The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I thought the whole idea of golf was for everybody to end up within 4" of each other.

But not quite at the same time.

I always pull my ball out of the hole before someone else putts their ball in...…...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Morning all;,

Bin day here too but the binmen haven't bin yet - probably overwhelmed with extra recycling (it's that week) from all the parcels folk are receiving.

I must admit to being a bit confused about how social distancing works in golf.  As all the players are aiming to get their balls into the same holes surely there is a risk of cross infection should you feel in the hole to make sure you've achieved your aim and also to extract your ball.  Do you know how many other golfers have put their fingers in that hole - of course you don't.  Could be even worse if you're playing away for home of course as you have even less idea about whose fingers have been in the hole.  Or do golfers wear some sort of protection when they get to the holes?

With that thoiught I wish you all an enjoyable day and please stay safe - especially if putting your fingers in a strange hole

EA time.....

I usually just reach into the hole and extract my ball with a finger and thumb - trying not to touch the sides.. ( I have fairly small hands, so this is easy to do)

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

...snip...  We usually keep them for the neighbours to take to Wales when they visit their family. ...snip... Tony

Why? Don't they get regular newspaper delivery in Wales? :jester:

• Like 5
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,  this week our bin men are changing from Keir to Serco. A company not renown for good pay or service. I expect chaos.. 

This morning,

first, work, which was  going through all 1085 lines of the data file . Most with 6 numbers per line adjusting so each had the correct number of significant digits. I found a couple of very minor discrepancies  in the original cert which will be corrected... That took 2.5 hours.

I got the keel out and started sanding... Disaster, the filler hadn't set in some areas,  it must have been below the minimum setting temperatures.  So I put the keel out in the sun. 

So I've assembled a board,  roughly  4ft by 2ft that will carry another board that slides sideways, that will. Have multiple parallel bits of metal on it. I've just mounted some foam on the main board as the base for the scenic section that will hide all transgressions. 

Then I returned to the keel, it had set by now,  so I sanded that,  before filling the bits I'd damaged being soft. 

Then to the MhRC,  another disaster the extra warmth of the weather had set the varnish too quickly leaving bubbles in the surface.  I've put another thinned coat on it I'll see if it hides the bubbles which I've burst.. 

After that it was back to carving a Celtic cross in 2mm scale. 

And now.. Can see what it is yet? 

IMG_20200408_133051_1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

HMS Polyphemus?

Close, you've got the beak right... 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Ian A, her indoors likes doing jig saw puzzles. Latest offerings

20200408_181156.jpg.b5c430e7f348ff95eda711eb84b415c0.jpg

It didn't take her long.  But the next one was a "reet pain"

20200408_181142.jpg.8a9d0d919aa763497753625f986b2057.jpg

It looked nice when finished though. Now in the "recycle to the next door neighbour" pile.

Baz

• Like 17

19 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Nice, warm environments, such as an unventilated location, incubate and spread viruses!

Viruses don't really incubate. They can only replicate by taking over cells in their "host". But improving the air quality in a home might help our immune systems.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Aditi thought she would send our nieces jigsaw puzzles instead of Easter eggs this year. Then she realised that jigsaw puzzles seemed to be as rare as toilet rolls recently. However she found a 1000 piece Disney princess one on Amazon to send. 
Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BoD said:

Stops the sheep droppings getting all over the bed linen.

Floors. Neighbours granddaughter often bottle raises orphaned lambs. They have dogs and also look after rescue kittens so paper is always appreciated. Also useful for starting the open fires. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I must admit to being a bit confused about how social distancing works in golf.  As all the players are aiming to get their balls into the same holes surely there is a risk of cross infection should you feel in the hole to make sure you've achieved your aim and also to extract your ball.

Modified rules are in place on Portland City golf courses. A collar has been installed around the flag stick, slightly larger than the hole. It counts as a hole out if you hit the collar.

I also found the following modifications for other local courses:

Glendoveer has lifted its cups above the hole, so a successful putt hits the lip and stays on the green. Gresham Golf Course has inserted a foam pad in each of its cups, so the ball can easily be plucked out, and Eagle Crest is asking players to simply hit close to the cup and award 'gimmes'.

From the city parks website:

COVID-19 SAFETY GUIDELINES

For the health of visitors and staff alike, please follow these guidelines at all Portland Parks Golf courses:

1. Keep at least 6 feet away from others at all times.
    • Please maintain 6 feet of social distance - while waiting in line, in the parking lot, at the driving range, and on the golf course. To avoid waiting at golf course, call ahead or get a tee time or reserve a golf cart online.
  2. Golf carts are for single riders only.
    • One person per cart. Any golfer in breach of single rider guidelines will forfeit use of golf cart with no refund.
  3. At the driving range.
    • Follow directions given by staff.
  4. On the golf course
    • Please allow 6 feet of distance from others at all times.
    • Refrain from touching flag sticks.
    • Wash your hands after using the restroom.
  5. Food and beverages are available for takeout only.
    • Limited menu selections available. Ask staff for details. 
    • Per OLCC regulations:
    • No alcohol is available for purchase until further notice.
    • Bringing alcohol onto the property is prohibited.
  6. Merchandise
    • Please do not touch items prior to purchase.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2