Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

Wet and windy oop 'ere again. Reasonably mild but the leaves blown in the face are unpleasant. Two deliveries so far today. One was a carful of things I'd better not mention. The other was about the size and weight of a toenail... definitely little and large! Yes, after a delay of only about four months, Rabbit finally got his grubby paws on a replacement time/date battery for the camera. A slight further delay while the packaging was opened and a liddle test - hooray! So a big thankyou to @BR60103 for the advice and information. 

Best wishes and positive vibes to those with parts which are sulking or painful or being used as a pincushion. Should anyone need a folding, easily concealable shovel for an escape tunnel (or mixing a very large cake mixture?) then I have one going spare. Just don't start under the stove - that's the first place they look. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I forgot to mention, at breakfast I was joined by one of these.

Untitled.jpg.b7cc360c9197c2b5b29a2b3fde3ee720.jpg

Now my spider isn't very fluent, but I did gather that she was asking how to get to Bear Towers. So, being an obliging fellow, I told her (and made her a little spider sized map).

If Bear is concerned, he can always call the Swiss police!

https://www.dw.com/en/swiss-police-called-to-remove-spider-from-bedroom/a-41245861

Swiss ladies seem to be spider magnets. Twice I've been part of a special team that has had to rescue ladies from spiders and both times they've been young Swiss backpackers,

or maybe Swedish come to think of it.

Anyway the first time was on an  end of school surfing trip up the coast with 5 mates. We stopped in at a caravan park halfway to Queensland on the first night and pitched our tent .  Nearby were said ladies in their tent. Just  before dusk screaming erupted from there and we went to check it out.

Turned out to be a bird-eating spider, which are     *&#&$*%^&%  MASSIVE.

Here is Harry Butler, Australian bush bloke of the 80's and a cultural  icon with one, they get very angry.    @polybear warning!

If there hadnt been Swiss/Swedish sheilas in distress present we'd have been running around screaming too, but someone had to man up, go in and get it out, so we had a vote and sent in Vincent Stead  who was the most expendable, He managed to flick it out with a stick and we were showered in thanks from the European ladies, but being simple Australian blokes we had no idea how to deal with that so we went back to drinking beer and setting light to each other with lighters like we'd been doing up until the interruption.

The second time I was driving past Sydney airport with my spider-phobic son when again, a different bunch of Swiss/Swedish ladies waved me down because the  hire  car they'd just picked up had a  huge Huntsman on the inside of the back window.  Luckily I had a long sleeved top on, so I was able to coax it onto my covered forearm, then flick it out onto the side of the road and off to safety in the grass, before getting back into my car and heading into the setting sun, leaving the Swiss/Swedish young ladies wondering at the identity of that spider flicking maverick. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 10

1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

A degree of over-sensitivity on your part perhaps?

It is very common  for nations to have their own names for countries and cities.

You might be surprised to find out what we and the locals call:

Bergen - Mons in Belgium

Genf - Geneva

Breslau - Wroclaw in Poland

Koenigsberg - Kaliningrad (Russian enclave)

All of the above are German names for the places named.

Edimburgo is Spanish for a place you might be able to guess in Scotland but where did the "m" come from?

As for Hrvatska, I doubt most non-Slavic speakers could pronounce it let alone realise it is Croatia.  Ditto Srbija - Serbia.  Some of the name changes are undoubtedly due to pronunciation problems.  

But you touch on one of my bug-bears with "Marsez", where I assume the "z" is supposed to represent the "s" that does not  exist in Marseille.  

Then there's Aix-la-Chapelle.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

It's a historic thing. the names of countries and cities have been anglicised for centuries; newer or less important places (historically) weren't familiar enough to get anglicised. Not just French place either; it would not surprise me if half the places in the old Hanseatic league have anglicised names. We certainly anglicised the pronunciation of places in WWI  - the Wipers Times being a a famous example. And other words too; allegedly "plonk" came from "plink plonk" which in turn was from "vin blanc".

As you say the French do it too with Londres and Douvres and Pay de Galle, L'Ecosse, Les Pays-Bas, l'Allemagne, amongst others. 

and Les Ros Beefs.......................................

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I’m usually OK when it comes to reading simple foreign language signboards (saída, dalje, sortida, uitgang etc) providing it’s written in “Western” letters; if it’s in a language using a different character system (出口, बाहर निकलना, مخرج, Выход) unless I’ve done some serious preparation, I’m stuffed.

Israel is very well organized in that regard. All the highway signage is in Hebrew, Arabic and English.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

We certainly anglicised the pronunciation of places in WWI  - the Wipers Times being a a famous example. And other words too; allegedly "plonk" came from "plink plonk" which in turn was from "vin blanc".

And "claret" from clairet that was extended to any Bordeaux wine whatever the relative pellucidity* of the wine. There are a bunch of 'old' English wine terms (like hock**) that wine merchants tend to avoid these days.

* Transparency / translucency

** From Hochheimer, today Riesling.

Then there's valet and fillet where in the US, French (ish) pronunciations are used.

Yet despite nicknames (like champers etc) people make an effort to pronounce Champagne.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Barry O said:

I like parmos and schnitties. Middlesborough is well known for Parmo availability inthe UK.

Prefer mine with salad and fries.

Good news is..Baz is getting better. Viral infection is root cause!

Great!

BUT fluid around my heart needs to be drained (nope not the blood stuff!).

That will be done tomorrow.. all being well. Senior doctors and junior doctors are on strike but they are still here in Cardio. One patient visited by a professor this morning. Fascinating listeneng to him mentoring a couple of junior doctors. Very good delivery and approach.

Guy next door to me is to receive a pacemaker. He sees no reason to stop smoking 20+ cigarettes a day...give me strength! But,as he has breathing problems he will have to wait until next week for his op.

Time for lunch methinks!

As an aside, inthe North East some councillors became "life time professional" councillors. Generations followed that path to a cushy living. Eventually the brighter locals twigged that they weren't interested in anything but themselves. Giant clear out occurred.. Good!

Baz

That fluid is probably Laphraoigh.

Nick

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

5 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Rabbit's suggested Politics/Sociology exam question: 'If a person has more laws in their society/country than they can remember, they have too many of them. Discuss *, with particular reference to the principle that ignorance of the law is no defence.'

* Though perhaps not on RMW ... 😉 

I know it's true but I've never understood how that could be unless it was expected that every citizen was legally trained which is clearly ludicrous.  Perhaps all laws should be repealed and replaced with a few sensible generic ones like "Play nice, don't steal (in any form) , don't hurt things, don't damage stuff etc .  Well, you get the picture.

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Today?  Wall to wall muddlin'.....

Progress?  Slow.....

Joy included cleaning up some bits called "wubbleyooeyeearns" (I think I spelled that right....) and forming & soldering iddydiddlytitchybits** (the sort that ping off into oblivion at a moment's notice, never to be seen again).  This didn't happen on this occasion, but I've certainly got the T-Shirt for previous occurrences.  Fortunately the designer has provided plenty of spares, so he wasn't a complete 'sterd after all.

(**Not the smallest bits I've had to deal with on this kit though; that honour goes to other parts - of which there were "rather a lot", many of which were sacrificed to the Carpet God at Missenden Abbey.  They must've been about 2mm long, 1mm wide and had to be folded into a U-shape before soldering.  Language?  Filthy).

Talk is cheap.  We need photos!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, southern42 said:
  7 hours ago, TheQ said:

A choice for school meals? Never heard of it. You got whatever sludge was put on your plate and had to eat it..

Absolutely. You sat there until you had eaten it forfeiting the rest of your lunch break if it took that long. More than one person had to hastily excuse themselves to return what they had been effectively forced to eat. Allergies and intolerances were not (apparently) known or accepted. 

The same was true for school milk. Those ⅓-pint bottles which arrived early in the morning and which were distributed crate by crate to classrooms.  Where they sat for a few hours warming up to a sickly tepid temperature and emitting that equally sickly warm-milk smell when opened.  Sometimes they were frozen; sometimes they were so warm the milk was off. 

School dinners. 

“Curry” was the worst. Minced beef floating in a green-coloured liquid and which somehow contrived to have hard bits which always felt like minced bone. And congealed severely over-cooked rice. Liver and bacon was also to be avoided if you could; rubber and fat would have better described it. The dessert was usually some sort of steamed pudding or “crumble” (a misnomer - it could not be crumbled no matter how hard you tried) with a wipe of dark red goo that was supposed to be fruit. And served with “custard” which was so thick - and thickly skinned - that it stayed in the bowl when inverted. And it was dark yellow. Usually. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4