got more appeal than the J50, and  that’s from someone who wants the J50 😆

All the sets so far have been big mainline trains, where’s the equivalent of the various OO 08 and GW 0.4.0 start sets? And I do hope they have a Christmas set in the pipeline this year as that’s a huge seller to the market they claim this scale is for. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

But to an extent the established market evidence would say the pannier was always going to be a strong seller and works with a single auto coach, conventional coaches and freight. 
That’s why it’s a little odd, they could just keep running that in various GWR liveries for years. It’s certainly got more appeal than the J50, and  that’s from someone who wants the J50 😆

All the sets so far have been big mainline trains, where’s the equivalent of the various OO 08 and GW 0.4.0 start sets? And I do hope they have a Christmas set in the pipeline this year as that’s a huge seller to the market they claim this scale is for. 

No 57XX was ever auto fitted so an autotrailer would be utterly pointless.

Yes, I know some were used conventionally but my point still stands. All you will get is people using them wrong....

Jason

1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

I point you back to my previous statement that everyone has their own ideas on what they should have started with or what they should be making now 😄

What they have produced so far has sold out repeatedly - would anything different have sold better? No-one here has access to their sales figures but presumably they based their opening sets on what sell best in 00?

• Agree 1

As someone who has been sitting on the fence about the TT Range, these measures are a step in the right direction, but I've felt Hornby fumbled the range this out the gate. If they want to lean into the LNER/Eastern Region that's fine (no worse than Tri-ang's backbone being the LMS!) but the J50 should have been a launch item. A passenger train set with a 3rd radius oval and a J50 on a goods set, say two or three wagons and a brakevan, and a second radius oval would have been an excellent way to get started with a brand new scale.

Edited by ToledoRails
  • Agree 7