Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Clearly the following options don't work or unacceptable.

a)   Letting them go free (by either failing to track them down or in, really bad cases, not bothering to look for them at all)

b)   Taking their liberty away and locking them up for a long(ish) while.

c)   Taking their lives

Agreed. And as you point out thus it was ever so.

I do not believe any perceived positives for option (c) overcome the very real negatives. 

The point of the leaflet I linked to yesterday is that severity of punishment is not a deterrence, and the belief that increasing severity will result in less crime is wishful thinking. What is more effective is more policing - which increases the perception that perpetrators are likely to be caught.

I suspect that spending more money on highly visible policing would result in reduced crime and less expense in criminal justice.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

23 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I suspect that spending more money on highly visible policing would result in reduced crime and less expense in criminal justice.

Plus give everyone a crack at a proper life - provide employment opportunities and a living environment that has money spent on it  to provide decent community facilities, to repair  vandalism and remove the rubbish. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Agree 6

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I see your sheriff in Florida and raise you a Presidential candidate!

Former President Donald Trump recently gave a glimpse into how his next administration would urge law enforcement to handle shoplifters if he wins the White House in 2024 − by shooting them in the store.

"We will immediately stop all of the pillaging and theft. Very simply: If you rob a store, you can fully expect to be shot as you are leaving that store," he said Friday during a speech to California Republicans.

His comments drew applause from members of his party inside the Anaheim convention and he loudly said “shot” again for emphasis.

Immediately conjured up thoughts of the Looney Tunes  character Yosemite Sam.

IMG_8680.webp.15404f9a0519eeae7d92c9c41fd0eade.webp

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

every time I fly I will buy an Accurascale locomotive to offset my emissions

I find avoiding curry reduces emissions! 

I also find avoiding the brand name you mention reduces emissions because of the amount of packaging they choose to use. Which I choose to consider excessive in the extreme. 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

13 minutes ago, DaveF said:

A few days ago I found some old cassettes including one of John Betjeman reading his poetry. Today I came across a USB cassette converter.  Perhaps one day I will actually digitise them so I can listen to them.

I do find John Betjeman's voice comforting, Alan Watts is another person I can just listen to.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Plus give everyone a crack at a proper life - provide employment opportunities and a living environment that has money spent on it  to provide decent community facilities, to repair  vandalism and remove the rubbish. 

I'm all for a policy of those "on the dole" - or whatever the correct technical term is now - actively being employed** to carry out such tasks; not only will it benefit Society as a whole it'll also benefit themselves as well.

** And no, the minimum wage doesn't apply - you do a forty hour week or your money gets cut.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

b) never called my bluff by asking  me what a taunting actually involved..

But when he grew up and found out what it meant he kicked the **** out of you .   😡

• Funny 15

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Afternoon all. 

Where am I?  Is this ERs?  The fog is so thick here it is hard to see where I’m going. 

Speaking of which. On watch this morning I was concerned by the progress of a small leisure craft.  Only its name and size came up on the trackers. No idea what type of craft, how many souls aboard, intention or destination. She was making around 4 knots so probably under power rather than sail. And she was perilously close to the shore and undersea reefs.

In near-zero visibility I couldn’t see her even at a half-mile range so Falmouth Coastguard was alerted. They called her but four hails went unanswered as she got to within 100m (by radar track) of disaster. 

She abruptly altered course - possibly having seen rocks dead ahead at underwear-changing range. And passed that hazard in what must have been white water. 

Only to then vanish from the trackers altogether as she came towards the cliffs once more. Falmouth asked several nearby fishing vessels if they could see her. In that fog they would have been lucky to see their own bow from the bridge. 

As the watch changed this remained unresolved but with no report of any casualty. Curious. And concerning. 

In other news this took place while my assessment was also taking place. At the end I was presented with my epaulettes having qualified as an NCI watch-keeper.  And with an almost 100% score. 

The coast will be that little bit safer now. Provided water-craft at least carry and answer a working radio!  

IMG_5934.jpeg.5b23939b18a71ce4575add95a73b6edd.jpeg

Does this mean we have to salute you each time you post?

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Don’t really understand your post but obviously it’s causing you some grief but hopefully it will get sorted.

Good luck.

Thanks. It caused me some grief for a long while, I'm just persuading myself to let it go.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Does this mean we have to salute you each time you post?

The depends upon how many fingers you propose to use 

• Funny 17