The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Manager rang in to say he would be late as van wouldn’t start, battery flat. Its got an electrical fault but main dealer can’t get replacement part so having to make due. Somehow the battery is discharging slowly and is noticeable when left over weekend. Will have to ring dealer up tomorrow to see what can be done. We’ve got enough on with deliveries as it is without having to worry about whether the van will start, especially as people are self isolating and demand is increasing.

Is he a member of RAC or AA?  Next time it happens get them round - if they prescribe a new battery then buy one off them.  A bit more expensive, but hopefully available and with warranty.

On another note, are Chippies excluded from shop closures?  They sell food, after all....

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, polybear said:

On another note, are Chippies excluded from shop closures?  They sell food, after all....

One headteacher the other day had a discussion with an argumentative parent who insisted that they were an essential worker in the food supply chain.

They worked at McDonalds.

All rather academic now.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

19 minutes ago, polybear said:

Is he a member of RAC or AA?  Next time it happens get them round - if they prescribe a new battery then buy one off them.  A bit more expensive, but hopefully available and with warranty.

Thanks for the the advice but the issue is not the battery, it’s something ‘leaking’ or draining the battery. have be told it’s a relatively common fault but only fixable via a dealer who need to replace a part.  I have one of the pharmacies old vans  as my SUV   (for shifting model railways  about!) so we have that in reserve.

Regarding chippies, I was going to call off at the gluten free chippy on my way home but it’s already closed!

Any way bed,

early start for tomorrow’s onslaught,

Regards Robert

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Well, I went to the big orange shed tomorrow find a queue down the car park,  they were letting limited people in at a time.  So I didn't stay I had other thing to do.

first TES and Co  the only thing I couldn't get was decaff coffee. 

Then more importantly to the doctors,  where I stood in the car park and asked through a window for SWMBOs and my prescriptions, my small bag of pills and SWMBOs huge bag were duly placed on the window sill to pick up when the pharmacy assistant backed off.. 

Saw the first person round here waiting, at the docs for pills,  wearing a mask.. 

I've ordered keel bolts and a few other boat building bits online to keep me going, I'll have to wait and see if the orange shed is "essential" it may be,  as there is always stuff required for emergency repairs.. 

The motor scooter will have to stay off the road for the duration, but luckily the car and landrover aren't due the MOT till later in the year when things may have calmed down.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

...snip... At the door they'd set up a table with disinfectant spray and a roll of cleaning cloth for customers to wipe the handles of their trolleys, good idea.  ...snip...

The three grocery stores here have had that setup for years.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

I know when I was a field service engineer,  I came across people who lived in hotels.  One regular I met was  positively ancient,  a retired company director with no close family . He used to go to st Andrews , for the golf each year and then various other places as he chose.. 

Just what they are supposed to do I don't know.. 

Come to that if I was still doing that job i would have been classed as an essential worker on a contract for the MOD, I wonder what my replacement will do.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I will have to shop tomorrow as I checked the fridge and I only have three more meals left in the fridge. By tomorrow one of them will be out of date anyway.

3 hours ago, brianusa said:

Mike, like you there is a LDS church just up on the main road.  Don't come by very often but when they do they are most polite and I treat them with respect so they don't push their agenda.  Most times its two younger men but what intrigues me is sometimes two girls are out wandering around this rather rural area sometimes in the dark.  They must have faith in their Lord!:unsure:

Brian.

3 hours ago, petethemole said:

That, and armour-plated underwear, I believe.

Don't forget the manacles.>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manacled_Mormon_case

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Sadly my attempt at humour fell foul of the auto censor. ding should be followed by a very similar word in which the second letter is replaced by an o!

Ding D0ng

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12