The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Well I pondered doing some more scanning.....and eventually decided "Oh Buggerritt, it'll feel good when I've done it" so cracked on and finished it, so that's a definite Tick.  And yes, it did feel good....

At some point in the not-too-distant future I can bung 'em on Ebay and see what happens - I'm not expecting miracles but I live in hope; I'll probably list them as something like Bundles of 12 issues or so, which should enable posting via Courier at not-too-silly prices.

If all else fails then I'll save any that are of particular interest (including Issue 1) and the rest can go to the Local Hospice as it seems they are happy to take them.

Bear gone.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A bit late on parade this evening as I've been watching a program about the container ship that got stuck in the Suez Canal a couple of years ago. It was well worth watching and went through the various complex reasons that caused the accident. FYI it was on BBC1 at eight and you can catch up on I-player.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Since first seeking the doctor's help with sciatica last year and asking to be referred to a consultant on March 17, all that has happened is that just over three weeks ago I had an MRI scan at a few days notice. I hadn't heard anything since and the sciatic pain has been getting worse and more extensive, being so bad this morning that I decided to wait no longer and rang the GP practice. Much to my amazement spoke to a receptionist within a few minutes and got an appointment to see what they call an urgent case practitioner within the hour. He told me that my MRI scan showed what I suspected, i.e., degradation of the lower spine leading to irritation of the nerves and that as a result the practice wrote last week to the spinal unit of the hospital I had given as my choice. I did say that it would have been nice to be told about this but he made no comment. He then said that all they (the GP practice) could now do was to help me with pain control, which is fair enough, and gave me a prescription for a cocktail of analgaesics that I picked up from the pharmacy later. It has taken me nearly five months to get this far but at least things do seem to be happening.

Worst of all, of course, is that I haven't been able recently to get down to the shed for over a week now and do some modelling!

Dave

My BiL had similar spinal problems and the treatment involved gluing about three vertebra at the base of the spine together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Well actually, Bear doesn't know......😢

Er, that was sixty years ago.....

Bear here....

Probably about 3/4 of the way thru' scanning the pile - hopefully another session later today will finish it off.

In other news.....

On the subject of scams, I received this from my Neighbourhood Watch group today:

"Two people have been arrested on suspicion of fraud relating to work carried out on a victim’s property.

On Friday 28 July, two tradesmen visited a home in Bishop’s Stortford offering to clean the victim’s driveway and roof. They offered to complete the work at an agreed cost per metre, however before fully completing the work the men demanded the victim pay more than £4,000 in cash. 

The victim visited their bank to withdraw the cash, but due to the size of the cash withdrawal the bank activated the Banking Protocol and alerted the police. Officers attended the victim’s address and questioned the traders, finding that they had not provided paperwork for their quote, which is a legal requirement.

A 30-year-old man from St Albans and a 29-year-old man from Milton Keynes were arrested on suspicion of fraud. Both men have been released on bail whilst the investigation continues".

10/10 to the Bank, though surely it would've been better if the Police had attended the Bank rather than the victim's address - what would have happened if the scrotes had already cleared off?

It'd be rather nice to think they'll be (a) charged, and (b) sent down for a good stretch, though I'll not hold out too much hope on either happening.

Bear gone.

There is something which fellow ER's could help me with as I'm having one or two problems understanding when I read this article. They are ; the gentleman says he went to his bank. What's a bank? and secondary; the police were called and they went to the bank. So what are the police? 

To put this into context one of my banks has two branches in all of Manutopea and trying to get hold of the police is like picking the winning lottery numbers, while blindfolded, sitting on a spinning stool and singing cum bye r.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

47 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A bit late on parade this evening as I've been watching a program about the container ship that got stuck in the Suez Canal a couple of years ago. It was well worth watching and went through the various complex reasons that caused the accident. FYI it was on BBC1 at eight and you can catch up on I-player.

I was going to watch but the tabloid style title put me off.  I'll give it a second chance on iPlayer tomorrow.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

At least $50,000 is listed as  "Benefits" such as paid Annual Leave, Sick Leave and Healthcare ,and contributions to a pension plan, things which many other countries  have legislated  to include as part of any employment package.

Actual pay in the deal is $44.50 an hour rising over the 5 year deal, still high and well above the US average but not quite what the headline was making it out to be. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, polybear said:

HOW MUCH??

From the article:

UPS said the average full-time driver would earn about $170,000 (£135,000) annually, including healthcare and other benefits, by the end of the five-year contract.

My emphasis:

Full-time

It can take years of part-time employment to get on full-time. My next door neighbour in Chicago was desperate to get full time work with UPS. The part timers get irregular shifts and may not work much except during the Christmas rush. The workforce contains *many* part timers, EDIT: and they get paid 42% the rate of top, full-time drivers. Part-timers are guaranteed 3.5 hours per shift.

Healthcare and other benefits

These are part of the negotiated package, but not something the employee actually sees as income. Remember there is no NHS. Most employees in the US have to contribute out of their wages to cover their health insurance, and the company will also contribute separately and employees don't pay the entire premium out of pocket. The employees won't see anything like the figures quoted.

Having said that, they are paid well by the standards of hourly workers not requiring special training/skills.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 16

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

well above the US average

"Average" for what exactly? I know the article references "average" pay. Does that include C-suite people? Some total of all salaried employees / number of employees sort of thing? Median wage ($57.2k) is usually more reliable.

A 'random' website Google hit suggests:

The average UPS driver salary in Oregon is $56,550 per year or $27.19 per hour.

Right around the median wage.

The Federal minimum wage* is well below the poverty line.

* $7.25 / hour ≈ $15k annually.

In Portland metro it is ≈ $32k annually, but you still can't live on that. Average apartment rental is $21k annually for 70 m^2.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

One of the biggest issues the union was negotiating was for air-conditioning.

The agreement reached with the Teamsters last month raised starting pay for part-time staff to $21 an hour, recognised Martin Luther King Jr Day in January as a holiday for the first time, and secured improvement in working conditions, including promises to provide air conditioning in new delivery vehicles.

My emphasis.

None of the existing UPS delivery fleet has A/C. It is in excess of 110°F / 43°C across most of the southwest this week.

Search for  "UPS driver died of heatstroke". You'll get multiple hits for fatalities in 2021 and 2022.  In one of them there's a picture of someone with a thermometer in the cargo area reading 154°F / 68°C.

The company is only installing A/C in "new" vehicles.

Some of the pay increase is a negotiable relative to retroactive installation of A/C.

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

The UPS agreement will be an interesting case study for people studying organized labour negotiations.

Here's a different perspective:

CBS: Some part-time UPS workers say "historic" contract falls short

If you look for alternative sources you'll find that part-time drivers are paid $21 per hour ≈ $44k* annually. The top full-time rate is $49 per hour ≈ $102k** annually.

* If you actually get 40 hours work (which you don't as a part-timer - they guarantee 3.5 hour days ≈ $19k annually ).

** A far cry from $170k - though with overtime (whether you want to work overtime or not) it is closer.

One of the working conditions workers wanted to get rid of was mandatory overtime. Drivers refusing Saturday/Sunday shifts could be "written up". Another aspect of delivery is that drivers have to finish their shift. If your route takes longer than your scheduled work day - due to extra loading, poor route planning, bad traffic, etc, then you end up working longer hours with no choice in the matter.

While they did negotiate MLK day as a paid holiday, they did not get Juneteenth as a paid holiday. (Both are Federal holidays.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Healthcare and other benefits

These are part of the negotiated package, but not something the employee actually sees as income. Remember there is no NHS. Most employees in the US have to contribute out of their wages to cover their health insurance, and the company will also contribute separately and employees don't pay the entire premium out of pocket. The employees won't see anything like the figures quoted.

When estimating labour costs for unionized employees on a project, we could add 107%  to base rates, depending on circumstances. That would be to cover things like pro-rated benefits, holiday allowance etc.

As Ozexpatriate says, an employee would not see anything like those estimate figures as direct income.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

Separately from UPS, one aspect of US salaries to consider is retirement planning.

For most salaried employees, a company sponsored "pension" is a thing of the long-ago past.

The US Federal Government manages "Social Security" which is a pay-as-you-go system. Money is automatically withheld from your paycheque and goes to the Federal Government every payday. The more you make, the more is taken out (up to a limit). Depending on the age at which you retire this produces a monthly payment - but often not much more than minimum wage in some places.

Most moderate-to-large companies offer employees optional participation in what is called a 401-K investment portfolio. The employer usually matches 3% of the first 6% of contributions (tax exempt) from employee salary. It is up to the employee to decide which allocation of funds (usually a collection of externally managed mutual funds) in which to invest.  This is intended as the primary retirement plan and can be carried over to a new employer if people change jobs.

Both of these are taken 'off the top' of every paycheque along with all the applicable, Federal, state and local taxes.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

50 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Most moderate-to-large companies offer employees optional participation in what is called a 401-K investment portfolio. The employer usually matches 3% of the first 6% of contributions (tax exempt) from employee salary. It is up to the employee to decide which allocation of funds (usually a collection of externally managed mutual funds) in which to invest.  This is intended as the primary retirement plan and can be carried over to a new employer if people change jobs.

In comparison the government mandated rate that all employers have to contribute to employees superannuation (ie "pension"  increased by .5% to 11% last month.  This  amount is on top of an employees salary, not taken out of it  and  many employers offer up to 20% as an extra  enticement. Employees are able to contribute extra if they want which comes out of pre-taxable income, or contribute from post-tax income, which is tax deductible up to a ceiling (which is something like $27500).  

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5