RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t know if it is an urban myth or not but people have gone to Stratford in East London instead of Stratford on Avon by rail. 

Many moons ago I was working for a major New York bank (now subsumed into JP Morgan Chase) in London who opened a back office operations centre just outside Stratford (ER) station.

The story goes that a number of senior managers in New York decided that they had reason to visit the new operations centre and were somewhat disappointed when they arrived on site only to find it was not the Stratford that they thought it was......

Keith

• Like 5
  • Funny 11

2 hours ago, 81C said:

Put a spring on the gate Like Arkwright's till he will walk into it on the way and catch his goolies that will learn him. :laugh:

He who bashes g00lies on gate learns (hopefully) the lesson. The closed gate TEACHES him said lesson.

Into what has the English language degenerated? One of my colleagues recently asked if I could borrow her a pen; I replied no, but I'll lend you a pen!

You're (sorry, your! ;) ) joking ME; this comprises OF; all get my goat! OH, and what's a hashtag? I've always known it as a sharp or hash!

Sorry folks, rant over!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

He who bashes g00lies on gate learns (hopefully) the lesson. The closed gate TEACHES him said lesson.

Into what has the English language degenerated? One of my colleagues recently asked if I could borrow her a pen; I replied no, but I'll lend you a pen!

You're (sorry, your! ;) ) joking ME; this comprises OF; all get my goat! OH, and what's a hashtag? I've always known it as a sharp or hash!

Sorry folks, rant over!

Calm down dear.  

It's not as bad as this amazing Facebook post a few days ago.FB_IMG_1550612981630.jpg.bc3f84b3c527472a8ba99d44a42e6225.jpg

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tetsudofan said:

not the Stratford that they thought it was......

Though Stratford East (or Stratford E15) does have some attractions. As I recall some of them study at the University of East London (née North East London Polytechnic) and can be found drinking in the Eddy or other local watering holes quite regularly. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Though Stratford East (or Stratford E15) does have some attractions. As I recall some of them study at the University of East London (née North East London Polytechnic) and can be found drinking in the Eddy or other local watering holes quite regularly. 

Aditi’s leaving do from Newham College was in the Eddie. It was an open mic band night. Very lively. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyID said:

Moscow is only 90 miles from here. Fortunately it does not have an airport or a train station   aerodrome or railway station.

I live in Lancashire - but I can get to York [*] in less than two minutes from my house without exceeding the speed limit

Cheers,

Mick

[*] York village

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I used to live at "The other Clapham Junction" when it was still a junction for the line to Low Gill via Ingleton.   I'm not aware of any errant passengers turning up there but if they did they would have found it was a long walk to the village.  Unfortunately it's unstaffed now otherwise Rick could have asked for a transfer.

Jamie

I have heard the other Clapham Junction pronounced as Cla'ham .

(Personally I think they were taking the p***)

Current service level is about 1 train every two hours. 

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyB said:

Flying down to Middle Wallop once there was pause for thought as my colleague was using roads to navigate - and the council had put an extra roundabout in - well he was AAC. :whistle: 

As the old saying goes, "If God had meant the Army to fly he'd have painted the sky brown."

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, TheQ said:

it's been common for people to set a gps for a village name and get the wrong one sometimes hundreds of miles apart, how many Suttons are there?

A few years ago, we were attending Leeds exhibition with the large club layout. 

Two of us set it up when there should have been five there. The three arrived just in time to see us manhandling the last board into place.

When asked why they were late it was because they had been to Wakefield.....

Why Wakefield?

Because that's where the sat nav sent us, was their reply

It turned out that the satnav worked on co-ordinates instead of actual place names because the guy who had bought the car secondhand and didn't want to pay for the memory upgrade to his sat nav. He entered an incorrect co-ordinate. Luckily it wasn't to large an error. To their credit, they had questioned the accuracy as they traversed the M62 and the Leeds signs ran out........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyID said:

Moscow is only 90 miles from here. Fortunately it does not have an airport or a train station   aerodrome or railway station.

When I worked in San Diego my USN colleagues were intrigued by the fact that back in U.K. I was living in Boston and my 25 minute drive to work (at RAF Coningsby) took me through New York.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Hockey report from Sunday night.

2-7 loss to the Whitley Warriors.

The score reflected the way the Hawks played. good for 2 minutes, not good for 7, throughout the game.

Still severely depleted through injury but couldn't take away the clinical attacking and passing of the Warriors.

At least we got to see one of the best goals in many a game, a powerplay slapshot from the blue line by one of ours (Ross Kennedy), that nearly broke the net. If anyone had got in the way of 4" of solid rubber, it would have hurt.

MR club AGM safely negotiated earlier this evening - they've voted me in again as Chairman....... the fools.......

Two text messages from my bank in the last two days warning of fraudulent activity in my card. I rang them up yesterday and again today.

Looks like some low-life has got my card details and both transactions had been automatically declined. 

So someone now has a cancelled 3 mobile phone card and they're staying outside at a Premier Inn.

Full marks to my bank for picking these up so quickly. Downside is having to wait a few days for a new card. The old one was due to expire next month anyway!

Much wheel cleaning is still to be done for this weekend. Cotton buds and IPA of the non-drinkable kind to the rescue.

Have a good HUMP day folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

You don't need a satnav to confuse some people.  Someone asleep not far from me but who must remain nameless (And be obeyed) had to pick our eldest (Then aged 8) up from a party near Barnsley.   She asked me how to get there in those pre prat nav days, and I said, just get off at Junction 36 and follow the signs for High Hoyland.   I went to work and a couple of hours later she set off to pick the eldest up.   It was when she went over a big high bridge over a big river and then saw the Humber Bridge to her right that she realised that the Junction 36 she was looking for was on the M1, not the M62.   Of course this was all my fault.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

“That’ll learn him” may not be a phrase I would use but I have heard it used all my life so it isn’t moderm

Some further irksome phrases in everyday use:

'What was your name?' At the medical surgery, I usually reply that I hope it still will be.

'Did you have a loyalty card?' - No, I didn't, don't have nor ever will have!

'And how did you want to pay?' - well I didn't (don't), but ...

'Would you like to enter your PIN number?' - er no, but I suppose I should else you'll be chasing me down the High Street!

On the subject of PIN numbers, this stems from an acronym for a Personal Identification Number number.

PAT testing stems from an acronym for performing Portable Appliance Test testing.

PCB board stems from an acronym for a Printed Circuit Board board.

There is a term for this type of, for want of a better phrase, misuse of such TLA acronyms (Three Letter Acronym acronyms) which I can not recall.

An exception is the MoT Test - the Ministry of Transport Test!

Ain't our language wonderful? (innit, like!)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

You don't need a satnav to confuse some people.  Someone asleep not far from me but who must remain nameless (And be obeyed) had to pick our eldest (Then aged 8) up from a party near Barnsley.   She asked me how to get there in those pre prat nav days, and I said, just get off at Junction 36 and follow the signs for High Hoyland.   I went to work and a couple of hours later she set off to pick the eldest up.   It was when she went over a big high bridge over a big river and then saw the Humber Bridge to her right that she realised that the Junction 36 she was looking for was on the M1, not the M62.   Of course this was all my fault.

Jamie

Again in pre prat nav days a friend of mine was setting off on a journey with his SWMBO who queried why he had turned left at a particular road junction when she thought they should have turned right. "Because we need to go west," he said. "Well, I think we should be going the other way," she retorted. It was a bright, sunny morning and the sun was directly behind them. "Where does the sun rise?" he asked patiently. "Usually over next door's garden," came the reply.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Attroshus speling agane
  • Like 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I’ve had quite a busy day today, Sainsbury’s Grand Prix was completed this morning and I also made a detour on the way home to pick up some chicken for tomorrow nights curry. Once I’d put all the shopping away, I finished off the cake that I’d left soaking last night, this nicely brought dinner. After dinner I made the curry sauce for tomorrow and I also made a white chocolate, vanilla and black currant cheesecake.

the weather has been quite nice today, until around 9:00 this evening, when it started to chuckinitdarn, it’s still chuckinitdarn now. 

I think the phrase “that’ll learn him” comes from the Simpsons!

Goodnight all 

• Like 14

45 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

Well I’ve had quite a busy day today, Sainsbury’s Grand Prix was completed this morning and I also made a detour on the way home to pick up some chicken for tomorrow nights curry. Once I’d put all the shopping away, I finished off the cake that I’d left soaking last night, this nicely brought dinner. After dinner I made the curry sauce for tomorrow and I also made a white chocolate, vanilla and black currant cheesecake.

the weather has been quite nice today, until around 9:00 this evening, when it started to chuckinitdarn, it’s still chuckinitdarn now. 

I think the phrase “that’ll learn him” comes from the Simpsons!

Goodnight all 

The phrase "that'l learn you " was around when I was a nipper, and that was a long time before the simpson's 

Night awl 

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

39 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

The phrase "that'l learn you " was around when I was a nipper, and that was a long time before the simpson's 

The version I remember is "that'll larn you" but can't remember if that's from the UK or the US :huh:

• Like 5
  • Agree 3