The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

A brief visit between chores as I'm off to take great grandson to nursery school shortly! Had a couple of bulbs go, and unusually don't have replacements in my stocks, so we'll have to fit in a visit to B&Q as its 'old f*rts discount' day!

Good luck with the tests Tony, let's hope you get the result you would wish for.

Hope the rest of the day goes well for you all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 14

Morning all! About 20 pages since I last checked in on Friday (?) so not much chance of catching up.  Commiserations and congratulations as usual!

Father's Day was spent at the Royal Highland Show with Jamie which was nice, an enjoyable day with just a couple of very light showers. I'm now on countdown to my long weekend in Copenhagen - still another 9 days to go, but I'm looking forward to it.

Also need to sort out stuff for Jamie's summer holiday - we're staying 2 nights in London, and 2 in Windsor.  Planning to do Lion King, LEGOLAND, Harry Potter studios, Tower of London, Windsor Castle...

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I haven't been to B&Q for a while. Most of the stuff that could have been obtained there we have got from a local garden centre. Not a lot of diy in the house has happened for a few years. I suspect that there will be some decorating once Aditi retires. I know how this will go, 'Now I can help you, shall we paint the kitchen, utility room, shed.....?'

It was like that when she completed her doctorate, she suddenly became aware of things that needed "doing"

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Also need to sort out stuff for Jamie's summer holiday - we're staying 2 nights in London, and 2 in Windsor. Planning to do Lion King, LEGOLAND, Harry Potter studios, Tower of London, Windsor Castle...

We always intended to take Matthew to Legoland but never did. Aditi did manage to take him round the Tower of London. Matthew said he now appreciates all the places we did take him to, usually NT with a picnic included. He also said that every trip out came with a soil types lecture. Aditi is rather enthusiastic about soil. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning(ish) all,

Somewhat delayed appearance here due to hair-cutting (by Mrs Stationmaster) and then a visit to Tesco - where we happened across the chap who was my immediate boss between 1986 and '89 so something of a chat developed as we haven't seen each other for a couple of years.

Jock as far as the Ratty is concerned they long had a policy of only allowing volunteer Drivers on diesels - which considering the nature of the line is quite sensible - however they do now have a couple of volunteer steam Drivers although I'm not sure if they might officially treat them as 'part time' and they are very useful for covering things like leave and sickness.  Doesn't make much difference in some respects provided they are up to scratch and are fully compliant with all the necessary standards and stuff my oppo and I spelt out in the Railway's SMS.

Have a  good day one & all - I'm now off to enjoy a sunny walk to the chiropractor.

• Like 1

Greetings all, I see bits if blue in between the white and grey clouds over Borough Market Junction.

It was Younger Lurker's sports day yesterday afternoon, which we watched. His house, Milne (they're named after authors), won, much to the delight of most of the kids and even more to the member of staff in charge of them! Younger Lurker ran in two races, the second of which, a relay, was won. He had a sticker with his name on indicating which races he was in so that the staff could make it run smoothly. His were 9 and 62 (which was the last race of all). This was just years 1 and 2. I guess that's what happens in a large school....

The boss has on gone on holiday which of course means everyone wants something done urgently. Making an offer on a couple of quoted companies in Chile probably hasn't eased the immediate workload....there's an awful lot to do now to ensure we can actually complete at the end of the offer period.

We took Elder Lurker to Legoland when he was about 2 1/2 or 3. He liked the miniature worlds, was too young for most rides and then fell asleep in his pushchair. We had a very pleasant sit on a bench in the sun looking at a lake!

Now, what was next on the long list of things I've been asked to deal with....?!

Have a good day, all

• Like 4

I forgot to mention earlier that as I was heading to bed last night there were loud fireworks in the area. I could just see some in the distance from the west of my flat - turns out on a bit of investigation that they were for the Forth Bridge's 125th anniversary and that Tornado was stopped in the middle of the bridge at the time the fireworks went off.  Wish I'd know in advance...!

Thanks for your best wishes.

Managed to obtain a suitable clothing voucher/card so her indoors well pleased. My present was an umpires gauge set - you use it to measure balls, bats, bails, stumps etc...(i "lost" the last one!)

Umpired a T20 schools final today at Hunslet Nelson cricket club. Shelley School beat St Peters' York.

Tomorrow I travel to Durham School to umpire (fond memories of playing rugby against them during my time at Henry Smiths' School in Old Hartlepool.

Friday is wire strangling day at "grantham" , Saturday I am at Sheffield Collegiate and Sunday (just for you Judge) I am in Hull (YPI).

But time to go and have a small tincture to celebrate our anniversary.

Have a nice night and sleep well!

Baz

Baz, do be very careful of the Hull Y.P.I. although I do appreciate you will be at their cricket ground.

On a fateful afternoon in 1962, my workmate and I were travelling towards Paragon station on his Vespa scooter, when we had to stop at the traffic lights adjacent to the Y.P.I. in George Street in Hull. I glanced across at a notice on the wall of the Y.P.I. "Learn to dance and meet new friends" it said. Thinking that a good idea, I went along to see the following week. The first week was fine but at the second week I met the woman who is now my wife. If only those lights had been at green, if only!

Edited by Judge Dread

HUMP day...

Not much to report save I'm working on creating a "slide show" of the holiday pics. Trying out various new (to me) tools to make it creative/more organized/easy to present. Good way to use up any "spare" time one might have for sure! At least it meant I didn't have to spend last evening modeling, I mean, who'd want to do THAT instead <sigh>

Continuing our lovely weather here, it's 17 and partly cloudy with a light breeze, heading for possibly 30 this afternoon.

"Carpe" what ever takes your fancy  :jester:

• Like 4

Of course, power steering  gives drivers the ability to dry steer (steering when stationary) which puts a huge amount of strain on the steering.and suspension.  It also screws holes in the tarmac, so if you have odd potholes on your driveway, now you know the reason why!

I have tried explaining this to other drivers (no names, no pack drill) but am normally rewarded with a blank look!

• Like 1

I am afraid to report that the weather in North Wales is hardly summery. Cooler than I have become used to of late, murky ( I can't see the top of the power station chimney) and a little breezy.

Somewhat peeved that Morrisons have erected barriers, on the entry to the car park at their Holyhead store, that are 150mm lower than the motor home. Apparently it's to stop it being used as an unofficial truck stop for the port. Tesco have a multi storey and Asda is very small, so I drove out to the camp site and went back on the bike. However, there was no way I was doing the big shop for which Steph had sent me a rather long list!

Please excuse typos. I am on an open network so am using my ipad (which has nothing on it) rather than my laptop.

Edited by Killybegs

• RMweb Gold

It was like that when she completed her doctorate, she suddenly became aware of things that needed "doing"

Tony

It might be a good idea to suggest that retirement would be a real opportunity to start that second doctorate she has always wanted to do.

• Like 2

Cue "Doctor, Doctor ..." jokes.

Actually, that is a correct form of address in Germany for people with two doctorates - Herr (or Frau) Doktor Doktor.

Evening all. I hope all are well. Just thought I would check in quickly whilst waiting for Amber to drop off to sleep. I would like to apologise in advance for the rather negative post, but I have more than had enough with everything today.

I suppose I should find a positive with the day. The observed lesson is over and done with. It seemed to go ok. The head was due to come in for the start at 9.30, but arrived twenty minutes early which threw me a little. He promised to give feedback at lunch time, then delayed it until the end of the day, and then forgot all about it. I was a bit disappointed, but not unduely concerned. I am sure it will come tomorrow.

Later I got cornered by the chair of the parent's association asking for help. She had been let down by the person who should been organising the adult races at the summer fair on Saturday and wanted me to do it. Since I have signed up to help for an hour, most of which will be spent in the stocks I declined. She didn't want to take no for an answer despite my response that I was already organising Sports Day the day before, giving up after school time for the school football team the night before that and would also be soaking from my stint in the stocks. It would be nice to have seen a few more volunteers for the stocks from within the staff too as only mysel, the head and one other have agreed to do it.

The staff meeting was cut short which should have meant an early getaway. No such luck as I got cornered by a member of staff wanting advice. That took five minutes before a half hour long monologue came my way which I couldn't escape from.

I arrived home to observe new cat chasing a moth around the garden. It was funny at first until said feline decided to throw up all over the lounge and Amber's toys. Sarah then decided she wanted my help sorting boxes out in the garage whilst I was cleaning the mess up. She wouldn't wait even though I was scrubbing the floor and Armber's bedtime approached.

The most annoying thing followed a text from my mum inviting us for tea next week. Sarah has flatly refused to go. I know she is annoyed about the Christening, but she also claims that my mum has "knocked back" loads of invitations to come round to us and seems to spend more time helping my brother.

Once again I feel stuck in the middle. Really not in a good mood right now. Rant over!

Evening all. Had some bad news today, my older brother died this morning. I don't know the cause yet but he had a battle with cancer a while back. He was ten years older than me so must have been seventy eight, I think it was his birthday last week. We were not very close probably due to the age difference but still a sad day for me. I still have an older sister and a younger brother, again not especially close. If you are a smoker please have a good think about giving up.

Stay safe all.

Evening all. Had some bad news today, my older brother died this morning. I don't know the cause yet but he had a battle with cancer a while back. He was ten years older than me so must have been seventy eight, I think it was his birthday last week. We were not very close probably due to the age difference but still a sad day for me. I still have an older sister and a younger brother, again not especially close. If you are a smoker please have a good think about giving up.

Stay safe all.

Sorry to hear that Geoff - my thoughts are with you...