The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Having surfaced, its surprisingly sunny out, though cool with a bit of a breeze.

But I've a cough, a runny nose and a soreish throat so I'm a bit under the weather.

Never mind, musn't grumble!

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Apparently I missed a bit of scandal while I was away, the pity of it. They just had the airshow (of all the weeks I had to be away) and it seems Airbus and the German Air Force have made a PR disaster for themselves by banning Chinese people from the A400M which was on display and checking nationality. I get the security concerns (though if there's a real security issue why open it to the public in the first place) but I'd really hope Airbus would have the brains to do something which didn't look overtly anti-Chinese in a country where the dominant ethnic group is Chinese. As my boss put it today (still a reserve officer in the army) why does he have to prove he's not 'Chinese' in a country where the majority identiy as Chinese Singaporean? Huge own goal.

• Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

But there is!  https://shedswigan.co.uk/

🤪🤪🤪🤪

Being Wigan, perhaps they offer as much free tripe as you can consume?

(With the infamous Orwell black thumbprint in the corner of each piece...)

I just knew when I typed this response that one of you lot would go and find somewhere selling sheds in Wigan. You know I don't obsess about not having a shed all the time. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I am sorry to be bossy here but really you need to make an appointment with a gp to discuss your arthritis problems, it is affecting your mobility, the  amount of paracetamol you are taking would be cause for liver function blood tests. Even if you have to start with a telephone appointment, it is a start. Covid did delay routine hip replacements but if you don’t start the process off you won’t get anything done. 

I totally agree with Tony. You need proper medical management PDQ. And with the amount of paracetamol you’re taking, I’d be concerned not only about liver function but also about kidney function and long-term GI problems. Furthermore, paracetamol is not that good an analgesic - ibuprofen and diclofenac are superior to paracetamol in a number of indications.

As Tony points out, get yourself back into the system and see where that takes you. And (as much as this will upset the die-hard NHS partisans) look into going “private”. There’s no sense in being in constant pain and a prothesis will radically improve your quality of life (I can speak from experience - I have two knee protheses which radically and totally improved my quality of life and mobility). It will be money well spent.

Furthermore, by going private* you won’t be taking a consultant surgeon’s time away from the NHS; quite a few of my senior NHS surgeon acquaintances say that they are only allowed to do so many operations of a given type per week. In other words the number of hip operations (or whatever) are capped. In one recent ombudsman report, it was stated that some NHS trusts were directing resources to meet centrally set targets as opposed to meeting local medical need.

As to why private healthcare can do the ops and the NHS can’t, it’s complicated and multifactorial involving a lot more than just money and staffing. There’s also a fundamental difference in philosophy between a European insurance based system and the NHS: for a hospital in the Swiss insurance based system a hip protheses is viewed as a source of income, whereas for a hospital in the NHS a hip operation is viewed as an expenditure.

* there’s quite a bit of health tourism going on and people are going to places like Germany, Switzerland and Singapore to get their hip and knee replacements done. In most cases, the total cost is around that of a new mid size car and having the operation done in Germany, Switzerland or Singapore  you will be getting top-notch care. And by having your operation abroad, you will not be putting any burden on the NHS, directly or indirectly.

Edited by iL Dottore
Formatting
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Back again.....

I see that a certain scrote in charge of Ryanair is using the fact that they'll be short of planes this summer (thanks to Boeing late deliveries - meaning the rest of 'em will be full up) as an excuse to whack the prices up by 5 - 10%.  Git**

**other words are available (and far more suitable too....).

Should have gone to Airbus...

• Agree 6
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I Googled 'What is Wigan famous for"?" and got, among others, this

https://www.wiganworld.co.uk/stuff/facts.php?opt=facts

Thanks John - interesting as, like Tony, it's part of the country I know nothing about and have never visited apart from one day at their exhibition many years ago when I was helping a friend with a layout - I can't remember anything about that visit except for seeing tourist information signs to Wigan Pier.

The website linked to is, however, a bit out of date as I saw the quote below . . . . . . !!

Local MP Ian McCartney is currently a high flier in Tony Blair's New Labour government as Trade Minister.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The rain has stopped and the sun might appear soon, it is quite fresh outside.  I've done my share of the housework so things have been dusted, Joanne should arrive soon to do the vacuuming. sweeping and change my bed.  I couldn't do those things yet.

I had quite a good night's sleep, only waking once but still feel tired.  

I must edit the grocery order for tomorrow but that's about the only vital job for today.  Later on if it stays fine as forecast I will have a walk.  The wind is from the north east so I will have to think of a sheltered route!

David

• Like 19

32 minutes ago, polybear said:

Back again.....

I see that a certain scrote in charge of Ryanair is using the fact that they'll be short of planes this summer (thanks to Boeing late deliveries - meaning the rest of 'em will be full up) as an excuse to whack the prices up by 5 - 10%.  Git**

**other words are available (and far more suitable too....).

Probably because bits keep falling of them.

• Agree 6
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I am sorry to be bossy here but really you need to make an appointment with a gp to discuss your arthritis problems, it is affecting your mobility, the  amount of paracetamol you are taking would be cause for liver function blood tests. Even if you have to start with a telephone appointment, it is a start. Covid did delay routine hip replacements but if you don’t start the process off you won’t get anything done. 

I don't take paracetamol on a regular basis, the painkiller of choice is Nurofen and even then not every day it just depends upon the circumstances. I can go for up to a week without needing painkillers, it's just that my current illness coincided with a bad spell of arthritis. Compounded by the fact that I had misunderstood the instruction not to take anti-inflammatories to mean all painkillers. 

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

@PhilJ W if you go to your GP you may be surprised. A few NHS Trusts have farmed out hip and knee replacements to private health care providers (same doctors.. just cost NHS more to get the job done.. hard life for these consultants!)

Must admit the one I saw was surly, full of cold and had a " can't be ars£d with this but £195 for 10 minutes is fine" attitude. The GP who saw his letter was appalled...so was I as his advice is.. "just live with the pain"..

I will look into that only I didn't see my GP but a locum (Friday afternoon). I might add that there is no 'Checkpoint Charlene' and I was dealt with promptly and efficiently.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

As our Singaporean correspondent has already commented they may have been barred.

I think he's actually British, and not Singaporean. He just lives in Singapore, so therefore is our Singapore correspondent. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night last night except having to pee several times, that being due to the antibiotics I am taking. They seem to be working however as the swelling is reduced. Not having ventured out for a few days supplies are running low so I need to shop sometime today.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

1 hour ago, polybear said:

…Does the combined wisdom of fellow ER'ers feel that the right and proper thing to do in future would be for Bear to phone Puppers at 0400 on paddlin' days (landline and mobile) to make sure he doesn't miss out?…

I would definitely advise against doing so as A) Puppers needs his beauty sleep, and B) due to recent events, Puppers now has Captain Cynical’s personal cellphone number.

Push your luck too far Bear and an early morning phone call from Puppershire could well result in you becoming subject to CC’sspecial personalised attention”.

It won’t be pleasant and will involve very LARGE spiders….

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, polybear said:

Sitting in the Solicitors

I can feel the meter running already….

I am sure our wills and LPAs were from a fixed price menu, but I know exactly what you mean.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 9

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I just knew when I typed this response that one of you lot would go and find somewhere selling sheds in Wigan. You know I don't obsess about not having a shed all the time. 

Is this the right time to point out I have two sheds..............................................................................?

• Like 1
  • Funny 15