The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The Company Strategy has made use of a Gap Analysis linked with Best Practice to improve the Bottom Line but we  need to Touch Base to explain our Game Plan so that you are not Out of the Loop and can see the Big Picture  to ensure that you are aware of how we are  Adding Value by making best use of our Movers & Shakers and by being Customer Focussed while we Benchmark with others to see if our Business Case is Cool and is Proactive, not Reactive while allowing us all to Think outside the box while moving up the Learning Curve and Streamlining our business to get away from yesterdays  "Me, Me, Me" culture and the use of "Quick & Dirty" solutions to problems highlighted by Customer Feedback. We will make more use of  Knowledge Management to remove the "A need to know basis" processes in place, as, at the end of the day, our Balanced scorecard will reveal how far we have moved towards a Quality problem solving approach rather than pushing for a "My little hero" approach which means we will have to use Process mapping to make best use of you as our Change Agents to put this one to bed - after all this isn't Rocket Science and we are already in the Ball Park with our current Business Strategy and the  Knock on effects from its implementation.

Management speak par excellence!

Baz

EH?

Afternoon all!  Been busy ploughing through stuff and suffering from death by project management...  I can see the point of having a team plan, but we seem to spend more time doing the plan and updating the progress on it than actually doing the work. (Feels a bit like Rimmer's revision planner)

On the plus side, tomorrow's my last working day of the week.  Which is a good thing.  I'm getting increasingly frustrated in this job and think I need a new challenge.  I've been here for more than 3 years, and I'm getting fed up of increased "governance" at the expense of actually doing things.  There's nothing interesting on our internal vacancy board at the moment, but I think I'll be keeping a closer eye on it now.

Yup, me too!

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all

Delighted to hear Mrs TG has had more reassuring news. Fingers crossed that the strategy is effective.

some of the comments seem quite forumlaic. 

Freud? Freud? Wherefore art thou Freud?

My journey went well yesterday, with Alison starting the day by being on time for my taxi to the station. The rest of the trip carried on in the same vein. Now Installed to good effect in Torquay, with dinner last night in the pub. Start as you mean to go on! Sherry's hip is playing up, which is boring. My stay may be quite sedentary. More anon.

• Like 6

Evening all,

Heat has been coagulating various neuroproteins, so have not been doing much as of late

...Things like the 7 July bombings can bring home to us all the horrors which the mindless can inflict on others - a set of terrible, and basically utterly pointless, mass murders.  And for the victims it is all very often no more than a matter of unfortunate happenstance which makes it so much terrible for us all.  I occasionally look back on 5 October 1999 and thank myself for getting up late, getting stuck in traffic, and missing my usual train to Paddington - just as no doubt others may have similar feelings about what they did or didn't do on that fateful July day 10 years ago, my sympathies are with them all....

One can only be thankful. Once I was unable to catch the very early LHR-NYC flight and had to kill my heels in the lounge watching the news and was startled to see planes crash into skyscrapers - it was 9/11 and had I taken the earlier flight I would have already been in NY in the vicinity of the Twin Towers...

...The cancer centre experience could have been much worse....Is is to have 6 lots of medium strength chemo at 3 weekly intervals from next week. Followed by mastectomy and plating/pinning of hip area. Prognosis is for years rather than months. .....

Very encouraging news, indeed.  At every ASCO and ECCO meeting more and more new, effective, targeted onco-therapies are presented and each new drug pushes out the expected patient lifespan (and quality of life) in the different cancers. When I was first introduced to oncology (as a student) many decades ago, there wasn't much optimism around, but now - as Jock can attest - it's a completely different picture.

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A little while ago my doctor told me to cut down on my sugar intake or run the risk of diabetes. I have succeeded quite well in that though my blood glucose levels are still more than they should be they are reducing. However at this time of year it was my habit to drink a lot of fruit juice so I looked around for an alternative. I found a carton labelled 'coconut water' that seemed to fit the bill as the 1 litre carton only had 2.5% of the recommended daily sugar intake, however it was rather expensive for what was basically water with a bit of coconut flavour added. I then tried what was labelled 'coconut milk' which had even less sugar but no taste, when I read the label it turned out to be a milk substitute for those with lactose intolerance, it may be of interest to Mick for young Jamie though as it is protein free. I then tried a similar product made from almonds, absolutely zero sugar but with a slightly 'nutty' taste which I like.

I, thank goodness. have no worries concerning either my serum glucose or my LDL/HDL ratios, but - for a number of reasons (wishing to avoid noxious chemical stews amongst other things) - I have long stopped drinking colas, and other synthetic fizzies. Instead I make bottles of lime water or lemon water. Basically a big bottle of sparkling mineral water that has had a few mL decanted out and replaced with freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice, the bottle is shaken and is put in the fridge to chill. It's very refreshing and has anywhere from a light lemon/lime tang to a mouth puckering tartness, depending upon the amount of juice put into the mineral water. What's more, apart from being healthy it's also dirt cheap to make.

You can also make your own alcoholic ginger beer. I've just made my first batch and it's pretty decent (though without much of a kick). I'm going to have to play around with the recipe - dialling down the sweetness and adding more ginger root oomph. But it's incredibly easy, much simpler than making fruit liqueurs and cordials (which I also make)

Well that's all for now. A tumbler of whisky, the latest Charles Stross Laundry novel and a comfy, custom built wing back Chesterfield chair (my birthday present from Mrs iD :imsohappy:) await.

Goodnight all

iD

• Like 4

I like to think we can still do quaint down here. But I wouldn't be surprised if a website existed; some of the comments seem quite forumlaic. 

Freud? Freud? Wherefore art thou Freud?

Serendipitous Metathese, ich glaube ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Not able to catch up tonight, and just popped in to say that I'll not be around until Sunday as other "more" important things are currently having to get priority.

Vet is happy with Lily's ears, which have apparently cleared up.

Generic greetings to all, and hope to catch up at the weekend.

Regards to All

Stewart

Evening All

Not able to catch up tonight, and just popped in to say that I'll not be around until Sunday as other "more" important things are currently having to get priority.

Regards to All

Stewart

Must clean my glasses more often - for a while, I'd been wondering why 45156 always signs off with regards to Al Stewart.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Regards to All

Stewart

You mean there are more important matters than ERs?   

Have I missed something?  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Power has been off today (with notice given) for 'major works'.

The major works consisted of pruning some trees.

To protect the branch lines?

Hat.... :jester:

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

Evening all. Barely awake as I type this after a long day. Today was school trip day with a visit to the National Sea Life Centre in Birmingham. Despite being a long standing visitor attraction they clearly are not well equipped for school visits. They had already told us we could not get in until 11.30am and could not guarantee when we would be given access to the lunch room. Upon arrival we were allocated a 12-12.30 slot for lunch, but the room was situated at the end of the whole walking route. This left us with just half an hour to lead the excited children around the centre before reaching the lunch room.

When we arrived we were left to queue in a cramped corridor until we were allowed into the room at 12.10. The room had not been cleaned with loads of food all over the floor. We had to share the room with another party. To say it was cramped was an understatement. Once the children were sat down they could not move. Had a child choked or been sick we would never have been able to reach them. In addition, despite being in the room ten minutes late we were still given a five minute warning to vacate the room at 12.25 - no additional time given to compensate for the late access to the room!

Once we escaped the room we had our main visit time. To return to the various aquariums we were asked to leave the building via the gift shops on and then walk around the outside of the building in the rain to the main entrance once again.

Despite this the children seemed to enjoy the visit. The new penguin exhibit proved a hit as did the Rays and clown fish in the coral reef display and the bay of Ray area. The ocean tunnel was spectacular with large sharks, Rays and sea turtles passing over inches from their heads. During our time in the tunnel we observed one large shark chase down and eat three live fish much to my colleague's horror! The food chain in action!

During the visit the children were given some tasks to complete and enjoyed finding out about the clown fish and rays. They also had a food chain activity to complete at the Rock pool display. This was part of the centre's official school pack. You would think then that the staff would be well versed in the answers, but no! The young girl on duty tried to tell the children that the sun was the top of the chain...errr no!!! She seemed only capable of inviting the children to stroke a starfish, but could not name the other creatures on display.

The day was compounded by massive traffic problems on the routes out of Brum which turned an hour journey into an hour and three quarters. No wonder I am shattered.

There will be an email of complaint heading to the centre later this week once I can see straight again.

12 days until the summer break!

Edited by andyram

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. Barely awake as I type this after a long day. Today was school trip day with a visit to the National Sea Life Centre in Birmingham. Despite being a long standing visitor attraction they clearly are not well equipped for school visits. They had already told us we could not get in until 11.30am and could not guarantee when we would be given access to the lunch room. Upon arrival we were allocated a 12-12.30 slot for lunch, but the room was situated at the end of the whole walking route. This left us with just half an hour to lead the excited children around the centre before reaching the lunch room.

When we arrived we were left to queue in a cramped corridor until we were allowed into the room at 12.10. The room had not been cleaned with loads of food all over the floor. We had to share the room with another party. To say it was cramped was an understatement. Once the children were sat down they could not move. Had a child choked or been sick we would never have been able to reach them. In addition, despite being in the room ten minutes late we were still given a five minute warning to vacate the room at 12.25 - no additional time given to compensate for the late access to the room!

Once we escaped the room we had our main visit time. To return to the various aquariums we were asked to leave the building via the gift shops on and then walk around the outside of the building in the rain to the main entrance once again.

Despite this the children seemed to enjoy the visit. The new penguin exhibit proved a hit as did the Rays and clown fish in the coral reef display and the bay of Ray area. The ocean tunnel was spectacular with large sharks, Rays and sea turtles passing over inches from their heads. During our time in the tunnel we observed one large shark chase down and eat three live fish much to my colleague's horror! The food chain in action!

During the visit the children were given some tasks to complete and enjoyed finding out about the clown fish and rays. They also had a food chain activity to complete at the Rock pool display. This was part of the centre's official school pack. You would think then that the staff would be well versed in the answers, but no! The young girl on duty tried to tell the children that the sun was the top of the chain...errr no!!! She seemed only capable of inviting the children to stroke a starfish, but could not name the other creatures on display.

The day was compounded by massive traffic problems on the routes out of Brum which turned an hour journey into an hour and three quarters. No wonder I am shattered.

There will be an email of complaint heading to the centre later this week once I can see straight again.

12 days until the summer break!

I remember the joy of school visits! I tended to have tutor groups (form to older readers!) that had injunctions preventing them gathering in public so I thought I would be safe. However for some reason I used to get asked where a male member of staff was required to accompany a group. I suspect I wasn't quick enough at hiding!

Morning all,

Rick, great to hear you seem to be on the mend at last!

On the subject of school reports, I was lucky enough to have started my education in Scotland (where the real threat of punishment if you didn't learn certainly worked on me!) which meant I was ahead of the curriculum when dad moved us to Essex! My reports from my English school were always good, especially in English, Maths, Physics, TD and Art thanks to charismatic and committed teachers in all these subjects. I think Andy B's comment on the 'teachers comments' section of a report was interesting - I've always felt that it gives a clear indication of how well the teacher/pupil relationship is working, or not as the case may be!

I well remember discussions on 'Vygotsky' and 'proximal development' with my former brother in law, now a professor and one of the leading child psychologists in the country. Our son had a couple of free consultations and survived, and as a plus, a mild case of dyslexia was discovered! Strange how his three children went through some very troubled times!!

John(KB), it's a pity you didn't go to school in the USA where excelling at sport seems to lead to academic achievement.

Mick(NB), being a confessed steam fan, still stuck somewhere in the fifties/early sixties, I've only just got round to reading your BRM article on 'Blackmill'. A most impressive achievement - I don't know why I didn't become a follower of the thread. I have found the one on the replacement however, and will have to settle for that! I'm sure there will be lots of helpful information despite the different eras.

Ian(OD), glad to hear you made it to your lovely ladies side, but rather sad to hear that Sherry is suffering. I'm used to this problem as Joanna suffers with her hips, which is why I chose the C3 Picasso for her, to benefit from the high seating position. It has subsequently worked for me as well. Treading the boards has probably taken its toll? Hope you find some comfort soon Sherry - life can be odd at times as now you can pass the nursing duties to Ian as he seems to have recovered!

Good to hear from Flávio, hope the business start up is proceeding without too much stress.

Been busy here yesterday, as midnight signalled the start of my birthday, which for obvious reasons, I'm very grateful! Problem is, we expect lots of visitors later in the day (hopefully none with a wooden horse!) and so 'WE' have to clean and tidy up in readiness. With Joanna's shoulder still out of commission, you can guess that 'we' is spelt 'me'!! Now the next target for me is next year's event. Not sure how much of a post I'll produce tomorrow as there appears to be a fair amount of bubbly chilling in the fridge!

Downhill to the weekend folks, let's hope for plenty to cheer about,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

It's been cold and raining nearly all day here on the Costa. . . A bit  grey. . . . Still . . it'll be better tomorrow . . . 

Goodnight all . . . . Pleasant dreams.

John

P.S. Happy Birthday, Jock . . . I look forward to saying the same next year.

Edited by Two_sugars

• RMweb Premium

Matutinal Greetings one and all

Today I return to the Palace of Attendance where my resolve shall be put to the test in what is forecast to be just 8C, showery and with a modest breeze and wind-chill factor.  Recovery continues slowly.

Best wishes to Mrs TG - it's a road some of us know only too well in our own ways, self included.  Reminds me - I have my annual check-up in two weeks' time so had better assemble the required paperwork.

SWMBO continues to wrote her PhD thesis though it might be completed sooner if she could transfer her fingers from ukulele to keyboard at times.  It's environmental history she's submitting in after all, not E-major ;)

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday Jock - keep 'em coming!

You mean there are more important matters than ERs?   

Have I missed something?  :scratchhead:

Yes - Model Railways....................... 

It's not a matter of life and Death - it's more important than that.

:jester:

Or so it seems to some people.

Not to me though - it's only a hobby.........

Enjoy.

On another note;

Been dipping in and out of ER's as limited time allows over the past few days.

Finally managed to finish off the last of 11 Prom nights at wife's work (freeing up early evenings for driving work and Wednesday evening golf0).

Over the past two weeks or so, we've had somewhere near 2000 kids and staff. Loads of Porsche/Bentley/RR/Ferrari/Lambo/other reasonably smart cars etc/two helicopters, one tank, one tri-axle double decker, loads of VW campers, vintage cars (invariably breaking down as the await their turn in the drop-off queue)/two McLarens/one Bond Bug/no fire engines/lots of stretched limos/YPLAC 4x4's/only two or three d*ckhead drivers - they must be getting used to me shouting at them/one US breakdown truck/three horses/two quad bikes/6 tractors and numerous other cars.

I've just received notification that my "Functional Skills" English & Maths courses (Referring back many pages that O and A-levels are now no longer recognised if taken many years ago) are now completed and eligible for "Employer Support Payments". Thanks to various funding bodies, because I've given up my time as (mostly) self-employed to do the courses, £800 is now heading my way........ Not bad for 16 hours actual commitment! More modelling funds.......

Although work is very busy, driving and recent prom nights, I've still managed to fit in a couple of rounds of golf with an ER this (now yesterday) morning to play at Leyland in the rain and another ER tomorrow (now today) to play at my course in round two of three in a weekday competition - then off to work at 1pm.....

Enjoy the rest of the week beyond the hump as it runs into POETS...............

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14