Leaning on/touching Exhibition Layouts.

In the past I have exhibited a couple of layouts & I don't like it when people seem to think it's OK to lean on the baseboard edge. Yes, you can have barriers &/or perspex  but I like people to be able to see closely.

What puzzles me though is that one of the clips on RMW shows someone talking about a layout whilst leaning on it, half an arms worth !

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I like to video layouts, so really don't like perspex frontages. Whats worse, exhibitors hanging hands and arms over the backscene! (which means they are leaning on it 😄).

I would never knowingly lean on a layout.

• Informative/Useful 1

I'll quite gladly lean on my layout while operating, especially if a steady hand is required, but that is cheeky to lean across from the public side!

Sounds like there's a few layouts that could use (blatant plug time!) some stickers, penalty fines to the new loco fund.

image.png.5be4c8c95318a909023ffd45020bb273.png

2 quid a go, https://steadfastmodels.wordpress.com/vinyl-stickers/

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 11

I did have someone absent-mindedly lean on my layout once at a show, while he was deep in conversation with his friend & not really watching the layout. 

I immediately said - politely and with a smile - that he might not want to do that.... he apologised profusely and removed his arm.

I was actually more concerned that the way he was leaning was putting sideways weight on the last board, which it wasn't designed to support, being 'cantilevered' off it's neighbouring board, lined up with split-pin hinges, and one set of wood legs at the end. The other end of the layout was secure on two of those metal trestles that are quite popular as layout supports, he could've leaned there no problem!!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

32 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

I'll quite gladly lean on my layout while operating, especially if a steady hand is required, but that is cheeky to lean across from the public side!

Sounds like there's a few layouts that could use (blatant plug time!) some stickers, penalty fines to the new loco fund.

image.png.5be4c8c95318a909023ffd45020bb273.png

https://steadfastmodels.wordpress.com/vinyl-stickers/

Jo

1100127654_PREVIEW.jpg

• Like 8

My layout has hardboard projecting above the baseboard surface  to stop stock falling  off so leaning on it is painful.

Leaning on an exhibition layout is sheer bad manners, why it might damage the static grass or fencing which should like the railway boundary!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

When I went to exhibitions, as a kid, a few layouts had signs "WARNING DO NOT TOUCH 12,000 MILLI VOLTS" on them. I think they may have been produced by Triang.

Edited by Siberian Snooper
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

1100127654_PREVIEW.jpg

I had a small sign - "WARNING - Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again".

Well it was an American outline layout. But I don't think I'd use such a sign now.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

I had a small sign - "WARNING - Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again".

Well it was an American outline layout. But I don't think I'd use such a sign now.

Back in the early 1980s there was a long closed free mine in the Forest of Dean that displayed a sign reading: 'Trespassers will be prosecuted. Next of kin will be informed!' Must say, it sent a chill up my spine!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Punters leaning on my layout (or touching any part of it without a specific and supervised invitation to do so), is an absolute no-no. This is one reason why I am always more comfortable with barriers in front of the layout.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

More seriously I've seen these deployed (door bump springs)

image.png.81c910523ad5d7caed26cbc6fff86ab2.png

With a dowel plugged in where the plastic cap is about a foot long,  spaced 2 ft apart, then the dowel ends roped together..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Since my layouts have radars on them...

image.png.5caf51cdafcfe2d74842a7f3fedda690.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I don't often take layouts to exhibitions (building rather than playing with trains is my thing) but when I do I do so in the knowledge that damage might take place. It might be as a result of transport, self inflicted clumsiness or unwanted audience participation. I try to be careful and I appreciate that others generally are too but damage sometimes does happen. I take the line that I go into the whole exhibiting thing knowing the risks and accepting them; after all I built the thing so I know I can repair it. I once had an an obviously autistic boy lean over a whack the controller up to full; his parents were mortified, far more bothered than I was. Nothing was broken, it was just a burst of enthusiasm in an unexpected direction. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Leaning and touching is one of the reasons I would find exhibiting prohibitively stressful, and don't do it.  It's my railway, for me, so leave it alone and get your own...  I am perhaps a little too sensitive, but notices on exhibition layouts requesting 'don't touch' or the rather precious 'these models take hours of work to build and are extremely delicate &c', inevitably on a layout featuring RTR and RTP out-of-the-box stuff, also ramp up the tension and the stress level.  Exhibitions are by and large not Johnster-friendly, usually too crowded and pushy, so I go to the smaller ones and aim for Sunday lunch time when it's quiet and scarper over the pub at about half two when the post-lunch crowd starts rolling in for my own scran. 

Order of business; do the shopping, around the trade and 2h stands, request items to be put aside for pickup later,  then the layouts, then a cup of tea, then a return to the best layouts, then pick up your purchases and hoof it over the pub.  I find even this a bit stressful.

There's no easy answer to the leaning/touching issue; as an exhibitor (and I did plenty back in the day) you want the punters to engage with the models but not interfere with them.  Interference can come in different forms; I remember a Bridgend Model show, not just railways, back in the 80s when the layout was repeatedly hit in the legs, hard and at speed, by 1/24th and 1/16th radio (un)controlled cars, resulting in shockwaves derailing trains.  One of the cars got 'accidentally' trodden on and totalled, which was what we should have done in the first place as it effectively prevented further incidents.  They hit several of the punters as well, knocking a little girl over, which they seemed to find most amusing.  Shoulda been outside, of course, where there was an R/C tank battle and construction site going on.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I am perhaps a little too sensitive

Not at all, it is surely just good manners not to lean on or otherwise get too close to someone's personal property, even if it is at a public exhibition. I have hardly exhibited at all in the last ten years, but my tolerance of this kind of thing is going to be significantly less that it used to be, and I was pretty intolerant back then.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1