The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

As we know there are quite a few members on here from the colonies so I'd like to wish you all a happy 4th of July and I'll be going down my local The Benedict Arnold arms and will be raising a glass in your honer. Oh by the way they've just found the original paper work from 1776 in the British museum and apparently it wasn't independence but a long term loan, it seems we get you back next year!  ;)

Please form an orderly queue and put any guns and ammo in the receptacles provided.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Well off I go to bed last night after  (yet again) feeding one of the cats only to arrive upstairs and look out eastwards at enormous flashes lighting up the sky, more flashes above the clouds in both the east and north east.  Ha-ha I think - here comes the rain to fill the water butts and no need to pump from the big tank tomorrow.  Thunder getting nearer, big flashes and smaller illuminants continuing so to bed and still get teh room occasionally lit up by the huge flashes, good the rain cometh.

And then to today - and the rain didn't cometh, not even one tiny drop of the stuff!

Have a good day one and all, looks like I shall be getting the pump into action later today  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all. I don't seem to have posted on ERs for about a week but I've been keeping up with everybody, so sympathy, commiserations and congratulations as required. 

We had neither thunder or rain overnight and its warming up already. I may spend much of the day in shorts unless I decide to go out. I don't inflict my legs on the general public.

Martyn's been on work experience, which seems to be ok, although it's only been part time as there doesn't seem to be enough work for him to do. He's in a large charity shop so there are also several volunteers doing stuff. Yesterday evening we went to see Minions in Eastleigh with his mate and their two mums. Pizzas in the park afterwards. There wasn't room for everybody in one car to go home so I had to go back on my twirly pass. The Wagon Works is by the bus stop and I needed the facilities, so the wait for the bus was tolerable, just time for a pint. I'm not so green as I'm cabbage looking. Still got back before Mrs mole (after dropping off the others).

Following a Youtube link last night I found myself in one sequence, of S15 class E828 at Temple Meads in '96. I wasn't fat then, but the pony tail and large moustache are the same. I wasn't totally sure until I dug out the photos I took that day and found the shots that matched my location; one also included a guy in the video. Maybe I should aim to regain that svelte look; it means losing about 4 stone.

In other news, the estranged Mrs mole has a new chap and this time it's serious; they're getting handfasted in September. She's now contemplating the D word. This should be amicable as our respective 'estates' are largely separated already although a lot of her stuff is stored here. In the longer term I may have to buy out her share of the house. 

Domestic stuff to be done, so I'd better get on. Have a good day.

Pete

Judge, thanks for the information - you and the other members of the team obviously knew what you were doing as your work produced a very strong and lasting airframe. Are there many still flying?

I am unable to say weather I worked on such projects or not but we did have drawings with numbers prefixed YSA.

As to your question, " Are there many still flying?"

I have found this link, http://www.incredible-adventures.com/capetown2.html

No links for me, the nearest I got to South Africa was Holme-on-Spalding Moor

Keep smiling Jock, all the best. John.

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 8

Morning all,

Had a two hour 'display' of the thunder and lightening at Bescot in the wee hours this morning, spectacular isn't the word! I was half expecting the signalling to be knocked out but thankfully my light engine move to Hinksey went without a hitch. Worst part of the trip was having to dodge all the standing water on the Kiddlington to Banbury road as I drove the staff van back to Rugby!

Hope all's well where you are folks ;).

• Like 8

Making the most of this lovely day, I've painted the Sun Room floor and reached the conclusion that it will need three coats of the 'Diamond Finish' floor paint.

I've moved furniture, provided ladders, unplugged complicated electrics so they can be moved.

What time does the sun go in?

• RMweb Gold

It was drizzling and miserable when we left the hotel in Leeds but in Huddersfield it brightened up and now on the Line via Pennistone it'd a lovely sunny breezy day. The previous train left 50 minutes late and terminating short at Barndley do this one is nice and quiet do far and it's three cars.

Just over an hours break before we get back on the ale in Sheffield.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Warm here too! I did go to the Basildon Exhibition. PhilJW was busy shepherding the exhibitors and traders lunch queue. I parked in the overflow car park which implies a good turnout, it was busy without being crowded.

I went and did the weekend shopping on the way home. I usually do the shopping on Thursday or Friday but helping Matthew back from LSE accommodation took priority. He seems to think our offer to take him to Utrecht is probably sensible. I said we won't hang around and be embarrassing! I can't be that bad as he introduced to people as we wandered through the LSE hall and even took a friend with us to dinner!

Tony

• Like 7

Had a great bike ride. Wind behind me on the uphill outward leg and a headwind coming back downhill (well mostly). Short cold shower just as I was coming back into Killybegs. Had a phone call from daughter Lucy while I was out on the bike. They were all off to the airport to fly off to Kenya for three weeks. Lucy worked there for five years after she left uni', so has a lot of friends there not to mention a SiL, with whom they will be staying. They have had a busy week, as they were invited to Holyrood Palace for a Royal Garden Party on Wednesday. They haven't yet found out exactly what they did to get the invite!

The sun is out again now but it is much cooler than of late. 

Lounged in front of the TV watching the time trial on 'le Tour', much more relaxing than being in the saddle yourself! The remote has now been passed over to Steph for the tennis!

Hope all went well today Jock.

• Like 11

OOOOPs!  I nearly made the same mistake as yesterday. 

However, today I have turned BBC2 off and am watching Netflix.  I do not want to be responsible for James Ward losing as he his winning 2 sets to 1.

• Like 6

OOOOPs!  I nearly made the same mistake as yesterday. 

However, today I have turned BBC2 off and am watching Netflix.  I do not want to be responsible for James Ward losing as he his winning 2 sets to 1.

Oh dear, it didn't work, but at least you are not to blame this time!

• Like 1

Forecast heavy rain never materialised just light drizzle for an hour this morning. Been out all day playing trains, 5" gauge live steam, great stuff. Feeling the effect of the sun now as I forgot the sun screen. Polly had it in her bag doh. Watching tennis until tea ready then an iplayer catch up on F1.

• Like 9

Four adults and three young children staying here next week. They arrive on Monday. Would you believe the clothes dryer decided to pack it in last night? It would run as long as the start button was depressed, but stopped as soon as it was released.

I suspected some latching relay had conked out. Being the holiday weekend, I thought my chances of finding a replacement anytime soon were non-existent. However, I toughed it out decided to poke around inside the thing this morning. Popped off the control panel, and immediately noticed that a push-on connector on the start button had pushed-off. Fixed in three minutes!

• Like 5

Evening all. Congrats to Jock on a fantastic total and I hope you are over your bout of sickness. We also had the spectacular light show in the early hours of the morning. I stirred at the sound of the biggest rumble of thunder I have ever heard, but did drift back off to sleep and managed a lie in. I think tiredness got the better of me. After a busy day at work it was straight out to an evening wedding reception for a friend of Sarah's. It was good to see the happy couple enjoying themselves, they had previously been forced to postpone their big day as the groom had been struck down with leukaemia. Thankfully he is in remission at present.

I was on driving duty for Sarah and her friend so was limited on drink and was flagging by about 10.30pm. However I ended up having to stick around until midnight when the girls were ready to leave.

During the night I ended up bumping into a couple of ex pupils from my previous school. The one I recognised did not recognise me, and the one I didn't recognise came up and had a chat! The bride's sister was from my year at school and was in the same class at primary school. She did not remember me either, much to the surprise of the bride who remembered me from my time there as a teacher and introduced us.

Today has been another busy day. Sarah treated me to an afternoon at the Nottingham Arena watching the Mrs Brown's Boys live show. It was very funny and I enjoyed a few more ales as free from the car this time. A was then treated to a pub tea with the inlaws which was a nice end to the day. Just need Amber to go to sleep now.

• Like 13

Today's part of the move started at 8:15 and was done by 12:30. We were only taking crates for people, no furniture. We have everything new.

Now just hope it all works.

Another early start on Monday. (And Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday)

• RMweb Gold

Good evening.

(another first for me on ERs)

It's a while since I have posted in seriousness so various agrees, likes, friendly/supportives etc etc.

I could write a post like one of Jock's making insightful and helpful references to everyone else but I thought I would leave that to him, he does it so much better than I would ever be able to do. I hope all is well Jock, you are one of life's really nice guys.

Having said that, congratulations Andy on your promotion (pity we can't say the same about Derby, still, McLaren might bring the Mags down too).

It is only two weeks now until I retire and I am starting to think about the implications. A bit of a crossroads really. I would like to think that I could go long distance walking again and even on a couple of cycle tours. I certainly feel there's one last long ride in me. But, should I aim to do things I did when I was younger again and probably look daft and make a fool of myself, or should I just accept that I am older and metaphorically settle in front of the fire with a glass of amber nectar and read a good book. Both sound quite attractive. Sounds like I'm having one of those midlife crises things.

With 43.39 minutes on the clock I have switched the Womens World Cup 3rd place play off on tv.  Lets watch them lose now!

Lovely day here in sunny Devon.  Loadsa people on the beach at 3pm ish when I ventured out for some driftwoood.  The beach was a bit windy but not too bad.  Had a pint in the Riviera in the sun and then home. 

Todays job is continuing to attempt to clean some glass bottles dug out of the Victorian tip way back in the 70's by my father.  I must have 75-100 odd that he stored in the garage.  Some lovely glass stoppers and some nice shaped bottles amongst the stash also some marmalade jars but sadly no lids. 

• Like 13