The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Simon G said:

I too have been having fun with BG over the last few weeks.  We used them as electric suppliers to our MRC rooms up to 30 October last year.  I told them we had moved, and have been receiving estimated bills ever since, despite repeated phone calls and emails about our move.  After yesterday’s phone calls, I think they are finally getting the message.  I have since had 16 emails from them telling me to log on to see our final bill, and asking me to pay the outstanding sum - which is actually in credit!

It is the warmest day of year so far here, so I have finally ditched the thin fleece and am gardening in shirtsleeves.  Parsnip seeds have been planted, and leeks planted out.  The latter is very hard work, as you need to make a six inch deep hole for each plant, then all the dry soil falls into the hole, so then you water the area to prevent that, remake the holes, plant out the leeks and finally water in each plant.  I have planted about 60 today, in a square, with the carrots going inside the square next.

I had just dug up some strawberry plants, which were growing in the wrong place, when friends turned up with shopping for us, and also some home made scones and chocolate brownies.  I was able to give them the strawberries as a thank you for the baking.  The scones were eaten at lunchtime and were delicious!

I wonder what would happen if you sent them a cheque for a negative amount.

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl. 

As I had spent too long on work yesterday,  I did a poet,  and went out to the garage,  sadly the glue on the layout  new board hadn't set.  So I set too on the Ivy removal ... 3.5hours later my back and arms said "enough!!" about 2/3rds is done.. 

Arms also said you're not sanding the keel.. 

So off to the MhRC,  which had been ventilating all morning as the split white Spirit evaporated , I called in the platelayers,  that suddenly makes it took so much more finished . After some titivation tomorrow, I'll  call in the fencing contractors.. 

Time to.. Inspect the eyelids.. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

I was moving some rock for a neighbor the other day. The tractor was running low on diesel so he went to get some. The price was $1.47 per gallon (about four liters).

However, he bought "off-road" diesel which avoids a lot of tax. It's the same fuel with red dye in it.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AndyID said:

I was moving some rock for a neighbor the other day. The tractor was running low on diesel so he went to get some. The price was $1.47 per gallon (about four liters).

However, he bought "off-road" diesel which avoids a lot of tax. It's the same fuel with red dye in it.

Just don't get caught on-road with red diesel in the tank.  Checks are carried out here. Not very often and mostly in rural areas but drivers of any vehicle found with red diesel will face a hefty fine, plus duty, unless they can prove entitlement to drive on-road using that fuel.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 15

34 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Just don't get caught on-road with red diesel in the tank.  Checks are carried out here. Not very often and mostly in rural areas but drivers of any vehicle found with red diesel will face a hefty fine, plus duty, unless they can prove entitlement to drive on-road using that fuel.  

No prob here. You can't use it in a vehicle that requires a license but my tractor doesn't. It's classed as an agricultural vehicle and I can even drive it in a public road which I do occasionally.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
Just now, AndyID said:

No prob here. You can't use it in a vehicle that requires a license but my tractor doesn't. It's classed as an agricultural vehicle and I can even drive it in a public road which I do occasionally.

Very similar here.  Agricultural vehicles which travel less than 6 miles per year on a public road may use red diesel.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Great to see you on here Pete sorry about your loss.

Anyway here's a link to wwhat a so called friend sent me on FB today. I thought it quite funny but guess which version I ended up with as an ear worm.

Have a good evening folks.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

While I was waiting outside for clearance to go in, I had a most interesting conversation (at 3m) with a police officer (there to deal with any problems) about the situation as he saw it. Normally there will be at least four police vehicles outside Lister A&E, there for the various miscreants requiring NHS attention. His input: "No pubs and clubs, no sports events, no trouble.".

So this is the answer to all the NHS' problems. Stay at home unless you have sufficient wit to avoid injury or accident. If you must go out to pubs, clubs, sports, then clearly these must be TAXED proportionate to the A&E load they produce. I shall phone Boris the moment he's better.

Then those who are genuinely in need of emergency medical treatment can have it.

Another potential nail in the apparently impending coffin for the withering spoons?

• Like 12

7 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Everything these days is a scripted process. If a customer wants to add fields to a specific form, they have to follow a change management process. Even if the actual change effort is 5 minutes, the process can take weeks and cost £££. Agile my arse. 

I'm a bit surprised by that comment, Andrew, unless the person requesting the change is the owner and sole user of the form, in which case it is overkill.

Having been a 'team leader' for maintenance of a system with hundreds of thousands of lines of code and hundreds of users, I know you have to have a rigorous change control process or it would get out of hand really quickly.

Failures - OK - you have to deal with those at once, but we could and would do those overnight (or less if they were catastrophic). Still went through the same change control process, though.

But 'changes', with dozens of requests for those coming in each month, at times? Record, group (several for the same process?), consult with the person(s) who are going to pay for them to authorise and prioritise those authorised, perform and test, schedule, implement - you really do need a tight process to handle that. I was off for a month one summer, and the person substituting for me did several 'one off' requests from individuals, skipping some of these steps - we were dealing with the fallout from that for weeks!

Now, reporting work to those paying for it is something else. I used to spend far too much time having to tell those people what we had lined up to do for them, and when, then telling them what we were doing and how it was progressing, and finally what we had done for them recently. To do that, I had to talk to all the members of the team, keeping them from doing the actual work.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I have had an idea. There is one state in the great U S of A that has had no Covid deaths, namely Wyoming.  I wonder if I could get a room at the Dsys Unn in Cheyenne overlooking the UP main line. This was the view out from the lobby.

P5200747.JPG.130e60047a9e3bad7e25c3c96e16cc12.JPG

It sounds like a great idea but I'm not sure thar my other half would share this view.

Jamie

She wouldn't be able to see the view, she'd be looking at your back, with a steely glint in her eye, and a dagger in her hand.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Reams and reams of paper has been used up analysing the pros-and-cons and the ins-and-outs of British officialdom, so would I be controversial in claiming that whilst the privatisation of utilities (and so much more) has put their financial structure into the private sphere, staff attitude (and ability???) has remained firmly wedded to their public sector origins (or am I really being too cynical here???)

9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The apocryphal tale of British officaldom is that of the insignificant 3 page memo from our then lords and masters in Brussels which was turned into a gold plated 3 volume, hand crafted  set of rules and regulations written in virgin's blood on vellum. 

The civil service at it's finest!

Can I give a contra-example, please?

I worked for a while in a British civil service unit of about 700 people, part of a larger organisation, but organisationally and geographically pretty separate. We provided service to external customers, both public and private. Our public sector customers, in turn, had mostly individual customers. Quite a few customers were not in the UK. We were actually very proud of the service we provided. All the departments who dealt directly with customers had notes of thanks pinned up around desks, some of the notes quite gushing. One I particularly remember was from Denver, USA saying that the last of their requests to us in a single note had been answered before the first of those sent at the same time to a Denver supplier! 

So, please, don't tar the whole civil service with the same brush.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the supermarket queues today I would guess that panic buying has been replaced by ‘Oh sh!t, the shops are closed for a whole day on Sunday” buying.

Idiots.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, pH said:

So, please, don't tar the whole civil service with the same brush.

In my last military appointment, I worked with civil servants, lots of them.

Some were brilliant* , some were ok, and some were downright terrible.

What was unnerving was seeing the terrible ones being moved on and sometimes being promoted into the bargain.

*  I still keep in touch with a few, and from my chat's and visits hear that little has changed.

• Like 14
  • Agree 4

19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Some were brilliant* , some were ok, and some were downright terrible.

What was unnerving was seeing the terrible ones being moved on and sometimes being promoted into the bargain.

I don't know if it was general policy in the civil service, but in the organisation I worked in, if a person was promoted, they would be moved to another section. The policy was meant to avoid friction in their previous department, where they would then be supervising people who had previously been their peers  - quite sensible, in my opinion. However, you can see the obvious flaw. It was used as a means of getting rid of incompetents - give them a great annual report, recommend them for promotion, gone! I know of someone who was allegedly promoted through 4 civil service grades in this way.

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2