The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Rats. I thought my fairly non-specific references might have avoided the wrath of the multitudes. It seems not 🤣

Today’s shirt was a fairly standard “band” one celebrating Midnight Oil.  

Tomorrow is St Piran’s Day so no T-shirt but instead the full Cornish regalia, skirt an’ all!  

The pasties were delivered from Hayle yesterday and only need baking off ….. 

I think we got away with it as I don't hear the awl being loaded onto the catapult.

Watch out for lost porpoises looking for a place to hide with that item of fashion. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Today’s shirt was a fairly standard “band” one celebrating Midnight Oil.  

One of my mates at school was always banging on about a band his cousin was drummer in ("banging on" + "drummer" = lol at selfwit). Then they released a couple of albums and when we got of pub age we used to go see them at the surfie clubs and pubs of the northern and southern suburbs. Went to some insane gigs around 1981 when they were still surfpunk, before they discovered their political conscience. Walls would be running with sweat, Pete Garrett  would be on an oxygen tank between sets.

As well as Gary The Parrot we have a house budgie. He loves music, especially Oz Pub Rock  and recent alternative bands.  He was in the mood to rock yesterday, "Section 5 (Bus to Bondi)"  from the Oils "Head Injuries" album set him off, but I didn't think to film him until he got stuck into  "(I'm) Stranded" by @Ozexpatriatehome town compatriots The Saints.

Gary The Parrot  prefers Country and Western, particularly for some reason those lame trucking songs "I've got 18 wheels and I'm gonna make it home tonight 10 4 smoky bear" and so on. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well, like the last few days, I’ve not done a great deal, no big jobs tackled at all. However, I’ve made a start on a couple of small jobs, reducing the size of 2 rectangular picture frames into square frames. One frame is now glued and sat in the cellar and clamped up, the other frame is cut and will be glued up and clamped up tomorrow. 

This evening after tea, we opened a nice bottle of red and then sat and watched a film, called “Kursk: The Last Mission”. It’s about the sinking of the Russian submarine Kursk in August 2000 and the Russian navy’s botched attempt to rescue the crew, it was a very good film and I would highly recommend it.

• Like 19

9 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Buttons the (headbanging) budgie. That's great!

He was a rescue from the outside  aviary, he fledged on a 45 degree day about 5 years ago and was in heat distress so got brought inside the house to cool off and never left.

Budgies are little powerhouses, I'd recommend one to anyone who wants a cheap (self lol number 2 today!) to keep pet, that are really companionable. If they can avoid unfortunate accidents or escapes into the outside world they can live as long as a dog. I used to have dogs up until 2016 but the fear of snakes meant I was always on watch for them, having parrots since then instead, I've discovered they take smart to the next level and  I've not missed a dog.

Cockatiels are a good intermediate bird to have, bigger than a  budgie' and even longer-lived - I've got 4 in the aviary that hatched in 2002. They aren't great talkers but love music, I had an inside one that would whistle the Mexican Hat Dance, stop if it got a bum note and then restart until it got it right. 

Gary The Parrot can sing the chorus to The Lumberjack Song but stops it if he sees me trying to film it!

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

Relatively mellow weather here - light rain on and off in the valley, snow in the mountains. Better than the blizzards or tornadoes (17 of them) across other parts of the US, that's for sure.

Television is pretty dire today - had golf and then soccer/football on. (Public television is in the middle of one of their quarterly, fortnight-long 'pledge breaks' - two weeks of begging for donations in exchange for a tote bag or coffee mug. I'd send them more money if they didn't do 'pledge breaks'.)

The MLS (Major League Soccer) season started last week. The Portland Timbers home-opener (delayed to last Monday due to snow) was not on television - MLS has a deal with paid-streaming service Apple TV for all match access. 🙁 (I'm not a fan of all these à la carte streamers.) Today the Timbers played an away game which was broadcast and after being down 3-0 at least made the ending interesting with two goals in the second half.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Cockatiels are a good intermediate bird to have

Only if you have the room and can manage the mess. When I was married I came home from a business trip to find a large cage and a cockatiel in the kitchen. What a mess! It scattered seed around within a 1-2 m radius of the cage and when removed, left its droppings everywhere. To my relief it was quickly rehomed - to an enthusiastic young lady with permanent white stains on her shoulders, car seats etc. It was cute and my son was disappointed, but his mother realized she was not up to the challenge.

Growing up I knew people who kept a sulphur-crested cockatoo in a cage. A beautiful creature but the cage was far too small for the bird (it fit, but only barely) and it was (understandably) nasty tempered.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Only if you have the room and can manage the mess. When I was married I came home from a business trip to find a large cage and a cockatiel in the kitchen. What a mess! It scattered seed around within a 1-2 m radius of the cage and when removed, left its droppings everywhere. To my relief it was quickly rehomed - to an enthusiastic young lady with permanent white stains on her shoulders, car seats etc. It was cute and my son was disappointed, but his mother realized she was not up to the challenge.

Growing up I knew people who kept a sulphur-crested cockatoo in a cage. A beautiful creature but the cage was far too small for the bird (it fit, but only barely) and it was (understandably) nasty tempered.

You're meant to house train them -  You wouldn't let a unhousetrained dog sit on your shoulder!

The fruit shop I go to has a cocky in an aviary about the size of an outside dunny, poor thing just screams at everyone.

Speaking of shopping, I was queued up at the service counter of Woolies, behind someone who was buying a carton of Benson and Hedges. Smokes are now so hidden and unadvertised that I had no idea how much they cost these  days  - $446 (250 great British pounds) for 8  packs of 25, or 38 pounds equiv  for a single pack!

No wonder I dont know anyone who smokes...

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Islam has in certain areas and in certain eras     incorporated or perhaps tolerated pre-Islamic beliefs as part of the religion- in Indonesia I believe that some of the existing Hindu beliefs were incorporated. The “cleansing” of these beliefs came as part of religious-political campaign against the Dutch but also as part of a movement to define what was “Islamic”. I can’t find the reference to the specific movement I have in mind but a quick scanner led me to articles that suggested this was an ongoing movement to this day, particularly in Aceh, where the earthquake a few years back was used as a rallying cry for a stricter and less tolerant version of Islam. Shari’a law is enforced in Aceh

Indonesia is one of those countries which is huge, highly populous, strategically positioned and of increasing economic importance yet about which most in the western world know very little. If you look at a map it is quite eye opening to see just how big the main islands and wider archipelagic country are. It's a multi-ethnic country, much more culturally diverse than generally recognized.

When I first started going there, there was a de-facto civil war in Aceh between the Indonesian military, which is still not really resolved. Most Indonesian Muslims are pretty tolerant and there is freedom of religion (most Indonesian Chinese are Christian or Buddhist, and as noted Bali is a Hindu province). They had a major problem with fundamentalists like Jemah Islamiyah but in recent years it's been more stable. That said, things like the niqab are visible in a way there never used to be.

In most respects Java would probably share much in common with Malaysia if not for the colonial era. The difference in written Maly/Indonesian is largely down to the way the British and Dutch codified the language in the Roman alphabet and most Indonesians and Malaysians can communicate easily enough.

Importantly, the food is quite superb and the country is stunning beautiful. The highlands of Java are quite idyllic. It's a country well worth visiting.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Gary The Parrot  prefers Country and Western, particularly for some reason those lame trucking songs "I've got 18 wheels and I'm gonna make it home tonight 10 4 smoky bear" and so on. 

Here’s one for the parrot

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Somewhat dull here but it's dry for now with the chance of scattered light showers later.  4°C and it might not get much warmer.

Late on parade after a great night out over the road with our friends.  Plenty of drink was involved but not enough to cause me any ill effects although I did sleep well.  Usual Sunday cooked breakfast has been offered, cooked , inspected  passed fit for consumption and been consumpted! 😉  Very nice it was too.

Rugby watched yesterday with mixed enjoyment.  Quins ladies got thumped by Exeter but the lads got revenge and won by 40 points to 5 which ended their recent run of defeats.  You'll not be surprised to learn that I'll be watching another match this afternoon.

Steve's popping in at lunchtime for a natter and to finalise arrangements for our visit to the Cabinet War Rooms on Tuesday.

A couple of minor domestic tasks need dealing with, the sort of thing that brings forth the cry "Will you please move all your stuff and put it back where it belongs!"  "Yes dear, of course I will."   This means visiting The Shed so I may be gone until Steve arrives.  😁

Farewell for now.

Have a good one,

Bob. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I wonder how @polybear is doing? He has been quiet since his brief post yesterday morning. Even the mention of CAKE hasn’t flushed him out of the undergrowth (as it normally does).

I have no idea what is ailing him (although I have one or two ideas), but whatever it is, it has certainly rendered him hors de combat. Let’s hope he improves quickly and is soon back posting.

Besides the humanitarian aspect (or is that Bearatarian?) of wishing a fellow ER a speedy recovery, Captain Cynical wants a healthy, feisty, bear to bait - it’s more sporting that way…

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Had a good night last night, about seven hours sleep only interrupted by a couple of breaks for a number one. Now to get breakfast on the go before it becomes brunch. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Colder this morning and still cloudy but with a hint of sun now and then.

Yesterday after breakfast I thought about going to an exhibition of moving things but decided not to.  Last time I went was 2016 and I didn't really enjoy it - and the traders where I might buy things are not there.

So instead I simply went to the beach and had a nice walk along the sand to the harbour pier and back, picking up cowrie shells as I went.  The tide was out, most of the sand was firm - except the usual soft bit near the pier and it was not windy, just dull again.

Once again I was back in time for coffee and then looked at my old photos cast to the TV until lunchtime.  In the afternoon I watched the DVD I copied to the hard drive, it was sharper and enjoyable - but the picture quality was of its time - some 20 years ago.  It did bring back happy memories.

The new convertor came from Amazon at tea time so I may try it out this afternoon.

I decided to give wholemeal bread another try to see if I can tolerate it, if not it will be 50:50 in future.  

I also started to sort out which seeds I will sow this year and when.

David

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All,a

Woke up to electricity - then fell asleep, and was wakened by a beep from the telephone in our bedroom - indicating that the power had been down - no idea for how long, but possibly only one of these blips - you know the ones that are just long enough to knock out the hub, TV box, cooker, and any clocks which don't have a battery back up. 

Today's task was to finally sort out the 600 plus railway books and to thin them out - I have now done that, and two large supermarket bags of no longer wanted or needed railway titles are Oxfam bound - they will probably turn up in the Ludlow bookshop some time next week, and will probably be stored as there is not a very large transport section - there are also a number of railway books in the shop - some are a bit rare - like Enginemen Elite, by Norman McKillop (Toram Beg), and also a number of Ian Allen annuals which are not all that valuable, but might fill a gap if anybody is collecting them - the 1955 and 1956 were there, but I bought them.  I am also donating a duplicate of the 1953 Trains Annual, which has no dust jacket.  I will list some of the titles which I am donating when I get them sorted out.  If anybody is interested in anything, and is in easy striking distance of Ludlow, I am usually in the shop 09.30 to 13.00 pm a Monday - just ask for me.

A large Glen Scotia beckons now as a reward for sorting out the books.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All!

I hate to say this but I have been involved in a minor way with some "Decorating related activities".   Unlike a certain Bear of this Parish I'm afraid I have no desire and get no satisfaction from undertaking such tasks.   Anyway, my bit was to improve the transition between two separate parts of a ceiling; the main ceiling and the ceiling in what was once a cupboard until the cupboard was removed (by a previous occupant).   It's much better than it was but certainly nowhere near to the exacting "Bear Standard" but at least it's done now.

A few days ago I my have mentioned that the Beeza engine's bottom end could go back in the frame and so it has .....

1466717135_Backintheframe-Small.JPG.c88de3b08f03b0df76634594e0afc972.JPG

The engine look more complete than it actually is; there's no piston in there and in fact it's not even the barrel that will be used.    The barrel and cylinder head are mainly to stop "gold fish" entering the crankcase.   And the push rod tunnel is there for inspiration 😃.   Nevertheless it's progress Jim!

A couple of the jobs I will have to do later is to check the valve timing and set the ignition timing.   One needs to know precisely where Top Dead Centre of the crank is and also where (in this case) 38 degrees before TDC is.   Measuring the piston's TDC position with a Dial Test Indicator is not the most accurate way of determining this (because of the potential of Sine error) and shoving a stick "Down't plughole" and measuring 7/16" below TDC for the ignition point is clearly crude!   

The most accurate way is to mount a 360 degree protractor (known as a "Degree Wheel" in the bike and car engine maintenance world) on the end of the crankshaft and set up a fixed pointer to graduations.  Then  a fixed "Piston Stop" is introduced into the cylinder some way down the stroke and the difference between the two angles where the piston physically stops when the crank is rotated is bisected to get a very accurate indication of where Bottom Dead Centre is.   Add 180 degrees to that figure to get TDC then subtract 38 degrees to get the ignition point and Bob is indeed your mother's brother.

But I can't do that at the moment because the Top End of the engine isn't done yet,  the process will involve  mental arithmetic and anyway it's cold in the garage.    In an idle moment yesterday it struck me that one of the 360 degree rotary encoders used for the "Astronomy Gadget" would be ideal (with an Arduino and a bit of code of course) to locate the two stop points within ~0.3 degrees and then indicate TDC and the ignition point as the crankshaft is rotated.  Whilst perusing the website of the Great River I came across a nice little circular Arduino display about the same diameter as the rotary encoder.   I'm sure you can see where this is heading 😂.     

image.png.10fe40b1c32c776fb92ef8ce3be727bf.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09X1JVRYP/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A2FQD9ZIAONBLW&psc=1

You won't be surprised to hear that a couple of items were added to the basket and should be winging their way to Puppershire shortly.  

So this morning has been spent in the relative warmth of the Study rustling up the prototype of the basic measurement code.  It seems to work quite nicely.   I love this form of "Electronic Lego" in fact I'd go so far as to say it's brilliant.   While I'm waiting for the bits to turn up I must contrive the mechanical bits that connect it to the engine and the crankshaft.   I've got a sneaky feeling that a chunky rare-earth magnet may well be employed as a form of compliant drive.  Once built and proved I could even rent it out  lend it to my mates should they desire to use it.

My dear, recently departed friend Ken would have loved such a gadget!  

TTFNQ

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Goo dafternoon everyone 

Very late on parade today, due to having a bit of a lie in and breakfast in bed. Then it was straight downstairs to the cellar to finish the 2 picture frames I was altering. There are now both finished and back hanging on the kitchen wall. Sheila is a very happy bunny. It's not really worth doing much else, so I'm going to take the Sherman's gearbox apart, ready for drilling 4 new holes for the 2 new lay shafts. 

Back later 

Brian 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All

Today's task was to finally sort out the 600 plus railway books and to thin them out - I have now done that, and two large supermarket bags of no longer wanted or needed railway titles are Oxfam bound - they will probably turn up in the Ludlow bookshop some time next week, and will probably be stored as there is not a very large transport section - there are also a number of railway books in the shop - some are a bit rare - like Enginemen Elite, by Norman McKillop (Toram Beg), and also a number of Ian Allen annuals which are not all that valuable, but might fill a gap if anybody is collecting them - the 1955 and 1956 were there, but I bought them.  I am also donating a duplicate of the 1953 Trains Annual, which has no dust jacket.  I will list some of the titles which I am donating when I get them sorted out.  If anybody is interested in anything, and is in easy striking distance of Ludlow, I am usually in the shop 09.30 to 13.00 pm a Monday - just ask for me.

A large Glen Scotia beckons now as a reward for sorting out the books.

Regards to All

Stewart

Oxfam have an online book store and things like railway books and other specialised subjects are usually on it.

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Went to the SC, flags up, rescue boat got ready, set out, heavens opened, got very soggy. A very poor turn out probably due the forecast..

Forecast 2-15 mph north westerly. We got... Less than 10 mph westerly. High tide about midday.

President's Cup, 3 races all to count, all classes of boat.

Race one, course 3P, 2P.

started, did 100 yards in the 5 minutes before the next start, then the winds started coming up. We were quickly swamped by the faster boats of the second start.

No chance of a decent result on handicap.

Race two, course, 3P, 1P, 2P

a combined start, with such few numbers.

Buzzer went, all boats called over except us and one other. Lead for about half the the race, but the light conditions not doing any favours for us, finished 3rd.

Race 3, course, 3P, 1P, 2P

Started mid pack, went down a bit as we can't manouver as fast as a dinghy, then as the traffic cleared, we fought our way up to 3rd.

Drove back from the SC in heavy rain / sleet, crystals just forming a slight ridge at the end of a wipe.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9