Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 13 hump shunters at Tinsley

Hi all,

I read somewhere recently but didn't take a lot of notice, that there was a conventional 08 at Tinsley that had the necessary modifications and equipment to deputise for a master unit of a class 13.

Does anybody here know if that was correct, and do we know what the identity of the 08 in question was, please?

Thanks

Paul

I think a couple of 08s had the radio equipment as fitted to the 13s so they could talk to the tower. There was an article somewhere that had the call signs , the tower was 'tinrail control' I'm sure.

In the Strathwood book "Shunters 2", there is a picture on page 54 of D3707. The caption states "it was specially modified with radio and multiple working capability to act as a replacement within one half of a class 13"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, csvt2004 said:

In the Strathwood book "Shunters 2", there is a picture on page 54 of D3707. The caption states "it was specially modified with radio and multiple working capability to act as a replacement within one half of a class 13"

Jeepers, this is embarrassing, as I've got that book somewhere!

Perhaps this will motivate me to tidy our spare room to find it!

Thanks

Paul

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, csvt2004 said:

... "it was specially modified with radio and multiple working capability to act as a replacement within one half of a class 13"

Rather implies that it could substitute for either the Master OR the Slave .......... sounds unlikely !!?!

• Like 1

@Enterprisingwestern what is a portable set in term of this discussion.

BR database shows the radio equipment was removed  from this loco in the early seventies, I wonder what the thinking was behind that.

Did these locos also have a more precise Speedo so the correct speed could be maintained easier?

• RMweb Gold

I'd heard of this but didn't know its identity.  I know the slave unit has an air controlled throttle but not sure if the master unit had one. If it did would make driving that 08 quite different to a normal one

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, dave75 said:

@Enterprisingwestern what is a portable set in term of this discussion.

BR database shows the radio equipment was removed  from this loco in the early seventies, I wonder what the thinking was behind that.

Did these locos also have a more precise Speedo so the correct speed could be maintained easier?

As to it's exact set up, I don't know, but I reckon it was used on occasions like one night when the incoming Brush 4 humped it's own train direct from the reception sidings, although it didn't go over the hump when finished.

Mike.

59 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As to it's exact set up, I don't know, but I reckon it was used on occasions like one night when the incoming Brush 4 humped it's own train direct from the reception sidings, although it didn't go over the hump when finished.

Mike.

In the one of the tinsley  book , the author mentioned slow speed fitted 47s standing in if a 13 wasn't available. 

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

I don't know how much vertical play there is the bogie pivots - would it even be allowed over the hump? 

It is my understanding that the 08s converted to 13s were increased in weight  - would that also apply to this radio-fitted standby 08?

I assume the radio was necessary only if it was covering for a master unit, I don't see a use for one on the slave.

You might not need it to be coupled to a slave - an 08 should still be able to do the job on it own but with shorter trains.

Don't know much about the Tinsley class 13s except to repeat what was mentioned earlier - three locos for two jobs. There would inevitably be a few occasions where there were shortfalls, but it would depends how resourceful the Ops staff were to deal with the problem.  Perhaps a single conventional 08 could cover some of the work, particularly empty wagons etc. An SSC fitted diesel could be used but not over "Humpex" humps, which might affect it's usefulness.

At Bescot our Target 1 was the down hump shunting loco and it was radio fitted - that was a two way radio to the panel operator in the down tower.  The radio was able to be swapped for when the loco needed a major exam but mostly stayed on it's role. At Bescot our down hump was originally "humpex" so we didn't put big engines over it, and used the engine release line to transfer traffic to the north end of the yard.    

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I've read somewhere (General or Sectional Appendix) that even where locos could go over the hump, cl.40/44/45/46 were still excluded (due to their long bogies).

As mentioned earlier, each hump yard probably had its own particular Instructions in addition to general procedures.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Class 13's were specially weighted and from what I read, they were one of the heaviest diesel loco (or loco's) on BR at 120 tons.

@Bri.dolan Ahh from the days when much of Tinsley was surrounded by fields with horses on them.

I can remember the field directly above the shed we'd sneak onto to see what was in that couldn't be seen from the other side.  There were always horses there that would worry me.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TravisM said:

The Class 13's were specially weighted and from what I read, they were one of the heaviest diesel loco (or loco's) on BR at 120 tons.

You mean not counting the 400 or so Peaks/Class 40s at or over 133 Tons each?

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

You mean not counting the 400 or so Peaks/Class 40s at or over 133 Tons each?

That’s why I said ‘one of the heaviest’, not the heaviest 

38 minutes ago, TravisM said:

That’s why I said ‘one of the heaviest’, not the heaviest 

By using that logic you could also call it one of the lightest. Class 56, 58 and 60 are also heavier. I don't think the class 13 even makes the top 5, so including it as 'one of the heaviest' is misleading.

Edited by Titan

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Titan said:

By using that logic you could also call it one of the lightest. Class 56, 58 and 60 are also heavier. I don't think the class 13 even makes the top 5, so including it as 'one of the heaviest' is misleading.

I think your just nit picking as the Class 56, 58 & 60's were built AFTER the Class 13's were converted.  I think you need to read the post in the context it was written!