NG7 Announcement (Quarry Hunslet, Slate Waggons & Scenecraft buildings)

Paul.Uni

41 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Do we know if it’s just Una in the packs for now, I assume it is, or will there be other loco options? 

I saw the video at like almost 5 in the morning (I live on the USA east coast so that's what time it was for me when I woke up and saw the video), and they specified it would be Una, probably for her being preserved at the National Slate Museum, which makes sense if you ask me.

• Thanks 1

Hmm, a bit underwhelming - some of the detail on Alice looks very crude indeed,and Una should not have vac pipes or lamp irons. Feels like a very rushed job - quick scale up of the 009 ones, not really bother to get the variations correct or fix what was wrong with the 4mm models. Smacks of 00 RTR wagons where near enough is good enough. I still hope that there are going to be some improvements from these samples before actual production items hit the shelves, but I'm not holding my breath. Early Penrhyn livery looks great on Margaret though!

• Like 1

Not as expensive as i thought they would be. Trying to imagine how big the loco will be, maybe comparable to a 00 peckett?

I'll deffo get one and give it a run on my 00 layout. It looks to have a regular 00 nem coupler pocket so may be able to  use a 00 tension lock.

Tempted to order a grainge and hodder 1200 x 900 baseboard which should be big enough for a small 1st radius circuit

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

Feels like a very rushed job - quick scale up of the 009 ones, not really bother to get the variations correct or fix what was wrong with the 4mm models. 

Comments elsewhere suggest that these models were developed at the same time as the OO9 range and would have been announced a couple of years ago if it hadn't been for the introduction of the Lionheart L&B stock.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Comments elsewhere suggest that these models were developed at the same time as the OO9 range and would have been announced a couple of years ago if it hadn't been for the introduction of the Lionheart L&B stock.

I think it was Paul M commented that? Seems odd they held back especially when similar hold vs continue decisions led to their Fairlie overtaking the Kato one to market. Whatever the reasons I’m glad it eventually saw the light of day as this has similar potential to the On30 Porter in bring a springboard for other bashed & modified models. 
Now if Dan at Fourdees gets his hands on one and does the same in 7mm as he’s done in 4mm we are in for a treat!

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

As per my earlier post, Bachmann are handing us a very good start, if not all that we need to build a nice little narrow gauge Cameo layout. I'm very much looking forward to these landing. 

A good opportunity to try something new. 

Rob. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Trying to imagine how big the loco will be, maybe comparable to a 00 peckett?

According to the Bachmann website Alice is 84mm long.

• RMweb Gold

As the couplings supplied are a bit ‘mainline’ for quarry use I’m thinking of a couple of possible solutions. One ignoring the wagons N gauge pocket and screwing on an Accurascale OO Nem coupler

IMG_6969.jpeg.5a5693129016bfb1f83cd1e6ec20f3cc.jpeg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

As the couplings supplied are a bit ‘mainline’ for quarry use I’m thinking of a couple of possible solutions. One ignoring the wagons N gauge pocket and screwing on an Accurascale OO Nem coupler

IMG_6969.jpeg.5a5693129016bfb1f83cd1e6ec20f3cc.jpeg

Funnily enough, I thought of something like this for my narrow gauge stock a couple of years ago and have a small range of both magnetic half chain and chopper couplings!

o-narrow-gauge-maglink-couplings-2019-1-p.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BingleyWorks said:

Funnily enough, I thought of something like this for my narrow gauge stock a couple of years ago and have a small range of both magnetic half chain and chopper couplings!

o-narrow-gauge-maglink-couplings-2019-1-p.jpg

Useful option if you could do the lower one with the N gauge NEM pocket to match the slate wagons too? 
The ideas in the hook idea I have would be being able to put a tiny bit of iron wire in the top so a magnetic wand could be used to lift them up. 

Edited by PaulRhB

10 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Useful option if you could do the lower one with the N gauge NEM pocket to match the slate wagons too? 
The ideas in the hook idea I have would be being able to put a tiny bit of iron wire in the top so a magnetic wand could be used to lift them up. 

I plan on getting the countess starter set to see what I can do! I also look forward to seeing if the chopper I designed to go with the L&B stock would also go with these new Bachmann ones!

o-narrow-gauge-magnem-chopper-couplings-(3)-2056-1-p.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators

Blurry phone snaps before I do a proper job in the week. Very appealing.

IMG_20240504_110959.jpg

IMG_20240504_111044.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Are some of those fittings turned brass? If not, they are very effective. 

I'll check properly in the week but the whistles looked like it but felt plastic. Effective as you say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like how the starter packs are named for slate sizes.  I'd've been tempted to get one if they had Alice or Margaret in rather than Una.  The cab spoils the lines of a a quarry Hunslet to my eye.  Almost verging on the Emmet style layouts, which twist my vision the same (bad) way Jazz twists my soul.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Blurry phone snaps before I do a proper job in the week. Very appealing.

IMG_20240504_110959.jpg

IMG_20240504_111044.jpg

Your photos make me quite pleased with my choice of a Margaret on pre-order. Have so far resisted getting waggons but suspect it’s only a matter of time….

• Like 1

On 18/04/2024 at 13:27, Compound2632 said:

Like I said, 1:36 scale would be spot on. There's precedent, with the one-time vogue for 3 ft gauge models at 5.5 mm/ft, but the problem with introducing a new scale is always lack of compatible scenic items - though 1:35 is an established military modelling / wargaming scale. 

1:35 on 16.5mm already seems to be quite popular, including some of the Smallbrook range. And it’s pretty much spot on for the Dinorwic and Penrhyn gauge of 1’ 10 3/4”.

Interesting to see the same prototypes as in 009 (including the previous L&B locos by other manufacturers, so not entirely a case of Bachmann just reusing their CAD etc.). I wonder if we’ll see a WDLR Baldwin? Going back to the gauge discussion the Snailbeach and Glyn Valley examples could use 16.5mm gauge extremely accurately.

• Like 3

On 02/05/2024 at 09:01, NHY 581 said:

As per my earlier post, Bachmann are handing us a very good start, if not all that we need to build a nice little narrow gauge Cameo layout. I'm very much looking forward to these landing. 

A good opportunity to try something new. 

Rob. 

Absolutely Rob. I've already started planning a small exhibition layout based on one of the gallery sheds at Dinorwic

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

I wonder how many will complain that the Countess set doesn't look at all like the Welshpool and Llanfair.

Yes. Though that would require people to know that that is the name of one of their locos. But that’s arguably a less obscure point of reference than slate sizes.

• Like 1