The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 hours ago, Debs. said:

In the salon this morning, listening to a conversation about somebody's holiday cruise in the Fjords and how they'd heard echoing from the distance whilst out on deck.....of course, me being the way I am, with an over developed sense of fun, noted; that the governing law of acoustics that regulates the echo, is "The law of diminishing returns" :mocking_mini:

I just got a blank look in return......:dontknow:

Did you explain that it was as easy as falling off a log? :)

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 14

11 hours ago, Debs. said:

In the salon this morning, listening to a conversation about somebody's holiday cruise in the Fjords and how they'd heard echoing from the distance whilst out on deck

But not a parrot to be heard?

I read recently of some inmates on a Norwegian Cruise Lines vessel who were definitely pining for the fiords but things did not go too well. Apparently they even tried to dock at the well known, and particularly picturesque, tourist destination known as Greenock, but the request was denied.

"Nope! No riff-raff 'ere. Place is full of tourists as it is. On your bike."

• Funny 16

40 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I read recently of some inmates on a Norwegian Cruise Lines vessel who were definitely pining for the fiords but things did not go too well. Apparently they even tried to dock at the well known, and particularly picturesque, tourist destination known as Greenock, but the request was denied.

Ah, around there they still remember the Vikings! See the result of an earlier attempt to visit the area:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Largs

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

Good morning one and all, with warm thoughts to John and Sandy.  Thank you, John, for your spirited response to my provocative piece.

I wasn't going to go to the Great Electric Train show today but there are some decent layouts and my bus pass will take me almost door to door.  The first bus into town arrives as 'Spoons opens its doors for breakfast.  Then we will see what happens.  The problem I am having with BBC i-player will have to wait.  It will not let me enter a code so that the parental guidance thing is unlocked and I can watch a documentary about the police.  I have tried clearing my cookies as instructed but all that did was wipe out my passwords for everything else.  The online chat that is offered when they feel like it went down as soon as my chat with Conor had begun - most impressive.  When I have made sense of the latest e-mail from the BBC I shall return to the task but I'm not holding my breath.  Some may think it high-handed of the BBC to assume that everyone is a parent.  I was never so lucky.  As I spend too much time watching TV anyway I may give up the whole silly business as a bad job.

I made a batch of lamb casserole with added tinned tomatoes and was pleasantly surprised.  There should be three portions left but we'll see.

Last night's "Have I got news for you" had me chuckling for most of the half-hour with a couple of breaks for guffawing.  The mix of chair Martin Clunes, regular captains Ian Hislop and Paul Merton and guest panellist Layla Moran MP was as near perfect as it gets and I retired to bed with a smile on my face.   I am sorry that I can't recall the name of the other panellist but she wasn't bad either.

Best wishes to all

Chris 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Still dark and raining here. More rain due throughout the day and it could get heavier and thundery. Good Oh.

I'd given up waiting for my parcel of track yesterday when the doorbell rang at 6.00 PM and a smiling man from Parcel Force handed over a large box. Never known them deliver that late before. This means that maybe as soon as tomorrow the soldering iron will get fired up and mayhem will occur in The Shed.

Today I will be invading Aldershot and hope to get inspiration from the show. Heaven knows I need it. At the very least I will meet up with a couple of friends from here.

Later on I will watch a recording of the Ireland v Samoa game that, as far as I know, is going ahead. Sad to see that the Scots are talking about taking legal action over their game if it is cancelled. I thought the rules of the competition were clear enough but apparently they don't think so. In retrospect it does seem that timing the competition to coincide with Typhoon season in Japan was maybe not a brilliant idea but I'm not clever enough to know the reasoning for or against.

More tea needed so farewell for now,

Have a good one if you can,

Bob.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Enjoy the show Bob, I hope it inspires you.

Today is catch up day as I have another busy week ahead. Connittee meeting monday, umpiring Tuesday, london wednesday, Challenger 2 team reunion Thursday..hangover/ return home Friday, Hartlepoolshow Saturday and Sunday..phew..

Have a great day everyone!

Very positive thoughts to all who ail especially Sandy and Debs.

Baz

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Thoughts with Sandy & Debs

Wet wet wet 

Off later to meet up with GDB & SM Mike at Aldershot I wont be buying as I've not decided on the new layout but if something takes my fancy who knows

for sure we will be snapped up the Bacon or sausage rolls lunch time.

Surprise surprise the slapped #rse has taken upon herself to assist in getting involved with the house sale now the contract has been signed noting else to do now but wait for the

purchases of the 2 flats to go through good news with mine the Electrician has written the fuse board off the sellers have agreed a £750 discount for a new one and a safety check .

Better get on enjoy your day despite the weather :superman:Stormy Day :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl, inner Temple Hare, 

3hours + 3hours+ severe cramp+ and hours semi dozing .

The cold is worse,  dry mouth runny nose  headache.. Yuck... 

Ben the "I want out collie" got me up,  he was delighted to be charging around in daylight.  Chasing the scent of the deer I saw in the garden last night. 

He in now esconced in SWMBOs chair. 

It's damp after various downpours last night, overcast and very grey.  In 3/4 hour,  I'll set off to buy a marquee to cover the boat for the winter. Having waded round web sites looking at various marquees available I noticed that most used 38 mm poles,  this locally available one has 50mm poles and a built in ground frame, as well as thick covers,. It does of course cost more.. 

When I get back I'll be working on the trailer for a while,  then I think I'll mow the jungle main areas when SWMBO takes Ben for his long walk. 

Weather permitting,  I'll assemble part of the marquee frames to give guidance on where to move the boat. With that taking place tomorrow.

Time for a Muggacoffee.. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well you could knock me down with a feather, the sun is shining! We’ll shortly be heading off to pick up Ava and Evie and then taking them both to the Trafford Centre so that they can choose what they want for their up coming birthdays and also Christmas, oh the joy of it all. But they are both great to have around though. After dinner we’ll probably end up watching a film of some sort or other, but we’ll leave it up to them what to watch. 

Thoughts with John and Sandy.

Back later. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I am going to Enfield today. Aditi said her Mum had been cooking all my favourite items for lunch.

Aditi still has a week of parent sitting to go and has asked me to bring up some more items. Included are pixie boots and a “black jacket with silver edging”. I asked if she was going on a quest with hobbits.

Tony

• Like 5
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit grey and overcast this morning but still dry atm. ChrisF, I have no difficulty getting into BBC I-player, in fact I intend to watch the HIGNFY that you mentioned. It might help that I will be viewing it on a laptop rather than some other device such as a tablet, just google BBC I-player.

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

John and sandy....speechless...

Not much else I can add to that except best wishes to Debs also.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to mention earlier. I watched bits of Eliud Kipchoge's marathon record attempt this morning where he broke the two hour barrier. This meant that he had to keep an average of 13+ mph for two hours. even when I was young and fit that sort of speed would be a sprint. I caught a glimpse of a coach pacing the group of runners on a bicycle and he was pedalling away like mad just to keep up with the runners.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Still dark and raining here. More rain due throughout the day and it could get heavier and thundery. Good Oh.

I'd given up waiting for my parcel of track yesterday when the doorbell rang at 6.00 PM and a smiling man from Parcel Force handed over a large box. Never known them deliver that late before. This means that maybe as soon as tomorrow the soldering iron will get fired up and mayhem will occur in The Shed.

Today I will be invading Aldershot and hope to get inspiration from the show. Heaven knows I need it. At the very least I will meet up with a couple of friends from here.

Later on I will watch a recording of the Ireland v Samoa game that, as far as I know, is going ahead. Sad to see that the Scots are talking about taking legal action over their game if it is cancelled. I thought the rules of the competition were clear enough but apparently they don't think so. In retrospect it does seem that timing the competition to coincide with Typhoon season in Japan was maybe not a brilliant idea but I'm not clever enough to know the reasoning for or against.

More tea needed so farewell for now,

Have a good one if you can,

Bob.

That someone would consider such legal action when this is going on is shameful

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50020108

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm back,  landrover bearing marquee,  result!!! The marquee is assembled from a kit of boxes of parts,   the manufacturer supplied 1 wrong box,  so the company had to order the missing bits.  So I have to sort through the wrong box for some bits,  and get the others from the new box.. 

What's the result?....  15% off for sorting through the box... 

Heavy drizzle occasionally light rain,  so I'll have to get waterproofed up, to unload,  I guess that means Ben is walking me later.... 

Not so later,  I've just been out with him for his long walk,  then unloaded the landrover,  except for the marquee canvas / pvc.  That's stayed in the landrover till I look out an old metal trunk to store it in until I'm ready to use it. 

Turkey soup has been had,  a quick eye lid inspection beckons before trailer work.. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2