Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all, overcast and rain due later. 

Not sure if it was a repeat, but I watched a programme last night on the Red Arrows. Slightly over-dramatised, with much worry about a failed smoke generator. No need for that really as the flying itself was impressive enough.

Followed by Paul Merton's tour d' arrete. I think some would feel there was less than an ideal amount of train content and too much emphasis on local geography. Nevertheless, these programmes have to appeal to enough people to make them worth making and, for me, both episodes have been enjoyable. 

All washed down with a bottle of Hogsback "Hop Garden Gold". 

Heading off to the West Midlands today. Not sure why whenever I head to Shrewsbury the sat nav insists on using the M6 Toll as the default. As soon as I want it to use the M6 Toll, it pretty much denies the existence of this road. 

Best wishes to all. Andy

• Like 18

Morning all, beautiful blue skies again.

My back aches this morning as I did unexpected running around and twisting and turning playing footie in the garden with the Lurker boys. Nice to see Younger Lurker finally enjoying a bit of football - makes a nice difference from the computer. Elder Lurker is now much better than I am!

My parents were over for lunch yesterday. The hormone injections post prostate cancer have really slowed my Dad down. Still he is expecting to be back up to full pace in 18 months time....

Have a good day all

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Temperature is up but a bit muggy this morning so the air conditioning in the car is going to get well used. So long for now, be back later. EDIT for those interested there is a program about Quintishill tonight 9 PM BBC4.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. A beautiful sunny and warm day, blue skies with a few clouds, but no rain is forecast.

SWMBO is out at Zumba and the dining room ceiling has had one coat of paint applied. Just taking a few minutes to have a cuppa and a slice of cake before the second is to be applied. This will be followed by a slightly later than usual lunch. After which I'll start painting the cornice work.

Back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Amazon Prime Now will even deliver that day depending where you are.

I ordered a Microsoft mouse one morning at work and it arrived two hours later at no extra cost to the normal 24 hours.  Could have paid more to get it under an hour but not a lot of point in my case.

However Amazon only had to ship it a few miles from their warehouse unlike sending a phone form Texas!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Running a little late due to extended conversation with the far west regarding a certain model, plus all sorts of other updates and some nice salacious gossip about the world of model railways.

Big warning to Chris(F) and any other upcoming visitors to Bracknell - the town centre is being rebuilt.  Alas the word begins with an 'r' rather than a 'd' as i'm sure it would be much nicer to return to the unassming Berkshire country town it once was rather than build even bigger 'shopping centres' that attract cars like bees round a honey pot.  Oh and a warning to those approaching from the M3/A30 - the junction for Coral Isand 'leisure centre' has changed from a roundabout to a multiple traffic light arrangement with lots of extra lanes.

Crikey - what a day - having to talk about Bracknell in public.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 2

Sun cut through some of the haar yesterday afternoon but still a chilly breeze from the Firth of Forth; today the sun's out with blue skies all around, wonderful.

A bit late, but on the subject of shiftwork, mine was M-F 1600-0200 with 25% shift allowance - 5 days on; Tues-Sat 0200-1000 with 33% shift allowance - 5 days on. The worst bit was the first day on at 0200, you'd try and sleep beforehand but never really got any and ended up feeling really tired by 0600. Later on I took the 0600-1600 shift - 5 days on. I would have preferred not to work shifts or, failing that, to work 4 on with 3 off.

Tooth (pre-molar) out Friday now feeling fine, but need a filling this Friday. Dental work was suspended during chemo, hence the need for more work now.

Seeing Polly's pics of Kew reminded me the Edinburgh Botanical Gardens that we visited last week. Birdsong, blossom, flowers; magical. Followed by frangipane and americano outdoors.

Have a good week

Mal

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Quick drop in today.

... we are preparing to cast off for Southampton to join 'Britannia' for our jaunt up to Norway.

Apparently the whole trip is designed to get granddaughter Eira, a genuine Troll.

And there was me thinking it was a holiday!

Besides, I can do a pretty good imitation of a Troll.

'Fol de rol, I'm a Troll: Who's that trip trapping over my bridge?'

If we do the Norway cruise in the next few years I suspect we will be looking for Trolls for the tiny nieces. When we were in Avignon, Aditi told me to behave myself in the Papal Palace gift shop. Looking for cuddly Pope toys wasn't very grown up apparently.

I am quite interested to know what is formal dress for a Hippo on board Britannia. Have a great time!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12

Have a good time Hippo Trying (and failing) to think of a suitable punch line

And cant even put the bracket in the right place (why dont I see this before hitting post!

Edited by laurenceb

• RMweb Gold

Trolls on an internet forum is NOT funny  :rolleyes:

:D

When my son was little I used to sing the Troll song. That was until he said to stop as it wasn't funny. I think he may have been a bit phobic about Trolls, he certainly was about clowns. Another example of my poor parenting skills. Though he does still talk to me so I can't have been that bad!

• RMweb Gold

I have made myself useful today. Taking the non functioning solar powered garden lamps apart and reassembling them to be functional again. Also collecting a urine sample pot for Robbie. I predict fun tomorrow morning trying to collect a sample now that he thinks it is a game. Spaniels are not collies who would probably do the analysis too.

I have had to monitor Robbie's water intake. This has meant walks on a lead and keeping the bird bath empty. He did dive into a ditch at he weekend but I got him out before he managed to drink.

His fluid intake is at the high end of "normal" but isn't excessive. It has been warm too, and he doesn't seem ill so I hope the vet will just say something like let her know if he starts drinking more.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Morning from Long Island.

Managed to escape the visit to MiL yesterday afternoon, as it turned out SiL was doing the honours.

Plane late (as per bloody usual into JFK - grrr), so only managed to hobble into the hotel around 10:45PM.

At least I managed to get a really nice car (they're always "nice"), but time I arrive there's little choice left. A dark blue Chrysler 300, with "absolutely EVERY option". Of course I only ever manage about 30+ miles all week, but it's still nice to have...

Here starts the first of a four day report of absolutely nothing from the dungeon. Work, work, deal with cockwomble Project Manager (if he decides to show up this week!!), work, work, etc.

12 and sunny driving in, expecting 21 for a high - of course it's always the same in the dungeon!

• RMweb Premium

When my son was little I used to sing the Troll song. That was until he said to stop as it wasn't funny. I think he may have been a bit phobic about Trolls, he certainly was about clowns. Another example of my poor parenting skills. Though he does still talk to me so I can't have been that bad!

How did you remember all the lyrics? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YniMS-KI9is

If you did the actions as well I'm not surprised he didn't like it. I must play it for Martyn later; he likes mad stuff, like Nyan Cat. I'm not posting a link to that. If you find it and like it(!) there's a 10 hour version.

A quiet weekend was had. I strimmed the back grass. By the time I'd done my back muscles were in no fit state to rake up the results. Anyway it's easier when it's dried a bit; you can distinguish between the cut stuff and what's still growing/been missed.

Have a good Monday/

Pete

• RMweb Gold

How did you remember all the lyrics? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YniMS-KI9is

If you did the actions as well I'm not surprised he didn't like it. I must play it for Martyn later; he likes mad stuff, like Nyan Cat. I'm not posting a link to that. If you find it and like it(!) there's a 10 hour version.

A quiet weekend was had. I strimmed the back grass. By the time I'd done my back muscles were in no fit state to rake up the results. Anyway it's easier when it's dried a bit; you can distinguish between the cut stuff and what's still growing/been missed.

Have a good Monday/

Pete

No, I just did the I'm a Troll Fol de rol from the Billy Goats Gruff.
  • Like 5

Hi All, I've had a call from Jock's Wife Joanna, and Jocks's Funeral is on Friday 3rd June at 12.30, I hope to be able to attend.

She is sending the Obituary today and when I have it I will post it up in the relevant thread.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If we do the Norway cruise in the next few years I suspect we will be looking for Trolls for the tiny nieces. When we were in Avignon, Aditi told me to behave myself in the Papal Palace gift shop. Looking for cuddly Pope toys wasn't very grown up apparently.

I am quite interested to know what is formal dress for a Hippo on board Britannia. Have a great time!

The stuffed Hippo that my middle child still has (in his 30's) looked very fetching in a small red tutu.  

Jamie

Guitar shop : check

Other Emporium : check

Bus home : er nope ...

Crown for pint of Old Boot : check

Bus home: check

Kn@ckered: check

Turns out bus had broken down. The best laid plans of mice and men etc. Happily bumped into an old schoolfriend in the pub, had half an hour to catch up on the 20 years or so since we last met. The management had actually started to notice I wasn't here!

And so as Mr Pepys might had said "and so to siesta" ...

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning from Long Island.

Managed to escape the visit to MiL yesterday afternoon, as it turned out SiL was doing the honours.

Plane late (as per bloody usual into JFK - grrr), so only managed to hobble into the hotel around 10:45PM.

At least I managed to get a really nice car (they're always "nice"), but time I arrive there's little choice left. A dark blue Chrysler 300, with "absolutely EVERY option". Of course I only ever manage about 30+ miles all week, but it's still nice to have...

Here starts the first of a four day report of absolutely nothing from the dungeon. Work, work, deal with cockwomble Project Manager (if he decides to show up this week!!), work, work, etc.

12 and sunny driving in, expecting 21 for a high - of course it's always the same in the dungeon!

We once had a 300 for a day. My other half really likes them but that day she was feeling unwell so didn't want ot drive!!

Chrysler have now stopped selling cars in the UK so no more Voyagers. Ours is 11 years old but still going well (fingers crossed touch wood and all that) but not too sure on a replacement. Possibly a VW transporter.

The Ford Mustang UK spec. is nice but at £32k and no room for layouts I need ot win big on the lottery to justify it as the next car will have to be a layout mover.

• Like 3

Morning all,

Running a little late due to extended conversation with the far west regarding a certain model, plus all sorts of other updates and some nice salacious gossip about the world of model railways.

Big warning to Chris(F) and any other upcoming visitors to Bracknell - the town centre is being rebuilt.  Alas the word begins with an 'r' rather than a 'd' as i'm sure it would be much nicer to return to the unassming Berkshire country town it once was rather than build even bigger 'shopping centres' that attract cars like bees round a honey pot.  Oh and a warning to those approaching from the M3/A30 - the junction for Coral Isand 'leisure centre' has changed from a roundabout to a multiple traffic light arrangement with lots of extra lanes.

Crikey - what a day - having to talk about Bracknell in public.

Have a good day one & all.

Ah yes Bracknell, a town deemed so bleak and anonyamous that director Sydney Lumet chose it for the location for 'The Offence' in 1972, where old school copper Sean Connery has a mental breakdown while searching for a child killer. Not exactly what you'd call a nice film at all really, but the new dawn of concrete bypass infested Britain is there to see in all its grim loveliness. Two years earlier 'Villain' had been filmed there, another period classic though not nearly as grim.

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Premium

Hi All, I've had a call from Jock's Wife Joanna, and Jocks's Funeral is on Friday 3rd June at 12.30, I hope to be able to attend.

She is sending the Obituary today and when I have it I will post it up in the relevant thread.

Thanks for that Andrew - can you please post a link from this thread to the relevant thread so that I can find it quickly - thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Sunny again, but the wind has got up a bit here. 

Caught up, posts rated, generic greetings sent to thost ailing or celebrating.

Not a lot to report here today.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 10