The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Well what to do today. Looking out the window at the rain sodden grass, bushes and trees it would appear not a lot- well certainly not in that garden at least. But dogs got to be walked and paper collected so out into we must go.

Oh hark I hear the sound of distant thunder....... I can't remember the rest. Oh lord the skies have just opened and it's coming down stair rods so going outside is temporarily suspended. No hose pipe bans here folks and it's not due to us fixing all of our leaking pipes I'll have you know.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, grandadbob said:

to visit Sainsbury's

Is the Model Centre still going?, I love the train journey from Baff to Salisbury, so much wildlife to spot, particularly along the Wylye Valley.  Though I must confess that I haven't been for about 5 years.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
Just now, DaveF said:

if the pharmacist isn't too busy I'll see what he/she suggests in the way of painkillers

As already mumbled back there somewhere, I take co-codamol industrial strength on prescription for back (and most everything else) pain.  You can get lower dose 8mg (500mg of paracetamol in it too) over the counter from the pharmacy.  You shouldn't take it for more than 3 days in a row, if you're an ameture, but it will get you out of a tight spot and therefore help you sleep better.  The pharmacist will tell you the ins and outs of it.  Good luck 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I knew the case went on for years but since I stopped hearing anything about it long ago I assumed it had been dropped or he'd been quietly shuffled off back to China or something. To wait 8 years for a trial is poor form, the law should hold wrong doers to account but justice should also be efficient and not leave people existing in legal limbo for so long. So I think the judge was quite right to boot the case, if the prosecution haven't been able to bring the case to court after 8 years then more fool them.

Agreed; I wonder how much of this time he might've been locked up - and if he was on bail etc. (presumably with his Passport suspended) then how did he make a living?  I can't imagine there'd be too many Companies wanting to employ someone accused of spying.

• Like 3
  • Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks for that. Landes was what we used in the end but Les Landes,which are south of Bordeaux are heavily forested.  Still this is France. 

Jamie

I have been told that much of Yorkshire's moorland was also heavily wooded until an urgent need to build naval ships to defend against Napoleon.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

I have been told that much of Yorkshire's moorland was also heavily wooded until an urgent need to build naval ships to defend against Napoleon.

That's representative of a now-discredited school of thought. Here is a good brief summary of current thinking:

https://atlasail.com/en/blog/the-impact-of-the-royal-navy-on-deforestation-uG66XQZN

I've read Oliver Rackham's Woodlands (I can see the book from here despite the forest of chairs and musical instruments) - very interesting on a great range of topics.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Barry O said:

which is why we don't have superfast broadband. As I suspected the move to VOIP telephones won't be happening when they think it will as the old copper wires are toooooo slow.

Our broadband is the fibre to cabinet version which is their “superfast” , and our phones went VOIP last year. BT’s website implies what we have is fine for HD video streaming but the ultrafast is needed for 4K streaming. The present system works without problem for 4K streaming. We were due to have ultrafast by 2026 but it now says “no build scheduled”. The road has VirginMedia cable for those who are desperate for a gigabit per second connection!

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2