RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Afternoon all, bright and breezy morning here and 8 degrees, 40 mph winds forecast for a few days yet and snow seems to be everywhere except on the coast where we are. Of soaps on tv, SWMBO used to watch them, but I managed to wean her off them over 20 years ag, last time I saw one it was in black and white, Ena Sharples was it??

Stay safe all and keep well.

When I last watched a soap Ena Sharples was still in it (and it was black and white). We had our first colour telly in 1970.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Back again. Currently sat having a well earned muggertea. So far this morning I've done well, half of the stuff has been shifted, but I've found a stash of wood that I'd forgotten I had, quite a bit will eventually get used on the layout. 

Tea has been supped so time to get back to work. 

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

While the topic is floods..

A full on tropical storm hit  work yesterday afternoon right on home time, it kept us all inside sheltering from the rain and hail for 30 minut.

Theres storms and then theres tropical storms.  Anyone whos been in the tropics or subtropics would know what they can be like and this was a prime example of the latter, coming right on time at 5pm after a humid day.

It put   6 inches of water through the basement and collapsed the ceiling where we work which also contains the farady cage and the SCIF  (Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility - or super secret conference room to everyone else.)  and blew the power. 

Bad timing since at the end of the week a heap of VIP's ( Air Commander, Chief Of Air Force, various big knobs of the other services) are attending a conference in there, so the CO is a bit  peed off, especially since investigations this morning showed that the 300mm  stormwater pipe laid above the ceiling that was installed as part of a multi-million dollar refit last year had parted at a joint due to there being no apparent glue used..

PXL_20220221_061401416.jpg.4a5e0d1d063e0ffc70e9ab883ebd500e.jpg

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Just an updatevon last nights numpty fest.  Here they are trying to tow the car out of the flood up a kerb.

P2211751.JPG.b0da5aeaa7165022025e2d9c1d99e887.JPG

They eventually pushed it forwards and into the road we were standing on.

Jamie

I drove across  Cahills Crossing in Kakadu when I was in the Northern Territory. Water was only about 6 inches  deep through it and I had rented a 4WD so I gave it a go. Despite the shallowness of the water it is probably one of the most nerve wracking drives I've done  considering the potential difficulties if you conk out halfway across.

I got some pics on the other side of a half a dozen of the local wildlife basking  just off the side of the causeway  but I can't find them easily so I stole this off youtube instead.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Tried to sort out my map collection earlier. I was trying to find a specific map. A 25" inch to the mile Ordnance map showing the secondary school that my brother and I attended. Could I find it, could I heck. I have about two dozen similar sized maps, most stored in postal tubes. I have promised the collection to my niece, I can't get it all in my car, the poor girl doesn't know what she's letting herself in for.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I spoke to Biggles this morning. He asked me to pass on his best wishes to you all. 

SBT's as always - please pass on Bear's regards (plus a large wedge of LDC) and mention that he's well overdue and the SAR's are just about to burn n' turn.  And yes, they do know all those dodgy establishments that Aircrew like to divert to whilst claiming the kite has gone u/s.....

7 hours ago, PupCam said:

The roof man came yesterday to do a temporary replacement of the concrete roof tile that decide to turn into a glider the other day.   Fortunately it landed on soft mud and even more fortunately didn't intercept a human being on the way down - it wouldn't be taking prisoners!      The deft and athletic dexterity of the chap whipping his ladders out and up over the apex of the roof and then lifting individual tiles to provide foot holds so that he could do his Spider Man impression had to be seen to be believed.   There was a time when Puppers would venture up a ladder to attend to those bits of the roof he could reach.    Not any more!  :nono:  

There's a row of shops close to Bear Towers - a photo of them being built many, many moons ago shows one of the local builders (from the Village IIRC) doing a hand-stand on top of the tall chimney stack.  The row of shops is 3 stories high.....

As for Bear, well I'll go to the guttering and that's my lot, thanks very much.  I'd only consider going on the roof if there was scaffolding.

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Tried to sort out my map collection earlier. I was trying to find a specific map. A 25" inch to the foot Ordnance map showing the secondary school that my brother and I attended. 

25 inches to the foot?  That'd be a mighty big map methinks...

2 hours ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All

Sorry about absence (as ever) - yesterday started well (NOT) with me losing a filling at 06.45 = quick email to our dentist, and then a message on their (now working again was not for a year) answering machine - got a call-back at 08.15, and was seen at 10.30 (my appointment was for 10.00)  Now got a new filling and done on NHS - great.  

A few days ago Bear took a look at the website of a dentist that lives upstairs from Doc's Surgery; it's apparent that they are private only (unless you are under 18 and meet certain criteria).  Fees?  Bluddy Hell......

New Patient Consultation £150

Filling:  "from" £180.....

Simple Extraction £250

Surgical Removal of Tooth:  "from" £300....

Consulation (I guess that's fancy speak for a check-up):  £75

In other news:

Bear had a meet-up with three College Buddies, but not without a hitch.  We all arrived at the usual Cafe, only to discover it was shut until March.  Turdycurses.  So plan 2 was invoked and we all diverted to the pub we use when we have a proper din dins lunch rather than a sarnie lunch and clobbered the sarnie menu instead, so all was not lost after all.

I also visited the large Tesco Superstore purely to fuel up the Bearmobile; I did note that many pumps were marked "out of use" - short of fuel again?  I also see mention of oil prices jumping because of some tw@t called Putin and his fun n' games (which are neither of those for many people...).

The local Boots provided Bear with Magnesium Sulphate Paste, which has been squirrelled away in the "ready use" locker, just in case....

And finally.....

A raid of the local Co-op provided Bear with numerous examples of his favourite Pizza*  (Dr.  Oetkers Margherita) for two quid each instead of three :yahoo:and they also had one of their "specials" on the go - five goodies out of the frozen cabinet for a fiver, instead of the usual twelve quid they'd normally cost; very good news for this Bear - and also for Peter at Number 5 cos' he gets the Chicken Dippers.....**

* It could be "pesto" in the mix that does it; I have considered it on one of Bear's super-duper home-made jobbies but it seems that a jar of the stuff has to be scoffed within 2 weeks after opening.  No chance.

I wonder if that is just standard corporate ar5e-covering speak. or if the stuff'll kill you on Day 15 onwards?

** Some things a Bear just doesn't "do" - and C.D. is one of them - body is a Temple n' all that.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 9
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Evening 

Well our little bag is packed for our trip daaarn saarth tomorrow. The catering department has provided bacon sandwiches there is no way I am paying £4 a time for a bacon sandwich.

All the stuff has been laid on the drive for the bulky collection tomorrow I would have lent it against the fence but for once it's blowing a hoolie here so the Volvo is parked on the street. We have also been to the tip again . Although making some headway into the cupboard under the stairs ( I haven't seen the back of that cupboard since 2009) I came across a box containing 2 flatpacked trestles.  We started to put them together to say they are a PITA is an understatement you need to be crossbred with a flaming octopus till you get the last screws in 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Chicken and Bacon pie and chips for dinner tonight, delicious it was too. PB I meant to have put mile not foot, now corrected thank you. Still quite warm here at the moment but predicted to be a bit chilly by morning but it looks as though the weather will be fine for the funeral.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Consulation (I guess that's fancy speak for a check-up):  £75

Not necessarily.

Our tooth-wrangler (private unless exempt, in which case they mysteriously have no appointments available) charges for "Consultation" separately to "Check-up".  A consultation, they say, is what you get when you enter the premises, interact with the reception staff, wait out side the room for as long as it takes and then take your seat in the dental chair.  What follows is the "check-up" after which the "consultation" continues inasmuch as the dentist consults with the patient over the works required and estimated cost.  Consults rather than goes ahead and books it in or gets to work right away, that is.  

We're happy with her, as it happens, and her treatment fees do not require surrender of the first-born which is as well because we don't have one to offer, in addition to which she goes through her itemised fees quite carefully before any more work is booked or carried out.  

I've had one crown and three rebuilt molars done there none of which has cost me more than £250 a pop.  

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 hours ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All

Sorry about absence (as ever) - yesterday started well (NOT) with me losing a filling at 06.45 = quick email to our dentist, and then a message on their (now working again was not for a year) answering maching - got a callback at 08.15, and was seen at 10.30 (my appointment was for 10.00)  Now got a new filling and done on NHS - great.  I left my mobile at home, and I hadn't touched it since last Thursday, and when I got it, I found it totally dead - I had left it in my drawer, after it had been drenched in one of these rainstorms - I did give it a good drying, but it would not take a charge - so back into town after lunch to visit the o2 shop where I had to get a new Nokia - my last was a Samsung Galaxy, but I couldn't afford that - still it works and I can do just about the same on it as I did on the Galaxy, only for £200 less.

Then today we had to go into Manchester to see our solicitor - I checked the AA driving directions, and took them down accurately - but as half the roads that it suggested were closed, we managed to get lost in Salford as one road had a direction to turn down it, but it was closed, and the next one was a no entry, so we would up on the wrong side of the CIty Centre of Machester, then after going down a closed road (access only due to road works) we somehow came out (don't ask me how) on the street where the car park nearest our solicitor was located - shame we were 1/2 hour late - but she didn't mind.

Generic greetings are of course on offer.

Regards to All

Stewart

You should have told me I could have stood at the top of our road and waved as you went past and waved again as turned round and went another way.

We don't bother going into Manchester as the highway people - a term used loosely as its believed that they are in actual fact aliens sent to this planet to stop humans from moving around, have decided that all routes into it should only be used by buses & scooters

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A lovely looking day - presently bright blue skies, though chilly at 3°C in the mid-afternoon. Walking this morning was cold - around freezing with a light breeze that brought some wind chill. (Not Minnesota cold of course.)

I need to get in gear and visit the pharmacy but first will check the mail box.

• Like 14