The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Banjoes are specifically fried egg sarnies/butties, so called because of the similarity in looks to the main body of a banjo and a frying egg.

Never eat Shreddies

My favourite banjoe ( I stand corrected) was one made with Walls tinned Sausage , square. Lovely with a small dash of red sauce..

Baz

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

I worked in the food industry from 1980 to 2015, covering dairies, slaughterhouses, processing plants and vegetable packers in addition to brewing, distilling and soft drinks operators. For all the hysteria about Trump’s chlorinated chickens, may I inform you that the UK standard for final rinse water in a dairy bottling plant was a minimum of 0.5ppm of available chlorine, achieved by adding sodium hypochlorite (bleach). The UK’s chicken processors have for years used a 1-2ppm available chlorine solution for general washing of the equipment that carries carcasses and as a spray separating the “dirty” end (slaughtering, de-feathering - a process in itself using sodium hydroxide - and disembowelling) from cutting and packing. Salad and vegetable washers use water treated to contain 1-2ppm of a different “sanitiser”, hydrogen peroxide in the form of peroxyacetic acid. Hydrogen peroxide is of course known to many women as a hair bleach.

Much of the chicken used in fast food outlets or in processed foods is generally produced in the Far East, processed there and shipped over here. That is because it is simply cheaper to do that rather than use raw material produced to British and or EU standards and clearly that was and remains a legal way of doing business. Disinfection in the Far East involves washing everything in sodium hypochlorite although I am unsure about how the levels of free chlorine are either monitored or controlled. It is believed that Covid-19 first appeared in what are called “wet markets” in China, places where anything and everything is regarded as food and hygiene rules we expect simply don’t exist. Where poverty exists, you are unlikely to find a Food Standards Agency or a Health & Safety Executive. We  could of course address this by adopting the wider French way, where you buy the locally produced seasonal raw material in your market or shop and do the processing yourself!

Whilst it is very fashionable to blame Trump for everything wrong in the world today, our food industry is certainly NOT without fault and the numerous uninformed comments on that results in wild hypocrisy which simply isn’t addressing the shortcomings in the UK food chain. Washing carcasses in a mild sanitising solution is not as potentially damaging to our health as chemically curing meats - a process in which those chemicals remain in the final product offered for sale. Even salt, widely used In the food industry, is there as a preservative but comprises in part Chloride, derived from, you’ve guessed it, Chlorine!

but we have data which says the US has more salmonella cases per year per head of population than we do (by about 10 times) so we must be doing something they don't do..

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Oh happy day!  I mentioned the talk of bacon sandwiches on here to The Boss and within minutes I had been presented with one.  She is obviously in a good mood.  Now thinking of what to mention next!  :scratchhead: Something unmentionable perhaps? :whistle:

!

You could find the mood changes very quickly if you are not very careful. Thank her for the bacon sandwich and keep quiet is probably your best bet! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A dull, cool a breezy start to the day, I don't think I'll be leaving the workshop door open today. I've just made a muggertea to take with me so I can stay there until dinner time, when I shall head back for something to eat. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Haven't ventured out yet but the sun is shining and it looks warm.

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Vegetarianism has a long, storied and distinguished history and connects man with land; Veganism, on the other hand, is an artificial construct only made possible by modern technology. Furthermore (and here I am being serious), veganism is NOT environmentally friendly: the various food substitutes (such as almond or soy milk) require very large quantities of both energy and water to produce (I read that 100 litres of water are required to make 1 litre of soy milk), the huge amounts of palm oil needed for vegan products has led to tropical deforestation with the resulting palm oil tree plantations shrinking even further the Orang Utang (and other animal) Habitats, replacing leather with plastic is not exactly carbon-neutral, and so on.

So, if I may be very contentious here, I would like to offer the opinion that vegans are the Jihadi wing of the non-meat eater’s movement: extreme, intolerant, preachy and in pursuit of an unrealistic goal...:o :devil: :jester:

Anyway, enjoy your carnivorous or herbivorous breakfast of choice.

Enjoy Sunday

iD

My take on vegitarianism is that we are omnivores and its perfectly natural to eat both meat and veg. Having said that the type of meat that we eat has changed over time. I was a great fan of Time Team (and other archeology programs). In many when ancient human remains the bones were tested and this revealed the diet of the individual. Quite often fish featured quite strongly with red meat rarely if ever. This was often backed up by the finding in rubbish pits of the food remains of shellfish and other fish remains. Add to that that a piscean diet is healthier even than a vegetarian diet, a vegan diet is actually the unhealthiest. This leads me to conclude that our ancestors diet was fish based rather than red meat. The taste for red meat probably comes from the Neanderthals, 12.5% of us has their genes and 60% of their diet was red meat.

5 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

Once I had stopped doing this a delightful half-hour or so was spent on the phone with 88C putting the world to rights while my digi box was busy recording “Brief Encounter” from BBC2. 

Chris

At first I read 88C as BBC, if that was so I'd love to listen in on that conversation. Talking of the BBC, tonights offering was supposed to be the Eurovision Song Contest which I detest. So as a replacement they are putting on an ersatz version so I'll have to get painting so that I can watch it dry whilst its on. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16
  • Funny 1

Started watching The Vicar of Dibley again.

Forgot how funny this series is.  It's certainly of it's time though.

I wonder if stuff from the 90s hasn't aged well because we have moved on a lot?

Lost still looks like it could be set today and that was mid 2000s (so admittedly a bit newer).

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Unable to visit the barbers, I have decided to try one of the finest known American hair styles:

image.png.4c9c1fb7c5741e1d2dab72d2b095f33c.png

Just need the pickup, and a hound (I got the guns) y'all.

Which roughly translated into Strine give you this where the text is as accurate as the image:

http://www.apalecanadian.com/australias-native-species-the-bogan/

• Like 14