The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Bonjour le monde!

Nice day dawning here. Had a lovely day at the zoo yesterday, and Daisy is having a lie-in this morning, and writing postcards home. We're all a bit knackered!

This afternoon we may go to le village enchantée, which is a bit of a strange attraction nearby. Or maybe not.

I have read through, but can't raise the energy for individual replies, so can I just hit 'friendly/supportive' for all, please?

• Like 3

morning all,early start for me and her indoors....daisys temp did a Saturn v impression at 3 so sat up till she settled,back to bed at 4 and up again at 445......and all are soundly asleep.....snoring.....large cup of coffie bekons.....have a good day all.

Morning all, the end of a two day working week and the boss has taken the day off

There are white clouds mixed in with the blue over Borough Market Junction.

Not too much to report from Lurker towers, although I forgot to mention yesterday that I had seen a bat flying around in the garden towards sunset earlier in the week. That is certainly something I have never seen before in the fold in the side of the hill.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning, the first Saturday of my weekend :locomotive:

Polly, we came across the 'Beetlecrusher' the nickname for the Caley dock tanks when running it at Strathaven (pro 'Straethern or something like that - Jock????) ME club a 'few' years ago.  They loved having a visiting Scottish engine, and she ran well every time we went there so she must have liked it too! 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Another will be along shortly.

The benefits of a 4 day working week.  The second Saturday will bring a visitor bearing steamy things (steadyyyyy) to run on the garden railway, as he's a clever lad (and then some) no doubt it will be of great interest!

• Like 13

It may be that your friend is suffering from some mental health issues. In his latter years my father became quite irrational and managed to fall out with all his friends for no good reasons.

But Leopard wants to know how to deal with it. Attempting to explain to friend that his mental health may be the cause may exacerbate the problem.

Ignoring it wont help much. Addressing it with his friend will probably be just as innefectual.

If his friend believes that he and a beer festival are more important than SWMBO's family then maybe he just needs to be dropped. Although I would probably explain the situation.

Do you really think Leopard would be daft enough to tell his friend that? I do not think he would.

The reason I brought it up is because, if Leopard believed that were the source of the problem, I think he might be more sympathetic towards his friend.

Thanks for that folks, I (and others) think that he may have undiagnosed aspergers, as this sort of behaviour has been exhibited before but not to this extent.

We have on many previous occasions tolerated his behaviours, but that doesn't seem to help either, he is almost socially inept and holds one point of view (his). I do not want to pander to this childishness this time, that aggravates my belief that I always end up doing what someone else wants, often to my mental detriment. :(

I have had the dubious pleasure(?) of watching Joanna try on countless occasions - constant PMT as well! She finally managed after a heart scare which has left her with Angina, and has now not smoked for sixteen to eighteen months. She does admit to strong cravings occasionally, but the fear instilled in her by the consultant has been enough to bolster her will power so far. I sympathise as, at our age in any case, we were exposed to smoking everywhere (remember the films viewed through clouds?)

Congratulations to Joanna for managing to stop smoking, the cravings gradually get fewer and further between! Not so long ago when almost everyone seemed to smoke. First thing my grandad did was light a cigarette when he got up, so I was well used to smelling it as a kid.

Very bright morning here - yesterday was the first day of the fringe and as we both had the day off managed to get free tickets for a show then mooch around taking in the atmosphere; the city is packed which is great, but it leads to much more traffic congestion which is not so. We have a busy time this year, tix for Mark Thomas and Mark Steele on Saturday, then James Naughtie and many others in the bookfest. Looking forward to it.

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a very sunny village with lots of some strange blue stuff visible.   I had a good day and evening at the clubroom yesterday.   Still having problems with AutoCAD but my old XP machine running the 2008 version still works fine so I'm busy back converting all my newer files.  

As to smoking, my dad smoked and I actually like the smell of pipe tobacco but apart from a bit in my teens I've never been tempted and am very glad that I never took it up.  Having seen the problems it caused for my dad and several good friends I am very grateful that it never got a hold on me.  I realise how hard it is to give up though.  I'm not sure about E cigs though and just wonder whether people tend to use them more than if they were smoking real ones.   During part of our holiday we were with a couple where the lady had an ecig and it never seemed to be out of her hand, including at meal times but it wasn't the right time to say anything as she was a good friend of Beth's. 

Regards to all, the day is good after yesterday at Trent Bridge.

Jamie

• Like 10

Sunny Teignmouth is covered in sun this sunny morning. A trip to Totnes beckons as the missus likes the place and the wine bar at the top of the hill is great for lunch. Despite her fibromyalgia she manages to walk the steep hill ok.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I now have recovered my sander and been to B & Q for more sanding sheets. I've hated that place ever since they put in all self service check outs but wonder of wonders they actually had a cheerful polite young lady on the till this morning. She actually made me smile which (I am told) is extremely difficult.

I suppose I had better start doing some work now I have the tools for the job.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright and sunny Estuary-Land. Very sad indeed to hear of George Cole's passing and Jock's mentioning of his part in 'Blott on the landscape' bought to mind the author of 'Blott', Tom Sharpe of whom I was a great fan avidly waiting for his next book. Unfortunately Tom Sharpe passed away a few years ago and I missed my dose of 'black humour' until I found Carl Hiasson who writes with the same sort of black humour and similar quirky characters. A walk (hobble?) into town beckons this morning, I certainly could do with the exercise. Edit, I forgot to mention the remarkable success of the England cricket team. I particullary like the headline in one of the Australian papers, 'Pommicide'.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 11

More visiting today. My circle of family and friends seem determined to test the NHS to breaking point in one well coordinated outbreak of practically every infirmity known to man.

.How would you deal with the childish antics of a long term friend who's cut off all communication as a result of us having to pull out of a local beer festival day out because an event in SWMBO's family has cropped up and should take precedence?

Softly. At some point something will crop up in friend's family, seriously disruptive of his plans. Then you can demonstrate that friendship is about more than attending every beer up. Some folks need a lifetime to get the hang of this kind of thing.

...This is purely my own supposition, but I wonder if the purpose was to keep the 88mm guns in an anti-aircraft rather than an anti-tank role. Personally, I would have thought the air forces could have been better used in a tactical role,

Serious analyses of the allied bombing campaign in Western Europe have concluded that it was an accidental strategic success. What it did was tie down German aviation and artillery resources within Metropolitan Germany, that would have been devastating deployed against the USSR. The ammunition for the high velocity artillery alone (resource for anti-aircraft and tank and anti-tank roles) was mostly fired within Germany, and hit nothing.

I see no objection to what was done. As the direct descendant of one of the prisoners of the Nazi regime, here's what I was told. 'When I saw a German soldier foul his pants as the bombers flew over in early 1943, the knowledge burst upon me: they are losing the war'. Anyone who hasn't read it, turn to 'Enemy coast Ahead'. It is a litany of regret about having to do this foul thing. Not yet smart enough to find our way to a better method.

• RMweb Gold

How dare they call us Pomms in these days of p c ness ;-)

At least the can't call us whinging poms. For now anyway.

I can't be the only one wondering what that young lady did to make Bob smile.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all.

I'm just going to take advantage of a lovely warm day in red dragon land and have a sit out on the bench with a R***way magazine before the clouds bubble up anymore or I get sunburnt.  Whichever is the soonest!.

Have a good afternoon / morning / whatever according to your sun position.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I read that as warm day in bed.

I think I'm catching dementia.

DD. I hope it isn't catching.  Still, the wind is blowing in your direction so I should be safe. :jester:

It's just as well I didn't sit out in the sun very long - just enough time to read about some loco rebuilding at Didcot before we had lunch - for it's now raining.  Watch out DD, you might get it next.   There's a large expanse of dark grey cloud passing over.

Summer days.....

• Like 1