Semaphores

There are a few locations with classic Semaphore signals on the national network, following a a recent trip out on the network here are some that I have seen.

I remember prior to the electrification of Shipley there were plenty of signals and nice manual boxes some of these are now in store at KWVR.

There still is the gantry at Scarborough but it's days are numbered.

The Harrogate line is used as training for many of the train and signallers as there are a fw different manual boxes and systems in use with the traditional signals.

Many will be aware of the classic shots available on the Settle & Carlisle line and then there are a few parts of the Newcastle & Carlisle line.

There is more than you think.

the area around Shrewsbury, the line across Cannock chase, parts of the line from foley Box (Longton) to Eggington on the NSR Stoke to Derby route, much of the Hope Valley line, the area around Buxton/Peak forest, parts of the North Wales coast.

These are all within an hours drive of Stoke-on-Trent.

Guest baldrick25

Pen-y-ffordd , just south of Shotton, has a few semaphores including a bracket junction, and a flat roof signalbox still. Images available if needed.

• RMweb Gold

Significant numbers of semaphores still between Liskeard and St Erth and between Par and Goonbarrow Junction. Also between Ascott-under-Wychwood and Ledbury (via Worcester Shrub Hill), also Worcester Tunnel Jct and Droitwich Spa. Also the North & West route between Newport and Salop etc. has plenty of semaphores. I believe there are also some in West Wales beyond Llanelli...

The semaphore signals were still in use near Stratford Upon Avon in late April this year, and Network Rail were working on the installation of light signals at Bearley Junction. There are a couple of my shots in the RM web gallery section.

• RMweb Gold

I believe there are also some in West Wales beyond Llanelli...

Not so many Cap'n, just a few 'islets' in the sea of colour lights and noticeboards vice signals.

The best places for Western pattern LQ signals are probably Par and Lostwithiel in the deep west, Worcester Shrub Hill in the West Midlands with Droitwich also possibly still offering a bit of interest (not sure how much) and Salop (Shrewsbury to non-Western folk) although the really good stuff can really be seen from areas with public access.

Alas sights such as this (Reading East Main) are no longer to be found in Western format

post-6859-128067390136.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I should add that the semaphores at Ascott-under-Wychwood and Evesham will be removed next year as part of the Cotswold re-doubling project (new colour lights going in, together with brand new main aspect colour lights at Honeybourne), whilst they will remain at Moreton-in-Marsh, which will even get a brand new semaphore signal (Down Platform to Up Main Starter).

• RMweb Gold

I should add that the semaphores at Ascott-under-Wychwood and Evesham will be removed next year as part of the Cotswold re-doubling project (new colour lights going in, together with brand new main aspect colour lights at Honeybourne), whilst they will remain at Moreton-in-Marsh, which will even get a brand new semaphore signal (Down Platform to Up Main Starter).

So get thee to Evesham sharpish for a pic of the Up Starter (centre pivot arm) before it is swept away.

Not so many Cap'n, just a few 'islets' in the sea of colour lights and noticeboards vice signals.

The best places for Western pattern LQ signals are probably Par and Lostwithiel in the deep west, Worcester Shrub Hill in the West Midlands with Droitwich also possibly still offering a bit of interest (not sure how much) and Salop (Shrewsbury to non-Western folk) although the really good stuff can really be seen from areas with public access.

Alas sights such as this (Reading East Main) are no longer to be found in Western format

Hi Mike,

There are still plenty at Droitwich Spa, including a dodgy 'right hander' applying to the up road between the junction and station. There's still a semaphore distant as you approach from the Stourbridge line but the distants from Worcester and Stoke Works Junction are colour lights. I was working 6G43 Croft-Brierley Hill a couple of weeks back and got stopped at Droitwich due to a track defect, and had time to grab a couple of shots...

000_0753.jpg

000_0751.jpg

Nidge wink.gif

the ones at Scarborough their days are numbered, the count down has begun, Scarborough is closed from 6th Oct to 1st Nov, for removal of the semaphores n track remodelling in the station area.

the gantry is going to the Nymr to be used at the north end of grosmont station an im not sure if the others are going as well

There still a few 'oop this way. Aviemore is crawling in them, as most of the line. I think Inverness was updated with modern signalling. The Far North and Kyle lines will have them standing though probably a handful are in use.

I did thr Selby-Hull line last week and was pleasantly surprised to see that a lot of that is still semaphore. Indeed there is a RMWeb member who works at Hull Paaragon 'box...

steve

Lincs is still a bit of a haven for them, as well as the ones around Barnetby, the GN/ GE joint line still has a good complement and the Skegness branch is still mostly semaphore. Sadly the Lincoln re-modelling removed most from that area and although the rural locations are still plentiful, they won't be there forever.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

There are still plenty at Droitwich Spa, including a dodgy 'right hander' applying to the up road between the junction and station. There's still a semaphore distant as you approach from the Stourbridge line but the distants from Worcester and Stoke Works Junction are colour lights. I was working 6G43 Croft-Brierley Hill a couple of weeks back and got stopped at Droitwich due to a track defect, and had time to grab a couple of shots...

Nidge wink.gif

Excellent to see that the important one still survives Nidge - it's about 17/18 years since I took a pic of it and I also have a pic of its predecessor which came out of an auction lot of postcards (but many turned out to be photos) although it was a bit 'murky' to say the least. The previous one on the platform end at one time had 3 arms as it also repeated the junction signal that leaps into view as you go under the bridge.

Droitwich's Distant on the Stourbridge line is now one of the very few surviving examples of an 'isolated' (i.e. not lower arm) worked (G)WR pattern distant signal - it might even be unique on the national network by now? It's a right b*gger to get at to photograph from the lineside and I wouldn't mind betting it's now even more difficult due to lack of vegetation trimming but fortunately I got to it 17/18 years ago and got some decent pics of it.

• RMweb Premium

On my patch, the South Central division of the Southern region I can offer:

Amberley - Complete with small signal box on the platform

Pulborough - Impressively presented signal box here, I have even pulled the levers in this one when on my training course. :D

Billingshurst - Signal Box here too, colour light on the down platform though and with iminent extension of the up platform now underway, the up semaphore will need to be relocated which will see it replaced with a single aspect searchlight type I expect.

Bognor Regis - These are staying, they are listed structures and the council won't let NR take them away, however the old gantry fixed distant semaphore near the old LEC factory which also used to control access to the old Gasworks Siding went a few months ago.

Littlehampton - Not sure of the status of these, may also be listed. There is an original 1930's electrification era two aspect electric distant signal of SR origin adjacent to the carriage shed though.

Off of my patch (I don't do Eastbourne :( ) there is Berwick.

• RMweb Gold

Local(ish) to me (Wirral / North Wales / Merseyside / Cheshire)

Canning Street North / Helsby, Frodsham Junction / Crosfields Crossing, Littons Mill, Monks Siding, Fiddlers Ferry / Huyton (some), Prescot / Holywell Junction, Prestatyn, Rhyl, Ty Croes, Holyhead / Beeston Castle (some) / Gobowen

Archived