The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all. I am going to apologise tonight. I left home at 04:30 this morning and have only just got home from Worcester. There is not enough coffee to help me through todays posts so I'm having to give generic congratulations, commiserations etc.

Night all. Another ER tomorrow

I think I can book that as close enough! The T4D cars for Leipzig were configured with conducting couplers so as to power the second motor car from the first, using only the first car's pantograph. This was done to avoid problems with OHLE current draw sensors which at the time were used for point setting.

The selector technically controls which of the couplers has the power supply conduit enabled, based on the following settings:

Single motor car: 1 (no traction power supply)

Motor car with trailer: 3 (rear coupler enabled, trailer attached)

Two motor cars: 2 (rear coupler enabled) and 4 (forward coupler enabled)

Two motor cars with trailer: 2, 0 (both couplers enabled)

Three motor cars: 2, 0, 4

Though in formations of three motor cars, the third is merely towed like a trailer so as to not overload the OHLE feed.

Think bvb/bvg k(?)t4d's are similar?

• RMweb Premium

The spring failure problem Dick experienced was interesting. I was going to suggest it was most likely the result of corrosion. After a bit of poking around I stumbled upon this, from the AA no less.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/coil-springs-breaking.html

My dad had a series of Vauxhalls until he was talked into buying one of those extremely ugly Ford Zephyrs with the swing-axle rear suspension and useless V-6 engine. Must have been around 1967. Anyway, after he sold it, one of the rear coil springs eviscerated a tire when it broke.

After that he had a Fiat 125S. The clutch had to be replaced at one point, and on its return I happened to notice that the minkeys at the Fiat dealer had left out one of the four big bolts that attached the gearbox to the engine!

Then there was the time the VW dealership "fixed" the brakes on our Vanagon by machining both rear brake-drums eccentric.

I once took a Ford Crown Vic to a brake place to have the emergency brake (hand brake) looked at. The guy told me I'd need new rear calipers. "They all do that" he said. I told him to order up the parts and I'd bring the car back tomorrow. I had a repair manual for it, and when I got home, I took a look at it. Turns out the emergency brake has bu66er all to do with the calipers. It has its own little drum brake built into the rear rotors. I let the brake place know I was not a happy camper.

The best one was the time I took my brand-new Volvo V70 XC back to the dealer for its very first service - a sixty mile round trip. When I got back to my office, I happened to notice one of the wheels was missing a bolt! I was able to expand the service manager's vocabulary quite a bit.

Am I just unlucky? Perhaps, but if I can do the job myself, I will.

Thanks for the link.

The front nearside coil spring went on our Fiesta a short while back and one of these arrived to rescue us.

post-14049-0-06165600-1435265254.jpg

It made quite a picture on the road so I decided, there and then, that I would have to model the scene once I get GWRd up and running.  I've sourced a mechanic but I may have to use my red mini instead of a Fiesta unless someone decides to produce one in 1:76 scale.

• Like 13

Evening all,

Regret I'm really weary again and I can't see me catching up with everything anytime soon. I offer the usual commiserations/congratulations to all, and I will try to get up to date by the end of the weekend!

I had very good news from my oncology consultation again today - all my blood readings are within limits, and although there is some evidence from the nuclear scan report that the bone cancer appears to be creeping down my thigh bones, the advance is being slowed by the chemo, and they've given me another five weeks supply(to accommodate our short holiday in Suffolk!)! The oncologist is amazed that I am still able to withstand the side effects after all this time - so am I, as I must confess that I've rather abused my body over many years. Net result is that you might have to put up with me for a while longer! Just had to celebrate by imbibing some 'bubbly'!!

Busy looking taxi service again tomorrow, but things should be a little quieter on Saturday and Sunday!

Poet's day will be with us shortly so let's hope the sayin comes rue for all our workers.

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Good news there Jock.

I have managed to swallow three litres of bowel cleanser. The flavour added to make the mixture palatable is not very nice. Allegedly vanilla but not vanilla from this planet! One can add cordial if required. I did. This stuff is the kinder version for older people allegedly rather than the stuff I have had to use in the past. It is less vigorous but not less yucky. I don't feel at all hungry but I suspect I may enjoy something by tomorrow afternoon!

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

G'night Jock and glad you had some good news.

Tomorrow's job is to finish turning up a pair of trousers.  I've had them ages, but never got round to wearing them.  With the Official Opening of the railway at West Shore, I thought I ought to dress up a bit as I'm more likely to be platform staff than anything else.  Red bandana to go round the neck is in the post so hope it turns up tomorrow.  May have to do without a hat in the absence of anything small enough - last seen looking in the kiddies section for a Thomas hat..... :jester:

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Brekkie prepared, including much-needed coffee!

Think bvb/bvg k(?)t4d's are similar?

I do not currently know how exactly the BVG KT4Ds are configured, but I suspect they should have a similar kind of selector! It's also interesting to note that originally, CKD had, according to my information, refused to actually install the traction power circuitry for 1st to 2nd car supply on the T4Ds even on request by the then People-Owned Leipzig Transport Company, instead merely preparing the cars accordingly and supplying the required parts for the company to install at their own workshops. Funnily, CKD did go on to adopt this feature for later types.

The KT4 was also offered with either the standard accelerator, or with thyristor choppers as first offered for the T6A2 cars. Leipzig did obtain a small batch of eight KT4Ds for evaluation but decided not to procure further cars as they were found to not be suitable for both the network as such and the existing maintenance facilities. More specifically, they were too long for the maintenance stands to have existed at the time, and due to their articulated bodies and track spacing had clearance issues on too many locations on the network. In many places, crossings of two KT4D cars needed to be prohibited, complicating operations.

Edited by 1216 025

I’ve just realized that we have 75 people coming to dinner on Sunday. I am assured that a 30’ by 20’ Dining Room is sufficient because it will be buffet with seven round tables instead of one long one.

Of course our second floor A/C decided to quit today............wait for tech tomorrow (it’s the compressor, even I figured that out).

Best, Pete.

Morning all. Another ER, but at least it's the end of the week.

Great to see the excellent news from Jock.

Hopefully POETS day but that isn't guaranteed.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Damp day in carlisle earlier, heading south now on a pendolino, 9th time in as many days, same job again tonight but at the end of it tomorrow im going to the caravan which thankfully is only 20 mins from kingmoor

Racing south to get home so i can get the eldest to his induction day at his new high school, a hig day for him, hes very nervous as can be expected!

• Like 6

Mornin' all,

Very best of health to everyone

Contrary dawn in The Moorlands....an 06.15 promising start to the constitutional was met with raindrops starting to fall from a sky which seemed too bright to be capable....with this false hope I set off anyway and was rained on for the full hour of the short anticlockwise, however, as I arrived home again it stopped....#@&$ocks!!

Now music by Lulu....The boat that I row

The garden is in full flow with the various mock orange scents wafting around....this morning

post-7795-0-15674000-1435305481.jpg

....several weeks ago

post-7795-0-40763800-1435305531.jpg

Good to see Mr & Mrs bullfinch on the feeders simultaneously followed by redpoll, goldfinch and greenfinch....a colourful start.

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 18

A couple of rants yesterday got noticed and there's action.

I've been arguing since February for a certain course of action, but it seems that yesterday's well chosen words (my view) had an effect.

Good to see the news from Jock.

• Like 18

Morning All,

I am slightly later on parade this morning. I got to work to find an e-mail waiting for me from my Boss, that required immediate attention.

Great news Jock! It is not a question of "putting up with you". We enjoy your company here on ERs - long may that last!

It is quite a nice sunny morning here.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stick with it Jock!

Off to wife's work to meet up with one of my team for the weekend - Nobby(John) - for a full brekkie. Then it's off to Perth Ex.

Have a good weekend folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

G'night Jock and glad you had some good news.

Tomorrow's job is to finish turning up a pair of trousers.  I've had them ages, but never got round to wearing them.  

They will be happy with that.

After so long I suspect they felt they'd been turned down!

• Like 3