The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I reached the exalted height of underofficer in the CCF.  Not bad for someone with no concept of left and right and with definite left wing views.  Oddly I could read a map, and could read ground - I was never captured on an escape and evasion exercise.

However I barely survived being an underofficer.  The infamous Toddy had an eversion to authority, especially men in caps, so he went for me when I arrived home from camp.  Never argue with an incensed Jack Russell - I ran for it!

Bill

Edited by bbishop

• RMweb Premium

A special for certain ER's ;)

It would be funny if you hadn't mentioned those dreaded letters IKEA.  Stands for something in Foreign approximating to I Kan't Effect Assembly.   :help:  :ireful:  :banghead:  :angry:

Still dribbling from the grey mass overhead.  Outdoor tidy-up deferred.  Supermarket delivery received.  Duly noted the black dog has reared its head again in certain places and to those who live with it I can offer support and empathy.  I'm not a dog-person but the dreaded black one is definitely no friend of mine.

A cluckbird shall be sacrificed tonight and accompanied by various roasted vegetabilia.  Any excuse for a half-decent sauv-blanc eh? ;)

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

Dry but overcast here, pottered on in the garage while SWMBO painted the fence! A keeper.

'Not Bob' - good on you for bashing the bully.

UK056425, BSc, BA, Lapsed MCIPD - you have to pay every year to keep it!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Warning, viewers of a sensitive nature and especially those in hospital with breadmakers and their acolytes should look away now.

I actually managed to have an hour or so on my own in the man cavern and got some trains running on French Electrickery.

attachicon.gifP4083242.JPG

The first to move was 736 the 3P built so well by my late, and much missed, friend Tony Bond; very appropriate.

I hope that this and all the other outbreaks of unmentionable things will spur our lady of the Collies to get better soon.

Now for an evening of quality controlling the locally produced red tinted liquids, and watching for the owl that guards the barn.

Jamie

That French electrickery is certainly strong:  It's turned decent GWR locos into something else.............

Beret, string of onions, striped shirt,  Gaulois lit and bicyclette off

• RMweb Premium

So, lest I forget, belated congrats to Mr and Mrs Dave!

Chris, I guess I can imagine what you describe as I’ve been there, too, and even years after, there are those occasional moments when I feel like locking myself up in order to not have to be bothered by anyone.

It’s not a nice feeling when that happens, but at the same time, I believe having been there as badly as ten years ago has made me much more mindful of taking care of my own well-being. I cannot tell whether I would have learned that lesson otherwise, so perhaps it was something of a wake-up call.

• RMweb Premium

I almost got bitten by that black dog a long time ago, it was just closing in without me realising it when a change of circumstances avoided the full hit - and only then did I realise what was happening.  Being mindful of that, when things were looking rather grim on the work front a few years later we were pro-active and changed our lives by moving here.

My best wishes to those that suffer - there but for the grace of Donk go I.

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Well our friends eventually arrived for lunch at 14.00hrs, rather late due to circumstances beyond their control. A great and hilarious time was had for the next few hours but they have now departed back to the South Coast. We have promised to visit in the summer when I've got my new car. (Said he, they are being delayed but a press release the other day stated they're increasing production over the next couple of months so I live in hope)

I forgot to mention that one of my proficiency badges in the Cubs was First Aider.  It's come in handy once or twice............... :whistle:

There was blood spilt earlier today but for once it wasn't me, The Boss tried to amputate her finger with a sharp knife. I managed to save her though!   :yes:

I've been there with the Black Dog and then some. On rare occasions it rears its head again but I can now just about manage to deal with it.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land.

7601913 BSc (Hons), FRGS, FGS, PCO, LNP, SHO and bar. Not yet Retd.

Pacifist and Conscientious Objector
Leader of Nothing in Particular
Severe Hang Over and bar. Or more likely as a result of being at bar.

By coincidence I have exactly the same qualifications.

Anyone who has seen my woodwork will be astounded to know I have a woodwork O level too. I must have done well on the theory paper!

Tony

In woodwork class at school I was told that I made the best firewood. My subsequent efforts though I say it myself are not to bad.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

A busy day "observing" has been undertaken. Lots of eediotts on the M1 today.. but I got there and back in one piece.

Many moons ago I went by white knuckle airlines from Luton to Hannover. As this was a trooper flight. As we settled in (or squeezed in) an RMP arrived and asked if he was speaking to Mr Baz. Yes says I, well Sir you are the highest rank on the plane (they took my civil service grade and converted it) and it would appear I was an honorary Brigadier. He wanted me to agree to a prisoner in chains to fly back to Germany... luckily a fellow passenger jumped in and helped out....(he was a proper occifer!)

Enjoyed my tea.. slow cooked snake and pygmy with her indoors best hand made parsley dumplings...yummy!

Hope to hear more positives from Debs...HH you are flying close to the sun with that photograph....

Baz 

• Like 19

During WW2 my dad was promoted from Gunner to Bombardier. He went for a drink with his mates to celebrate and it ended up with MPs and a guardroom involved. Mother told us she received a letter telling her that her weekly pay from dad's wage had increased: followed very soon after by another saying it had gone down again.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Many moons ago I went by white knuckle airlines from Luton to Hannover. As this was a trooper flight. As we settled in (or squeezed in) an RMP arrived and asked if he was speaking to Mr Baz. Yes says I, well Sir you are the highest rank on the plane (they took my civil service grade and converted it) and it would appear I was an honorary Brigadier. He wanted me to agree to a prisoner in chains to fly back to Germany... luckily a fellow passenger jumped in and helped out....(he was a proper

I once knew a Drama Advisor/HMI in pre-ofsted days (Tony will know what I'm talking about) who was inspecting a school at a military establishment in Germany. On the first evening he was taken to the officer's mess and they were all standing around enjoying the proverbial preprandial. He was always a good drinker but felt that this was going on a bit too long and eventually asked why everyone was waiting. He was told that they were waiting for the senior officer to take their seat.

"Who is the senior officer?" he asked.

"You sir" was the reply.

He too had been given a ridiculously high rank for the duration of his stay.

• Like 5

During WW2 my dad was promoted from Gunner to Bombardier. He went for a drink with his mates to celebrate and it ended up with MPs and a guardroom involved. Mother told us she received a letter telling her that her weekly pay from dad's wage had increased: followed very soon after by another saying it had gone down again.

The head of a university department where I once worked had made the trip from Private to Corporal and return several times during his WW2 service. Interestingly, once of the less senior members of the departmental staff had been his lieutenant during part of that service.

• Like 13

But Shirley Knott the same university enrollment number ;)

I used to be able to profess that I had more letters after my name than my boss had in his. The BSc (Hons), FRGS, FGS are legitimate. His name was Brian James. That didn’t make me a professor but it did make me a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and a Fellow of the Geological Society.

As time went by and my career went in a very different direction to my educational training I eventually gave up renewing the Fellowships and dropped the letters accordingly.

Quite superb bottle of Kiwi Sauv-blanc tonight with peach and melon flavours powering through an extremely easy-drinking fresh-style beverage. And only £5 from Ocado too. Had a surprise message from Neighbour (Upstairs) who is away for Easter with her family in Swanage. She mentioned she was missing her home here. I know all isn’t roses at “home” for her and it seems our regular tea-and-chat times make her feel very much more comfortable.

Off to bed now as the House of Fun beckons early in the morning. Sleep well. And special thoughts to those who may find that harder including Debs, Tony, Aditi and Chrisf.

At his peak, Dad was BSc (Hons) WhitSch PhD CEng FIMechE FIMarE. Note that the Mech and the Mar are Institutions as opposed to Institutes! Yes, there is a difference.

I just made it to BSc (Hons) with a close-run MSc in tow!

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

If my Civil Service grade was converted it would come out as bog cleaner!

At my last place of employment a thief managed to gain access to the Principal's office and steal something. After this security was enhanced throughout the college with card access. However one of my colleagues liked to come into work earlier than most tutors. Her card wouldn't let her into the building. The management didn't seem to be able to change the time on her card. They had the bright idea of giving her a status as "cleaning staff" as they had all areas, all times access.

• Like 19

Good evening all. Generic greetings all round. I hope your Sunday has been a positive one. I have to confess that today has been another mixed one. It started well with a trip out to the local Cats Protection Centre to take drop off a few bags of donations for the centre and for their shop. Then it was an enjoyable Sunday lunch in a local pub. 

The rest of the day was spent chained to the laptop completing more school work ahead of the new term. A small amount of this was for tomorrow, but the rest was for three or four weeks time - such is the desire that the school has to have planning on their server well in advance of the actual teaching time. This took quite a while and more than once I found myself getting cross with Amber and / or Sarah for disturbing me. It did not leave me with a good feeling, and provided another set of evidence to go in the "time to leave teaching" option box. 

Tomorrow, after school, I have an appointment with the accountant. That should give me an insight into whether one of my potential future options could be viable. Tomorrow night I will need to start the Deputy Head application although this may have to wait until I have completed the Avon deliveries for Sarah. Hopefully she will recover from her bout of sickness otherwise I may end up with her deliveries to do as well.

Sleep well all.

Andy

I believe that some Master's degrees are just purchased from your alma mater after 5 years or so.

Or are given free if you have a degree from another university, and are employed by the granting university for three years without committing gross moral turpitude.