The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I believe that both TOPS that is still at thd heRt of most railway systems, and The Poluce National Computer both have a very old language at their core. Apparently  the people that run them have to be sent on courses after they are recruited.  I seem to remember that there us so ething similar in nuclear missile subs.

Jamie

No it isnt in at least one thing you mention Jamie.

Baz

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

(That's more than I guessed it might be.) Still, I wonder how much they have spent in salary and postage sending you so many letters? Unless of course this is all automatic from a computer programme that no one has bothered to set right.

It's only a matter of time before one of the cockwombles there tells me that it is the fault of the computer. They will need to be wearing a hard hat!

• Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Modified rules are in place on Portland City golf courses. A collar has been installed around the flag stick, slightly larger than the hole. It counts as a hole out if you hit the collar.

I forgot that we played that one weekend. Small sections of 3" or so diameter pipe were put in the hole around the flagstick, just deep enough for the ball to drop, but not too far so that retrieving a ball did not involve touching the hole

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Mine was 1984 with the same outcome - then object oriented took over. I actually liked cobol - from memory your code   had an introduction bit and a main body and a conclusion, kind of like writing an essay..

And with a little bit of thought, mildly obscene Cobol was possible. (Though I suppose that's possible with many languages.)

• Like 10
  • Funny 5

Recently I moved my 3D printer into the shed/shop along with the laptop. Theoretically this will allow me to print stuff while doing other things without having to run up and down two flights of stairs.

The snag is the screen on the laptop really isn't suitable for CAD - too small and not enough resolution, so I found a 22" monitor online for about $60. What a difference! And it's far better that the enormous CRT monitor I bought about 20 years ago. IIRC it cost about $800!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not a lot to report Farcebook has been very busy during this coronavirus outbreak. Two groups that I run have doubled membership over the last couple of weeks.

3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

British Gas have excelled themselves today. They have written to the previous occupant here and asked him to contact them about the outstanding balance on his account. How do they expect him to do this: a Ouija board perhaps? 

I have replied on his behalf but no doubt wasting my time. Look forward to meeting again their debt collector who comes up all the way from Newport. I hope he charges them a good hourly rate.

3 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I'd just have returned the letter 'to sender' marked as no longer lives here!

I've had dealings with British gas and I wasn't even one of their customers. I kept getting letters to my address from BG to someone who I'd never heard of which I returned marked 'Not known at this address.' Then I got a letter from my energy supplier saying they're sorry I was transfering to BG which was news to me! It turned out that someone had tried to open an account with BG using my address. My own supplier told me that I would have to contact BG which I did. They were completely unhelpful telling me that I will have to sort out their mess. As it turns out when I mentioned returning their letters marked 'not known' their reply was that they bin them without checking them. That was all of twenty years ago, I see BG has not changed.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyID said:

...snip...  so I found a 22" monitor online for about $60. What a difference!  ...snip...

I bought a 50 inch tv just to use as a laptop monitor. Once in while I might watch a laserdisc with it.

• Like 6
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Our car insurer and several other insurance companies in the US have announced that they will be giving us a refund because of the greatly reduced number of road accidents. Are the UK insurers doing that too?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Actually rather amusing since our HQ offices are in NJ and we've as recently as this week been approached for exactly that - totally scary that they are using that sh!t still of course ;)

Then again, why change it if it works - until the last COBOL programmer expires, of course!! :O

Wow. As an inveterate late-riser (I was an analyst programmer and now hack on linux code and scripts for my own interest) I hesitate to reply to ER comments, but really. For financials, COBOL (at least on IBM mainframes) was the bee's knees (COMP-3 storage - binary coded decimal - so decimal currency could and should add up without rounding errors if all the variables were sized correctly).

For idiot graphical interfaces, COBOL is not the right tool. But for financials it should be more rigorous than putting things through spreadsheets or whatever is the current flavour of the month in business circles.

${DEITY} (Anoia, the goddess of things stuck in drawers, in my case ;-) What is with this "newer, shinier, must be better" attitude ? And how many of these newer languages will still be usable for applications in even 20 years time ?

Stay safe, and  stick to VSAM, IMS/DB or DB2. :rolleyes:

PS - like the 4-COR in your signature, but by your standards should it not be something more modern ?

ĸen

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

It must be Thursday as her indoors is off food shopping (it seems quieter at moreasons on a Thursday morning).

We should be ensconced in our hired cottage in Robin Hoods Bay now... never mind we will be there in 2021. I shall miss a trip to the Magpie for Whitby Fish and Chips though! I just fancy some fresh seafood...pah !

Researching family trees is time consuming. Changes in family name, fathers and sons having the same Christian names do make for some amazing twists and turns.

I think i now need to go and look at Parish Records to go further back than 1749.

Time for my mugatea. Stay healthy and make best use of your time!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a sunny Charente.  I can really empathise with Mick(NB). yesterday after spending the morning and early afternoon digging up Cottoneaster roots, I headed for the shed with aching muscles. A frustrating time trying to get a chassis running smoothly ensued but in the process I dropped 2 small brass bushes.  I spent ages on the floor trying to find them.  No joy but fortunately  I have some spares. However  I did find a cast lamp bracket that I dropped about a year ago.  Bizarre.

Anyway I have a trip out today for essential supplies. First call is the vineyard/distillery  for red falling down water. Sone things are more essential than others. Then the supermarket  and the Post Office.  Meantime Beth is off to the Dr's and the Pharmacy.  Tonight it's our usual fish and chip excursion.

Welcome to the group ken.  

Stay safe everyone. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12