RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Some aficionados still claim that a HQ videotape is better than a digital version.

The equivalent and a continuation of the perennial "Scratch on a black plastic disc" versus CD argument. 

Now, where did I put my Linn Sondek  and my oxygen free cables ......

• Like 7
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Almost impossible to park in London these days for non-residents. And the traffic, everywhere, is awful.

If you don't absolutely need to drive there, don't even consider any option other than the train.

This could be one reason:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59559863

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

In the fun department; I might have a go at splitting the Beeza's crankcase so as to extract the kn*ck$r%d big-end and conrod.    How hard can it be?

Alan

Now that all depends on who's been there before you - and what carnage they've left behind.....:scared:

24 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I do know, however, that of the two major videotape formats: Sony's Betamax and JVC's VHS, Sony's Betamax was the better system, but was more pricy

A work buddy used to work for the Beeb many, many moons ago (at Ally Pally I believe) and told me that Betamax was used by the Beeb as it was superior to VHS.

In other news.....

Plans for the morning changed a little - no battening has been carried out cos' by the time I'd done other things deemed important there was little time left.  Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.  No great issue though, as on the great scale of importance it "can wait for another day" as they say.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PupCam said:

The equivalent and a continuation of the perennial "Scratch on a black plastic disc" versus CD argument. 

Now, where did I put my Linn Sondek  and my oxygen free cables ......

Ah yes, Oxygen free cables.  The great Currys rip-off money spinner - a friend fell for it after being told by a salesman that they were essential for a decent picture on the new telly they were also buying.  About sixty quid's worth, IIRC - and that was probably 15 years ago.  I've never had any problems using quid specials from Poundland.

ISTR a manufacturer (in Oz?) being so incenced at people being ripped off that he said that anyone contacting him for a (SCART?) cable would be sent it totally FOC

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

35 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Take it that this tally is from personal observation?

I didn't know they were allowed to still have miss universe competitions! Trump has given them a decidedly icky taint.

No, google listed the winners for me.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Raining steadily now.  Topped up with petrol @ £1.459 litre x 37.55 = £54.79 = £6.63 gallon!!!  IIRC when I started driving in 1965 you could get 4 gallons for a pound.  Good job I do a very low mileage.  TBH if it wasn't for the convenience I wouldn't really need a car and could save a small fortune by using cabs and public transport.  Not sure that will ever happen unless misfortune occurs and I can no longer drive.

Oh good oh , just been asked if I can make some soup for lunch.  I can do that :yes:

Funnily enough I topped up this morning and diesel was €1.45 per litre which works out at £1.24  in sterling. It was €1.51 last time I filled up.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

I’ve been trying to get on here all day, but the bl00dy ads and the jumping page really got on my nerves, so I gave up. 

Not a lot happening here today, typically, I’d just emailed the supplier of the missing package this morning, telling them it still hadn’t arrived, when the damned thing turned up. So I had to email them again telling them so! 

Im just about to drop Sheila off at the hairdressers then I shall return and watch last nights Hornby programme. 

Back later (I hope)!

Brian

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

• Formula One: with all the skulduggery posters have been going on about, I guess Scalextric can no longer claim to be a realistic and authentic recreation in miniature of F1 racing :jester: With dedicated slots, how can you “accidentally“ crash into a competitors car?

Bu scalextric do a digital version now with lane changing capability. I assume it has a similar technology to DCC which means that cars would be able to run in the same slot

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Do catch up. She's been unlikeable since 2012 when she claimed that Australian workers were paid too much when Africans were willing to work for $2 a day.

Her wealth was inherited from her dad Lang Hancock who discovered huge iron ore deposits in  the deserts of Western Australia.

Has also been in court fighting her children's access to the 5 billion dollar  trust her father set up for them.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Greetings all from a grey and wet LBG. In the office today and the auditors have got their questions ready - again. It seems to go round and round!

Beers last night were good - one called the Oregon Trail was very nice - and Curry Mahal was on top form too; pity for them that we  were the only customers...

Mrs Lurker decorated the Christmas tree while I was out. 

Have a good day all

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Definitely staying in today, post that should have arrived on Friday and Saturday arrived this morning including a society journal and a book both on unmentionable subjects so I've got plenty of reading to do. The book was second hand from Oxfam and was very reasonably priced. One thing though, the first line of my address was all that was written on the envelope, the address label either became detached or was not put on. Despite that it got to me without too much delay. The advantage of having a unique street name.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, TheQ said:

A JE7 might have the range for what I want.... if you filled a lot of the back with batteries..

It depends on what your requirements are. I seldom venture more than 50 miles from home and if I do such as visiting the *Uckfield show as I did a few weeks ago I would check for any charging facilities.

*(The Exhibition was next door to a Tesco's with the electric vehicle charging bays.) I am seriously considering leasing one, depends on the cost. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

When buying our new telly the other day the salesfraggle and I were reminiscing about the very same thing, and another came up - green felt pen around the edges of CD's to improve the sound by 'reducing light scatter' - he reckoned it was probably the greatest mark-up in pricing history.

Ah yes, a colleague and I always used to chuckle at that one, especially after after we'd picked ourselves off of the floor laughing at the latest review of oxygen free copper cables and speaker cabinet glues.     I generally blame poor sound quality on the use of sub-standard mains fuses in the plugs (you know, the ones without gold-plated end-caps) ..... :yahoo:

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

I support reasonable provision for safer cycling.  I still occasionally cycle myself but nowhere near as much as I did (in London and other places) when younger.  I don't feel it's as safe as it was thanks to the larger amount of road traffic and the much lower level of tolerance towards cyclists generally.  They are seen as obstructive road-rule ignorers in some circles and indeed with some justification.  

The widespread 20mph speed limits also introduced make matters worse because it is seldom possibly to legally overtake them (even if one had space) without exceeding the speed limit.  I know those limits are there in an effort to reduce pedestrian casualties and improve road safety but it is my opinion that they contribute meaningfully to neither.  They might save a very few collisions but they seriously increase driver frustration and have made bus services (in common with all other traffic) significantly slower.  The perception of the bus "taking ages" is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy as the volume of private motoring now exceeds pre-Covid levels.  The removal of road space to favour cyclists - not least the provision of London's Cycle Super-Highway network - has caused severe and all-day congestion in some places.

If only that had been classified as a rant as I find myself in total agreement.  

Blanket 20mph speed limits:

- ridiculous

Cyclists who:

Ignore other road users, signs, signals, the cycle ways that have been provided for them at great expense,  and "right of way"

- pig ignorant and doing the cycling lobby no good at all

Cycle ways that are pointless

- ridiculous waste of money AND inconvenience to the majority of road users

• Like 3
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1