The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Thoughts?

Aditi’s Mum lives in a 2 bedroom penthouse flat. It is on the third floor of a purpose built building. It has a very large main bedroom with a spacious en suite. The lounge dining room is huge. The kitchen has plenty of workspace and enough space for a table for kitchen meals. There are roof lights so rain noise is higher than in a normal building and pigeons tap dance on them too. The managing agents keep the communal garden neat but seem to leave the external maintenance longer than I would like. The second bedroom and main bathroom are adequate  and there ismamroofmterrce where MiL can have a few plants. For someone with limited mobility when the lift is faulty (not often but lack of spares had caused long repair times. Parking is in dedicated spaces in an underground car park. 
Is  the proposed view from the garden apartment nice?  Is it next to a busy road? 

Aditi was looking at some properties (just out of curiosity, we are not moving) in Northamptonshire near her brother. One of the properties in the “offers over £1 million” section  didn’t appear to have a kitchen sink, just a half depth butler sink in the dining room attached to the  kitchen! 
We made a decision some time ago that we will stay here. It is easy to maintain and there would be no problem installing things like  stairlifts if we became less mobile. We had all the soffits and fascias replaced with upvc when they started to rot.some years ago. 
Aditi’s Mum and Dad bought the Enfield penthouse as their property in Nottingham was too big (both house and land) and incredibly expensive to heat. Aditi’s Dad died before they moved. Aditi’s Mum missed living in Nottingham but would have found it difficult to stay there without considerable support. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

5 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

On the other hand, oats grow happily in cold damp climates so oat milk is better on both the water front and carbon-footprint front.

Oat milk is the "sustainability" preferred option.

As you point out, almond milk is a sustainability nightmare.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Whitney Houston was a big influence in this.

YEs THAT kind of stuff. 

In comparison this clip of Pte Hettie Adams back in 2022 is showing  what she did tonight, at that years ANZAC-eve game. 

New Zealand don't play AFL but they are part of the ANZAC commemorations and the capacity crowd and the players at the MCG were as  respectful in this clip  as they were tonight.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Thoughts?

Flavio, I don't comprehend your loathing for open-plan but that is your prerogative.  The penthouse has an open-plan dining/living space - it is only the kitchen that is separate.

The architect of the ground-floor unit does like rectilinear. That put me off.

I would prefer the penthouse - but as Tony says, the lift cab be a 'single point of failure' for some, though the stairs look 'nice' as an option. I presume the 'front door' is at the bottom of the stairs?

The lift also looks very small.  Is there a larger service lift somewhere below? I don't see any "space" for it anywhere. Not 'your' problem, presuming you hire movers, but getting furniture (or later, replacement appliances if needed) up there might be tricky.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Ian, are you a closet time traveller?  The NCAA final was on April 8. (I can tell you who won.) 😉

DUH!!! NBA of course 🤣

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Re. older dogs:

My two (Schotty and Lucy) are definitely aging (Schotty is about 12 - 13 and Lucy about 14 - 15) but are doing well. Both are rather stiff in the morning and Schotty - like iD - has arthritis. I take diclofenac on a PRN basis, whilst Schotty gets a dose of a Cox2 inhibitor plus gabapentin (half a dose in the morning, a full dose in the evening). He also gets regular physiotherapy.

Lucy is now almost completely deaf - (although I sometimes wonder how much of Lucy's deafness is like Mrs iD's [ahem] "hearing limitations": i.e. selectively turned on and off!) and she still has intermittent GI problems and could stand to gain a kilo or two, but otherwise both she and Schotty are happy and pain free (the aches of aging excepting). At this rate we could see both Schotty and Lucy getting to 16 or so.

ION

In the ongoing saga of leaving Schloss i.D. for pastures new, we now have two candidates in mind: one, an existing penthouse (which covers the entire top floor of the building) and the other a yet-to-be-built state-of-the-art eco garden apartment. Both have positives and negatives.

Here are the two apartment footprints.

garden.jpg.29ded2e088c0057ccd6dd6b8ff3ca0da.jpg

Penthouse.jpg.64090844825ec393b90ab0f5ae87846c.jpg

I'm slightly more in favour of the penthouse, Mrs iD the garden apartment. The penthouse apartment is slightly larger at 170m2

Thoughts?

The second one; does it have access to a communal garden - or is there a public one very close by?  Private Gardens need maintenance, which may get more difficult with age - meaning getting someone to do it.  The design design of the first one is very boxy and a bit weird.

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

ION-2

I'm getting seriously cheesed off at the travel agent who arranged my trip to Japan last year.

I decided to use them again this year and I tasked them to (amongst other things) find me an advantageous Business Class fare to Japan using Asian airlines and novel routings (as our chum @jjb1970 has often spoken about) - so what do they do? They offer me two routings out of LHR at astronomical prices - the sort of price I would be quoted (as a non travel industry person) by booking on the airlines' own websites. I thought that travel agents could use their purchasing muscle and insider knowledge and status to get very advantageous fares (in this case, obviously not).

I had a go myself, and without much effort found a routing through Shanghai for 1/2 of the price of the cheapest flight offered by the travel agent! Unless they up their game, they may find themselves loosing a customer....

No doubt they're on a better earner with commission etc.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

The Moderna vaccine after effects have gone now and I feel normal (well, normal for me) again.  I went out and gave the garage another sweep so that the solar power system  technician doesn’t get bits of pink foam on his clothes. He will only be here for 30 minutes checking everything is ok.  The pink foam was from some scenic carving for the model railway layout in the garage. It doesn’t spread as much as the bobbly expanded polystyrene but it can still be messy.  Access to the batteries and inverter was still as it was when we had another battery fitted recently so I didn’t need to move much and there is nothing stored near the inverter and batteries . As the inspection is only 30 minutes I don’t think the roof panels get inspected. I assume if they haven’t fallen off and are generating the correct voltage they are ok. 
Tony

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I spoke to my sister a couple of days ago, my brother's estate has finally been sorted and his bungalow has been sold, that's over a year since he died. In fact although I say 'his' bungalow he only owned one fifth of it which he had inherited from his second wife who died a year before he did.  She inherited it from her first partner who owned it with four of his cousins. He died over forty years ago and tracing those four cousins or their heirs has proven difficult.  

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good evening everyone 

We’ve had another good day out today, lots of sunshine, even though there was a cool breeze. Disappointingly, the orchard area was closed, due to the ground being waterlogged, but we still managed to see some of the blossom. When we went to the cafe, it was closed for a refurbishment, but the did have a small temporary one in use, so we didn’t miss out on a drink or a slice, but FFS, it’s only 2 years old! We also came home with some more plants for the garden (and some more seeds), so, weather permitting, I think I’m going to be busy tomorrow. 

As anticipated, we spent the rest of the afternoon, relaxing and reading. We also did a spot of eyelid inspection too, I think all this fresh air is making us tired! 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium

If I may, I'd like to ask a  question of anyone here who uses Ocado (I searched for fresh white asparagus - tess'co sometimes have it, but in very thin pieces which are hard to peel - and I see Ocado have it, with prices for that and blood oranges which make the purveyor of custard tarts look cheap ) - Are they reliable in providing what you ordered ?

TIA. ĸen

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PupCam said:

Streamliner4.jpg.f6cca20c3cc09b04363d310a43f439a3.jpg

Sadly after seven years it looks as though he won't be going back.  Money I suspect.  Poo.

1 hour ago, zarniwhoop said:

If I may, I'd like to ask a  question of anyone here who uses Ocado (I searched for fresh white asparagus - tess'co sometimes have it, but in very thin pieces which are hard to peel - and I see Ocado have it, with prices for that and blood oranges which make the purveyor of custard tarts look cheap ) - Are they reliable in providing what you ordered ?

TIA. ĸen

At a guess I'd suggest "It all depends" - based on area, depot, how p1ssed off the staff are on that particular day etc. etc.

Perhaps they should be fined (a quid? - going to the Customer) for every item that's unavailable.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2