Bachmann DRS Class 20

puffmeister_general

• RMweb Premium

Picking up a thread from some time back......

Just about to get around to fitting a sound chip to my Model Rail SP Class 20

I have a pair so intend to renumber to 20901 & 20904

A couple of questions

Is it a 8 pin or a 21 pin DCC Socket?

Which sound chip do you recommend?

Does any one do a DCC Lighting Kit

Ta very much

ELTEL

If you want to run them as a pair and have them both making noises I would get a Howes and a SWD. That way both will sound slightly different just like the real things would.

The loco will have a 21pin socket inside ideal for sound chipping.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the info.

Speaking with Mick (Blackmill) at our exhibition over the weekend he suggested the Howes chip in one of the 20s and the speaker supplied and to take the motor out of the second loco and fit a larger speaker this way only one sound decoder.

Any general thoughts about the Zimo sound decoders.

Terry

Picking up a thread from some time back......

Just about to get around to fitting a sound chip to my Model Rail SP Class 20

I have a pair so intend to renumber to 20901 & 20904

A couple of questions

Is it a 8 pin or a 21 pin DCC Socket?

Which sound chip do you recommend?

Does any one do a DCC Lighting Kit

Ta very much

ELTEL

Sound Decoder: Before deciding have a listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joGOORpnMY8 Loksound V4 sound by "legomanbiffo" very impressive ! avail via Charlie DC Kits

L/E DRS 20 904 lighting: Due to the revised cab moulding with HI headlights, custom circuit boards are required. See my article in Model Rail 164 (Jan 12) for more info/ideas etc.

HTH

Ken

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the info.

Speaking with Mick (Blackmill) at our exhibition over the weekend he suggested the Howes chip in one of the 20s and the speaker supplied and to take the motor out of the second loco and fit a larger speaker this way only one sound decoder.

Hi Terry, Picture as promised

post-408-0-87610100-1328730839.jpg

Apologies for video quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVREGQp_qtM

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

If you want to run them as a pair and have them both making noises I would get a Howes and a SWD. That way both will sound slightly different just like the real things would.

This may create a problem as they are likely to have different speed profiles and sound sequences.

Even sound projects from the same supplier can be different - I have Howes Mk1 and Mk2 versions of the 31 - they have different speed/sound profiles as supplied, but managed - after a lot of b*ggering about - to get them to run at similar speed profiles.

Cheers,

Mick

I am just in the process modifying a standard Bachman class 20 to 20 901 with working HI light etc. I have used a Replica light housing plus a top hat LED with resistor and diode for the HI light and I am still setting up the red and white markers using fibre optics - talk about fiddley! The top hat is also in a thin brass tube sleeve to stop the light bleed into the cab / lamp housing. I am only doing the cab end as it will be coupled to 20 903 nose to nose.

One other observation - on 20 901 the number is on the cabside and the DRS logo is on the hood so it is not quite the same as the MR 20 904 due to 20 901 having the larger cab side windows so the DRS logo will not fit!

Next in line is a model of 20 903 with HI lamp in its slightly higher location and the larger long range tanks which are quite different to those fitted to the DRS 20 3XX series.

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Sound Decoder: Before deciding have a listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joGOORpnMY8 Loksound V4 sound by "legomanbiffo" very impressive ! avail via Charlie DC Kits

L/E DRS 20 904 lighting: Due to the revised cab moulding with HI headlights, custom circuit boards are required. See my article in Model Rail 164 (Jan 12) for more info/ideas etc.

HTH

Ken

Perhaps not the project for my first venture into fitting sound and lighting

Eltel

Archived