The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

First of all, sorry to hear your news Geoff.

It is rather cloudy this morning, but the forecast assures us that it will brighten up later on (as it did yesterday).

Today will be a day of meetings!

Time for a cup of tea.  Have a good day everyone...

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Sunny again, with 27 forecast for today. 29 for tomorrow.

Geoff - very sorry to hear your news. Cancer and smoking have been linked since I was very young, but smokers have a tough time dealing with it. Deb smoked almost all her adult life - but when cancer took her, the lungs were still in good shape. It was the (unused) lady's bits that went bad.

As for in-laws, Deb's family were never too much in my face, nor mine in hers. And when Sherry and I tie the knot it will be her kids who will become the new in-laws. Initial meetings have been favourable.

Alison here again today. She will arrive late as she has a new volunteer chez elle, and he needs to be shown a few ropes this morning. Apparently he strimmed the patch around the raspberries yesterday in the afternoon heat, so is not idle.

Hope your week on target.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear the news Geoff

Yesterday, I rang my friend who has the lukeimia back. Was a very difficult conversation. He wants to go out and do things such as visit the Bluebell but at the moment hes too weak to do so. Just hope he can get some strenght back before the cancer sets in for the last time.

Working from home otday as loads to do and the office is too noisy.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Lots to do today and no time to do some of it.

Weather looks OK and it seems that the deluges forecast for Sunday in Hull won't be happening so lots of umpiring to do.

Have a great Thursday everyone.

Squidling looks a happy soul! Trying to work out how to send him a silver coin for wealth...might have to be an IOU!

Baz

• Like 17

Mornin' all,

Condolences to Geoff

Dry, mild and overcast for the 6am short anticlockwise constitutional in The Moorlands. The foxgloves are out as the cow parsley fades and the scent of freshly mown or drying grass perpetually accompanies these Summer rides....a joy to be alive on such days.

I was told that the only applicant for our vicar's post was lazy, smelly, of such proportions as to threaten the furniture and with a sick record to match....shouldn't be too difficult with the interview later. Thankfully he has withdrawn his application and we may be in line for a much more suitable candidate.

Even with several 3/4 day holidays interspersed, the wait for the results of Is's last scans is difficult.

Now music by Amy McDonald....This is the life

Feathered ones provided for....another feeder stripped down for disinfecting/cleaning

I've just edited the camcorder footage for the recent trip.....the Brecon Mountain Railway.....Brecon Beacons NP scenery, reservoir nr Talybont-on-Usk....Brecon & Montgomeryshire canal at Talybont....Llantony Priory, Offa's Dyke at this point is the ridge top beyond the Priory.....Border scenery above Hay-on-Wye....River Teme Ludlow

I'm unable to speed up the wait for the final diagnosis for Is so I've settled for keeping her spirits up....here is evidence of her pub going tendencies....this time at the attractive bar at Llantony Priory

post-7795-0-60983100-1435232775.jpg

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 4

The spring failure problem Dick experienced was interesting. I was going to suggest it was most likely the result of corrosion. After a bit of poking around I stumbled upon this, from the AA no less.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/coil-springs-breaking.html

My dad had a series of Vauxhalls until he was talked into buying one of those extremely ugly Ford Zephyrs with the swing-axle rear suspension and useless V-6 engine. Must have been around 1967. Anyway, after he sold it, one of the rear coil springs eviscerated a tire when it broke.

After that he had a Fiat 125S. The clutch had to be replaced at one point, and on its return I happened to notice that the minkeys at the Fiat dealer had left out one of the four big bolts that attached the gearbox to the engine!

Then there was the time the VW dealership "fixed" the brakes on our Vanagon by machining both rear brake-drums eccentric.

I once took a Ford Crown Vic to a brake place to have the emergency brake (hand brake) looked at. The guy told me I'd need new rear calipers. "They all do that" he said. I told him to order up the parts and I'd bring the car back tomorrow. I had a repair manual for it, and when I got home, I took a look at it. Turns out the emergency brake has bu66er all to do with the calipers. It has its own little drum brake built into the rear rotors. I let the brake place know I was not a happy camper.

The best one was the time I took my brand-new Volvo V70 XC back to the dealer for its very first service - a sixty mile round trip. When I got back to my office, I happened to notice one of the wheels was missing a bolt! I was able to expand the service manager's vocabulary quite a bit.

Am I just unlucky? Perhaps, but if I can do the job myself, I will.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Lovely morning here.

Today's main activity will be drinking 4 litres of bowel cleanser. I think taking Robbie for a walk first may be sensible!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from damp and misty red dragon land.

Condolences Geoff on losing your brother.  Hope you can remember happier days together.

All the best, Jock, for your appointment.

Gorgeous little railsquid you've got there, railsquid.

Dick, I could've taken some of that advice you've just poured out and paraphrased it thus:

1) Stop thinking you're still  21

2) Meaning stop chasing trains to get photos or

3) Stop standing all day watching them come and go and sit down occasionally when told to do so

4) Which means stop trying to be clever.

A mixed week and more on standard and miniature railways and my knees are paying the price!

Not too old to learn though.  :jester:

Don't over do it, today, folks! 

Edited by southern42
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The preferred method here is to be awake but chemically relaxed for the procedure. The hospital I go to for the investigation seems to have such pleasant staff. I have been very impressed at the way I have seen them deal with difficult patients.

• Like 10

The only applicant for our vicar's post is reputed to be lazy, smelly, of such proportions as to threaten the furniture and with a sick record to match..

I think I saw him at a model railway exhibition.

• Like 1

Morning all.

Condolences to Geoff

And let's hope Jock's monthly oncology appointment goes well.

I can see blue skies with a little white cloud further away over Borough Market Junction. But I won't get to enjoy it because I'll be dealing with a half a dozen things in relation to our negotiations with HMRC and with the Chilean deal. But then that's what I'm paid for so I shouldn't complain!

I've never had springs go in a car but I was driving my first car (Datsun/Nissan Sunny Estate 1.5GL - it had been the family car) when it started making alarming creaking noises. I parked it up outside the office to drop something off and when I came back to move it (on double yellows!) it wouldn't move. Now I am in no way a car expert, so I called the RAC out. They kindly put the lead back in the starter motor.....and then pointed out that one of the bolts holding the engine mounting in place had come out and that the others were all loose. About 6 months previous to that I'd had a crash (into a small sapling) that had pushed the engine back...and when this had been fixed the work hadn't been completed properly.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Good luck Tony with your examination, hope that they find nothing amiss. Just watched the skip being collected, quite a palaver as of necessity it had to be placed at right angles to the road which is quite narrow with the neighbours fence and a lamp post opposite. The skip lorry must have been brand new as even the load bed was pristine, not even a scratch.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The most unusual car breakdown I suffered was when I was driving in my Mk. II Fiesta when all the electrics went dead. Luckily there was no traffic and I was able to coast into the kerb. After a bit of head scratching I noticed that part of the wiring loom had become dislodged and fallen against the hot exhaust manifold, melting the insulation and causing a short. The plastic clip retaining the wire had become brittle and disintegrated.

• Like 1

Morning all from damp and misty red dragon land.

I can confirm that it is misty, particularly on the coast. The fog horn on the foreland has been going all night.

Condolences to Geoff, I hope all goes well today Jock.

There is a B&B attached to the campsite, so I availed of the Full Welsh breakfast this morning, that should set me up for the rest of the day!

My ferry appears to be due to sail on time, so I will do a little cleaning up in my little home and head down to the Ferryport.

My next check in should be from home, inshallah!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

My minor misfortunes recently all pale into insignificance when compared to some of these posted here over the last few days. 

Geoff, sorry to hear of your brother's passing - even estranged (or part estranged) relatives leave a big gap. 

Jock - has that time come round again?  Do hope all is well.  You do seem to be making some sort of record with your treatment - long may it continue.

Many years ago, I had a breakdown with a Mini (a proper Mini) when all the electrics failed, and when I opened the bonnet, I couldn't find anything to indicate what had happened, so I opened the boot where the battery was located, and the acid in the battery was boiling, and there was steam pouring from the filler caps.  The main mattery lead passed through a hole in the bulkhead, and the protection was a rubber grommet, which had perished, and the insulation on the lead had abraded until it formed a dead short.   As I moved this the sparking set fire to the insulation in the boot as well, though it stopped quickly.   That was most frightening.

Must go now, as domestics call.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 4

Morning all,

Evening all. Had some bad news today, my older brother died this morning. I don't know the cause yet but he had a battle with cancer a while back. He was ten years older than me so must have been seventy eight...

My condolences, Geoff. I hope that it is some consolation that he made it to 78, longer than many.

The preferred method here is to be awake but chemically relaxed for the procedure. The hospital I go to for the investigation seems to have such pleasant staff. I have been very impressed at the way I have seen them deal with difficult patients.

It is a medical truism that there are two kinds of analgesia: with the first you don't feel the pain, the second is where you do feel the pain but you are so chemically relaxed that you don't care!!! Anyway, good luck on that front.

In August I'm off to have my patella (knee-cap) opened, rotated, shaved flat, a silicon button attached, unrotated and then sewn back up. Four to five days in hospital and no PT or rehab. I am looking forward to it: 5 days without having to cook a meal once (plus, of course, the narcotic analgesics). Stoned AND fed at the same time. Bliss!

Yesterday the dog psychologist/vet came to check-up on my two insane mutts: compared with 3 months ago Lucy has made amazing progress (but she still goes out muzzled "just in case"), but she and Schotty have developed a very bad behaviour, if Schotty meets another dog he doesn't like, he barks at the other dog and Lucy lunges forward as if to attack. It almost as though they are a tag team! Mind you, Schotty also barks at other dogs when out alone (but to a lesser degree). And to think we had hoped that Lucy would have been a calming influence on the Hairy Monster....

This week has been off from work, so that I would use up my legally mandated holiday time (as opposed to working until end of contract and then getting holiday paid out in lieu, which would have been my preference). I also learnt that once you formally inform the unemployment bureau that you plan to start a business, you get 90 days of unemployment benefits (and don't forget I have been paying years of unemployment insurance) and then That's It, no more unemployment money, no help in getting you through the hard start up patch, basically f*ck all. One would have thought they would be supportive and encouraging, but no, nothing. Not even courses or seminars or assistance of any form. From what I can gather (from all the rules and regulations) the system was set up a long time ago, when unemployment amongst the university educated was almost non-existent, to help manual workers to find jobs. The system has not been updated in any meaningful degree since (it appears to me) the 1950s. Foe example: I "have to be available to start work immediately". Don't these clowns realise how long it takes to get hired for a position requiring higher qualifications? (at least several weeks).

My opinion of Swiss bureaucracy (at least this part of it) is less than positive....

Anyway, the sun is shining, I'm off to pay for my new laptop and buy some lunch, then take the Wolfpack out for individual walks (part of their new psychotherapy regimen)

Have a good one...

iD

Edited by iL Dottore

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Best of luck for those attending/preparing for appointments with their various body mechanics - good job most of them are normally far more careful than those in the motor trade although to be honest the worst I've had thus far have been two totally misdiagnosed problems on the 407 at a Peugeot main dealer - both correctly diagnosed and sorted by small companies who really knew their stuff.  And a problem with my first GS Pallas which first  manifested itself enroute to the ferry and led to misfiring etc while in France - taken in to a small Citroen garage in a village where the right hooker was a source of great interest and amusement to all the mechanics and the problem was quickly identified as the plus leads not being properly secured after servicing and one had dropped onto the exhaust manifold melting the insulation; duly fixed at an amazingly reasonable cost and the part cost about 60% less than in England.

Condolences Geoff - the perils of smoking are indeed well advertised but giving it up is not as simple as it sounds and I had several goes over the years.  I finally managed to smoke my last (up to now) cigarette on 14 December 1998 and being unwell at the time I duly went cold turkey, and finished up with a collapsed lung and a couple of months off work (apart from stuff I did at home).  According to one medico a possible consequence of 'stopping just like that' if you happen to be a heavy smoker is exactly what happened to me - interesting one that.

Anyway have a  good day folks.

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all from a sunny Gateway to The World.

Condolences to Geoff. Best wishes to those undergoing or preparing for medical procedures.

I don't drive but do remember a trip with Dad from Potters Bar to Bangor in his Cavalier. It soon became obvious all was not well as the ignition and electrics cut out at just over 60mph. As the car slowed it all came on again, so we were limited to a max of 60. This was followed by oil smoke but the engine was running ok. Opening the bonnet showed that oil had been coming out of the breather pipe and burning on the exhaust. As it was running ok we carried on, putting in more oil at regular intervals (several 1 litre bottles at motorway prices). Cousin's garage in Bangor couldn't find what was wrong so we stocked up on cheap oil and came back the same way. Dad's garage had to strip the oil system down completely as it also served the power steering and I don't know what else. They eventually found a  pipe blocked with sludge. We had left a trail of oil smoke across the West Midlands, Cheshire and North Wales. I believe driving like that is now illegal.

We used AA Relay once when Mrs mole's Sierra Sapphire blew its engine near Eastleigh, going to High Wycombe. When we got there for a much delayed dinner MIL invited the Relay driver to join us.

Today's shopping expedition may involve a visit to the model shop to see if a certain loco has arrived, and possibly a brief sojourn on Eastleigh station. Beer may will also be taken.

Have a good day.

Pete

• Like 17

Many years ago, I had a breakdown with a Mini (a proper Mini) when all the electrics failed, and when I opened the bonnet, I couldn't find anything to indicate what had happened, so I opened the boot where the battery was located, and the acid in the battery was boiling, and there was steam pouring from the filler caps.  The main mattery lead passed through a hole in the bulkhead, and the protection was a rubber grommet, which had perished, and the insulation on the lead had abraded until it formed a dead short.   As I moved this the sparking set fire to the insulation in the boot as well, though it stopped quickly.   That was most frightening.

A common fault on the real Mini.

Late one night back in the late 70s/ early 80s while out with my parents, we caught on up on the A21, every time he went over a bump, there was a big flash from under the car, and the lights dimmed.

Of course, it would never be allowed today. The battery on one side of the boot, and the fuel tank on the other!

• Like 1

Commiserations to Geoff and Andy, good luck to Jock!

Busy time for us at the moment at work.  Thank goodness Parliament goes into recess after the close of business tonight.  I have a meeting this afternoon (all afternoon) on population projections which should be a hoot...  They've sent me a pack of papers an inch thick which I stood no chance of reading!

Lightengine - thanks for the recommendation for the Rainforest Café... think after Harry Potter and the other places I'm going to need a new mortgage... I'll maybe ask what they can do for someone with PKU as a special treat for Jamie - they seem to be allergy aware etc but maybe not PKU aware!

I see the ad at the bottom of my screen is for the Perth show this weekend. I'd forgotten about it to be honest, but may trundle up on Saturday...

• Like 11

I forgot to mention earlier that as I was heading to bed last night there were loud fireworks in the area. I could just see some in the distance from the west of my flat - turns out on a bit of investigation that they were for the Forth Bridge's 125th anniversary and that Tornado was stopped in the middle of the bridge at the time the fireworks went off.  Wish I'd know in advance...!

Aww! Fancy me forgetting The Bridge's birthday!

Here's a reconstruction of a card ! made earlier, for its 60th ...

post-7286-0-79950500-1435230223_thumb.jpg

• Like 17