The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It seems possible to print timbers for bullhead turnouts. Still a bit of tweaking to do, although it actually looks a lot better than it appears in the photograph. It's fairly sturdy too, although electrical connections require care - the plastic has a very low melting point.

post-25691-0-40270500-1436083020.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Deffo cooler, with light showers, and some much lower temperatures now being forecast for the next few days. I'm away from here early Tuesday, when Alison drives me La Ferte Bernard to start my trip to the UK. She seems to have told her beau his fortune last night, resulting in a better understanding between them. And making up is invariably the best part of a lovers' tiff!

My local preserved line, TRANSVAP, is in business today I see, so I may go to watch at least. Pics of Picasso X93953 in its new blue livery would be good. Even if I think it's too light.

• Like 13

Good morning all.

Cooler and a lot wetter here in Carshalton-sur-Mer where it is the Feast Day of St Ockwell, patron saint of tube junctions and bus stations. He was a friend of the equally famous Ken Nington.

Raining a lot at the moment, Julie has gone to Merton Abbey but I doubt she'll stay. In the good old days the traders were inside and could leave their stalls set up - and punters could walk around in the dry. But the 'management' changed all of that, the traders are outside and the indoor market is largely unused. And in inclement weather no-one goes. Go figure...

Waiting to hear from Jock.

Have a good day, all. It's wall-to-wall motorsport today!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

A great afternoon and evening yesterday visiting numerous great pubs in Sheffield and great weather for it as well.

Overcast and cooler here this morning.

Sitting in Wetherspoons awaiting our breakfast before heading off to Stockport for a few lunchtime drinks.

• Like 14

It is only two weeks now until I retire and I am starting to think about the implications. A bit of a crossroads really. I would like to think that I could go long distance walking again and even on a couple of cycle tours. I certainly feel there's one last long ride in me. But, should I aim to do things I did when I was younger again and probably look daft and make a fool of myself, or should I just accept that I am older and metaphorically settle in front of the fire with a glass of amber nectar and read a good book. Both sound quite attractive. Sounds like I'm having one of those midlife crises things.

Grow your hair and buy a Harley. Go on, you know you want to. Seriously, do what you want to with who you want to, it may not always be possible.

Morning all. I'm hoping for some rain at Silverstone.

Ed

• Like 9

Morning all. A grey wet morning but at least it's a bit cooler.

Not a great deal planned for the day but F1 will be watched and like Ed, I hope there is some rain to bring a bit of entertainment.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 9

Morning all.

Cooler this morning. Rather cloudy too.

Someone was letting off lots of fireworks last night but they stopped well before midnight.

We are off to Kent today. Aditi's brother is on holiday there. Aditi's uncle is also visiting from the US and will be there as will MiL and one of my nephews! We will only be daytrippers, the others will be there until Thursday.

Tony

Someone was setting off fireworks near to us too. They started just after dark and continued for a quite a while. Amber had only just drifted off to sleep, but fortunately they didn't wake her. Am I correct in thinking it may have due to Ramadan? I think I heard that this particular festival was around this time of the year.

Ramadan isn't a festival, it's a month of daytime fasting and lasts until July 17th.

At the end of Ramadan is the festival of Eid when there will be fireworks.

Given the date I would imagine it's a stray American.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Warm Hot again last night so window duly left open - only to be awakened by returning revellers at 03.00, back to sleep then the next lot were about an hour later but it's the last day today and then we're back to the usual summertime situation.

Much cooler today and lots of luvverly clouds - which don't seem to contain moisture they wish to lose, alas.

Anyway today's real racing excitement comes not in the procession at Silverstone but just down the road from us (well a mile and more down the road to be precise) when at 15.30 this afternoon and under the names of several clubs England takes on Germany (or is it vice versa?)  in the final of the Grand Challenge Cup and in reality it's, whatever they're called, the World Champion crew vs the Olympic Champion crew.  I might just tune in to the live video feed to watch that as I suspect it could be far more of a race than what takes place at Silverstone although that's also effectively England vs Germany as well.

Have a good day folks

• Like 9

Afternoon all,

Can't believe that I had just completed a lengthy post about my experiences yesterday, when either my iPad or RMweb decided to go blank on me, losing the lot! Here goes plan B - Had a lengthy trawl through all the posts and once again must thank all ERs for the kind comments.

Started well on Saturday having slept through all the heavy rain and pyrotechnics during the night. We arrived at the school where the 'Relay for Life' was to take place in plenty of time to register, being directed into a dedicated car park - it was then that I discovered that I was to be treated as a celebrity, wearing a purple T shirt which showed that you were a 'survivor' to differentiate from all of the other participants who were decked out in pale blue. At mid day, the surprisingly large number of 'survivors' was gathered together to start the relay by walking the first lap at a pace that the most impaired could manage. I walked hand in hand with Sarah, the lady I mentioned in a previous post, and we were really moved when all the other participants ringed the track and applauded us! At the end of our effort, when the 24hrwalkers had started out, we were taken to a marquee where a buffet lunch with bubbly or soft drinks were served to us by volunteers. It was a lovely affair, meeting other sufferers, some of whom were known to me. The event organiser gave a speech and involved the young man (oddly one of my old customers!) who spent all day as compere for the event, himself a survivor from testicular cancer who now works for the ' Cancer Research' charity. The field and arena was ringed with stalls and tents which housed the teams who were participating - each team had to have one member at least walking at all times. Almost all of the stalls had games, competitions or items for sale to raise funds and they were interspersed with a 'chip' van, a grill, and ice cream and refreshment stalls. There was a 'pop concert' style stage with events going on throughout to entertain visitors and walkers alike - our granddaughter sang in the 'Clacton's got Talent' show and the performers went round with buckets to gather more funds after their show! I was astounded by the sheer number of the local population who turned out, all to help keep people like me alive. The Clacton 'Lions' did car park duties and the Fire Service and St Johns had displays. We went home in the afternoon and I snoozed for a couple of hours, returning in the evening. Last year's event raised in excess of £100K which purchased a new machine for the cancer unit at Addenbrookes hospital, and they hope to top that this year! DD, there is certainly no need for deprecating words about your efforts on behalf of Annie when you look at the size of this event with national participation from Cancer Research, and sponsorship from local radio and various companies. I am certainly not alone in admiring, and indeed appreciating your efforts! Perhaps the most moving part of the day was just before we went home, the track was lined with paper bags, each having sand and a 'tea light' in the bottom to illuminate the route - they were adorned with photographs and words about survivors and lost loved ones and when I read what my daughter and granddaughter had written about me, the tears flowed freely. I have taken some photographs which are as yet not processed and may post some in the week. All in all, a very emotional and tiring but memorable day and I have now set myself a target to attend next year's event, possibly as a member of a family team that daughter and son in law would like to arrange! Hope I haven't bored you all with this lengthy scroll - such was my excitement!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 9

Afternoon all,

Thanks for the very kind words BoD. As to your post on retirement, if yours turns out to be as busy as ours, you will have no problem filling your day, as others have said!

All sorts of interesting things involving ERs at the moment so ..........

Bill, PhilJW, and any others that are involved in shows today, I hope they are all very successful events. Photographs always welcome!

Sherry, your 'choir' sounds like great fun and far removed from the archetypal model! Have a great time 'camping' in Truro!

Judge thanks for the link, I spent quite a while browsing it and travelling down memory lane! I guess your reference was to the official secrets act? I am a signatory by the way, but of course, I can't tell you why.

Pete(the mole), it is indeed heartening to read that your imminent parting seems to be proceeding in an adult and reasonable manner. This is a direct contrast to mine some thirty odd years ago, certainly once solicitors were involved to formalise things! Haven't had a lot of time for that profession since!

Ian(OD), hope you have a safe journey to Blighty on Tuesday. Will you be joining Sherry and the girls in the tent at Truro?

Back to watching British Superbikes at Knockhill in Scotland - the less exciting F1 (in my opinion) is recording as we speak!

Have a good tail end to your weekend,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Well, it's hard to follow an act like Jock's! Your detailed description of the event is very touching. And no, not in any way boring. Great that you were awarded celebrity status, too. The damned disease is on all sides, so defeating it remains a priority for us all.

Meanwhile, I have just watched Silverstone - and my morning summary was well adrift! A most interesting and unexpected race from start to finish, so those with recordings will not be disappointed!

My trip to Transvap was a bit weird, because I couldn't find any trains at anything like the appointed times and places, and was on my way home when I found one by having to give way at a (protected) level crossing! So a quick about turn and off to catch it at Prevelles and then Tuffe Lac, where Sherry and I had picnicked on Bastille Day last year. No sign of the Picasso, as both trains were formed of a 1947 Billard railcar, nos 901 and 903, which were built for the line.

• Like 9

Agree with Ian(OD), as I watched the F1on BBC Sport on the iPad while the bike racing was recording whist Joanna was enjoying one of her 'must see' dramas! One of the seasons best so far.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Scorchio is the word. For another day, as we're again past 40°C.

May I just follow up with a big "Like" for your experience, Jock. There should be many more examples of such events where people are there for each other!

• Like 1