The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

sometimes wonder if the UK would be better off building Euro-style (and quality) apartments

There isn’t much non green field building land round here. Most developments now are flats or apartment buildings where a small business or a couple of bungalows with big gardens previously occupied the land. There are two sorts of apartment buildings “executive development “ and “retirement”. Executive means near the railway station with communal gym in basement. Retirement means alarm pull cords and a communal lounge area. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

We have used Ocado since Mrs Lurker was pregnant with Younger Lurker - and he’s 15. We’ve not had any real problems- a couple of times where the substitution didn’t meet our desires and once where we fit a bag of someone else’s shopping in addition to our own. In all those years they have only once not been able to make their one hour slot and they rang to let us know so we could reschedule 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Afternoon Awl, just.

Message left for vet as she's on holiday today, two locums at work which explains why she's so busy.

Next door called, she's been given a brand new printer a HP Envy 6020e... It took over 2 hours for me to set it up.

A 149MB  " HP Smart App" , then that allowed you to go get the driver for the printer, then registration for the printer then...

Hp use " instant ink", they supply cartridges when the printer says it needs them, you buy a contract for 10 pages a month ( 1.49),  or 50 pages a month (3.99), or 100 pages a month (5.99) etc..  anyway I've signed her up for the cheapest, you can change anytime . There are way around this but she is computer illiterate, I'd be round there every 5 minutes bypassing " instant ink"

And then I inserted the cartridges and paper, .. black cartridge faulty so it said, close inspection showed a plastic " hair" glued to a pin on the cartridge , scraped that off but it seems to make no difference .. tried one of our Envy cartridges but it's the wrong model..

Went round and round the HP "smart app" trying to get to their contacts pages... All 404 not found, their phone lines didn't appeal as I've no wish to wait for hours with their online system being offline.

In the end I've ordered via Amazon for a tomorrow delivery with her agreement as she's got something she wants to print out..

Her old printer? An Epson 442, that's 9 years old,  very cheap in the first place, not used enough so the ink cartridges / heads used to dry out...

SWMBO is out with Ben, I'm defrosting as next doors computer room is effectively unheated..

I don't have instant ink, having found a way to avoid it.   My printing is too erratic - weeks and months of no printing and then  tens (and just recently hundreds) of pages.  I have however on two occasions had problems when loading legitimate HP cartridges with the system telling me that they are empty or not suitable.  Each time I have had to get their on line help desk to tell their machine that the cartridges are legitimate.  The last time the boss of the help desk individual rang me after the system had been reset and admitted that their detection system is too sensitive.  

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Penthouse.jpg.64090844825ec393b90ab0f5ae87846c.jpg

I'm slightly more in favour of the penthouse, Mrs iD the garden apartment. The penthouse apartment is slightly larger at 170m2

Thoughts?

ION-2

I'm getting seriously cheesed off at the travel agent who arranged my trip to Japan last year.

I decided to use them again this year and I tasked them to (amongst other things) find me an advantageous Business Class fare to Japan using Asian airlines and novel routings (as our chum @jjb1970 has often spoken about) - so what do they do? They offer me two routings out of LHR at astronomical prices - the sort of price I would be quoted (as a non travel industry person) by booking on the airlines' own websites. I thought that travel agents could use their purchasing muscle and insider knowledge and status to get very advantageous fares (in this case, obviously not).

I had a go myself, and without much effort found a routing through Shanghai for 1/2 of the price of the cheapest flight offered by the travel agent! Unless they up their game, they may find themselves loosing a customer....

This one - dislike the 'open plan' stuff.

Advantages - hopefully PH view; sepatrate kitchen, mainliving area and fair size area for things that run on parallel track.

Disadvantages - dogs love gardens and if in UK the reliability of the lifts as stairs potentially a problem in the event of mobility problems.  Having said that in Switzerland and PH the lift will be properly maintained although at an annual cost.

Cannot comment on flights as the last one was almost beyong memory and as for holidays ...   We live in an area that has plenty of 'walks' but with dodgy knees and hips and a very very long waiting list is impossible for SWMBO and phenomally frustrates her, so, it is just as well that we have good countryside views.  Big changes have been made to the dwelling to her designs.  The really positive thing about SWMBO is that she is a fantastic homemaker and does not 'have to be out' like some of our friends need to be.

On another note spend too long going through all the posts that means by the end have often forgot the earlier reads ... hopefully senility is not beckoning.  Did note that GDB had returned.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Yep I've bypassed the cartridge instant ink on the HP4507 we got given when swmbo's brother went to live in Thailand . But it's too complicated for the neighbour should I not be around.

I do hardly any printing , then every 3 months print the club accounts for the quarterly meeting .

Which reminds me I have to print out several copies of this.. ( ignore contents to be safe from the Awl) to be displayed at the sailing club, the radar museum and anywhere else I can think of.

Hoveton Full Poster 2024 v1_0.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Happy Birthday to Midland Red Dave, may your singles never be compounded.  Or anyone mention the Midland used to paint their locos green.....🤡

My latest ex GWR model is in a rather attractive lined crimson lake livery. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Happy Birthday fellow Tiger........................................

Height of excitement, the washing machine packed up so a trip into town to order a new one, we have realised we had the old one fitted when we bought this place and had a new kitchen, so 20 plus years old, so I guess it owes us nothing. We also realised it's not the record. the Zanussi we got as a wedding present lasted even longer, 2 washing machines in over 40 years, maybe a record?. I replaced the hob and the fan oven, so we now are nervously looking at the fridge, as that was also installed over 20 years ago.............................tight...................me?...........frugal is how I describe my self, though the wife has another phrase for it.

I'm still using the washing machine I purchased in 1983, also a Zanussi.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I think Paneers do look fine in LT livery.  I have a Caramac version, actually two now I think about it, 4mm and 7mm scale versions!

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I think Paneers do look fine in LT livery.  I have a Caramac version, actually two now I think about it, 4mm and 7mm scale versions!

I was going to say London Transport as well but NHN beat me to it..

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I went to post on ER's earlier but it had disappeared from the list of threads  I had posted in, not to worry as it's now back. Now I've got to get a few things together for the SEERS AGM this evening.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I do have a red LT pannier but I bought that years ago. The new acquisition is a model of a crimson lake steam powered GWR vehicle. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

.... Once our Waitrose order van was crash damaged and the order was delayed but I wouldn’t criticise them. ...

It was an Ocado van but we had one caught up in a smash too. Thankfully the driver was OK, slightly shaken but no physical injuries. Amazingly, despite a 'seagull swooping' type piece of misfortune, they still managed to deliver on time! Thankyou/sympathy card was sent... 

4 hours ago, The Lurker said:

... We’ve not had any real problems - a couple of times where the substitution didn’t meet our desires and once where we fit a bag of someone else’s shopping in addition to our own. In all those years they have only once not been able to make their one hour slot and they rang to let us know so we could reschedule 

Tesco once tried to deliver someone else's goods as well as our own order. We spotted it on the doorstep but that could easily have been a major oopsie for them. Christmas run-up as well, if we hadn't have been paying attention and being honest, the other person could well have had problems. 

In our experience, both Waitrose and Ocado ring if they are going to be early or late - in fact this week's Ocado delivery was 15 minutes early and he rang to check it was OK to be early. As above, in our experience both are reliable and if there are any substitutions, they tend to be sensible ones. Both have given us much better service than the usual retail standard - and far better than the 'customer service' Pupcam mentioned re banks recently. It's one reason why we use them much more than other supermarkets, we'd sooner pay a bit more and get quality products and decent service. 

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

10 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Tesla CyberTruck export model

image.png.ff1e5b33f35da797a6787338b044439a.png

Looks like an updated Top Gear electric car!

Edited by Hroth
Link
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7