Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

These Clans are fine models but the one I just unpacked another 72008 from an Ebay seller (Trainz) in the USA just sits on the track making a buzzing noise, several parts had fallen off, the front body-chassis retaining screw had fallen out (above the front bogie, accessible with bogie swivelled)    I have replaced the front retaining screw and one of the front hoses which had fallen out,  shipped in hard cardboard box with brown paper internal packing with as is common with sellers, the Hornby box hard up against two sides, I know the track and controller are good, other engines are fine.  Satan's plug is undamaged visually and snug and tight.

Is a buzzing noise symptomatic of anything? There is no visual damage to valve gear either. Just zero movement.  Other parts fallen out were cylinder drains both sides, front hose and AWS baffle. Vibration in transit I presume. 

Any ideas?   Maybe I'll put this in a more appropriate section. I'm just having my 'disappointed' reaction. I might have to return it to the USA from NZ  not cheap, it was US$140 to buy US$41 to get it here.   It would be a shame to send it back if there were simple checks I could do.  

Trainz say in their ad that they will refund if faulty or misrepresented, they described the model as in 'functional' condition. I wonder if they test-ran it? 

Ah well.

Answering myself, I tried a DCC Elite controller wondering if unbeknownst to the seller it was DCC-converted, but still the same, no movement and buzzing noise.

then I reconnected my Spectrum DC analogue controller with the idea of swapping a tender with a known runner, but just before I did that I recklessly turned the controller to '10' and the buzz ceased and the engine moved, slowly reluctantly, then it freed-up somewhat.

I have never known an engine to need this much current to start moving, but it did, so my return request is cancelled and seller has received good feedback.

It now starts on about 2.5-3 on the dial 0-10 and runs ok, not like silk, and there may be a very slight wobble, but it's certainly of merchantable quality. 

Live and learn, quite embarrassing really.

So I have another 72008 Clan with minor detail faults but ok really.  Sorry Trainz of GA USA

cheers

Finished!!!!

attachicon.gif72007 & D100.jpg

attachicon.gifDriver Waves to local lads.jpg

Thanks Roomey for another excellent weathering job!!!!icon_clap.gificon_clap.gif Also removed the small intermediate buffers to allow close coupling.

Nice job but after all the skilled work in weathering I would also consider fitting the characteristic draught screens to close the tender gap.

Its an easy fix and compliments a good weathering job.

I have two Clans and a Brit fitted with them and it makes a difference.

post-2371-0-39442500-1522593957_thumb.jpg

Dave.

• Like 6

Nice job but after all the skilled work in weathering I would also consider fitting the characteristic draught screens to close the tender gap.

IMG_1963.jpg

Dave.

Interesting photo! I appreciate that this a rivet counter's moment, but the axlebox cover on the trailing truck is of an oil lubricated one but those on the tender are grease lubricated. The latter didn't come into use until 1961. Many Britannias were scrapped in this condition but I can't say for the Clans; the only ones I ever saw were on the scrap line at Kingmore.

attachicon.gifIMG_1963.jpg

Dave.

It certainly does....what did you use for it?

It certainly does....what did you use for it?

Wet and dry paper folded and shaped then superglued on then splash of matt black paint and powders.

Takes about ten minutes and costs nothing.

I've seen black cartridge paper used also but I prefer a fine wet & dry as it keeps its shape well.

Scribed on one side with a blade and then folded concertina style..about 12 folds from memory.

Pinch one end between pliers and a touch of glue to form the screen then bend it to a curve at same end to follow tender frame.

Another spot of glue and stick on to tender then trim to length. 

Dave.

Edited by vitalspark

Interesting photo! I appreciate that this a rivet counter's moment, but the axlebox cover on the trailing truck is of an oil lubricated one but those on the tender are grease lubricated. The latter didn't come into use until 1961. Many Britannias were scrapped in this condition but I can't say for the Clans; the only ones I ever saw were on the scrap line at Kingmore.

Thats interesting as I thought the bearings should be Timken roller but I'll check with the RCTS book.

Dave.

Wow!  Hornby Clan 72000 R2846, poor photos, described as never out of box just went for £294 on Ebay.

Wow can’t believe it’s gone for £294.00 compared to 72005 “as new” only went for around £150.00. So which loco is more desirable.

Cheers

To put it in perspective,when first released,this model cost around £80.Its subsequent rarity has stoked price hysteria

I wouldn't call it hysteria.  New models of this quality cost £170-200 and the rarity adds something.

That said I think it was worth up to about £180 if you really wanted it.  Maybe 72000 is more rare than 72008 too. The buyer paid an extra hundred out of some kind of motivation possibly including that many of us spend £100 on our hobby for reasons which others might find 'unnecessary', it is next-to-impossible to find a new Clan these days. Most s/h ones have faults; missing whistle and/or cab windshields.   I wouldn't call the buyer a fool, have you seen what people spend on golf clubs, mountain bikes, classic cars, and other unnecessary things?  or indeed what many spend on model railways in total?  That buyer might have had a personal connection with the Glasgow Clans or 72000 in particular.

A fool and his money are soon parted......

An unkind quote. This bloke must have had a good reason to spend his money in this way. His choice, his money.

If this situation continues it may well be that Hornby take notice of the demand and re-introduce the Clan.

• RMweb Gold

That's how auctions work when two or more people want an item badly enough.

In any event, it's probably a rarer model than the Bachmann "Bluebell" C No.592, for which the going rate appears to be around £350 these days...........

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

Wow can’t believe it’s gone for £294.00 compared to 72005 “as new” only went for around £150.00. So which loco is more desirable.

Probably cheaper to buy the DJH kit, as it doesn't look like the Hornby one is going to reappear any time soon.

• RMweb Gold

An unkind quote. This bloke must have had a good reason to spend his money in this way. His choice, his money.

If this situation continues it may well be that Hornby take notice of the demand and re-introduce the Clan.

And I imagine Hornby have too much going on to respond to "market forces"...,if that's what people choose to describe eBay bargaining.

I think it's only a matter of time before the Clan is reintroduced, you only have to look at 2017/2018 releases of the 4MT, N15 and Rebuilt Scot.

I think someone on here recently mentioned that the Clan tooling had not been lost at Sanda-Kan, this was very much contrary to what Hornby customers services had told people.

This would be a very welcome re-introduction to their range.

Ian,

I take exception to that comment - for obvious reasons.

The loco in question has just arrived, and is indeed in factory-fresh condition with just a couple of minor creases on the box end. I am not a collector, but I do want a Clan to run. I could build a kit, but my 'To do' pile already exceeds my life expectancy and the Hornby model looks good to my eyes.

I have been watching, and occasionally bidding on Clans for a very long time, and came to the conclusion that if I was to get one I might as well bite the bullet and bid whatever was necessary on an unused one. If you really want something and can, at a pinch, afford the price, I see no reason to be branded a fool. Clearly, someone else was of the same opinion but was not prepared to spend quite as much as I was.

There are many people who think nothing of paying what I regard as silly money having a kit built, and even more silly money on having it painted, and even more on having it weathered; presumably they are all fools?

I pay the market price - ie. a tad more than someone else is prepared to pay - and then do my own detailing and painting.

Yes - this foolishly priced model will have all the green bits resprayed and relined / lettered as 72006 with my own transfers - which are finer than Hornby's rendition.

What value we place on acquiring our desired model is our own business - and we should not be subjected to ridicule for setting our personal priorities.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

May be so

But I suspect you might have to wait until it appears under the 'Oxford' banner

Ray

That's an intriguing prospect Ray. Wonder what makes you propose that ? Incidentally,we don't know exactly where the tooling is.