Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Meanwhile, on the right bank (of the Pacific that is) I am on my tod as Lorna is currently in darkest Renfrewshire visiting her mum (now 95). As I reached the two-thirds of a century mark today (rounded up) and as it was a really nice evening, I had a top-sirloin steak from the freezer, with chips (or course). Chips are mandatory as we have more spuds here than we know what to do with.

As It turned out, the steak was a bit on the big side (think Desperate Dan), and I couldn't finish it, but I will run what's left through the slicer tomorrow.

BTW, are there any drawings for 7/8 live steam locomotives on the Hinterweb? I might take a shot at one if there are.

• Like 14

Morning all. Dry and chilly start to the day here. I just hope that it's going to warm up a bit. Back to Shooters Hill today and tomorrow and although the work isn't challenging in the slightest, the site isn't the easiest to work on.

Thinking of the sick, recovering and missing and I have to echo Rick's comment about Clacton.

Have a good day everyone

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Infection seems to be slowly getting better. A visit to the ENT yesterday yielded another round of antibiotics as the principal cause was again determined to be bacterial, and staying off work till Wednesday. After which I'd have a scheduled two days off in any case, so this should be sufficient time to flush the bug out. I appreciated how the doc took her time to weigh options, given the issue of resistances. However, I suppose there just are those cases where you cannot realistically work without antibiotics.

Elise got herself a new MacBook Pro yesterday which I'm currently migrating her applications and files to. Other than that, I'll just see what today will bring…

Later.

Edited by NGT6 1315

Many Happy returns Andy.  I'm guessing from the time zone calculation versus time of your post that your birthday was yesterday, so my best wishes could be belated....:-)

Sat and watched Spurs last night who were on top form.  Great end to the day as we beat local rivals, Hartley Wintney in a summer league match in the morning and kept our unbeaten record for 2016.

Have a good one... 

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning to mostl

Belated Happy birthday Andy.

Rick, hope your working day goes well.

Smithy, if you are looking for the whelkmen they have decamped to my still pond like garden.

Sunny morning here, I have "tidying up" to do, oh frabjoy!

TTFN

Baz

• Like 1

Morning All,

We have a beautiful, bright, spring morning here.  It is still quite chilly though, there was a touch of ground frost first thing.

Last night, I managed to find the problem with the borehole pump.  It seems that the non-return valve has got clogged with limescale.  Another job that needs doing, but at least I now know where the problem lies!

Hi Robert.

Do you actually change the tyres on your car, or do you have two sets of wheels? If so do you have somewhere to keep 4 or 5 wheels with tyres on, or do the tyre garages store them for you? The other thing that occurs to me is the cost of buying a second set of wheels, especially if they are alloys. My previous van (VW) which I bought new, was supplied by VW to the dealer on steel rims and the alloys were dealer-fitted as part of the package, They gave me the steel rims because they would have gone on the scrap heap otherwise.

I have two sets of wheels - I am fortunate enough to have a garage where I can store the second set of tyres.  However, many garages offer a service whereby they will store your tyres for you, and swap them over twice a year.  We have just taken advantage of this with Mercedes' new car, because it has tyre pressure sensors which need resetting when the wheels are switched over.  You need the appropriate gadget to do this job - but the garage have it already and do it as part of the service.

Some people do swap tyres over with one set of rims, but I am not a fan of this - it is much more likely to cause damage to the wall of the tyre - because they are not designed to be put on and off repeatedly.

M+S tyres are as good as compulsory in Germany in Winter.  If you have an accident, and are not adequately equipped for the conditions, then the insurance can refuse to pay out.  However, when my Dad changed his car he elected to fit all weather tyres which can stay on all year round.  They are a bit of a compromise over summer/ winter tyres, but it avoids having to buy a second set of rims - which can be very expensive for modern cars.  As my parents only visit now and again they decided the outlay of a second set of rims wasn't worth it.  Most people have a set of steel rims for the winter and alloys for summer.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 5

Good morning!

Back to work after a few days off; hey ho!

We had the water supply pipe from the meter renewed a few years back and included re-plumbing most of the stuff under the house.  I was amazed to find only one plumber and one day was required.  Our sandy soil certainly helps because he brought forth his trench-digging device which promptly cut a narrow swathe through the land in minutes and in went the nice bright blue pipe.  No tape, no warning but also no real hazard.  We just have to remember exactly where it is if we need to dig more than a foot or so down for anything!   

Of course, the pipe from the main street supply to the house used to be metal, and all the electrical network within the house is bonded to the plumbing to provide the earth 'connection. If you replace this with a plastic supply pipe, where's the house earthed to? - Simply nowhere!

Best wishes to all in need and safe return to the missing

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Overcast but dry this morning.

An earlier Thameslink st terminates at LBG couldn't get up on time out of he sidings at Brighton so it only got as far as Gateick. I suspect that's what's knocks our services out of their time slots. Ours late and no seats together for us two no doubt due to picking up people off a later service.

As it was dry when we got home I decided t cut the grass for the first it,ex this year. Might need a new lawnmower as it stopped as I got to the last part of the garden right at the back. It's done well since moving in over twenty years ago.

After that I managed to redo the lights in one end of the N scale rail grinder. Other end yet to wire up. Both the Prague Central station live cam alternating with the Rochelle webcam.

Poor nights sleep as up on and off for over three hours.

PS Happy birthday Andy. In our office we have to buy a few boxes of Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Might be a bit stale if you tried it for us lot!!

Edited by roundhouse

Good morning one and all

There was an emergency fodder run yesterday because there was barely sufficient milk for my cereal.   A quick check soon revealed other items with dangerously low stocks so off I went and was back home just within the hour.  It means that I do not have to do it today.  Hoorah.

A conversation with a pal at Scalefour North had me rummaging in books yesterday afternoon for info on gas holders.  They appear to be fascinating things, so ancient and of so many types.  This is what happens at shows - well, it happens to me.  You find yourself deep in conversation on subjects which, you suddenly realise, expose a wide range of ignorance.  The railway community, thank goodness, is full of folk who know an amazing amount.  Some, unfortunately, are pre-disposed to spout it whether or not the other person wishes to know.   If I ever get like that, shoot me.  Oh dear, is that an orderly queue forming?

As always, best wishes to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving and missing.

Chris

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Of course, the pipe from the main street supply to the house used to be metal, and all the electrical network within the house is bonded to the plumbing to provide the earth 'connection. If you replace this with a plastic supply pipe, where's the house earthed to?

Earthing bonds beneath the house.  Typically Australian houses have large voids under the floor, often large enough for use as more rooms.  These let the air flow through the house and help to avoid flash flood damage.  It's only the more recent homes which are built on concrete slabs, most are on stumps.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Happy Birthday Andy.

There seems to be some blue sky appearing between the clouds and it should be a fine and dry day.

This will probably change because the car is still dirty and I've decided that it will get washed today so I expect it to rain later.

Grandchildren x 2 will be here later for their usual after school visit.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 13

Earthing bonds beneath the house.  Typically Australian houses have large voids under the floor, often large enough for use as more rooms.  These let the air flow through the house and help to avoid flash flood damage.  It's only the more recent homes which are built on concrete slabs, most are on stumps.

Rick we use earth stakes now which are driven into the ground. This is because most plumbing is now in plastic piping (copper is too expensive!) and it hid problems at times. I have hear of people being shocked off plumbing previously. 

• RMweb Premium

Rick we use earth stakes now which are driven into the ground. This is because most plumbing is now in plastic piping (copper is too expensive!) and it hid problems at times. I have hear of people being shocked off plumbing previously. 

Steaks.  Yes.  Reminds me - almost time to fire up the BBQ ;)

Bonds?  British name for them.  Used in Australia as a name for underwear. 

• Like 9

Morning all. I was wondering where the Whelkmen had gone. Their wives and girlfriends have been wailing and gnashing their teeth (fortunately detachable) and lamenting their absence. Their gaily coloured dirndls and espadrilles make a sad sight against their tear-stained cheeks and slithery mascara.

But it's damp and a bit cool here, a fox is asleep on the roof of the medium-sized shed.

Happy Birthday, Andy, and good vibrations to all of those in distress. I had a long phone call from a very old, good friend yesterday, who has fallen out with his oldest son and is sounding, well, honestly, a bit strange. I'm still wondering what to do as he resents and form of kind intervention.

Today is going to be a busy one. Off to take Macbook in for a new case top (the one Apple extended the warranty for) and pick up the Macbook with a new battery, then to Emmaus to donate some stuff, then to IKEA, chiz, to buy some display cases, then over to the gallery to make them. I'm hoping I'll be bought lunch again (I was yesterday). In health terms both my blood glucose and weight are down, so happy with that. I start a new form of insulin on Friday, seeing the nurse (Betty) on Thursday.

I bought the first of the new partwork of 1/43 F1 cars yesterday - Ayrton Senna's 1998 McLaren. It's OK, and at one time I would have subscribed, but I've got boxes of 1/43 racers i the loft, so there would be duplication and wailing and gnashing (again) given the amount of loft that is taken up storing GBL models...

So, Ladies and Gentlemen, may I take this opportunity of wishing you all a healthy, prosperous and tranquil day.

Yr Obedient Servant

Smiffy

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning!

Back to work after a few days off; hey ho!

Of course, the pipe from the main street supply to the house used to be metal, and all the electrical network within the house is bonded to the plumbing to provide the earth 'connection. If you replace this with a plastic supply pipe, where's the house earthed to? - Simply nowhere!

Best wishes to all in need and safe return to the missing

The electric supply should have its own earth the bonding is to ensure the water pipe earth is at the same voltage as the electric supply earth so the plastic pipe will not matter. Inside the house even if the pipes are all copper you only need to use a plastic connector somewhere to break the electrical path. I can only recommend ensuring that all circuits are RCD protected. If the live and return currents do not match the RCD will trip so any current sneaking off down others paths will trip the RCD.

Before the introduction of modern RCD fitted consumer units houses supplied by overhead cable usually had a big RCD fitted before the fusebox and a connection to an earth spike. Underground cables either have an integral earth or use the sheath/armouring as one.

Don

• Like 2

lightengine, on 18 Apr 2016 - 21:33, said:

Wait until u get there and tell them you are racist, sexist, oldist, fattist etc. That should cover most defendants.

AndyB, on 18 Apr 2016 - 21:39, said:

Nah, just go along carrying a copy of the Daily Fail under your arm. 

Basically the same thing...... :jester:

Morning all from that most boring of boroughs. Work from home day as my knee is on strike again. I'm convinced that it has either joined the RMT or was built by Leyland.

Re jury duty, thanks to all of your suggestions I've decided to go in dressed as the grim reaper with a copy of the Daily Hate, while muttering quotes from Alf Garnett and Charles Manson. That will either get me excused or promoted to being a high court judge. I'm in 2 minds really. Half of me wants and can justify a delay until next year due to the nature of my work and the massive financial impact to the employer if we fail to make the payment milestone for the end of June. On the other hand I'd like to just get it out of the way.

Happy Birthday Andy.

That's about it from here. Have a great day everyone.

Good morning all. 

When we had our conservatory built (about ten years ago), the electricians came to install the wiring for the lights and power sockets and decided that the house did not meet the then fairly new part P Regulations. This seemed to involve installing a fair amount of thick green/yellow wiring connecting to the water supply pipe where it emerged from the concrete.

I did ask if they made sure there was no plastic pipe involved but did not get a sensible response, perhaps it was not a sensible question. I decided that if the house had been OK for 50 years then AFAIWC it was still OK.

They did point out that our lighting was not earthed, and we had to have this done in the house we rented out at that time in case the tenants decided to break their agreement and install metal light fittings.

Apparently I am about to have a water meter fitted, and have no choice in the matter. I have, however, declined the kind offer of a "smart meter". I presume this would only be for the electricity? I think I am smart enough to know what I have turned on.

Best wishes etc...

Ed

This crossed with Don's informative post.

Edited by edcayton

• RMweb Premium

Apparently I am about to have a water meter fitted, and have no choice in the matter. I have, however, declined the kind offer of a "smart meter". I presume this would only be for the electricity? I think I am smart enough to know what I have turned on.

We're in the process of having a water meter fitted. It wil be a "smart meter" that can be remotely read. The water utility offer a free fitting in the house or £150-odd if we want it outside. However, they've had a look inside my house, near the stop tap and they can't fit it there. So they waive the charge for digging up the road outside...... Just waiting for the team with a pick and shovel to arrive in the next few days.

The deal with my water supplier is that if it works out that the metered supply is more expensive that our previous "fixed" water rate, we can revert back to the fixed tariff.....

Welcome to a sunny (yes sunny) East Lancashire.

The rest of today will be mostly filled with more decorating and general tidying up of the project at wife's work.

Other admin tasks include checking that my passport and visa are up to date for a three day trip carrying out missionary work on the other side of the Pennines. There may also be some golf and drinking.

Have a good pre-hump day folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 12

Ahh the joy of utility meters.

18 months ago we got a flyer in the letter box from the council saying we'd all be getting smart meters in the next 6 months. 9 months later we got a flyer in the letter box from the council saying we'd all be getting smart meters in the next 6 months. Last week we got a flyer in the letter box from the council saying we'd all be getting smart meters in the next 6 months. In another 9 months I fully expect, a flyer in the letter box from the council saying we'd all be getting smart meters in the next 6 months.

Thames water is supposed to be putting in water meters as well. So far over the past year or so they've spray painted every stop cock access plate in the road white at least 4 times. I don't think anybody has a meter along our road installed so far.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone. A bright but cool morning that sees me working in the Preston area today. First stop Walton Summit, where I'm enjoying a cuppa. After that it will be visits to Ribbleton, Ashton Park and finally Lostock Hall.

Chrisf. I work for a gas company, and I have quite a few photos of gas holders taken very close up and I'd been wondering if I should post them on here or not. I'll have to try and reduce there size as they are far to big to post at the moment.

Happy birthday Andy.

Have a good one.

• Like 11

"The deal with my water supplier is that if it works out that the metered supply is more expensive that our previous "fixed" water rate, we can revert back to the fixed tariff....."

Good luck with that!!!

Morning all and belated birthday felicitations to Andy.

Recently switched utility supplier with part of the cost reduction arising from me taking the readings and uploading them to the web.

I was a bit surprised, therefore, when I had a phone call asking for my meter reading. Allegedly from the supplier. 

I got as far as opening up the 'lecy cupboard when it dawned on me why would anyone cheapen a service by getting the customers to do the leg work and then have a call centre phone them and ask them for their reading. Fish smelt. 

"Ah, no, we do this twice a year as a matter of course", says the contact centre person.

Really? 

Unlike other call centres when I expressed surprise at this and indicated I was going to terminate the call she didn't seem at all concerned or surprised. Nor did she say she "completely understood", as they tend to do.

I suspect it was a rival supplier phoning up to do some kind of market research.

Anyway, it's a cool and cloudy day here today. The grass is growing and the MiL is east of Suez. 

I was asked to organise a taxi for when she docks. A quick search on the internet took me to a local provider who quoted £100 by email. 

Ok, can she pay on the day?

Sure, £100 cash, £120 by card + 3% card handling fee. 

Changing the subject completely I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with BAT. 

TBH, £100 including VAT would be about right. 

My former "employer" has asked for more advice from me today. I'll make it brief and to the point, methinks. 

So, have a nice day everyone. 

• Like 10