The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

As we progressed down the N 141 and then the N10 by pure chance we performed a unique opening ceremony.  We saw a sign for an Aire and pulled off.  It was deserted with just a few workmen putting what appeared to be finishing touches to the toilet block.   I asked if they were open and as they said yes we made use of the facilities.  Then a short picnic and the boss of the gang came and chatted and told us that we were the very first people to use the Aire.  If my French had been up to it I would have asked where the mayor and the band were to celebrate us performing the opening ceremony.  Shades of Clochemerle.  Anyway I took a photo in the circumstances.

True story... around a decade ago I was wandering across Berlin's Alexanderplatz when I espied an oompah-style band and some kind of Official Do going on... it was the mayor opening a new (well, heavily refurbished) public toilet. Here's a report with picture (in German). No, I didn't get to try it. The new version costs money. (And by the way, the linked newspaper is one I spent about 2 years selling in cafes and restaurants, financing my studies, in a dim and distant era before this internet thingy).

• Like 13

Morning all (I probably need a replacement/different greeting since for 99% of you are in mid-afternoon by the time I post <sigh>, oh well)

Quiet yesterday, just the usual working-stiff stuff - actually much "waiting" for various fixes/corrections/instructions/security access for several clients, so an amount of eBay/RMWeb browsing as well...

Our small home projects contractor, Evan - Mrs refer to him as "...what a nice young man..." - started on the repairs/painting of the back screened porch yesterday, which meant we had to go last evening to Home Depot (our equivalent of B&Q etc.) to choose paint colours. Pretty much the SAME as already used, but a slight change in tint for one of them...

The evening also saw additional work continue apace on the "slide show", and I managed a BONUS hour or so with JMRI and building my roster.

Lovely day again here at 19, clear skies and no breeze, heading for only 28, so will be delightful even though I'll be inside working.

Enjoy your day.

• Like 12

I'm so sorry to hear that your older brother has died, Geoff.

Have just been to see my 90-year old father in Croydon and have chatted about a Power of Attorney - just in case. He seems quite keen but we'll see how keen by how long it takes him to visit his lawyer.

So, train from East Croydon (Hi PeteC) to St Pancras Thameslink, and now sitting outside the Betjemen Arms in St Pancras, watching the Eurostars and typing this over a pint of Camden Pale (but pricey) ale whilst waiting for the 4pm KX-Edinburgh. What better way of spending an afternoon - well, apart from being a Mediterranean beach, or at an open air bar in Berlin, or at a beach Taverna in Greece?

Mike (sisoh8sixoh) sounds like your holiday in London is fully organized - busy time...

Having had a carp (anag) summer so far in Edinburgh it's great to enjoy the summery heat of London. Hope yours is good, too.

Mal

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

PKU was a new one on me - had to look it up.  Surprised I hadn't heard of it from my NHS - or maybe I did, and middle age has destroyed more brain cells than I thought!

I didn't really know about it until we had a child.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Knackered right now, so the sofa shall be my favourite location tonight!

Nerdy pop quiz:

On our Tatra cars, there's a MU control selector on the control desk with settings 0, 1, – , 2, 3 and 4.

Question one: What exactly does this selector act upon?

Question two: Which settings do you need to select for: Single motor car – one motor car with trailer – two motor cars – two motor cars with trailer – three motor cars?

• Like 1

Having had a carp (anag) summer so far in Edinburgh 

Ah yes - "Crapy Diem". A common problem, particularly in Greenock.

You can get too much of a good thing though. It was 112F (44C) when we drove through Las Vegas the other day.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. Knackered right now, so the sofa shall be my favourite location tonight!

Nerdy pop quiz:

On our Tatra cars, there's a MU control selector on the control desk with settings 0, 1, – , 2, 3 and 4.

Question two: Which settings do you need to select for: Single motor car – one motor car with trailer – two motor cars – two motor cars with trailer – three motor cars?

Coffee strength? Which pantograph is selected? Phaser beam intensity?

Route selector?

• Like 2

AA Relay. Took 15 hours and four lorries to get me back to Hitchin from near Ferrybridge once, plus I got fed up with them trying to sell me books. Been with the RAC since and mostly been very impressed by their chaps.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Coffee strength? Which pantograph is selected? Phaser beam intensity?

Route selector?

Nope :jester: . It's the rotating selector above the air con regulator I'm referring to:

img_3051x2j1h.jpg

Points are set using the three blue buttons lettered with "W" and arrows left, straight and right, between the handlebar and the ITCS device (with the multicoloured touch screen). These point setting buttons are required only for non-timetabled services such as stock positioning as well as depot egress and ingress, or when no pre-programmed routes exist as in the event of short-term detours due to road closures.

Regular routes for the individual lines are pre-programmed in the terminals as well as all points along the lines' regular routes (and only these).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's a long way from a 'K' controller.....

What's that?

Also interesting to note that Tatra trams are essentially derivatives of the American PCC trams, and as built thus are equipped with power and brake pedals.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a still very sunny farm north of Pau and south of Mont de Marsan.  Just a few pics from out bike ride this morning.

We went from the farm down to the banks of the Adour and came upon this lovely old mill that's in need of  a bit of tlc.

post-6824-0-02736100-1435255624_thumb.jpg

Here's the girls Beth on the left and our hostess Monique on the right crossing the Adour on the way home over Eiffel's bridge.

post-6824-0-49393200-1435255634_thumb.jpg

Then on a small detour to avoid the main road We came to this railway crossing.  It's the line south from Mont de Marsin towards Pau.  According to our host Gerard they have tried running some tourist trains on it and then for a few years it was semi privatised and used to transport cereals in the harvest season but they haven't seen a train for some time.

post-6824-0-83270000-1435255644_thumb.jpg

The gates and lights for the minor road crossing were still intact.

Jamie

• Like 16

Evening all. Just sat in the garden on the laptop enjoying the cooling breeze and a few quiet moments before Sarah and Amber arrive back from her mum's later this evening. Well, I say peace and quiet - the family over the back are as loud as always. The peace is being disturbed by the mother roaring at one child to get in the shower  whilst the lad in question is screaming back he has already had one! The response was to get back downstairs and get his dad a drink out of the fridge - the said father clearly being too lazy to walk the ten paces from his chair to the kitchen! I had to smile at that one!

Work has been ok. Still little feedback from the observed lesson, although a form was thrust into my hand as I raced out of the door to an after school football match at the end of the day. I think that is the paper version of the feedback so I will read it later.

The football went well enough, both games were close. After leading 1-0, we lost our first game 2-1. There was a bit of a bitter taste though as, at 1-0 up, their defender fell in his own box - grabbed the ball with both hands to take it away from our striker and then let it go as he swung his foot - the ref waved play on and gave a corner when another defender knocked the ball out of play. A clear penalty! Never mind. The pleasing thing was we tried to play football the right way despite the pitch being tight and uneven. We certainly looked the better side at times and were well worth a result. At least we drew the second game 1-1, although we led that game too.

The parent situation is still not sorted here despite long conversations last night. I think this one will run and run.

Speaking of Eiffel, this just arrived.

post-25691-0-03910000-1435256844_thumb.jpg

Slightly ironic that Michelin would advertise tires on a vehicle with "iron" wheels (unless they were promoting their pneumatic rail wheels again.)

• Like 12

What's that?

Also interesting to note that Tatra trams are essentially derivatives of the American PCC trams, and as built thus are equipped with power and brake pedals.

Had the opportunity to drive both rebuilt and original bvb tatras in der Haupstadt in aprox 1998. :-)

Is the selector to enable the controlling cab? (or shunting panel)?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Current collection?

I think I can book that as close enough! The T4D cars for Leipzig were configured with conducting couplers so as to power the second motor car from the first, using only the first car's pantograph. This was done to avoid problems with OHLE current draw sensors which at the time were used for point setting.

The selector technically controls which of the couplers has the power supply conduit enabled, based on the following settings:

Single motor car: 1 (no traction power supply)

Motor car with trailer: 3 (rear coupler enabled, trailer attached)

Two motor cars: 2 (rear coupler enabled) and 4 (forward coupler enabled)

Two motor cars with trailer: 2, 0 (both couplers enabled)

Three motor cars: 2, 0, 4

Though in formations of three motor cars, the third is merely towed like a trailer so as to not overload the OHLE feed.