The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. It feels a lot later though as dark ominous clouds have arrived so it might be that 22 expensive hair do's are going to be ruined. 

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

@45156 Mentions Amazon Prime, that is one reason I will never buy from that Company, I was conned, a few years ago into Prime, not realising. IMHO there should be a large warning coming up to inform you that an EXTRA £45 will be taken from your Bank Account.

I did eventually get my Money back, but vowed there and then that even if I couldn't buy something else where, I would rather not have it.

Rant over.:good:

That was short and to the point.:notme:

Enjoy the rest of your evening folks.:dancer:

I refuse to use Amazon though they are a lot cheaper than some others. That in a way is why I will not use them as its because of their tax avoidance practices.

Just heard some fireworks going off outside, is there something to celebrate?

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Someone I know bought a black car on the theory that it would be easier to keep clean, she soon realised her mistake......

Yes indeed. I've had one black car - it will remain the only one :yes:

• Like 14

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

She has decided to watch the football and record the music from Vienna.

I watched 'the music from Vienna' and if it was the same one as was recently on PBS, we enjoyed it a lot!  Anything with Wagner on the bill is enough for me; in fact the whole show contained some of my favourite music!

Brian.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Someone I know bought a black car on the theory that it would be easier to keep clean, she soon realised her mistake......

Bear's first car was black (never again), then red**, then silver, now white.  The silver was by far the best at not looking dirty - it'd go for weeks without a wash and still manage to look "not too bad".

** Technically I've owned two red cars (both new XR2's) - the first was a disaster, to the point where the garage gave me a full refund cos' I made them look very , very silly.  To cut a long story short it was delivered to me with a small dent in the door - they filled and resprayed the door and you could still see the dent - and runs in the paint :angry: - when I went to collect the car after the repair they'd parked it in a supermarket car park on a saturday afternoon in Stamford Hill :banghead:.  I'd also complained that they'd missed items off the PDI (for which they charged 300-odd quid for (IIRC) back in the late 80's.  So the "Big" Manager promised that he'd personally ensured it'd all been repeated, and by the book this time.  Only a naughty little Bear had let a load of air out of the spare before I returned the car to them for rectification.  Out came the Tyre Pressure Gauge, down went the Manager's chin.  Game, set & match to Bear....:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 16
  • Funny 3

54 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. It feels a lot later though as dark ominous clouds have arrived so it might be that 22 expensive hair do's are going to be ruined. 

I refuse to use Amazon though they are a lot cheaper than some others. That in a way is why I will not use them as its because of their tax avoidance practices.

Just heard some fireworks going off outside, is there something to celebrate?

I don't think people who let off fireworks outside of the first week of Nov have anything to celebrate. They just don't have any pets. 

• Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Seems to be a bit of an anti-climax to me, and not exactly Spacebear territory.

Exactly as expected. Everything about the SpaceShipTwo mission profile is designed with safety (or at least risk mitigation) in mind.

• release from mothership (rather than vertical launch)
  • hybrid solid/liquid rocket fuel (has the advantage of shut down without the mechanical complexities of liquid-only fuels)
  • aerodynamic reentry with 'feathering' (no ablative heat shields like ballistic reentry)
  • glide landing on a runway (rather than parachutes and random landing)

This was Burt Rutan's concept.

The Blue Origin launch will have more unknowns. Will the reusable launch vehicle explode on landing? Where will the capsule land? etc

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear has been seduced by the offerings of a low-flying TW.  Oops.....

I saw that!  I'd love that D20 but this little brown bear doesn't earn the money that TW thinks its worth any more.  I won't get into a scrap with him by offering what its really worth on the used market.

I did much the same for a widow with a huge US layout a few years ago, and it was a waste of time - she got little more than two grand for all the locos and stock.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

We had a car on which the sunroof leaked whenever it was parked leaning a particular way - took ages to find out the drain in one corner was blocked, but the far end of it could not be found to rod it out, having tried and failed from the top.  Eventually discovered by the rear wheel arch!  The gunge that came out was best described as toxic, eeuuww.

Is that a technical term from your time on the briny?

• Like 8
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Is that a technical term from your time on the briny?

Yes, usually when referring to the 'porridge machine' - septic tank - together with 'a metric bucket-full', which was noted in an engineroom log on one ship I sailed on.  The Chief was not impressed.  Which I think was the intention....there being something of a disagreement between the two.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I saw that!  I'd love that D20 but this little brown bear doesn't earn the money that TW thinks its worth any more.  I won't get into a scrap with him by offering what its really worth on the used market.

I did much the same for a widow with a huge US layout a few years ago, and it was a waste of time - she got little more than two grand for all the locos and stock.

I don't think the D20 has appeared as yet - at least not a photo of it.  I've secured what looks to be a very nice L1 that'll need attention to the roundy-roundy bits (I may well have a set with square holes in the middle :wink_mini:); I could be tempted by another as well, though not the "high-end stuff" as Bear's LDC tokens have taken somewhat of a kicking this year - and not from the golden yummy stuff either :sad_mini:

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4