The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I just wish they wouldn't say this is going to really hurt and then it doesn't!

I dunno why but over here they say: “You’ll only feel a little pr!ck....”

To which I customarily respond with: “Speak for your self”

As my response can be taken in several ways it works with either sex, or three.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

It was worse when I had my vasectomy and the (female) surgeon said "Just a little prick"!

That has to be the first post in a while that could legitimately lay claim to that dreadful text speak abbreviation "lol". I genuinely laughed out loud.

• Like 8

I know we all like to try out new restaurants but, here in La Sarthe, the local insect population is dining out on a new delicacy -  me! After several nasty mozzy bites at the start of my stay, I now have two unsightly horse fly bites on my legs. Ian is administering ice packs which are soothing and I hope to order some Avon cream recommended by a couple friends who claim it is used by the Army!

In the context of the major illnesses and surgery being endured by others here, I realise this is minor but they itch like crazy!!

The Avon one is recommended by the SAS for the attacks of the Heelan' Midgie!

• Like 1

I dunno why but over here they say: “You’ll only feel a little pr!ck....”

To which I customarily respond with: “Speak for your self”

That's one compensation for the repetitious patter, you've had time to think of a snappy retort.

I've had to have angioplasty several times in a femoral artery that keeps getting clogged up; I don't mind the procedure itself, but having to lie flat and still for a couple of hours afterwards is a bit wearisome. Still, I look forward to the staff nurse giving me my orders on what to do and what not to do while I recuperate:

This always winds up with "And no nooky!

Giving me an open goal:

"Aw Staff - and I was just going to ask if you're doing anything tonight!"

• Like 1

Back home...

Precious Cargo as Jock calls her safely delivered, beer offered and accepted, fish'n chips consumed.

Good journey, no problems whatsoever at the tunnel apart from the ridiculous queues at British passport control. We even got an earlier train than booked.

I haven't caught up yet, but I see you have the Sutton Water Policy, Bob. So do we. They don't know it yet but they'll be fitting a new shower pump later this week.

Good to see Flavio up and about, I'll engage a bit better when I'm not so cream crackered!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

That is a fantastic looking railway Keith. It certainly provides more inspiration to the plans that are bubbling away in my head right now. May I ask what you have used for the track bed and how much it is raised above ground level? Is it 00 gauge?

Thanks Andy, its taken a long time to get where it is.

Track gauge is 45mm commonly referred to as G-scale. Rivet counters should close their eyes as G-scale is and can be a mish-mash of scales. For instance models of the metre gauge Harz system in Germany and the RhB in Switzerland are 1:22.5 whilst models of the DB standard gauge are 1:29. Isle of Man  stuff is about 1:18....... all running on 45mm track. Favourite from the Harz is the 2-10-2T on a short train:

post-586-0-68425700-1439322109.jpg

and new trains on the RhB:

post-586-0-27394200-1439322207.jpg

....and if you want standard gauge on the DB something like this push-pull:

post-586-0-96678300-1439322239.jpg

Track bed is mainly formed of aerated (Celcon) blocks set in bricklaying mortar. A lot of the track is just above ground level but at the top of the mountain section its about 3ft off the ground. Recently had to redo a section of elevated track where I had used breeze blocks which was a big mistake as they started to crumble. This shows what was involved starting with breaking up the breeze blocks:

post-586-0-99245200-1439322610.jpg

and progress laying in the aerated blocks:

post-586-0-90599900-1439323003.jpg

post-586-0-44826300-1439323052.jpg

Its all good fun and games......and keeps me out of trouble!!

Keith

• Like 18

I know we all like to try out new restaurants but, here in La Sarthe, the local insect population is dining out on a new delicacy -  me! After several nasty mozzy bites at the start of my stay, I now have two unsightly horse fly bites on my legs. Ian is administering ice packs which are soothing and I hope to order some Avon cream recommended by a couple friends who claim it is used by the Army!

In the context of the major illnesses and surgery being endured by others here, I realise this is minor but they itch like crazy!!

The family remedy has always been Oil of Spike Lavender.  It works for me and has the advantage of smelling nice.  Number one Jack Russell always suffered from insect bites, so the call of "Toddy, Spike" would have him lined up on parade ready for a quick rub and then a walk.

Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a dark and quiet village. The day has gone well. The oven man came and repaired it during the stated time period. The car is to be inspected on Thursday while I'm working on the layout at the clubrooms. We got a draft plan for this year's show sorted. At least we now know we can get all the layouts in (just) but Steve has been told not to book any more as the walls aren't elastic. I've also managed to earn some brownie points by scanning and photoshopping some 200 family photos of various shapes and sizes so that they can got into an album that the Fil is going to be presented with on Friday at his 90th birthday party. I even managed to find the negative for one very faded print from 1980, scan it and produce a presentable image.

Good to hear that Flavio is in good spirits. I just hope that he doesn't do himself a mischief chasing the said nurse around.

Jamie

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

21:30

Evening all from red dragon land.

Clear sky with red sunset low in the sky and bat aerobatics outside the window.

Yesterday, on our way into Bangor, we ended up in a traffic jam with police car ahead flashing its lights so we turned into a side road at the bottom end of town.  Thinking it would have all disappeared after lunch we went back onto the road to head out of Bangor the other way to get to B&Q and ended back in the traffic jam.

post-14049-0-66564100-1439326055.jpg

post-14049-0-33792900-1439326057.jpg

post-14049-0-49009200-1439326058.jpg

post-14049-0-31773300-1439326060.jpg

post-14049-0-67937000-1439326061.jpg

post-14049-0-45344900-1439326052.jpg

And not a tree surgeon in sight.  :butcher:

Today's highlight - a new Henry arrived since the 'old' one has made its way down to the shed!  Wonder how many of you saw that one coming. :mosking:

• Like 15

Thanks Andy, its taken a long time to get where it is.

Track gauge is 45mm commonly referred to as G-scale. Rivet counters should close their eyes as G-scale is and can be a mish-mash of scales. For instance models of the metre gauge Harz system in Germany and the RhB in Switzerland are 1:22.5 whilst models of the DB standard gauge are 1:29. Isle of Man  stuff is about 1:18....... all running on 45mm track. Favourite from the Harz is the 2-10-2T on a short train:

attachicon.gifHSB-2-10-2T-02.jpg

and new trains on the RhB:

attachicon.gifRhBAllegra-02.jpg

....and if you want standard gauge on the DB something like this push-pull:

attachicon.gifDB-AGPush-Pull.jpg

Track bed is mainly formed of aerated (Celcon) blocks set in bricklaying mortar. A lot of the track is just above ground level but at the top of the mountain section its about 3ft off the ground. Recently had to redo a section of elevated track where I had used breeze blocks which was a big mistake as they started to crumble. This shows what was involved starting with breaking up the breeze blocks:

attachicon.gifRepairWorksPhase2-08.jpg

and progress laying in the aerated blocks:

attachicon.gifRepairWorksPhase2-15.jpg

attachicon.gifRepairWorksPhase2-17.jpg

Its all good fun and games......and keeps me out of trouble!!

Keith

Thanks again Keith. I have considered G Scale and have been quite tempted by the Bachmann Thomas sets as a starting point. I am also quite interested in the idea of a 00 gauge garden layout as I already have so much stock in that gauge. The idea of scale length trains running around through the flower beds certainly appeals, but I am not yet sure what to plump for.

On another subject I have had an enjoyable time at the club tonight. A couple of members have already laid a double track section that runs over 20 ft in length and the scale drawing for our Quorn model is now in place. A great time was had running trains up the and down the two ready laid straight sections. I even managed our first windcutter freight courtesy of my Bachmann 04 63601 and nine mineral wagons. Great stuff.

• Like 6

Well, the sitting room has been taken over by the teenagers. Television on but no one watching as they are all playing with their iphones, tablets or whatever. BiL has retreated to bed and Steph and her sister are relaxing outside, so I am assuming the midges have also gone to bed. Nephews and nieces are easy to entertain, they get up before lunch (a late breakfast for them) head into town for a while, then its down to our little harbour for a spot of kayaking, jumping off the pier, etc. This seems to keep them happy for hours. The dogs enjoyed it too.  A guy came in having caught more mackerel than he knew what to do with, so copious quantities were purchased for a song, brought home and cooked for supper. Yummy! 

Flights booked for my next trip to the UK in September, I hope I got the dates right after rather a lot of wine. Now considering retiring to the motorhome for a good nights sleep. 

By the way, Irelands' answer to the good ship Patricia has just come into port. I wonder if they take paying passengers?

Goodnight all.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Well, the sitting room has been taken over by the teenagers. Television on but no one watching as they are all playing with their iphones, tablets or whatever. BiL has retreated to bed and Steph and her sister are relaxing outside, so I am assuming the midges have also gone to bed. Nephews and nieces are easy to entertain, they get up before lunch (a late breakfast for them) head into town for a while, then its down to our little harbour for a spot of kayaking, jumping off the pier, etc. This seems to keep them happy for hours. The dogs enjoyed it too.  A guy came in having caught more mackerel than he knew what to do with, so copious quantities were purchased for a song, brought home and cooked for supper. Yummy! 

Flights booked for my next trip to the UK in September, I hope I got the dates right after rather a lot of wine. Now considering retiring to the motorhome for a good nights sleep. 

By the way, Irelands' answer to the good ship Patricia has just come into port. I wonder if they take paying passengers?

Goodnight all.

Ray has just downloaded the tv app on his ipad and is now watching tv while watching tv.  :O 

• Like 9

Evening all.

Keith's garden layout is visible on AA satellite maps.  You just need to know where to look!  It's even more impressive in the flesh, although I have yet to see it working.

I went to the women's Test Match at Canterbury today.  Very impressed by the athleticism of the England team in the field.  Katharine Brunt and Anya Shrubsole both bowled over 20 overs at a fast pace and the ground fielding was (mainly) very athletic.  But England put down too many catches.  I was very impressed with Sarah Taylor's keeping, which I reckon is to men's county standard.  She didn't wear pads or a helmet and stood up to every bowler except Brunt, giving away 5 byes all day. 

Bill

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Nice colours too.

Brown Green and black.

It's not so much insect repelling cam cream, it's just the little sh*ts can't see you any more!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My eldest herbert pointed me to a "find the word which appeared the year you were born" page on t'nternet. Mine seem to be OK for me!

Oenophilic Adjective Relating to or designating an oenophile or oenophiles; wine-loving.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

After reporting my sightings of a Spitfire on Sunday/Monday whilst near RAF Woodvale, what flies over my house today at about 0930? The unmistakable sound of a Merlin. I look up to see that gorgeous wing shape and I'm now trying to find out if it was the same Spit.

ER tomorrow with Mrs & junior NB for a day trip to Edinburgh. We booked the tickets in Virgin Trains seat sale about 6 weeks ago for nothing more than a day out. £51 for three of us from Preston-Edinburgh. Then we realised the Fringe is on. Cue much searching by Mrs NB to find a suitable show or two and I think we've ended up with a bus tour and a walking tour............ (Typical simple tourist stuff). I may wangle a trip to Harburn Hobbies or a tram ride on my own no doubt  - last time I was there, there were about to start commissioning runs with the tram system.

I may be posting tomorrow courtesy of Scotrail's free wifi.

Enjoy the hump folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 16

Morning all,

Guess who fell asleep in front of the TV, after saying I'll be up soon love?

Too sleepy to post now so I'll do that in the morning. I must say I trawled through to check on Flávio's progress and am delighted to see his spirited post - great news. I also noticed that poor Sherry is in some discomfort - hope you find something to at least stop the itching and allow you some sleep!

Hope you all get over the hump well, and as Arnie said, I'll be back!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all! Sweet dreams for those who have them.

• Like 17