The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I'm going to have a bit of a rant as I'm at a loss as to how this can be justified.

At the weekend I had cause to top up Mavis Victoria that's the car to you, with petrol.

Now being somewhat diligent, i sort out the cheapest price. Which on this occasion happened to be Sainsbury's and was pleasantly surprised to note that the cost was less than £50. This was despite the fact that the tank was half full.

Anyway on driving away I noticed that there was Esso garage no more than a quarter of a mile away. So checking the petrol price I clocked that it was a whole four pence dearer.

What I can't understand is how Esso and the other big suppliers BP, Shell etc can operate with such price differences. Especially as motorists are using cheaper places and that this has been going on for some time.

Yes I know they are operated via franchises, but surely they are not making sufficient profit to stay in business. If that is the case where are they making money? From  retailing in the shop? But if that's the case it can't be from motorists so from whom? If they are being subsidised, as seems to the only option left, where were the funds to do this  obtained. Over changing of fuel?

The economy does not seem to be operating commercially.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

It better stop soon, still waiting  for the covers to come off at Edgbaston!

Don't they realize it's almost bedtime down here?

Australia have to be favourites now. They can go at it like a T20 or one-dayer but if they lose a wicket or two just shut up shot without long to last out.  They’ve nothing to lose.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

@Winslow Boy A lot of people I think still believe that branded petrol is somehow different to supermarket petrol - I know my F in law was very much of this persuasion for years insisting he would only use an Esso branded service station when Asda was much closer.

Also people might not drive off into a supermarket filling station but just drive on until they saw the convenience of a petrol station on the road,

Does seem daft, but I guess it matters little to the petrol companies as long as the petrol station isn't losing money because one way or another they will sell their petrol be it through their own pumps or that of a supermarket.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Looking in my rear view mirror he looked like he was going nuts behind the wheel and he looked older than me, stoopid auld fart.

That would (and has) encouraged me to let in as many people as possible. We had been queuing for some time once to join the M25 from the A13. The lanes filter together and at that time there were roadworks too. I let someone in and for about a mile a trucker kept aggressively braking behind me so his cab rocked.  He also beeped his horn a lot. He eventually pulled alongside and got out clearly about to explode, and berated me for letting someone in and claimed he had video footage of me brake testing him he was going to give to his “local cop shop” when he got back to Ipswich. I told him to grow up and mentioned I had a a rear facing camera, and would he like me to send it to his employer. He stomped off. Aditi said she didn’t know we had a rear facing camera. I said we didn’t (apart from reversing) but the trucker didn’t know that either. 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

A lot of people I think still believe that branded petrol is somehow different to supermarket petrol -

Is it not down to the additives they … er … add.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

3 minutes ago, BoD said:

But ultimately petrol is petrol, they cannot sell a product that would harm the engine, they might add stuff and make claims - but proving the benefits would be difficult as climate, driving conditions, car health and driving style all have a part to play in how efficient the engine is.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, BoD said:

Australia have to be favourites now. They can go at it like a T20 or one-dayer but if they lose a wicket or two just shut up shot without long to last out.  They’ve nothing to lose.

We have a poor record chasing wins over there though.

We haven't scored 174 in a run chase in the UK  since the 70s when Paul Sheahan  and Rod Marsh won one for us. Before that you have to go back to the 1948 Invincibles team with Don Bradman.

We don't have a Don Bradman any more and Steve Smith is already out so history and statistics are against us!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, BoD said:

Aditi’s 1999 made Clio only ran nicely on BP 98 or the local Sainsbury 98octane petrol. The Fiesta that replaced it doesn’t seem to be affected by brand and the E5 to E10 change hasn’t seemed to have affected it. We usually fill up at our local Shell garage though. It is never cheapest but pretty close. However I suspect they don’t pay to any of the comparison sites as they claim it is very very expensive!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, BoD said:

It is, supermarket petrol is the base fuel with as little additives as they can get away with.

BP , Esso and particularly Shell, add a whole range of additives that keep the engine and catalyst clean, and make it run better.

My local garage ( who don't sell fuel) recommends using 1 tank in 4 of Shell or BP if you normally use supermarket fuel. But as neither have a branch within 20 miles so our car doesn't get that and so they  chucked in a can of engine cleaner last time it was serviced. It made a difference...

Afternoon Awl,

Wall cladding started with the fiddly bit of the corner and end. Several xxxxxxx words expressed, as the most awkward bit was at the ceiling, and screws, drill bits, screwdriver tips  kept ending up on the floor.

Once that was done, the final section of the wall was quite easy.

I'd forgotten to check what dado rail and skirting board we had in stock. No dado rail.... So a skirting board was cut to size, it will need painting before installation.

At that point it was raining so an eyelid inspection was carried out on the mobile home sofa, on surfacing Ben the waiting Collie was giving me the stare.. so we went on the long patrol. That was accomplished before further rain arrived.

The rain is sinking straight into the ground, no puddles except on the tarmac.

Err um just looked into the house hallway and spotted.. yep two packs of dado rail purchased for the hallway, I'd forgotten that.. so some will be sacrificed tomorrow for the loom area. Just checked dry and sunny tomorrow, so dado and skirting can be painted tomorrow.

Out of some leftovers from the mobile home work, I've just made another mast chock, this time with an end stop so it doesn't disappear down into the depths of the tabernacle where I can't reach it.

When it's out of season, I'll make a fibreglass cast of the mast at the required point, a fiberglass cast of the tabernacle at that point then bond in the required amount of spacer between the whole assembly will be then fixed in place...

Time to think of what to make for dinner ..

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

One for @polybear while I work on  3D printing my 1/6th scale .model of a 3D printer

https://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/artisan/alfred-mellows/

Once again I could lose hours on that website.   I just love and get tremendous inspiration from excellent craftsmanship and it doesn't much mater what discipline the subject is from.  For me, real craftsmanship is real craftsmanship.   I'm convinced that there are basically two (10 for our programming friends 🤣) types of person; the first ( I'm very much in this category) are the type that sees such treasures as a source of inspiration and encouragement to do better even if we never attain such dizzy heights  and the second are the type that sees such superb results as completely unobtainable, a source of frustration and drives them away from ever having a go or trying to do better.   It's a funny old world ......

@polybear will particularly appreciate the model of the Bridport mill on @monkeysarefun's link.     If only I had space and the cash for a full-size one in the garage!

13 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

@Winslow Boy A lot of people I think still believe that branded petrol is somehow different to supermarket petrol - I know my F in law was very much of this persuasion for years insisting he would only use an Esso branded service station when Asda was much closer.

Also people might not drive off into a supermarket filling station but just drive on until they saw the convenience of a petrol station on the road,

Does seem daft, but I guess it matters little to the petrol companies as long as the petrol station isn't losing money because one way or another they will sell their petrol be it through their own pumps or that of a supermarket.

Er no.

5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But ultimately petrol is petrol, they cannot sell a product that would harm the engine, they might add stuff and make claims - but proving the benefits would be difficult as climate, driving conditions, car health and driving style all have a part to play in how efficient the engine is.

They can sell any petrol that meets the current specifications.   Not every last characteristic is explicitly specified  and the most obvious one is currently premium unleaded which can contain UP TO 5% ethanol, not 5%, not 3.2%, not 10% ....   

Fortunately (as has been said before on here)  Esso Supreme currently (in most but not all areas of the country) contains zero, zilch, absolutely none which is jolly good news for the classic vehicle owner.    Unmodified classic vehicle fuel systems and engines usually contain a number of elements (e.g. soldered brass floats in the carburettor float chamber, fuel hoses etc)  that are generally incompatible with Ethanol.

Unfortunately, as recently pointed out by our Beary friend, that is set to change in September when Esso Premium unleaded will succumb and will join the pack and be closer to the upper limit than the lower.       5% will not be the end of the world and far better than 10% but 0% is by far the best INVHO!

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

A'noon,

The Boss survived her dental assault and has praised all at the surgery so that is A Good Thing.  Somewhat different to her previous dentist.

Our parcel arrived at the appointed time.  Very cheerful driver who said it should have been delivered yesterday which differs from the emails I got but no matter.  He said some of their vans had been held up by protesters including one idiot who superglued himself to the back of a van.  Trouble is driver didn't see him (Hmmm, I wonder? 🤔 ) and drove off.  Ooops.

The Boss is now talking to a bumble bee.  " No, not in there, go that way, out of the door! Out! Out! "  I'm not sure they speak English but never mind, as long as she's happy.   😂

I've been to The Shed but couldn't find any dynamite.  I resisted using the lump hammer and "calmly" * surveyed the scene of my latest railway disaster.   Plan B C D  er  about X² has been formulated and I've started lifting track.   Had to order some more materials so there will now be a delay in the process.  

*Those who know me well will probably say that calm and Bob should probably not be used in the same sentence.

Muggatea and a couple of biscuits now and bangers and mash later for dinner.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I mix and match my fuel, mixture of ethanol or not, supermarkets and not, I was told by my son in laws relative who works at the huge refinery not far from Edinburgh that fuel is a base made from multiple sources, from multiple companies and the difference in the end product is down to the additives that the end seller requests, different companies, different recipes. My mechanic is not a fan of the high ethanol, so I try not to use just that, anyone got any Red-ex lol?

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

One for @polybear while I work on  3D printing my 1/6th scale .model of a 3D printer

https://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/artisan/alfred-mellows/

Interesting piece. I notice that the Holbrook lathe company was based in Romford. As a Romfordian by birth I was surprised as I'd never heard of the company. When I looked them up all I could discover was that they are now based in Bangkok.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'm going to have a bit of a rant as I'm at a loss as to how this can be justified.

At the weekend I had cause to top up Mavis Victoria that's the car to you, with petrol.

Now being somewhat diligent, i sort out the cheapest price. Which on this occasion happened to be Sainsbury's and was pleasantly surprised to note that the cost was less than £50. This was despite the fact that the tank was half full.

Anyway on driving away I noticed that there was Esso garage no more than a quarter of a mile away. So checking the petrol price I clocked that it was a whole four pence dearer.

What I can't understand is how Esso and the other big suppliers BP, Shell etc can operate with such price differences. Especially as motorists are using cheaper places and that this has been going on for some time.

Yes I know they are operated via franchises, but surely they are not making sufficient profit to stay in business. If that is the case where are they making money? From  retailing in the shop? But if that's the case it can't be from motorists so from whom? If they are being subsidised, as seems to the only option left, where were the funds to do this  obtained. Over changing of fuel?

The economy does not seem to be operating commercially.

Things may have changed but when I worked at a filling station 50+ years ago the owner told me there was more profit selling a bottle of lemonade than in a gallon of petrol.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

9 hours ago, AndyID said:

I'm not surprised. It went down to 41F here last night at not much over 2000 feet.

Not much warmer here at sea level. It was 46°F / <8°C early on Monday morning. The snow level had dropped to 4,000' - below the mountain passes.

The Oregon coast saw five waterspouts offshore yesterday - two of them simultaneously. They were not destructive.

We'll see drying and warming over then next couple of days.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Just as I finished writing my post here this morning it started to rain, so the garden has been left alone for the day.  It is still raining so the only watering which may be needed today will be in the greenhouse but the temperature has been between 15C and 17C since the rain started so most plants won't have used much water - except for the tomatoes which are always thirsty.

Just as I sat down with a mug of coffee and an egg custard (a treat for having been to the cemetery - well that's my excuse) the post came, some is actually interesting - Radio Times, a modelmaking magazine about things outside the UK, 2 catalogues and a book on steel bits between Newcastle and Alnmouth which has just been reprinted (again).  I've been looking forward to it, a quick glance suggests it will be enjoyable and informative - especially as it is all about the area in which I live.  It is one from  Middleton Press.

I've had 3 "interesting" phone calls to my mobile today - one was allegedly from HMRC about court proceedings for tax evasion, one supposedly from O2 offering me a discount on my mobile bill and another one purporting to be from HMRC saying they have taken an arrest warrant out for me for tax evasion.  I am glad I never believe anything anyone I do not know says on the phone unless I have initiated the call.  The "HMRC" ones were simply prerecorded so I terminated the calls, the one from O2 was a real person so I just said I was busy and hung up.  When I am in the mood I sometimes spend some time on such calls, never giving away anything about me (not even my name) but asking questions about them until they hang up.

I have reported the so called O2 call to O2, they have confirmed it was not from them.

After lunch I sorted out more photos, the Amazon delivery came containing the correct camera batteries and I have done a bit of painting on some models.  I've also closely examined some silicone sealant in the bathroom and kitchen and have decided some can be refreshed, other bits need removing and replacing - I usually use a very sharp scalpel to remove old sealant, I do not get on with "removers" you can buy.

Shortly it will be time for tea - a chicken sandwich followed by fresh raspberries.  TV tonight may include some old comedies on BBC4 and Maigret in French on TPTV as well as Michael Portillo.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Things may have changed but when I worked at a filling station 50+ years ago the owner told me there was more profit selling a bottle of lemonade than in a gallon of petrol.

Supermarket profit on a litre of fuel Before their costs around about 10p

Supermarket profit on a litre of pop,  it's difficult to say but they work on a margin at most of 4%, 

The nearest I can find to the old bottle  is a 500ml bottle of pepsi in Tesco's for £1.50 so that would be 6p profit.

Yes I looked it up.

Meanwhile the post arrived with an application form for another of my pensions, unfortunately it's the smallest one... Every little helps...

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Chewsday >yawn>

Plodding along here, technically, TECHNICALLY, yesterday was a federal holiday, but as with many such holidays, they're primarily observed by federal institutions rather than the population en masse. Translations, federal employees get a day off, everyone else can take it as on "optional/floating" holiday.

Weather AND air quality were good and lived up to forecast/expectations yesterday, 

we've a dinner with friends here tonight, outside drinks/starters may NOT be an option due to air quality !@$!@$!@$!$! 😒

Today, 20c and sunny/hazy first thing high of 30c expected with poor air quality.

Tally ho

• Like 17

Thank you all for contributing comments my earlier posting. I to will use branded petrol every so often as I've found the engine does respond better on it. Yes I take the point about petrol being the loss leader but surely if motorists arnt visiting then I can't accept that their is sufficient profit still being made just from any others who may use the station.

• Like 9

Just now, Hroth said:

We've sorted out petrol, now whats the lowdown on diesel? 🤔

Was once the second coming according to the government, but it turned out to be Lucifer and now we have a creeping emissions taxation as a result of the drop in air quality from a decision made by central government.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

. Looking in my rear view mirror he looked like he was going nuts behind the wheel and he looked older than me, stoopid auld fart.

My sister believes the older ones are the worst believing they have less time to live and are therefore always in a hurry.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

We haven't scored 174 in a run chase in the UK  since the 70s when Paul Sheahan  and Rod Marsh won one for us. Before that you have to go back to the 1948 Invincibles team with Don Bradman.

Not even during the Border captaincy? (Perhaps that team never needed to chase?)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1