Revised Hornby T9

2ManySpams

Finally got the brake rods to stick in place on the loco without any chopping of the plug in bits referred to by toboldlygo. The trick seems to be to remove the body and once one side is stuck in place to place the chassis on its side with the glued side upwards and glue in turn each of the other brake rod locations in place with the brake shoe resting onto top of a suitable support ( ie a pencil sharpener) that pushes the brake gear and rods enough to stop it coming apart whilst the glue sets. As for the glue I resorted to the rather expensive Evo-Stick Serious Glue which seems to cope well with the plastic Sanda Kan use.

• RMweb Gold

The SR Black T9 with 6 wheel tender has just arrived from Hornby and at last they've got it right. The guard irons are at the rear as per the prototype.

Dave

Good news I thought - until I spotted images of a black T9 #314 advertised on ebay with such poor pics they have to be genuine! Note tender guard-irons are back at the cab end! E-bay item no is 270496401314. [Note the last 3 digits - this is not a legpull, really!] This suggests to me, given the apparently genuine Hattons photos, that China has indeed cracked the problem by removing that awkward lug - so now the tender frames fit either way!

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I have just received the new T9, 30119.

The green is quite different from the malachite of my Hornby Bulleid pacifics, was it supposed to be the same or was it an oiive shade ?

Doesn't really matter to me as it is a nice loco, the star on the front is an unusual touch.

Roger

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just purchased one of these gorgeous locos today. R2711 No.729 with the 6 wheel tender, which has had the frames duly changed around. Not going to bother with the cylinder cocks though. Havent run it yet so am not sure if the front bogie will lift the front drivers off & reduce traction so will have to see. I am loving this engine. Hoping to get the Southern Suburban 1938 Train & coach pack & also the NRM T9 (if it still available in NZ)

• 2 years later...
Guest Belgian

Thank you nnich and Belgian for the useful instructions.

As it happens I don't need to give it a go - I was waiting for a late crest version but decided against when I saw the weathering effect. Instead I decided to wait for an unweathered late crest example. I haven't yet bought a Hornby 75000 yet for the same reason (late crest BR1B tender)because I'm not convinced by Hornby's factory weathering of steam locos (it's fine for diesels).

Three and a half years on we're all still waiting . . .

JE

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Three and a half years on we're all still waiting . . .

JE

The wait is over.... I've just received Kernow's latest newsletter and they've received the two outstanding T9s:

R3107 30313 in black with late crest and 6 wheel tender,

RR3108 708 SOUTHERN sunshine black and 8 wheel tender.

No photos yet; let's hope the 6 wheel tender is correctly assembled this time.

Two nice pictures of the original 30313 on the DNSR in 'On Didcot, Newbury & Southampton Lines' by Kevin Robertson, both with WR coaching stock. Engine 'lightly weathered', and someone has dragged their hand down the side of the tender!

The wait is over.... I've just received Kernow's latest newsletter and they've received the two outstanding T9s:

R3107 30313 in black with late crest and 6 wheel tender,

RR3108 708 SOUTHERN sunshine black and 8 wheel tender.

No photos yet; let's hope the 6 wheel tender is correctly assembled this time.

Tender frames the right way round, improved packaging allows tender to remain coupled when packed away, smooth runner before running in...looking good so far.

• RMweb Premium

Tender frames are the right way round, judging by the pics Kernow have just put up on their Facebook page. However the pipework between the driving wheels, is the wrong way round again!  :banghead:  :banghead:

Bless them. Easily fixed though.

• RMweb Gold

Got mine today and proceeded to fit a decoder.  However the 8-pin socket in the tender appears to be installed upside down - ie with the solder pads and wires fixed thereto face up.  Is it supposed to be like this?  There's no indication of which pin is 1 so I guessed and got it wrong.  Reversed the decoder placement and it works fine, but I'm struggling to get the tender back on due to the harness (it's a Lenz Standard+) so I will probably have to reduce that by removing the accessory wires as these aren't required.

• 2 weeks later...

Received my latest R2108 T9 last week. SR 1942 Black with Sunshine "SOUTHERN".  Easily converted to DCC with drop in TCS DP2XUK decoder. Someday I will look into sound for the T9. 

Then I renumbered to 703  by just changed the last number to 3 from 8 using HMRS Pressfix. removet the digit 8 and apply the "3" which is a perfect match. 703 was shedded at Wadebridge until 1948 as befits my Padstow layout in the immediate post WW2 era. Still has to go back to programming track for number change.  Details can now be applied and weathering to a somewhat shabbier look undertaken.

Only one thing I need now is a Snifter Valve.  Anyone know of a source probably in white metal or brass or 3D print? These do not appear to have been removed until BR shopping in the 50's. Not in the Hornby bag of parts....

I have another T9 33x to repaint black and letter from said HMRS sheet to 301 which was an Exmouth junction in 1946-7 with wide splashers and 6 wheel tender . It was purchased when I was unsure of the era I was modelling in Maunsell Green. My original was 120 which got me started on Padstow 5 years ago and will stay on the display shelf in Maunsell olive green.. 

Only one thing I need now is a Snifter Valve.  Anyone know of a source probably in white metal or brass or 3D print? These do not appear to have been removed until BR shopping in the 50's. Not in the Hornby bag of parts....

I found the brass MarKits SR Snifter valves on Peter's Spares and have duly ordered.  Expensive little . 

I found the brass MarKits SR Snifter valves on Peter's Spares and have duly ordered.  Expensive little ######. 

It gets even more expensive. I found out I need two snifter valves per locomotive.  Analysis of post Maunsell/Urie rebuild, pre BR pictures in Book of T9's    and Semgonline indicates they were on both sides.  I have 2 N Class, and the pending Drummond 700 to do for stock that fit on North Cornwall/Padstow pre1948. At least I don't recall snifters on BWT's or O2's.

What's a poor old boy to do...

Failing eyesight! I had not looked close enough at my models.  Hornby actually did model the 708 and 313 I have with snifters. If you look closely at the picture above you will also seem them. The 313 needs to be re-painted black with Bullied Sunshine Southern lettering and renumbered as 301 which was shedded at Exmouth Junction in the immediate postwar period. 708 now in it's guise as 703 was shedded at Wadebridge 1945-47, The buffer beam number on 708 was just altered with a little red paint to 703.  My T9 120 is in preservation Maunsell green and has no snifters.

post-6958-0-22082700-1413679672_thumb.jpg

The Markits SR snifters I ordered will now be used on the Bachmann N Class engines. 

• RMweb Gold

Failing eyesight! I had not looked close enough at my models.  Hornby actually did model the 708 and 313 I have with snifters. If you look closely at the picture above you will also seem them. The 313 needs to be re-painted black with Bullied Sunshine Southern lettering and renumbered as 301 which was shedded at Exmouth Junction in the immediate postwar period. 708 now in it's guise as 703 was shedded at Wadebridge 1945-47, The buffer beam number on 708 was just altered with a little red paint to 703.  My T9 120 is in preservation Maunsell green and has no snifters.

attachicon.gif703 Closeup Showing Snifter.JPG

The Markits SR snifters I ordered will now be used on the Bachmann N Class engines. 

Nice photo, you just need to correct the pipework between the Driving wheels - as it is the wrong way round ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Good day everyone!  I have not posted here before but...

… having recently bought a second-hand T9+6-wheel tender was astonished to see the errors that I now realise you have been debating since 2009 or thereabouts (ie the tender sideframes and loco pipes back-to-front). I'm so glad I read this forum because, as many of you have said, it was a 10 minute job to sort out the tender and I'll do the same to the loco once I have summoned up enough courage to remove the body from the chassis. No problem with the front bogie on my model.

That said (and forgive me if this is slightly off-topic), I have just received the new N15 (Sir Sagramore) whose pulling power out of the box was such that it barely moved along under its own steam, as it were. A look at the front bogie support plate showed that it was so bent down that only the rear drivers were on the track. Bent the offending plate upwards a little and now he pulls like a good'un.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Good day everyone!  I have not posted here before but...

… having recently bought a second-hand T9+6-wheel tender was astonished to see the errors that I now realise you have been debating since 2009 or thereabouts (ie the tender sideframes and loco pipes back-to-front). I'm so glad I read this forum because, as many of you have said, it was a 10 minute job to sort out the tender and I'll do the same to the loco once I have summoned up enough courage to remove the body from the chassis. No problem with the front bogie on my model.

That said (and forgive me if this is slightly off-topic), I have just received the new N15 (Sir Sagramore) whose pulling power out of the box was such that it barely moved along under its own steam, as it were. A look at the front bogie support plate showed that it was so bent down that only the rear drivers were on the track. Bent the offending plate upwards a little and now he pulls like a good'un.

Mike

Do us all a favour ,please and e mail Hornby with that info. If we all did that,me included,then maybe ,just maybe,they'll do something to stop the occurrence of errors such as the one you describe.

• 1 month later...

Interesting as my R3108 is marked CHL so it appears Hornby was able to move production of the T9 from Sanda Kan and thus may issue further versions. But some of the same errors exist as in early Sanda Kan production.

• RMweb Gold

My R3107 T9 arrived from a certain Sheffield Emporium this morning. Looks good, tender frames are the correct way round, paint and lining is faultless and new style packaging (no bits floating round that shouldn't).

Only issue (so far) is the pipes under the running plate are reversed (easy to remedy). Will give it a test run shortly

• RMweb Gold

Progress report...

My latest T9 (R3107) ran ok straight from the box, however I did have to tweak the pick-ups on the front bogie slightly as they were stopping the wheels from turning properly (nothing new there!!) After this relatively minor tweak, 30313 ran very smoothly and relatively quietly. I happy to report the haulage capability is excellent, I had mine hauling a rake of 6 Hornby Pullmans (12 wheeled ones mainly) with absolute ease.

post-7000-0-67313500-1419344967_thumb.jpg

Probably the only shot you'll see of this T9 as 30313, as she is destined to become 30301 in the not to distant future.

Archived