The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the sun shone al day, I even had the windows of the workshop open this afternoon. Anyway the upshot of my time spent in the workshop is a little more progress has been made on the L class. Hopefully by the end of tomorrow I’ll have all the frame extensions finished and fixed to the loco. I’ll then be able to make a start on a new roof, as the one supplied with the kit is a little too thick and doesn’t quite fit properly. Once that’s done, it’s just a question of adding a few small detail bits, mind you, I haven’t made some of the bits yet!

Goodnight all 

• Like 15

7 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.

Scotland

Holiday

Oban

But not raining!

The Maid of the Loch (last paddle steamer built in Britain) is open for visitors at Balloch. It's still under restoration and not sailing yet but you might take a squint if you are passing.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,  

5hours sleep so far will try for more shortly. 

Oban... Hot... Don't believe it... 

Leg very stiff had to lead with one leg each step of the stairs

Visitors not arriving he was still working until 17:00 and will have to go in again today. 

This gives more time for tin garage building today.  The first part of which will be grovelling on the ground  levelling blocks. 

Time to hit the snooze button... 

Oops I did hit the snooze button the above was typed 3hours ago, 

I've been up an hour,  Ben the Border Collie got me up.  We've been on patrol,  lots of dew out there,  more wilted daffs,  Just two bluebells in flower.  Almost all trees in flower. Grass getting long.

Leg very stiff,  ibuprofen to be taken with bacon butty followed by Muggacoffee.  Probably to be followed by another Muggacoffee.  Before venturing to the tin garage... 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Good evening ladies and gents,

My apologies for being largely absent over recent days and for not having back-read the numerous pages since I last visited.  This was supposed to be a warm, sunny Easter with days out taking advantage of the fine weather.  Circumstances have changed that somewhat.

My sister and brother-in-law stayed on Thursday night having been to some event or another in the centre of Town.  We took them to the nearby "Belgian and British Gastropub" trading under the name "Brouge" though better known to locals as The Old Goat and almost outside the Fulwell bus (and erstwhile tram / trolleybus) depot.  SWMBO managed the modest walk there and back though put on a brave show feigning pain-free good health.  In truth she was in significant discomfort and was suffering mild panic attacks.  

Friday morning, being a non-working day, we breakfasted at leisure before our guests departed for a mystery tour of a trip home.  With no trains through Wimbledon and no direct ones between Victoria and the Sussex coast they opted for a route via Richmond, Clapham and Norwood Junctions and East Croydon.  Not what I would have advised but he is an Amex travel agent and there is no arguing with him on some things.  SWMBO sat indoors writing but complained of increasing anxiety though recovered enough to suggest I go out for a while during the afternoon.  This I did and coincidentally met Neighbour (Upstairs) returning from her Easter break with family in Dorset.  

Today SWMBO has deteriorated significantly.  Complaining of hayfever this morning (not unexpected given the weather and time of year) she then went into panic after panic with one thing driving another to the point where she called 111 and was referred to an out-of-hours doctor.  She was advised that "It's only anxiety" (a bit like being told "it's only cancer" to my mind) and to see her own GP on Tuesday with a view to being prescribed suitable medication.  

So instead of an afternoon out in the sun I have had an afternoon in with SWMBO in a dreadful state of panic, refusing food, asking to go back to the doctor and worried that she was about to cease all functions.  We agreed that if she couldn't sleep then we would go to A&E.  Currently she is asleep and seems to be sleeping well.  

The morning might be better.  Or not.  I have had a long chat with my sister who is quite well up on these things and who was pleased to hear SWMBO is already speaking with a counsellor.  It definitely wasn't the night we had intended which was a stroll up to the local and a couple of drinks in as much calm as one can get on a Saturday night.  

Other than that it's been a lovely day.  The blossom is covered in bees and it's beautifully warm.  I hope to be able to enjoy some of the same tomorrow but am not holding any breath.

Happy Easter to one and all.  I'll pop in when I can.

Rick sorry to read all this buddy. When I was getting panic attacks after my Heart Attack my Doctor recommended KALMS, they are herbal and can be bought over the counter at Chemist, NOT I hasten to add 100% calming me down , but enough to help me relax and feel quite normal.

I hope you both get it sorted.

Andy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Sunny again.

I need to have a mugatea, breakfast, ablutions then....

I need to do warming up exercises for the annual egg fling on the beach by the sea wall in Robin Hoods Bay. Potentially 62 egg fingers will be taking part and it is seen by some to be a "must win" situation.

After the fling we walk to Boggle Hole and back, then youngest Herbert has asked us to sort out his computer cricket scoring system as it wouldn't operate correctly yesterday..frabjoy!

Positive thoughts to all who ail or are missing.

Enjoy your day

Baz

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A quick hello and goodbye as I'm off shortly to Canvey. No sign of the dreaded hay fever yet, the car has pollen filters and hopefully it won't be too bad at Canvey as the wind direction is off the water.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sunny and warm out and it should stay like that all day.

Great game of rugby watched yesterday afternoon with Saracens beating Munster and getting through to the European Champions Cup Final where they will meet either Leinster or Toulouse who are playing today. That's my afternoon sorted then. :imsohappy:

A really great time had last night (and this morning) and copious amounts of falling down  water passed my lips. However I didn't fall down although I must admit to a slight wobble on the walk home.  :whistle:  Luckily it was only from the next road. Got to bed about 2.30 and didn't get up until 9.00. It is safe to say that I will not be driving anywhere today.

The Boss is on the move so hopefully some breakfast will be offered shortly.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A quick hello and goodbye as I'm off shortly to Canvey. No sign of the dreaded hay fever yet, the car has pollen filters and hopefully it won't be too bad at Canvey as the wind direction is off the water.

Also Canvey isn’t exactly endowed with trees...

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Morning all,

Kayaking yesterday was a lot of fun, although I'd not realised how much less flexible I am now, compared to when I was a teenager. Getting out of the boat again was somewhat painful. The upside was that it was one of those daddy/son activities that remind you of how great life can be.  

Was up nice and early and re-painted the garage door. With that job out of the way I can start to think about the layout (potentially a eureka moment detected) and a spot of gardening; sweet peas need to go in.  

The downside was that the temperature was probably a bit on the chilly side, so the paint didn't exactly go on smoothly. Hey-ho. 

GDB, Steve's qualification as a celebrant seems to be perfect; glad the occasion went well! 

Warm wishes to all. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, AndyB said:

GDB, Steve's qualification as a celebrant seems to be perfect; glad the occasion went well! 

He was brilliant and many large bulky men seemed to be getting something in their eyes! The girls were as well but that was to be expected.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, AndyB said:

The upside was that it was one of those daddy/son activities that remind you of how great life can be.  

Yes, they are valued moments Andy. Yesterday son visited with his astro-photography gear and helped me set up the telescope I acquired on Monday. My flabber was properly gasted at the skills he has in this field, linking telescopes to Equatorial drives and directing the same, automatically sending finder-scope images to laptops which in turn fire his DSLR camera attached to the primary viewing arrangement, saving the images directly onto his laptop whilst sending copies to his PC at home. Overnight, his PC was instructed to stack multiple images and so around 10 minutes ago I got an image of the Pinwheel Galaxy - very impressive. Naturally as we spent several hours of darkness tracking stars, nebulae and watching / photographing the moon, measured amounts liquid sustenance was taken. A pleasant evening and a good learning experience for me! 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Kingzance said:

Yes, they are valued moments Andy. Yesterday son visited with his astro-photography gear and helped me set up the telescope I acquired on Monday. My flabber was properly gasted at the skills he has in this field, linking telescopes to Equatorial drives and directing the same, automatically sending finder-scope images to laptops which in turn fire his DSLR camera attached to the primary viewing arrangement, saving the images directly onto his laptop whilst sending copies to his PC at home. Overnight, his PC was instructed to stack multiple images and so around 10 minutes ago I got an image of the Pinwheel Galaxy - very impressive. Naturally as we spent several hours of darkness tracking stars, nebulae and watching / photographing the moon, measured amounts liquid sustenance was taken. A pleasant evening and a good learning experience for me! 

Wow. Any chance of sharing that image? Low res I guess?! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Only just got out of bed, we must have needed the rest. I’ve already removed the curtains from the back bedroom window, so that Sheila can give them a wash. Muggertea No2 is just being consumed then it’s off to the workshop for the rest of the day. 

Back later

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Eggs flung..we didn't win but it's the taking part that matters. 54 competitors plus quite a few "watchers"

Walked along the beach to Boggle Hole YHA ...had a cupalatte and then walked back.

Al fresco lunch in the garden before preparing tomato and onion salad for the BBQ tonight.

Baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,  

Finishing laying blocks 2 hours. 

Fit damp proof course between floor frame and blocks 30 minutes

Frame work for sides,  1hour, 

Clad all sides and fit door frame,  4 hours.. 

Knackered I am.. 

Roof tomorrow,

Dinner shortly, 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

The sun has been cracking the flags here since about 8.30 am, and the A6 was duly done.  Got home about 13.00, and have done OK - we didn't unpack the car, as it's a two day event over the bank holiday, so we're doing tomorrow as well.  We've had dinner, and both slept for about an hour and a half.

RIck, sorry to hear about your missus, and hope that she is a bit better soon,  Jamie - keep us posted when you can.  Everybody else, generic greetings.

Back tomorrow.

Regards To All

Stewart

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Happy beerster.

Now taking it easy on halves in York this afternoon as tonight we are meeting up with a fair few friends who are exhibiting at the York show so will be quite we beery evening but we will be far more restrained than many on stag parties and similar groups already enebriated on the train this morning from Darlington . Not seen it quite this bad in York Easter Sunday before but the sunny weather has probably brought more of them out.

Was tempted to visit the show but as we had a show last weekend and one next weekend it's wise to give this a miss to avoid temptation to buy something I don't really need.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13