The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all - sunny and cloudy here.

Gabe was having a packed lunch on Monday in the sunshine in Princes Street Gardens, just taken a bite from her sarnie - and you guessed - a gull swooped down and snatched it from her hand! She said that it was like a small child tugging on her arm and was in shock for around 30 seconds not believing what had just happened. She had her packed lunch yesterday sitting in a bus shelter on Princes Street!

Hope your lunches are safe today

Mal

Good morning all.

A helpful young man from the sub-continent  phoned yesterday to offer assistance with my recent accident. After I had told him that I had been drinking, had six people in the car and that no, it was entirely my fault that I drove into the back of the other car he became somewhat short and suggested that I was driving a Rolls Royce or a Lamborghini.  I tried to tell him we were out in my Model T, but he had gone.

Off to see the podiatrist in a minute, then on to cardiac rehab. TTFN

Ed

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning once again.

I arrived in Grasmere just before 10, I had an uneventful journey with very few cockwombles around, which I find very disturbing as that means I'll probably meet them all on the way home!

The weather is warm (18C) and cloudy, but the sun is making a valiant effort to break through, I do hope its successful.

Off for a quick walk around town before leaving for Windermere.

Back later.

• Like 15

Good Morning all, 

Traffic was much better this morning, at work in grey Chessington before 8.

Our son slept very well last night, in fact he didn't wake me up this morning! Asleep at 8ish and only woke at 07:45 according to my wife!

I hope you are all having a good day so far. My thoughts with people suffering and having to commute using various useless public transport providers. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Weather forecast says 'low cloud' - in fact it got so low that it was making everything rather wet; seems to be rising now.

Neil to note that Woodcote Rally is on  9/10 July (alas I'll miss it as we should be at sea then).

As for compasses for walkers in rough country they first of all need to know how to use them and second they are often not much use without a decent map - all too easy to 'navigate' yourself into real trouble unless you know what you're doing when it comes to taking bearings and actually following them on the ground (especially if you don't understand magnetic variation on OS maps when you're in a tight situation).

Have a good day everybody

• Like 10

Morning all,

Not raining here but the humidity seems to be in droplet form. 

NHN, have a good trip. If you're passing through 'ampshire let me know. 

Boiler replacement continues and at present power flushing is underway. 

This involved moving the washing machine, revealing an alcove that was less than sanitary. 

Suffice to say I've now earned a trip to the pub. 

Bumped in to an acquaintance yesterday who is about to release a new movie, Ab Fab - The Movie. The traditional red carpet will be a slightly more glitzy colour apparently.

He's asked that all your wives go with their galfriends and to see it, possibly making an evening of it with a few drinkies first. Don't worry, there is something in it for the lads. If it makes money he's going to finish making a film dedicated to the Spitfire in time for the 100th anniversary next year.  

Working on yet another application today. 

Greetings, felicitations and commiserations to one and all. Have a nice day. Andy

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Well I've been and gone and done it.   :yes: Those nice people in Cornwall made an offer I couldn't refuse (sorry Neil) and it has already been dispatched. Some here will probably like the fact that it's a western steamy thing   :locomotive: but I also know there are some who will not like the colour.  :onthequiet:    

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 13

Bumped in to an acquaintance yesterday who is about to release a new movie, Ab Fab - The Movie. The traditional red carpet will be a slightly more glitzy colour apparently.

He's asked that all your wives go with their galfriends and to see it, possibly making an evening of it with a few drinkies first. Don't worry, there is something in it for the lads. If it makes money he's going to finish making a film dedicated to the Spitfire in time for the 100th anniversary next year.  

The women have been through some tough times recently.

Good luck to your friend for the film.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Absolute no no.

Mist + waterfall = MRT deployed for recovery operation.

I was really thinking of following a path downstream and one should hear a waterfall even if it is in mist. I wouldn't suggest going further up either. The problem is the sort of people who get lost in the mist are probably the ones who cannot read the lie of the land. Trying to sit it out may be no use either as they probably haven't told anyone where they are going. I would suggest that the more walked route headed downwards is probably your best bet. Not always though when Marion sprained her ankle between Wrynose and Hard Knot aI decided to head towards Ravenglass rather than Duddon Bridge which turned out to be the right decision as we caught a train on the Ratty. That must have been 45 years ago I am not sure if I have been forgiven for making her hurry when I heard the train whistle.

Don

• Like 14

HUMP day already - things shape up different when I travel out here on Monday instead of Sunday...

No sign/sight of ANYONE in the dungeon yesterday until 4:45, then three different factions arrived needing help/providing input/adding to the work load. They all provided the necessary details then buggered off, leaving me to ponder why they had waited all day and then come down here on their way out the door <sigh> "there's nowt so queer as folk"  :jester:

That's "IT" then...

20 and sunny with the humidity rising as I drove in this morning, expected to reach 30 later.

Hope everyone can move over the HUMP as required without undue interactions with cockwombles.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, firstly best wishes to those who are ailing or having issues at the moment.

Nearby model shop has a sale on ie

25% off Hornby, Bachmann & Farish wagons, coaches & buildings

30% off Oxford vehicles and locos reduced in price.

Only for in store purchases not via the net, therefore a visit is scheduled for tomorrow!

Will have to keep this visit quiet!

• Like 14

Builders have been and gone and all work completed except one bit. We have damp in one room, and they thought it might be a failed wall tie, but it wasn't, and we cannot currently identify where the damp is coming from. The builder has made a small hole In the thermalite inner block and it was pretty damp inside, so has left the hole open in an attempt to dry it out. Copious readings taken with a moisture meter and I think that I will buy one as I can also use it for checking how dry my wood is for the wood-burner.

Nice sunny day here, but breezy. Mrs G is out for a walk with a friend, and I might go out later when she is back.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon, firstly best wishes to those who are ailing or having issues at the moment.

Nearby model shop has a sale on ie

25% off Hornby, Bachmann & Farish wagons, coaches & buildings

30% off Oxford vehicles and locos reduced in price.

Only for in store purchases not via the net, therefore a visit is scheduled for tomorrow!

Will have to keep this visit quiet!

Said shop has already been mentioned in the bargain hunters thread.............................

For those that don't know, it's near the birthplace of the prototype Deltic......

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Mum had loads of roofers and builders try to sort out a damp patch on a chimney breast. I sorted it out by clearing the downpipes which were full of rubble following a bargain roof repair.

• Like 5

Here's an outsider/insider take on the referendum campaign:

It's from a US show which takes a satirical look at current affairs, usually US. However, as you will hear if you view it, the presenter is from Birmingham, and sometimes deals with UK subjects.

While he obviously supports 'Remain', I think it's a pretty funny take on things.

Warning - while the words are 'bleeped', there is obviously quite a bit of swearing.

• Like 7

That's "IT" then...

20 and sunny with the humidity rising as I drove in this morning, expected to reach 30 later.

It’s 84f with only 35% humidity where I am  - about 50 miles away.... It’s probably the “Island” effect.

Edit: Humidity has gone down since I write the above 7 minutes ago, now just 33% Temperature remains the same.

Edit: Still 84f yet humidity now down to 24% - which is very dry indeed.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone.

The sun successfully managed to breakthrough the clouds before lunch and it turned into a glorious day. I was able to have a walk in bothe Grasmere and Windermere. All work completed and I was heading home just before 3pm, result! The weather went a bit dark during my journey home and there was a spot of rain too, but once home the sun came out again.

Not sure what's planned for this evening, there was talk of popping to the Trafford Centre, but that may be postponed until Friday evening as we'll be out anyway returning the grandchildren. It makes perfect sense to me, so I'm not complaining if it does.

Back later.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Builders have been and gone and all work completed except one bit. We have damp in one room, and they thought it might be a failed wall tie, but it wasn't, and we cannot currently identify where the damp is coming from. The builder has made a small hole In the thermalite inner block and it was pretty damp inside, so has left the hole open in an attempt to dry it out. Copious readings taken with a moisture meter and I think that I will buy one as I can also use it for checking how dry my wood is for the wood-burner.

Nice sunny day here, but breezy. Mrs G is out for a walk with a friend, and I might go out later when she is back.

Interesting Simon. It could be something to do with Gutters/Downpipe as per Tony but I would have expected the builders to have checked that. If it is an old place the roofing felt (if very old there may be no roofing felt) may be perished in places. If there is a slipped tile/slate or one not seating well and rain is getting through to the felt it could be running down and through a perished bit down the cavity.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Here's an outsider/insider take on the referendum campaign:

https://youtu.be/iAgKHSNqxa8

It's from a US show which takes a satirical look at current affairs, usually US. However, as you will hear if you view it, the presenter is from Birmingham, and sometimes deals with UK subjects.

While he obviously supports 'Remain', I think it's a pretty funny take on things.

Warning - while the words are 'bleeped', there is obviously quite a bit of swearing.

Deb used to watch Jon Stewart's The Daily Show, in the days when it was broadcast daily as far as we were concerned, so the chap is familiar.

Sherry and I perceive that educated and informed folk are by and large for staying. Whether there are enough of them may be the problem.

Afternoon all,

Am I the only one that reached for a psychrometric chart after Pete's last post?

Type "Yes" for Andy is a sad individual*.

Type "No"  because you just looked up what one of those charts is. 

* donates $3 to my retirement fund. :)

Well, the old boiler is lying, spent, on the lawn. The new one is a sleek little number which heats up quickly when turned on and doesn't leak embarrassingly.

Got to dash as the youngest is setting up a workbench and wielding a saw..... 

• Like 4

Deb used to watch Jon Stewart's The Daily Show, in the days when it was broadcast daily as far as we were concerned, so the chap is familiar.

Sherry and I perceive that educated and informed folk are by and large for staying. Whether there are enough of them may be the problem.

Sorry Ian, but I consider myself to be both well informed and well educated, in fact I've watched as many TV debates as I can fit in, and will be up all tomorrow night /Friday morning watching and waiting for the results.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

We don't get to vote!

Mike, we're not able to take the show in this year, due to other arrangements for that weekend.  Donk is upset, he wanted to see his favourite Doctor. Adequate recompense may be expensive.

Andy, thanks for the offer for a meet, but not likely to be in 'ampshire this time.  We do visit though, as Debs has a friend from schooldays in Guernsey that lives in Fareham.

GDB - no problem, it's a competitive market!  Kernow have some deals we can't match, as they are a bigger concern and have more buying power.  We can co-exist quite happily!

A nice day on FR again, mostly sunny but again a fair breeze later in the day.  A smooth crossing tomorrow evening would be nice, makes it easier to get to sleep once we whizz off to our secret hidey-place a few miles from Heysham. Then off to Wallingford, for the first few days, meeting the aged uncle and cockwomble aunt.  He's fine, we find her hard work.  Debs nephew is OK though, he's an MA in automotive design and a complete petrol head, so we get on well.

Off to count the socks and things......

• Like 18