Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Matthew was pursued round Cork last year by a group of missionaries, they seemed to be mixed teams of Americans and Australians. Matthew felt a bit sorry for them as a posting to a city where it isn't sinful to consume alcohol or caffeine must have been hard going.

Tony

I'll bear that in mind: Cork - not the best place for a missionary position. 

Hat, coat, ....

You read right Ian   :imsohappy: , they have a palace in Bracknell which is fairly local so you get them at the door regular I tells them I'm a Joe Hovis Witness and they soon buqqer off. :boast:

edit smilley went awol

I have a sign at the front door that reads:

"No Soliciting! Proselytizers Will Be Violated."

• Like 2

Timing is everything...

The E-Type I had in the mid 70's I sold for around $3,500, a fair/good price at the time.

It was a '63 4.2 litre, and if I had it today $$$$$$$$.... suffice to say per NHN's comment, that was when I was single also :O  :jester:

Enjoy your day.

When I was 18 (1969) I was so proud to drive around in a Volvo P1800 - the original with the egg-box style grill a la Saint (as opposed to the “punched out” grill that came later). I drove it until the floor fell out - which actually was not a good deal later,  about 1974 and sold it for $400.00. Very popular in the ‘States again now.

We’re getting 6 - 12inches of snow tomorrow but it (the Nor’easter) is said to be not as powerful as last weeks which dropped about 2 inches. Parts of Lower UpState New York still do not have power back (about 50k customers), which is a scandal.

Still it will soon all disappear  as it is going to be in the high 40s f for the next week.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 13

When I was 18 (1969) I was so proud to drive around in a Volvo P1800 - the original with the egg-box style grill a la Saint (as opposed to the “punched out” grill that came later). I drove it until the floor fell out - which actually was not a good deal later,  about 1974 and sold it for $400.00. Very popular in the ‘States again now....

I think a P1800 holds the mileage record

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just watching a couple of other threads - looks like one of our honourable four legged loving ERs has a mention in a bit of a spat in the SLW24 thread.

Storm/teacup and all that.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A piece of advice for the unwary - whatever you or your domestic staff do in the kitchen make sure it does not include the Delia smith recipe for stuffed peppers.  Mrs Stationmaster doesn't do too bad a job at all using her own recipe for stuffed peppers - especially considering that it does involve roast meat or nicely done spuds or other delightful grub.  But the Delia Smith recipe is atrocious - bland and very deeply unsatisfying as a meal, and that was what Mrs Stationmaster said about it; my views are not repeatable in polite company.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Another dry, but slightly dull day today, but markedly warmer than last week. This morning my trace heating element kit arrived so hopefully I’ll fit it over the weekend.

Well, once again I’ve spent most of the day undercoating furniture in the attic, all I’ve got to do is give the bookcase feet and 4 of the shelves a second coat, which I’ll do tomorrow and then it’ll all be ready for top coating on Friday.

Goodnight all.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mileage yes, but nothing like the pull of an E-type.

(I'm too old to bother now!)

Is that pull as in torque, or pull as in chick magnet?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

A piece of advice for the unwary - whatever you or your domestic staff do in the kitchen make sure it does not include the Delia smith recipe for stuffed peppers.  Mrs Stationmaster doesn't do too bad a job at all using her own recipe for stuffed peppers - especially considering that it does involve roast meat or nicely done spuds or other delightful grub.  But the Delia Smith recipe is atrocious - bland and very deeply unsatisfying as a meal, and that was what Mrs Stationmaster said about it; my views are not repeatable in polite company.

I am somewhat surprised! I believe the recipe for stuffed peppers used in our house is (at least originally) the Delia Smith recipe, and no-one to whom it has been served has complained (or perhaps they were all too polite!). It did come to us from a friend, it may have been modified on the way,  and it doesn't involve roast meat or potatoes, but I certainly wouldn't call it bland. 

• RMweb Premium

Ian:

there was an article in the New York Times last week (?) comparing Logan and Kennedy airports. Suggested that Logan recovers from storms faster because it has one official in full charge, while Kennedy has outsourced terminal responsibilities to various airlines.

• Like 2

Morning All,

It is a bit misty this morning, but the temperature is up to around 2°C.

Unfortunately, I have a day of documentation ahead of me - Ugh!

A copper on duty in Exeter, is nearer to the Met than a copper on duty in Penzance.

The longest blue light run I ever did was over 140 miles, I wasn't fit for much at the end of it!

That's incredible!

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 16

Good morning one and all

Yesterday was busy, with ironing beng generated, a meeting attended and a fodder run combined with an exploratory mission.  When the time comes to make that paella I know just where to find the chorizo, which I now want to call chorister.  The bus route, so reliable amid the snow last week, was far from punctual yesterday.  It has a history of bad running but things have been better since a more sensible timetable was introduced.  On the way home the driver had extreme difficulty in issuing a ticket, with a sucession of beeps coimg from the ticket machine to no avail. To judge by the shruggish expression on the face of the passenger and the fiver in her clenched fist the process was aborted after fully two minutes at the stop. 

Today I have the report of last night's talk to write.  I expect confidently that inspiration will come once I am replete with porridge.  Once that is done I have some stuff to read ahead of my trip to London tomorrow.  Maybe later I will continue to research the next caption.  So far it has been akin to seeking a needle in a haystack without a magnet.  It is salutary to find that the RCTS was so fixated on the closure programme in 1963/4 that much else went unreported.  A half-decent historian is unwise to rely on just one source but how this one wishes that there were a second.

So once again prostate cancer was all across the media yesterday, as it should be.  In a few days Bill Turnbull will continue to receive treatment but there will be different headlines and subsided awareness of what can be a vicious illness.  I am sure that Bill is in good hands.  I know I am.  Knowing that helps to make it less unbearable.

On that happy note, warm thoughts and best wishes to the ailing, recovering and missing, whoever you are.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit like Norwich City FC?

Nothing would surprise me with my ex MP as part of the management team. A certain Ed ******

No surprise to me unfortunately.  There is no substitute for local knowledge but it doesn't figure in the balance sheet.

Good moaning from a village that is still west of Dean Woods.  The boss has set off to Leeds to help at fat club.  In the meantime I'm preparing to set off on a day out on the trains.  Our mission for today is to ride the new Ordsall Chord in Manchester and try and see some 68's and hopefully an 88.  Lancashire day rangers have been purchased.  We have both had our inoculations for visiting the dark side.    A day out is definitely needed.

Yesterday for the first time there was no more skirmishing reported in the funeral seating wars.  Perhaps they are keeping their powder dry for the main event tomorrow.  I hope not.   

Regards to all.

Jamie

Yesterd

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Raining steadily here and set to continue for a while but it may brighten up this afternoon.

A busy time spent looking at cars yesterday and progress has been made. I may have something to report later today.

Kids were here after school yesterday and on form. Joe in particular was in a good mood as he received many tokens for his birthday. I've asked for a loan towards my possible new purchase.  :yes:  He declined on the basis that he needs it himself.

Today I believe we may have do some shopping as one or two essentials have run out.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here.

An unsatifactory nights sleep, not helped by waking up, while dreaming about waking up, very confusing..

This morning I went out to the Landrover, to find I couldn't see the other end of the garden, it was  a Feavy Hog, which on the journey in changed to Fatchy Pog, by the time I was at Effin clown town, and then it was gone by the time of the NDR.

Sadly I note going round the NDR the amount of thrown away plastic carp, bottles, crisp packets, fast pood packaging, littering the side of the road, and it's not fully open yet..

Today is Cruftsmas Eve, and the First day of Crufts tomorrow, is Pastoral group, to which, Border, Rough, Smooth, Bearded Collies, and Shelties belong, since they were hived off out of Working group. 

I Hope Her Debship has TV  / internet access 20:00 to 21:00 tomorrow Channel 4.

the Airconditioning didn't fall over last night so..

Time to .. go see if I can have the major system yet...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Raining here.

Our bin bags are neatly lined up awaiting collection.

I will be waiting in this morning forma parcel to be delivered, not trains this time, clothing items. Aditi is off to Rochford to attend a lecture.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Tony

• Like 15