The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The motorhome has been emptied, cleaned and washed and put away ready for the next trip, which will probably be to go in for its CVRT (commercial MoT). 

I take it CVRT doesn't involve being fitted with tracks??

Apologies - CVR(T) is Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked) aka Scorpion or Scimitar a 4 ton light tank with (now ) a 30mm gun in a turret which is cosy for two people. It did have a jaguar petrol engine but they have fitted a diesel instead(shame) - otherwise known as a "Dinky Toy" .

Anyway - trip to wire strangle completed successfully. (I think!). 

Youngest Herbert is a now a full time employee of a certain company who's beer reaches parts that others don't.

This weekend I am off to Sheffield Collegiate (Sat) and Hull (Sun) so could be another 210 overs of umpiring coming my way!

Enjoy the rest of Friday!

Baz

edited to add Dinky Toy reference

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Ian, I can appreciate Gemma's feelings and her skills.  I once was on a flight (TWA, they were awful...) to the US that I wondered if I was going to walk off....only 707 I flew on, 197....????8????

I read the AAIB (Air Accident Investigation Board) reports every month, keeps it in your mind how much pilots have to cope with on occasion.

Evening all….Hopefully I'll catch up tomorrow, so apologies if there has been sadness in our ranks.  

Just flown back from Spain.  Two and half hours from Malaga to Gatwick.  Sadly the M25 and all the SW corner was all but a car park and no matter which road I took, it was stop/go the whole way.  Eventually took three and a half hours for a 45 minute journey.

Bonkers!

Glad to be back home and in my own bed tonight…:-)

• RMweb Gold

Caveats prior to the post;

i) I know plenty of folks have medical issues which certainly rank highest amongst any concerns and I am always admiring the spirit those folks have in handling their lives.

ii) I accept plenty of folks have jobs that mean they have members of the public lives' in their hands

iii) I'm sure several folks have seen similar situations and are grateful to have come through them

iv) I know some folks consider pilots glorified bus drivers (no disrespect to bus/train drives etc.) but the difference that third dimension makes means they are more likely to truly have the lives of their passengers in their hands than pretty much all other modes of public transport operators

I just got off the phone with Jemma, she'd called to "check in" since she figured I may be wondering why her schedule had changed and that she'd texted me the change at 3AM!!

They had a schedule change yesterday and ended up flying their last leg of the day from Seattle to Denver, and they flight inbound was already running two hours late, so they departed later than expected with an arrival into Denver around 11PM.

For the first time in her brief career flying she was "terrified" on her flight last night!

When they got to Denver, the airport was reporting/suffering severe wind shears in the order of 30-40+ mph 1,000ft. off the runway.

Result was EVERYTHING was making missed approaches, most of them multiple times.

Their first approach the tailwind component went above the company maximum even with the 12,000+ ft. runways in Denver, on go around they were almost at an overspeed condition with the engines at flight idle AND a 10 degree nose up condition - this is severe. Second approach was pretty much the same except the overspeed warning went into the "yellow" warning area, they diverted.

The Delta flight behind them experienced severe overspeed which will result in the entire plane being grounded for a complete airframe check.

Both attempts were, she said, pretty terrifying (this from a pilot who doesn't mind flying in turbulence and actually enjoyed instructing in those condition!!) and that was for the folks FLYING the plane. The captain said he'd not seen such bad wind shear before himself, the cabin crew and pax were pretty shaken time they got to Grand Junction, Colorado. A few of them decided NOT to get back on the plane (all the crew wished they'd had THAT option!!). They refueled and returned to DEN 2 hours later and landed without incident.

I can't quite imagine the responsibility involved and not being able to say "..hell with this I'm done for the day..." as I'm sure most of us have done before when work gets a little pear-shaped!

Certainly might prompt lesser folks to consider a career change - just wanted to post this as I am both grateful she and her crew handled it AND that she is safe and wants to continue serving the public!

It's these sorts of situations I wish the whiners on commercial flight knew about/would consider when they complain about flight crews...

I have the upmost admiration for air crew with all the bad weather etc they all endure at some point.

Whilst we fly quite a lot I still would much prefer to be on tbe ground and have yet to encounter such wind shear

But one day it's going to happen.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting one there Phil. I must confess that when I get stupid leaflets under my windscreen I just chuck them on the floor. It's usually in supermarket car parks and I reckon the littering is done by the person who inflicted the leaflet on me. I also reckon it's up to the supermarket to clear up the mess, that might stop them allowing the leafletters to operate.

In this instance I think the TV company ought to have cleared up after themselves (and hopefully did)

I did notice the cop recording the registration so hopefully there's a summons in the post. I'm afraid thoughtless parking really annoys me especially as its more often down to laziness.

Evening all,

Managed to complete all the tasks successfully today, and as a reward, I'll get a lie in till eight in the morning when I attend to Archie the Westie's needs!

Mike(60860), I was upset to hear that Jamie suffers from PKU. Two of our grandchildren suffer from severe allergies, one of them life threatening which means carrying an Epi pen at all times. This is much better understood than PKU, and I assume that the onus is on you to sort out the protein situation in his diet? I hope the trip still proves to be successful and takes his mind off the condition. The pressure on you must be immense however and I admire your fortitude in handling the situation.

Stewart, hope you get Lucy's ear problems sorted as soon as possible.

I'm nodding off with the iPad in hand so I'd better crash out now and check in in the morning!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

• Like 17

Very pleasant evening here, its 7:00pm, Sun’s out and a nice 78f. Rain tomorrow, Sun’s back on Sunday. We need some rain but our mild drought is almost over.

G’night to all my pals in the UK and Europe - may sweet dreams haunt your night.

In the meantime it’s party time in the USA and Canada!!!!!!!!!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 14

At last a decent night's sleep.  Holidays are all well and good and great to see a bit of sun, but the choice of a noisy AC unit or sweltering all night is a tough one.  Our temperate climate is wonderful when you can sleep soundly with the windows open at night….

The other downside of a holiday is the few? extra pounds that have piled on.  Good food and good wine have all taken their toll, so now it's back on the wagon to lose 7-12lbs.  My weight had started to creep up before the holiday and the extra six pounds gained in Spain suddenly took me close to 14 stone.  That's a mental barrier having got down from 16st 10lbs.  Once you go past 14st, you're just a few pizza's away from 15 and then you're well on the way…:-(

Chances are slim I know, but after the events of yesterday, I'm happy we're home safely.

Big one today.  Myself and 92220 of Camden Shed fame will shortly be doing battle in our annual Mens Invitational.  Normally I wouldn't be nervous but as he plays off +1! and I'm off a lowly 15, I'm just hoping I don't make a cods of it.  Relax and enjoy the day is the mantra.  A full English breakfast at 9.00am will get me off on the right foot.  

So much for the diet!

Edited by gordon s

Luckily, Gordon, not all A/C units are noisy. We have remote “compressors” outside of the house. On our systems the only thing you hear is a central fan for each of the two systems. Ours are both by the Rheem company. One fan is situated in the basement the other is secreted on the second floor driving the air through that ducting. Two separate thermostats, which also work the heating system.

Quite shocked by News. Surely we must step up our efforts to eradicate this menace. The fools.  They want death and we should bring it to them.

G’night to all other stay ups.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Having stayed in many hotels with rattling air con I can sleep through it as long as it can be left running constantly rather switch on and off depending on temperature. Heat I cannot sleep at all through.

Our home,'air con' is a free standing fan that blows air from the window across our bed. It's often used in the winter aswell.

Another sunny morning sitting in the conservatory weathering City of Wells and some Czech HO stock.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Very pleasant here.

Still not allowed to use sharp implements or do anything requiring common sense until midday.

Fortunately nothing is planned!

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Got up just after 6 am originally but then dozed off again on the sofa. Weather forecast predicts rain and thunder for the afternoon, and scorching heat for next week.

Enjoy your day, everyone!

Only midday Tony, I have claimed a lifetime exemption :D

Good Morning all, hoping you all have a good w/e. SWMBO is off to do a 5k muddy run to support race for life later this a.m., I will be there cheering her on.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Sunny here in the north Leeds highlands.

I need to parcel up an item, post it and collect some more metal forming before venturing down to the people's republic of South Yorkshire.

Wind sheer ....mmm if you look for videos of planes landing on windy days at leeds bradford it gives you an idea of what it takes to land herabouts. Apologies, the kobo won't let me copy a link..

Have a great Saturday. Hope you had a great party Pete!

Baz

• Like 16

Bright and sunny here, off in  a minute to Bermondsey for H's birthday treat - a bunch of 5 year-olds making pizza....

Then a picnic on Potter's Field. Should be fun and lots of photo ops, just concerned about Julie's legs.

Have a good weekend, all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

The sun is shining and it should be a fine warm day with long sunny spells.

Looks like domestic stuff this morning as we have friends visiting later and a BBQ is planned. This means that once again the couple of pounds I've lost this week are in danger of being found again. I agree with Gordon about the 14 stone barrier......and I'm still the wrong side of it!

Have a good one,

Fat bloke of Sutton.