The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It's funny how some relatives keep back their stories thinking nobody would be interested, my Dad didn't admit to blagging cab rides on Duchesses from Rugby Midland to Euston and back until a couple of years ago, the rotten swine! A few years ago he told me he was roped in as an extra during the filming of 'The Yangtse Incedent' when he was in the Royal Navy.

Going a bit further back, it was some time before my maternal Grandmother let slip her stories of being an air raid warden in Hammersmith during WWII, the things she saw and had to deal with must have been awful but she said one of her most vivid memories was seeing a V1 'Doodlebug' being tipped off its course by a Spitfire pilot one sunny afternoon in 1944, apparently it eventually went to ground somewhere near the Hoover factory next to the A40.  

• Like 14

Should have made the Channel tunnel longer poking up into Belgium.

Talking of strikes, you will need an umbrella to stand under this meeting point with these two birds building a nest this morning

Suspect the sign needs changing to read " Mating Point"!

• RMweb Gold

Dad said he was filmed once for a newsreel "somewhere in Germany" leaning out of a tank turret discussing something with a motorcyclist. It was supposed to be near the frontline but they were about 20 miles back. Also Dad said the Lieutenant didn't want to be on camera. Dad modestly mentioned he got the job as he looked more handsome!

• Like 12

Greetings all, beautiful blue skies over Borough Market Junction and pleasantly warm outside.

I was going to post earlier but work got in the way! It's been busy

Elder Lurker goes away tomorrow for a week on a school camp - first time he's been away from home without us for so long. I am sure he'll have a good time though he's a little apprehensive. The house will be quiet without him thundering around.

Jock, enjoy the relay.

Enjoy the day and enjoy the weekend all

• Like 10

My father told me that he appeared in a recruitment film with Harry Fowler. Must have been early 50's ish maybe late 40's. Would love to find out if it is in an archive somewhere.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 9

Dom, it would be nice if you could show some enthusiasm for the new job. :jester:

Ed

Seriously, it is really great to see the change in you. Are you feeling generally better health-wise?

Edited by edcayton
  • Like 6

Afternoon all from a very sunny and warm Edinburgh - around 24C. A couple of days ago while Heathrow was basking in its record breaking temperatures it was pretty chilly here - around 15, but it has picked up. Some spectacular thunderstorms on Wednesday night.

I really feel for those of you who have to deal with an elderly relative with some kind of dementia. Although some things can be funny, it can take it out of you. Neither of my 90-year old divorced parents suffer, although sometimes a UTI makes my mum go a bit delirious before rehydration. Last time she seemed to realise that she was talking gobbledegook and shook her head and laughed. My father only stopped driving a year ago following an accident. No one injured luckily. He has since received treatment for macular degeneration which involves 7 or 8 injections very close to the eye. He refuses to allow me to look at his garaged car (it would take too much time - yeah, right!), although I think he should sell the thing. Also very deaf so although I may start talking about his car he'll think I said pear tree and he'll spend 10 minutes talking about that instead. 

Have a good weekend, and hope there's some good Wimbledon

Mal

• RMweb Premium

Seriously, it is really great to see the change in you. Are you feeling generally better health-wise?

Yes, definitely! These days, there is, of course, a lot of excitement about the upcoming weeks of actual driving to go along with it. Though my first impression is that while it is not difficult as such to operate a modern tram, it is quite a change of perspective!

• Like 11

Afternoon all,

Running around all over the place on various errands so far today, but at least the car is air-conditioned!

Ian(RH), after the last few days, it will be great just to go out on 'the batter', I hope you really enjoy the crawl - take it safely!

DD, best of luck dealing with MiL although it sounds like you have a lot of respect for her and her care from you and Mrs DD is going to be in stark contrast from that offered by the t*sser of a BiL you told us about! Your attitude is fantastic and just like Nidge(Rugd1022) mentions in his post, we have many of these unsung modest heroines/heroes in our midst. Many did things we would never dream of! It is all too easy to think 'silly old fart' and then discover a row of medals in their house, and a photo of their destroyer on arctic convoy duty in WW2 as happened to me with one of my customers when I delivered his car. Thanks to them, and particularly the Bletchley Park crowd, we have avoided having to endure what they did!

Mike(60860), have a good break - sounds like it came at the right time!

Mike(SM), the events at Henley as described above, seem to me to encapsulate the way our society is evolving these days - can't say I'm proud of the legacy we are leaving our grandchildren!

Gordon, I fancy that the police might have something to say if that car was driven with so much clutter on the screen, though it does remind me of how some of our misguided locals drive their cars after a snow fall!!

I'm off now to take Archie the Westie for a walk - training for tomorrow! I've just been told that it will be more of a lap of honour by 'survivors' to start the serious 24hr relay, followed by a celebration lunch which I certainly didn't expect. The thousands of pounds that are being raised by all these lovely people to help save future sufferers is quite humbling. I am acutely aware that, without the research they are helping to fund, I wouldn't be alive now so I suspect I am going to be quite emotional!

Hope you are all looking forward to a good weekend,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 13

Yes, definitely! These days, there is, of course, a lot of excitement about the upcoming weeks of actual driving to go along with it. Though my first impression is that while it is not difficult as such to operate a modern tram, it is quite a change of perspective!

Following on from my earlier post about having driven trams on the streets of Berlin, IIRC a couple of years later BVG obtained a full motion platform simulator for training purposes. 'Driving' that was a darn sight more difficult than the real GT6............

Mawnin' awl. Tropical night, seemed like. Almost 22°C already.

I was told by several independent sources that the X-ers really do "anchor" rock solid when doing an emergency brake. With full dynamic brakes and 79.2 tonnes of track brake force and full sand, I suppose that'll be spot on!

Sounds to me you are heading towards your first "carrier landing"! I refer you to my avatar and no I not flying the NA 39. I was only part of the team that built most of them, happy days, they won't come back!  :O

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 10

Very nice in the Conwy Valley today.  Morning spent clearing ivy from trees which were in danger of being throttled by it.  Then wood sawing and chopping for a winter fuel supply.  Watched a Conwy Valley Explorer special trundle up the line from Llandudno Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog - 8 coaches topped and tailed by Class 47/57.  As it was over a mile away, too distant to get a decent photo with my little camera.  Family 90th birthday celebration tomorrow, followed by a trip on the longest and fastest zip line on Monday  - cant wait!

• Like 13

Very nice in the Conwy Valley today.  Morning spent clearing ivy from trees which were in danger of being throttled by it.  Then wood sawing and chopping for a winter fuel supply.  Watched a Conwy Valley Explorer special trundle up the line from Llandudno Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog - 8 coaches topped and tailed by Class 47/57.  As it was over a mile away, too distant to get a decent photo with my little camera.  Family 90th birthday celebration tomorrow, followed by a trip on the longest and fastest zip line on Monday  - cant wait!

I heard on the wireless t'other day that a man is planning to build the biggest in the world in Canada. This near a village which has been the site of more dinosaur discoveries than anywhere else. His plan is to fill the valley with animatronic dinosaurs to give the riders an even bigger thrill!

Ed

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I,ve been doing a bit of Googling around track gauge, and Wiki (OK) suggests that Leipzig trams are slightly wider than standard. Is that right, as if anything they look narrow to me?

Yes, our gauge is 1,458 mm, which came into being when in the days of horsecars by the end of the 19th century, wear and attrition had caused the standard gauge tracks originally laid to widen as time passed. As it was thought to be prohibitively expensive to carry out network-wide repairs, 1,458 mm was eventually defined as the new norm. This is the broadest gauge of all German tram systems.

Our turn on Monday will be on a Tatra Großzug, meaning two motor cars and one trailer. In this case, it'll be piloted by our dedicated training car, 5001. I'm quite curious how it'll feel handling a tram with controller pedals!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Following on from my earlier post about having driven trams on the streets of Berlin, IIRC a couple of years later BVG obtained a full motion platform simulator for training purposes. 'Driving' that was a darn sight more difficult than the real GT6............

I would think that for trams, there's a limit to what you can simulate realistically, even if just for the fact that road traffic tends to be much more unpredictable than, in my view, air traffic, for example!

It's different, that's for sure :)

I might have missed your having mentioned it earlier, so - Did you also drive a BVG Tatra? LVB did acquire a small batch of 28 T6A2s plus 14 B6A2 trailers (the T6 essentially being the non-articulated brother to the KT4) in the late 1980s but - in part due to the post-Wende goings-on - no further examples were procured. Due to their small number, they've all long been withdrawn, with only 1001 and trailer 801 awaiting restoration.

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to say, Andy, LVB do offer "Fan Tours" (where you can drive yourself) as well. Perhaps something to consider if you should want to see Leipzig some time? There also are events where such tours are conducted with historic stock from the Möckern Depot Museum!

• Like 8

A fresher morning saw my community choir (The Choral Engineers) singing near Paignton Pier then composing our own song, using the shelter in which we were sitting as the stimulus. The song is called "Sheltered by Love". I think the sea air helped our creativity!

Some of us may be seen by clicking on this link:-

https://m.facebook.com/theheavisidecondition/photos/pb.807660045921618.-2207520000.1435938975./955340541153567/?type=1&source=54

Wishing you all a happy weekend.

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all

Still 30-something in la Sarthe. I have just watched a combine harvesting the shortest corn ever. Further growth now seems unlikely, so getting what is available is the best solution, no doubt. Yesterday's storm apparently knocked half the seeds out of the sunflowers - that means less oil, and the farmers have a contracted price so there will not be a better market price in the stuff at their level. Alison's lover sees his business on the decline again.

Implausibly I spent nearly an hour surrounded by many kids of primary age, having gone with Alison to fetch her boys from skool, and been caught up with end-of-term celebrations involving kids dancing, soft drinks and buns. A very popular teacher is leaving - emigrating to New Zealand! Not much French spoken there, I think.

Car insurance? The UK has a healthy market in comparison to France, where if you want to change companies, you are required to advise the outgoing lot in writing by registered letter some time in advance. Failure to do so results in automatic renewal and a requirement to pay. Yes, it's the law. And the cover is very expensive by comparison - albeit it tends to let you drive in all of Europe. At least the UK has cheap sharks.

Hope your week has wound up as well as can be expected, and the weekend does better.

• Like 2