The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It's interesting reading postings regarding what's going to happen as we get older and end up having to look after themselves. In a way I'm already prepared for that having always lived on my own apart from the few years when I returned home to the UK to live with Mum. We had five good years together until Mum got Alzheimers and that was goodbye to five years but something that I do not regret doing. I never thought I would have to wash my own Mum's backside but somehow I did.

We buy LTC (Long Term Care) insurance. I believe LTC policies are available in the UK too. It might be sufficient but it might not be enough either. Who's to know? They are "hybrid" policies. In the event that no long term care is required they automatically convert into whole life policies.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner Temple hare,

Very late to bed less than 4.5 hours sleep, woken by raging sore throat. Strepcil sugar free taken.

Reason for lateness, works Christmas dinner, which was good, part of discussions, this cold that's going round, most have already had it.

Also during the meal, discussions on diabeties, I'm third generation (known of) diabetic, you get to 50 and you have a 50-50 chance of getting it. It looks like my youngest sister is the other candidate.

A few discussions on sailing or to be more accurate the club boat launching equipment. 9months ago someone missused it and dropped a boat. They made the mistake of giving the task of finding a solution to a club officer whoes real job is health and safety. All he did was find reasons not to use the lifting equipment again. With the annual change of positions as flag officers move up the chain, the job has gone to someone looking for a solution not a problem.

The real Solution is just a sign reminding people not to uncouple the crane from the car with a boat hooked on. Though how that stops someone who knew that and still did it I don't know. People always find a way to be an idiot..

When we left to go to the event at 18:15, I tried to wash the windscreen and it froze. I had to stop and use some de-icer.

On leaving at 22:30, the car was an ice cube, even though it was well heated after the 3/4 hour journey to get there.

Ben the Border Collie, was overjoyed when we got home, particularly with the meat leftovers we brought with us.

We let him out, I didn't lose him in the dark due to the full ish moon, and due to every paw print being a crunch on the frosty grass.

Sailing later, the forecast is not a lot of wind, that will be better than too much today, as breathing heavily with a sore throat is no fun.

Time to put this down and try for sleep part two...

Good news: Colorado is getting quite a bit of snow.

Bad news: I have to drive there next week and there are a bunch of storms lined up in the Pacific.

I've invested in a set of traction chains for the truck. It's unlikely I'll actually have to use them, but better safe than sorry. To quote and old Robin Williams joke, "Donner? Party of ten."

• Like 4

Morning all. Hope all are well? if not speedy recoveries etc as appropriate.

Another bout of insomnia, although it is in part utter losing track of time doing random stuff really. It'll be nice when the corner of the room is more useable for modelling and jewellery items alike for such nights.

One more day and I'll get jumped on by a very excitable staffie crossed with a grey hound and woken up most likely by a tongue down the earhole whether I want it or not ;) it has the side benefit of meaning my other half has arrived as well, and if he hasn't, then Poppy has been upto some very interesting stunts! (for one running 10 miles and unlocking a door!).

As I'm awake I might as well get some breakfast and actually remember to take my morning medication in the morning (usually the morning dosage is 'whenever I wake up first') for a change and get a hot water bottle for my back.

Nothing much planned for the day though as I need to conserve energy for tomorrow as hopefully some work on tidying up the flat can be accomplished (I might even see carpet!).

• Like 2

Bad news: I have to drive there next week and there are a bunch of storms lined up in the Pacific.

I've invested in a set of traction chains for the truck. It's unlikely I'll actually have to use them, but better safe than sorry. To quote and old Robin Williams joke, "Donner? Party of ten."

My brother emigrated to Canada a year or so back. He got a bit of a shock according to my mum when he first encountered snow out there, and moose (or was it elk I forget?).

• Like 1

Probably both. Elk (here) look a lot like red deer. Moose are the same as European Elk, and they are huge and not scared of anything, including locomotives.

Whichever it was it gave him a bit of a fright apparently (we don't speak, so I get anecdotes via my mum instead).

• Like 1

Whichever it was it gave him a bit of a fright apparently (we don't speak, so I get anecdotes via my mum instead).

Probably a moose. One of them scared the wotsit out of me a couple of years ago. They are usually quite docile but they can be very unpredictable if something upsets them.

Probably a moose. One of them scared the wotsit out of me a couple of years ago. They are usually quite docile but they can be very unpredictable if something upsets them.

There is nothing really to compare it to in the UK, aside from perhaps a horse or something escaped from a zoo I'd imagine.

I did see an episode of Mythbusters where they tested the effects of moose hits, the results were, not too pleasant in most cases, understandably doing a lot of damage. Seemingly the long spindly legs meaning the body was at windshield level for most cars was the big effect, a pick up being deemed likely to be safer as a result iirc.

John, if some of Sandy's tablets are too large, perhaps you could use a pill cutter? (Obviously this won't work for capsules.) Pill cutters have a little levered blade that snaps the pills in half while they are held in place. They are small devices - only a couple of inches in length and purposed designed whereas a kitchen knife is totally inappropriate for this task.

There is some risk that there will be some residual fragments or powder, but you could include this with your dosing honey to make sure the full dose is administrated. It goes without saying that checking with the prescribing oncologist is a good idea before doing this.

Given the severity of the medications would would need to clean it regularly - less so if it is only used for one medication.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Some frost on car windscreens and a bright and sunny but chilly day is forecast.

Sorry to hear of your mishap Rick, sounds nasty and also that you may have a bit of concussion. Take care my friend.

Spent all yesterday afternoon watching 3 rugby matches and enjoyed them all. Won't get a chance to see any today.

Woke up about 4.50 with a very painful hip and couldn't get back to sleep so got up at 5.30 which is a bit early for a Sunday. Actually, according to The Boss, it's not a bit early but ridiculously early. This from the woman who just over a year ago was regularly getting up at 4.00AM to go to work. A cup of tea has done little to placate her.

Been pondering over a couple of sheds and I think I'll go for the heavy duty workshop  type. A bit dearer but it will be worth it in the long run. This won't be happening until the summer after roof and windows are sorted. The next problem I will have  is the existing layout as I didn't build it to come apart. Ooops. The boards will come apart but track will have to be cut in various places.  I think that once that happens I will start again particularly as  I will have more room,which is the main point of the exercise.

Another (highly recommended) roofer visiting at 10.00am to give a quote for repairs etc.

At noon we are expecting kids and grandkids for Sunday lunch. Roast Beef is on the menu and I'm in charge of that and the gravy, The Boss will be doing everything else because she thinks men can't multi-task.

Rubbish, I can cook meat, gravy, drink beer and/or wine and talk all at the same time. :onthequiet:

Just because she's doing all the prep, veg, roast potatoes, Yorkshire puds, making apple crumble and mince pies, custard, cooking two veggie meals (one gluten free) and laying the table she thinks she's something special!  :whistle:

However before anything happens she has offered to cook my breakfast.  I might just ask her if she fancies washing my car if she's got a bit of spare time.  :jester: Then again, I might not.  :threaten:  :girldevil:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 16

It's time for me to turn in but wanted to share / vent / howl at the moon a little. Were Roger Federer's upcoming round of 16 match to be on a little sooner I would be tempted to stay up but I am tired and need to sleep as it is now midnight. Time zones make the afternoon sessions of the Australian Open tennis prime-time television here. I love grand slam tennis and this fortnight is one I always look forward to because I can watch so much more of it than any of the others.. The night sessions are viewable with your morning tea in the UK.

My office had a "Game of Thrones" * moment last week. Several people with whom I have worked for the better part of 20 years were let go on Wednesday. All were in their 50s and had been at the company for around 20 years or so. We established that the highest ranking individual had been working at the company since the Ronald Reagan administration, having started in 1988. There were no 'documented' performance issues and in fact the most senior had been awarded a specific recognition for his work in the last financial year..This was a political stroke much like one I survived almost two years ago.

Interestingly Federal anti-age discrimination regulations require that when employees over a certain age are dismissed, it is required to share with the affected employees the ages of the people in similar positions and the ages of the people impacted. Doubtless the company believes they are not violating the letter of this law. I will withhold my opinions in writing as to whether they are deliberately violating it's intent.

Making this even more awkward, the manager of two of the individuals (and who reported to the senior person fired) was incommunicado on holiday in East Africa when the career assassinations took place. He will have a new boss (with much less management experience than he does) and is effectively demoted. He returns to the office on Monday. On Wednesday he was expected to present a plan for the remainder of the financial year, which we were working on in his absence. The chaos of the last few days will continue.

Should I remain employed by the end of August I will have completed 25 years with this company, representing more than half of my life and about 75% of my working career. I doubt very much that my services will still be required around this time next year. Some of you may remember me being told I was fired but not ultimately terminated almost two years ago. The individual responsible for my still being here was the senior manager let go on Wednesday.

* For the record I am not a "Game of Thrones" fan boy. My brother gave me the books as a birthday present and I dutifully read them. My son was into watching the show so I watched it to keep up with the conversation. I don't expect many ERs will be big fans and that many would consider it vulgar or prurient but nevertheless I will persevere with this 'pop culture' moment. With its palace intrigues and mayhem, representing the most repellent of human behaviours (worse then most humans get up to, even those in government), it is sometimes strikingly allegorical for what goes on in the corporate workplace.

EDIT: Bah! As I clicked to post, Roger was warming up. I shall have to turn it off and get some rest. (Maybe I'll watch a couple of games?) ;)

Lots of drama in the first game with called serve time violations but Roger did not capitalize on an opportunity to break Tsitsipas' serve. I must turn it off.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Drive safely Andy. Air travel in the east is a mess today so I'm not sure that would have worked for you anyway.

John, if some of Sandy's tablets are too large, perhaps you could use a pill cutter? (Obviously this won't work for capsules.) Pill cutters have a little levered blade that snaps the pills in half while they are held in place. They are small devices - only a couple of inches in length and purposed designed whereas a kitchen knife is totally inappropriate for this task.

It's not the size - it's the powdery nature which makes them stick. Also if we cut them they's have sharp edges. We have a solution with coating them with honey, which seems to encapsulate the powder for long enough.

The oncologist said that they've been onto the manufacturers for years to get them film coated as many people have the problem, but to no avail.

Edited by Coombe Barton

Morning all

An early start this morning with both girls deciding they wanted to get up at about 6.15...

Sal took Hannah into bed and I came downstairs to doze on the sofa whilst Leah read her book. Woke properly freezing, so the heating has gone on!

Sunday is food shopping day here, so we have the joys of Tesco to look forward to shortly.

Hope all have a successful Sunday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A Scotsman visited Canada on holiday and enquired about the local wildlife.

Upon being introduced to the beast his reply was along the lines of “If that’s a moose hoo big are ye rats?!?!?!”

Morning all. Committee duties require my attention. But not before the frying pan, toaster and kettle have performed their wizardry.

Back dreckly.

• Like 14

Mooring Awl, inner Temple hare,

On leaving at 22:30, the car was an ice cube, even though it was well heated after the 3/4 hour journey to get there.

Ben the Border Collie, was overjoyed when we got home, particularly with the meat leftovers we brought with us.

We let him out, I didn't lose him in the dark due to the full ish moon, and due to every paw print being a crunch on the frosty grass.

Time to put this down and try for sleep part two...

Apparently if you were supervising Ben between 0330 and 0530 this morning, and had clear skies, you'd have seen a blood moon eclipse - which won't happen again till 2029 - needless to say I was tucked up in my nice, warm bed

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

A bright and frosty start for those who started a while back - others of us remained under a nice warm duvet having consumed muggatea No.1 but the lad is quite welcome to whatever railway maintenance he will be involved in today.  The other little railway (Spinney), where he spent yesterday making track, are now after me as they are short of Signalmen.  Clearly they haven't heard about my performance at St Evenage (or maybe they have as I am invited back to Grantham at some future date).   Meanwhile the cough and cold sort of continues although somewhat calmer - no doubt shaking it off is an age thing as Mrs Stationmaster is still knocked out by it some three weeks in although I'm not quite as sleepy as her with its effects.   I definitely need to be more alert by the weekend as Pontcanna Scout Hut beckons on Saturday, as various other ERs will be well aware.

A Tesco visit is planned for this morning for ' a bit of shopping', whatever that might mean in terms of percentage occupancy of a trolley.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Up early again watch telly for a while and went back to bed awake again at 8am to the noise of an elephant stomping down the stairs I don't relish what the day will bring 

she has the HUMP over the toothpaste not being put back in it's rightful place I didn't help matters by laughing.

Today will be more of the same Ronnie playing Judd Trump it should be a good match.

I better get on and go into stelth mode  :sadclear:  to try avoiding her for the rest of the day      Indy Chitt  :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Very frosty when I looked out this morning, warming up a bit now what with the clear blue skies. I found this on t'net last night, I've posted it on its own thread as well. http://www.obscurehub.com/english-place-name-generator/ Handy if your stuck for a name for your layout. Muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Bit of a rush about yesterday, a friend's wife has had a stroke so whizzing abut to see her in hospital, doing OK thankfully.

Right chilly again too, so ended up with a carry-out curry to improve matters!

A cold 3c start today too, mizzly damp weather that plays havoc with hips and foot.  Need to get moving so mat venture down to the garage, jobs on the bikes are stacking up due to my inaction, and I can't get near the layout until they are cleared. Enthusiasm to do so is at a low it has to be said, I need a motivator. Or a recharge, or something like that.

Someone mentioned birching here the other day, no we can't do that any more, the EU stopped in the early 70's IIRC.  Apparently it was quite a successful deterrent, but not really acceptable in this day and age.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I am ready to depart for a trip overseas (well at least over salty water ). We are taking another friend with us. She said she spends a lot of time driving other people about and it will be nice to be driven today.

As,regards old age housing and our health. We have tried to make the house as efficient and low maintenance as possible. We never wanted to be a burden in our old age for Matthew. When we bought this house I mentioned that the stairs were perfect,for a stairlift and was told I was being negative but I had seen how awkward they had been for various older relatives houses. MiL is 90 and lives by herself , though Aditi's sister lives round the corner. MiL is fortunate that she can afford whatever she needs for care.

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s a dry start to the day, yesterday started dry but we ended up with rain for most of the day. Muggertea No2 has just been consumed so I’m off to the workshop.

Back later

• Like 9