Beach Boys, "Good Vibrations"

Billy Joel, "Uptown Girl"

Survivor, "Eye of the Tiger"

The Monkees, "I'm a Believer"

Cyndi Lauper, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

Bon Jovi, "Livin' on a Prayer"

Gloria Gaynor, "I Will Survive"

Katrina & the Waves, "Walking on Sunshine"

Please spare me from ever having to hear “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” ever again. 

Back in the 1980s I was house-sharing with mostly-female company. Two were in the habit of partying Friday night away until well into Sunday afternoon. They would head up to the West End clubs after what these days would be called “pre-drinks” in our local pub. Who knows where or if they slept but they were back among London’s least-dressed partygoers on Saturday night before creeping home hungover and impecunious during Sunday. 

And for hour after hour during their getting-ready routine, week after week, there was only one song to be heard. Long before we had repeat buttons on computerised music players the gramophone was set to repeat play a piece of 7” vinyl ........

Another so-called motivational song was “You Got It” from the Travelling Wilburys. I endured that every Monday at 8am as a warm-up to our weekly pep-talk from the manager. A manager so determined that anything he wanted he got that he went (personally) bankrupt and the business caved into the void. I got the same as everyone else out of that - nothing. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

Q sorry to hear the news.

Just been to our not do local hairdresser in Bognor. His other half is standing in for him after he had an operation to remove a cancerous growth. They think they caught it in time so he's very lucky but very week as he hasn't been able to eat much for some months.

On my way now to meet an ER for a pub crawl in Petersfield.

Bognor this morning and not a GWWorm in sight.

20190216_101023.jpg

20190216_101046.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Q. Sorry about your BiL 

Good morning everyone 

It’s a bit of a dull start to the day, but the sun is trying to show itself. We are due guests here in the next hour or so, bringing cards and gifts etc for Sheila, who is ** today, so no doubt I’ll be back and forth from the kitchen with numerous drinks of tea and coffee for everyone. 

Back later. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Sorry to hear your sad news Q, condolences to your family.

Dave I'm glad the advice worked.  As for 'following' anything on here being a very simple soul when it comes to 'puters plus having a rather catholic taste in various things which interest, amuse, or appeal to me I have always gone the simple route and just click on 'Browse' and then look at what I want to look at wherever it has new content (it show up in bold type).  Can mean a bit (sometimes a lot) of paging down in some areas such as 'Layout Topics' but it is at least simple and I get to come across things I wouldn't see if I just followed a list of my normal activity (which isn't really 'normal' anyway).

Third muggatea is just coming up over the horizon and then it will be a browse around here and hopefully getting a visit from a man about re-felting shed roofs - the arthuritis knee doesn't help such activity on my ownsome and I'm not supposed to climb ladders in case I happen to  fall off them (a medical restriction which I do occasionally ignore if I'm honest).

Have a good day everybody

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Sorry to read about your sad news Q may her god go with her.

Enjoy your Rugby match Robert I wish I was going to get away from Her she was a complete #ow last night when daughter & SiL were here couldn't get a word in edgeways still nothing new there.

A very good Webber friend of mine Phil has been doing some work on 3 sets of Comet coach sides soldering those fiddly little drop lights in place I just could not grasp the work with my dicky hands and you can't use clamps 

they just buqqer the sides putting dinks in them I received them back today he's done an excellent job on them, that 3 coaches nearer completion.

Lots to do today now enjoy yours     G. J. Collett  Swindon coach Works :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Q sorry to hear of your sister's loss.

This walkabout doesn't seem to be reducing my waistline...pah!

Change of plan coming up. Early morning walkabout now changed to be a late afternoon walkabout...good..sleep in..bad.. bar time reduced

Stay safe and especial thoughts with all of our ailing ERs.

Baz

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Judging by the results of a completely random and entirely unplanned test one out of one Red Kites prefer cooked steak leftover from a pasty to leftover cat food (some of which was Whiskas.   Yes, Kev duly landed and, having earlier had some leftover cat food, which he normally likes, carefully picked out the bits of cooked steak leftover from Mrs Stationmaster's lunch time pasty.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The common crane,  feathered variety,  was seen in Norfolk yesterday,. More commonly on our beach we get the Little Tern.  However we've heard an owl calling in our garden over the last few days. 

Also showing themselves in the garden are some crocuses and snowdrops. 

Ben enjoyed the beach however he did get a surprise when he ran across a large  puddle...that was two feet deep. 

After another coffee its eyelid inspection  time... 

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

There is a large group of cranes currently over Battersea Power Station.  They have been there for ages now.

FN-.jpg

Ah, The secret life of cranes - fantastic film!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

A bright sunny to the day in the bottom right-hand corner but all changed as I headed inland towards Tonbridge.

Folkestone West has two trains an hour to London, xx.03 High Speed to St. Pancras and xx.11 to Charing Cross. Just got to the station as the 6-car Javelin arrived and swallowed-up the crowd waiting on the problem some of whom were standing as the train left so hate to think how many people had to stand after the train left Ashford. The Charing Cross train formed of 2 x 4-car Cl.375 arrived devoid of passengers so had a table of four to myself.

Overcrowding on the High Speed is endemic so can only hope that when the new South Eastern franchise is announced the problem is addressed and we get some more High Speed trains. Be interesting to see what happens.

Had an enjoyable day at the Tonbridge Show, certainly seemed to be more younger visitors present with their parents rather than their grandparents. Sometimes, though, all three generations were present. Didn't manage to spot an old git with a flowing beard supported by a red walker but did manage to catch up with some friends I haven't seen for some time.

Keith

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Condolences Q on your sisters loss. Had a good day at the Tonbridge show. But it was heaving with still long queues at just after eleven when we arrived which sometimes made it difficult to view some of the layouts. Expended quite a few modelling tokens, how many I'm not quite sure yet. Speaking of birds arriving for spring as I was leaving home this morning I observed a mini murmation of starlings, mini because there was no more than about a hundred individual birds but as the year progresses I hope to see more.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Winter over?  Well our snowdrops are just about finished, the crocii are out, the daffs are just beginning to flower, and I spent all afternoon working in the garage with the door open.  Almost summer. 

Sorry to hear the news, Q. 

Rebuilt a bike engine with a performance camshaft, not sure it'll make much difference but it was cheap and from a reputable company.  We'll see when I get a chance to ride it.  It runs anyway!  Mrs NHN washed the cars and the campervan, what a keeper.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I have some news for you all ......  cranes .......... the sign of the start of Spring. 

Jamie

Does that mean spring started here today as well, Jamie, when I got the wheels for my crane kit and took it out of the box to have a look at what is required?

Dave

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Does that mean spring started here today as well, Jamie, when I got the wheels for my crane kit and took it out of the box to have a look at what is required?

Dave

I put a bird box up today but I don’t think a crane would fit in it. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Surprise meal out tonight - spur of the moment thingy.  Another and very god surprise was that SWMBO cheerfully walked the 3/4 mile there and back - a distance for which she would normally have taken an Uber until now.  What ever problems she is dealing with, and mobility has been one, she showed few signs tonight of the difficulty with walking which has afflicted her for quite some time.

This place for those playing at home.  Happy to recommend, and the sea bass and duck dishes were very good indeed, but do book a table.  We did so online and were offered with a reasonable selection of times though found the restaurant was fully booked by the time we arrived 90 minutes later.  http://brouge.co.uk  

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Spring might indeed have sprung (but maybe only briefly?) as we saw a bee busily collecting pollen from various plants at the garden centre  yesterday.  There also appears to be a nest under construction in one of the higher trees at the bottom of our garden. maybe the rooks have realised they're on to a good thing in terms of food supplies so will be hanging around?

• Like 16