Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Latest Flying Scotsman tat

steve1

1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

A contradiction in terms - no such things!

I know what you mean, though - if they pay, we'll advertise it!

CJI.

Its the usual magazine response, "We have no control over the advertising department"...

5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

None. Have you seen the magazines that come with the quality newspapers?

Jason

The watch was advertised in the Daily Mail magazine, so I would dispute your description of “quality newspapers” in this instance.

steve

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Had any RMWebber ever met anyone who had actually laid out real money on any of this junk fine selection of treasurable products?

That week by week builds into a pile of shhhhhhhteam memorabilia🙄

There’s a special place in hell reserved for those who make banana-shaped models of locos to suit the impossibly sharp curves on the railway at the base of a flying scotsman clock. 
Presumably these are all endorsed by the NRM (national restaurant museum)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mol_PMB said:

There’s a special place in hell reserved for those who make banana-shaped models of locos to suit the impossibly sharp curves on the railway at the base of a flying scotsman clock. 

The R1 circle of hell 😉

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Had any RMWebber ever met anyone who had actually laid out real money on any of this junk fine selection of treasurable products?

steve

ME! I bought this Mallard:

Mallard.jpg.f39ea7030f38597a912bfe3341a45d23.jpg

But, it was only a dollar at a US train show. And, I have wanted a model of MALLARD; this will have to do.

EDIT: Note that it does have a tender!!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information
  • Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its the usual magazine response, "We have no control over the advertising department"...

Something that, it would seem, even RMweb suffers from!

Money talks, and doesn't listen to anyone else!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Something that, it would seem, even RMweb suffers from!

Money talks, and doesn't listen to anyone else!

CJI.

OK, so how should websites pay the bills?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ramrig said:

Latest Steam Railway magazine arrived this morning with this offering for £99.96 + P & P. 
Again only 4 ,999 available so best get in there quickly for more exclusive Tat!!!

IMG_0645.jpeg.c293d6de4032d15917992ae07271d650.jpeg

I wonder how much extra the tender will be 😂

Same company (The Bradford Exchange) and telephone number as the watch.

Wonder what else they'll be offering?

• RMweb Premium

A true replica of an LNER pocketwatch from 1934 would be cool.

Or even commissioning a watch with the same typeface and bevel style.

All of this would be far less tacky and more interesting. If you add a chronograph function (maybe someone in the dynometer had one?) we could all measure the scale speeds of our 4472s as they whip around a 2nd radius curve.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

A true replica of an LNER pocketwatch from 1934 would be cool.

Or even commissioning a watch with the same typeface and bevel style.

All of this would be far less tacky and more interesting. If you add a chronograph function (maybe someone in the dynometer had one?) we could all measure the scale speeds of our 4472s as they whip around a 2nd radius curve.

I think the NRM (and others) already sell them.

Or just buy a genuine one?

Just think how many people had one. ISTR reading that the LMS alone had something like 250,000 workers, I would assume the others had similar numbers and many would have needed watches!

Jason

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Same company (The Bradford Exchange) and telephone number as the watch.

Wonder what else they'll be offering?

Some questions should remain unanswered.

Screenshot2024-04-22at23_14_17.png.adc5c15d8fa62a38d9f7e7afcfbbcffb.png

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think the NRM (and others) already sell them.

Or just buy a genuine one?

Just think how many people had one. ISTR reading that the LMS alone had something like 250,000 workers, I would assume the others had similar numbers and many would have needed watches!

Jason

NRM don't sell them, but apparently also sell some horrific 4472 tat. Ladies and Gentlemen, for your delectation please find:

- Snowglobe https://shop.sciencemuseum.org.uk/products/yrk-fs-snow-globe

- Watch https://shop.sciencemuseum.org.uk/products/flying-scotsman-nameplate-watch

- Rubber duck (to be fair, my kids would have wanted this as a bath toy when they were little) https://shop.sciencemuseum.org.uk/products/flying-scotsman-duck

And best of all (worst of all?), some retro dublo-inspired shorties with only slightly compressed dimensions, salt and pepper shakers: https://shop.sciencemuseum.org.uk/products/nrm-flying-scotsman-salt-and-pepper-shakers

On the watch/pocketwatch thing - there's something to be said for a modern mechanism, even something smaller/thinner, but "inspired by".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 30801 said:

Some questions should remain unanswered.

Screenshot2024-04-22at23_14_17.png.adc5c15d8fa62a38d9f7e7afcfbbcffb.png

Oh good grief!

The coin on the front takes it to a whole new level.

At least it's HO gauge and not OO like us serious modellers. 😀

"Only available from The Bradford Exchange - you won't find this edition anywhere else". You mean it's not stocked by Rails, TMC, Widnes? How disappointing.

Maybe there'll be a layout at Model World Live next weekend where I can see it before committing myself (to the asylum).

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

When I first saw that, I thought it was in B's On2½ product line and seriously looked at it for about a second or so. But then common sense kicked in.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I imagine they come with a fascinating booklet, about Sir Norbert Grisley, The famous race to KingNarber Junction and other poorly researched facts about the oldy Victoriana steam world.

• Funny 2

Looking at Bradford Exchange on Trustpilot, it’s amusing to note that 56% of the reviews are 1 star. Their five star ones are only 36%.

Makes you wonder how they keep going.

steve

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Looking at Bradford Exchange on Trustpilot, it’s amusing to note that 56% of the reviews are 1 star. Their five star ones are only 36%.

Makes you wonder how they keep going.

steve

quote-p-t-barnum-said-a-sucker-is-born-every-minute-but-his-estimate-was-laughably-low-jonathan-gruber-141-54-83.jpg.e26dbc0422dac5c9c31163421be7e287.jpg

Mike.

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, steve1 said:

steve

Yes, a few years ago I was briefly involved with the house clearance of a distant relative and she had one of those flying Scotsman clocks, the one where bits revolve etc. Sadly these things are marketed to the vulnerable who want to be collectors of fine objects but don’t really know how to go about it. 

• RMweb Premium

What I rather fear is some kindly and well-meaning relative thinking "He likes trains, he'd like one of these" and presenting me with one.  One such relative did once hint along these lines and had to be rapidly (and as politely as possible) disabused of any such option.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

13 minutes ago, Torper said:

What I rather fear is some kindly and well-meaning relative thinking "He likes trains, he'd like one of these" and presenting me with one.  One such relative did once hint along these lines and had to be rapidly (and as politely as possible) disabused of any such option.

You’ve met my mother in law then ? 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

2 minutes ago, Torper said:

What I rather fear is some kindly and well-meaning relative thinking "He likes trains, he'd like one of these" and presenting me with one.  

I have made it clear to all family members and friends that when it comes to birthdays etc. they must resist the temptation to buy me something railway related and just get me some book or garden tokens.

I occasionally drop subtle hints about certain railwayana artefacts that I think would improve the ambiance of our lounge but the wife thinks I have lost the plot. Consequently, I acquire these items surreptitiously and am obliged to keep them effectively hidden in the garage. At least I know I have them and, as I constantly remind the wife when she complains about my collection of ‘scrap iron’, they will still be valuable after I die.

Of course, there will be the usual question ‘what do you want for your birthday/christmas’ to which I reply “I’ve had it on pre-order for two years’.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3